FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So*, I hate this, but I can't help it, so I apologize. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: So*, I hate this, but I can't help it, so I apologize.
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you do that?

No, really.

I think I have an addiction.

There have been long stretches of time when I didn't post at all and yet still visisted Hatrack with some fair amount of regularity.

I'm like that in RL too, interestingly. Generally, I'm more of a listener, and don't feel the need to always inject my two cents - but every once in a while, when the topic shifts to something I'm interested in, I'll suddenly jump into (and try to monopolize) the conversation.

Also, I'm not a fluff-thread type of person, and I even though I read them, I don't post on the personal-stuff threads, and I've long ago been discouraged from posting on the religion/politics threads because the fact is that I'm just not going to convince anyone of my POV, so why bother? It's a bit of an apathetic attitude, I know, but I'm so, so busy now that spending the time it would take to write up a really thoughtful reply to a debate thread would seem like a waste of time. And to top it all off, I am very, very reluctant to reveal any information at all about my real life, which creates a very significant barrier here at hatrack.

Plus, this is not the only forum I post on. My other online presence is much more active.

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm still new enough to be refreshing.
--Space Opera

It's times like these I miss Slash most.

*sniffle*

*drinks SO and agrees that she is, indeed, refreshing*

*burninates her inexpertly*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just /., ever since OSC was announced as the writer on Ultimate Iron Man I've seen his name popping up on all kinds of comics forums. Generally the things associated with him most are 1) Ender's Game and 2) his column on homosexuality, which kicks off a long and often abusive thread about whether or not people want to read his comics if they don't agree with his philosophies.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
And back to the old issue, which Papa Moose stated (and subsequent posts):

Am I regarded as a newbie? 400+ Posts and 3 months online, yet causing some occasional roughness in the forum's steaminfg flow of intelligence... Abrasive, yet commonly accepted as one of the outer Hatrack circle; how am I classified?

I Hope noone dispises me here. If so, I'll give you the Russel Meta-Paradox of apologies!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You're still a newbie, Jon. But we know you aren't Bean Counter, so that's okay. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
jh, you're also half real, which counts for something.

(I'm in the same catagory as space opera, n00b wise, I think we have similar join dates)

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think hatrack should randomly shut down registration for a couple months every once in a while. I loved it because even after registration was up again we mostly got people who'd been waiting for a while to join. Trolls don't normally have that much patience. (I'm not trying to be hateful towards newbies. I like quite a lot of you, I just wish there was some way of screening the bad newbies out and keeping the good ones.)
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And Lupus, you have been here since May, right? That is not a noob, not to me. I haven't seen a ton of posts from you, but I recognize your name
I guess I just figured that I hadn't been here for a year yet...so I was still thought of as new. Good to see I am recognisable though. [Smile]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the *good* newbies think of themselves as new long after they actually are. Lol, I still think of myself as a newbie at times, and I really don't qualify anymore I don't think.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We would let in new members whom we had screened by giving them our throwaway names.

Really? It all makes sense now!

I always thought the rule was you are a newbie until you stop feeling like a newbie. If rivka feels like a newbie, I feel justified in my own insecurity- it's hard to feel totally 'old' when there are people so much 'older' than you [Wink] [Smile] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Teshi, that's the way I think of it too. Although I have to say that there are some people, like Farmgirl and sndrake that never seemed like newbies at all. They just kind of burst onto the hatrack scene fully formed, if you know what I mean.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl seemed like an old hand when I arrived 2 months later, one of those impossibly cool people who were "in."

So did rivka, and she's only ~6 months older than me here.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Athena from the head of Zeus. I stopped considering myself a newbie when I stopped griping about people not replying to my threads and started replying to theirs.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Exactly Trisha!

I have no idea when I stopped feeling like a noob.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a Hatrack user logon should be like G-mail; only by invitation.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hm...maybe it was when the 9/11 attacks occurred. I had sworn off Hatrack at that point, and hadn't been on for about 4 months. I had no real intention of coming back. When the attacks were happening, though, my first thought was to make sure that the people I knew here were all okay (I knew that my friends and family in real life were okay).
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
They just kind of burst onto the hatrack scene fully formed, if you know what I mean.
Oh, I know [Wink] .

