FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So*, I hate this, but I can't help it, so I apologize. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: So*, I hate this, but I can't help it, so I apologize.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, not an Onanism thread. You were wishing, weren't you.

I've arrived at (returned to?) a state of being where I am unable to trust any new members -- to believe that they are being honest about who they really are (or, more to the point, who else they really are). Whether it is a rotten apple or two spoiling the whole barrel or whether the whole barrel is rotten, I don't know. For all I know the apples are all fine and I just need to clean the bucket.

Nonetheless, for those of you new members who deserve the benefit of the doubt and won't be getting it from me, at least on the inside, you have my sincere apologies. I'll refrain from further comment, and I'll see what I can do about returning to that state of trust as a default. And even if my thoughts don't reflect that trust, I'll work to ensure that my actions do.

Those of you who take advantage of that trust are schmucks.

--Pop

[Edit -- Whoops. * -- you know who.]

[ January 11, 2005, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you Pop....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, it's not just you. I realize I'm not far off from a newbie by any standards, but we seem to have a rush of posters recently registered with the exact same agenda. I don't find it funny, and truly wish the person behind it would just leave the board. [Frown]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I know just whatcha mean.

Remember when new memberships were halted for like two or three months?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that really happened?
Does it have to do with the /. thing?

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps with the recent slashdotting, it would be good to do so again.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think that we have /. to thank for this.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Idiots? On /.? Say it ain't so!
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yeah, Trish. That's why Bob_The_Lawyer is Bob_The_Lawyer instead of, say SoAndSo_The_Chemist, or whatever it is he does anyway . . .

We would let in new members whom we had screened by giving them our throwaway names.

[ January 11, 2005, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I've been pretty convinced that it's a single person working to just be a pain in the rear.

Would the thingy at /. have prompted this kind of stuff on this particular board? Are the same new posters showing up on the OSC discussion side as well?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Of course (EDIT, still talking to Pooka), when they did that, it was because of spammers, not just run-of-the mill idiots.

[ January 11, 2005, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Pascal's Lager would have to be a very very special poster.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Hehe!
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Space Opera- see for yourself. (short answer, yes- that side is more active than it has been in my 18 months here.)
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Too right, pooka (or am I supposed to call you Trisha?).

space opera

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
/.?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

I don't spaz out if people call me pooka. I still have a hotmail and a LiveJournal with that name. But I prefer Trisha. Though going through a period where we all call each other by real/old names always confuses the crap out of newbies. Maybe they don't care if they aren't really trying to get into things, though.

I have to say, I think Strawcatz is not a slashdotter, at least not of the sort. He had a bit of a faux pas with his first post, but I think he may have been assimilated.

:tents fingers: Exxxcellent.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I figured they were all different people, and mainly due to slashdot.

Some of the new newbies are great, though. I vote we keep them all and try to tame them. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Slashdot is a site with "News for Nerds", and is a pretty heavily traffiked web site. Slashdot is well known for the slashdot effect and for having a lot of trolls in its forums. Slashdot linked to hatrack the other day regarding that new Alvin Maker MMORPG that is being developed.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I don't spaz out if people call me pooka.
It took a full week of me calling her pooka after she changed her name before she came down on me. [Smile]
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Has that been the cause of the mid-morning overloads? They haven't been like traditional freezes where the oldest thread get dropped.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had fun singing "It's Not Easy Being Green", though.

I realize I'm pretty much a newbie, but I'm not a slashdotter, and I'm real. So there. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Draetakenna
Member # 4609

- posted      Profile for Draetakenna   Email Draetakenna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a newbie. See? I've been around since 2003! <points to registration date>
Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
My theory is that they were deleting some posts by certain trolls.

Hatrack's slashdotting was pointed out here

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Nobody's talking about you kq. You've been here since September and you have nearly a thousand posts.

So there.

[Razz]

[ January 11, 2005, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Well some of us noobs aren't from /.(me! [Cool] ). I've been stopping by these forums every now and again for the past few months, but only recently decided to register and post during my last read through of the Ender/Bean books. Now I'm reading the Alvin Maker books thanks to Hatrack( [Group Hug] ) and I'll probably be sticking around. [Smile]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Pooka, I'll start calling you Trisha then. [Wink]

You know, I recently realized that I'm suspicious of all newbies. *narrows eyes* Thank goodness Hatrack is full of all sorts of people. I never welcome people when I see a new name, and I never post in introduction threads. I guess it's not really suspicion, just a lack of friendliness which I try to tell myself is shyness.

Yep - that's me. Unfriendly, suspicious, mean old me.

space opera

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm such a hypocrite. I rarely (except to flame sometimes) address newbies, even though I really appreciated pooka's friendliness when I finally crawled out of the other side of the forum.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nobody's talking about you kq. You've been here since September and you have nearly a thousand posts.

So there.

That's kind of scary, isn't it? I mean, I just kind of jumped right in... That's something like an average of 3,000 posts a month! Or 750 a week! Yikes!

And I've already met more people from this forum than any other I've ever been on.

Wow.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I can sorta vouch for NinjaBird, if that helps at all. He met me in partypoker.com last night, and he seemed pretty cool, even if he DID beat me. [Big Grin]

Nothing is sure, but he seems OK...

Then again you dummies thought I was Otaku for a good 3 months, and I almost left for good because of e-mails and people just being asses to me, so me careful how you react...not every nOOb is an idiot, although we do seem to more than our fair share recently.

Kwea

[ January 11, 2005, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
shrugs, as a newbie I can say I'm not offended by your desire to be careful of who you trust. In the years I have been online, I have seen quite a lot of the darker side of people's online behavior...so I'm not surprised that many are nervous around new people.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Also, we all have a different idea what a nOOb is...for instance I didn't consider SO one until she just said so...

And Lupus, you have been here since May, right? That is not a noob, not to me. I haven't seen a ton of posts from you, but I recognize your name...

Space Opera
Member # 6504

Kwea, I'm actually "not far off a newbie." It's a special title created just for me. Consider it as though I've been around long enough to know people, but I'm still new enough to be refreshing. [Razz]

space opera

NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this forum is so much different then any other forum I've been to. At other forums I go to having 1000+ posts(or even 500+) would mean your not a noob. I guess this forum is a bit more active though, and the other forum I visit is a gaming forum so we kind of get to know each other by playing together, so I guess it makes sense.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
n00b status is generally based on your date of registration, not how many posts you've made. Mostly, I think, because there is so much history, so many inside jokes, and a lot of people to familiarize yourself with. Post count just doesn't give you as much exposure to these things as time does.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

You're pushing on two years, woman. Stop being so insecure. [Razz]

edit: Spelling - not just for breakfast anymore.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm not insecure. [Smile] I just want my obscene post count to be good for something. (Other than proving that I have no life, I mean.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Oh, yes. Ubiquity is VERY handy in establishing yourself as a 'racker. Neh? [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

That, or some sort of trademark.

And you got most of the good ones. [Big Grin]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That post count *is* obscene.

*shields eyes*

rivka
Member # 4859

[Taunt]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Actually, the most obscene post count would be very low...

I can't believe I'm posting this...

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just want my obscene post count to be good for something.
Obscene Post Counts are good for "size doesn't matter" double-entendres.

And I've heard they go great in potato salad.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
If status was determined by post count, I'd be an uber-noob. I'm not an uber-noob though. [Wink]
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
And then there are the lurkers, such as myself. I've been around since 2002 so I can't be called a Newbie, but currently I have only 131 posts. [Smile]

My posts aren't spread out quite as thinly as someone might think, though, because I tend to go through spurts of posting, and then months and months without.

[ January 11, 2005, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: reader ]

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that I am a nOOb and all but I had hoped to get to know a few of the folks on here...I only found out about the site after reading the Alvin series, and wanted to check it out...Now I am worried that someone may not be willing to talk to me because of my nOObiness.. [Frown]

Honestly I am a 29 year old woman, married with 2 kids a girl 7 named Mackenzie and a boy 1 named Wyatt, I live in Ohio (Toledo area) My Husband is a Huge computer gaming nerd and we are (with some friends) the founders of an online gaming team called Teambota ...I hope to atleast try to get acquainted with a few of you...

Nicole

[ January 11, 2005, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: BotaLadyG ]

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
My posts aren't spread out quite as thinly as someone might think, though, because I tend to go through spurts of posting, and then months and months without.

How do you do that?

No, really.

I think I have an addiction.

[ January 11, 2005, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

Bota, don't worry that people won't talk to you! It's only when new people come here and post inane or inflammatory things that they get ignored or laughed at. We've had enough people come here and do that that we're a little suspicious of new people. However, we're quick to welcome those who are willing to conform to community standards (which aren't that harsh, just things like politeness, a willingness to listen, and an attempt at reasonably good spelling and grammar--and we cut non-native English speakers a lot of slack on this). From what I've seen so far, I'm sure you won't have any problems at all. Check out some of the FAQ threads around here, but don't be afraid to jump right in! Welcome to Hatrack!

P.S. If you're into gaming, you could always start a thread on that topic. There are plenty of other gamers here, and it might be a good way to get to know some people.

[ January 11, 2005, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Shigosei.... I am usually pretty good with the grammar and spelling (my husband calls me his personal dictionary and thesarus) "honey how do you spell this and that?" lol

Also I am hoping that by posting a link to our site that some may visit me on my "home turf" so to speak... [Smile]

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.