Sometimes I have to check registration dates to remind myself they're newer than I am!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think a Hatrack user logon should be like G-mail; only by invitation.
That's just silly. Most people came here because they were fans of OSC, not because they were fans of hatrackers.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Admittedly, I tend to ignore most newbies until they give me a reason not to. It mostly comes down to stuff like posting "42" whenever a speculative question is raised, and other things done absolutely to death that they could have no knowledge of. Hatrack is all new to them, and expecting them to immediately assimilate a long-standing history is entirely unfair. So, instead of being snarky and impatient, I'm just indifferent.

Then I remember how assertively nice people were to me when I was a newbie, and then I feel guilt. ::wrinkles nose::

Ultimately, I really like newbies. I mean, they do add a new spice to the stew and even if it isn't always to my taste, at least it's different. And then every once in a while a newbie comes along that I feel a particular kinship with and I start to wonder how Hatrack ever did without them. Like Dagonee and ElJay, who make me wonder if they've been here forever and I just forgot. Or something.

And to be completely honest, the times when newbies are jerk-offs and I feel totally justified in being snarky are beautiful moments. I used to be snarky because I felt vicious protective of the 'rack, but now I just do it because it makes me feel warm and squishy inside.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
It mostly comes down to stuff like posting "42" whenever a speculative question is raised
<--- is a culprit of this. [Frown] [Blushing]
Scott R
Member # 567

Just what we need-- Ralphie McSquishy.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
<--- is a culprit of this. [Frown] [Blushing]
The only way to know that it's a 'rookie mistake' is to have been lurking for three years+ and read the thread that dubbed it as such. And it's not a 'mistake', it's just tired, which is a very different thing.

That was the only one I could think of off the cuff, but there are others. I think sometimes newbies wonder if people have even noticed that they just now made a kickin' reference, because frequently oversaturated references just get shrugged off. But people stay, find their own voice and rely less on references and more on original banter.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

And when all else fails, we can make boob references.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

EXACTLY.

Scott - go do that thing with the coding and the mozilla and make my name orange and flashing, already.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've been dying for 5 years to ask, Ralphie... Is that Star Wars kid REALLY going to play Ender?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

I would totally ignore you, Bok, but I know where I can find pics of you hot and dripping with sweat. So...

I'm not sure. What about that kid from the Sixth Sense? He would RAWK!

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
No way! Anakin could kick his butt!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So did rivka, and she's only ~6 months older than me here.
I've always thought rivka was the Hatrack matriarch, and never realized she was only here a handful of months before me... [Wink]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I hate the idea of invites. Think how many great people we wouldn't know if this place were invite only.

I think that I'm fairly welcoming to newbies. I don't go out of my way to welcome all of them, but if I see somebody new who comes across as either really promising or a little bit lost, I make a point of talking to them a bit. Newbies are our lifeblood--without them we'd stagnate more quickly than you might think. I remember feeling that that was happening during the several months that registration was closed. Even people like Bean Counter, whose purpose seems to be to plump up their own egos at the forum's expense by playing juvenile "look at me I'm so clever" have their place in the forum's overall ecology, I think.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
No way! Anakin could kick his butt!
[Roll Eyes]

n00bs.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Even people like Bean Counter, whose purpose seems to be to plump up their own egos at the forum's expense by playing juvenile "look at me I'm so clever" have their place in the forum's overall ecology, I think.
What's that expression? You've got to take the sand with the sandwiches? ants with the picnic? something like that.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

I don't agree that they have 'their place', as in a rightful place in the community. But short of shooting them all you can do is ignore them and hope they go away.
Bokonon
Member # 480

Ignored me for too long, you have.

Plus I know where to get pictures of your rack...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Even people like Bean Counter, whose purpose seems to be to plump up their own egos at the forum's expense by playing juvenile "look at me I'm so clever" have their place in the forum's overall ecology, I think
It's like minor exposure to a disease that builds herd resistance for when the European settlers show up offshore.

Dagonee

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Scott - go do that thing with the coding and the mozilla and make my name orange and flashing, already.
Why?
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then I remember how assertively nice people were to me when I was a newbie, and then I feel guilt. ::wrinkles nose::

"Well, that's because you've got big jugs.

"I mean, your boobs are huge..."

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_11
Member # 7232

- posted      Profile for Saint_11   Email Saint_11         Edit/Delete Post 
im a new member but i dont spam or anything, my friend told me about this after i introduced these books to them and he read the whole series. i love these books, but i dont know what the /. thing is would someone please explain it? [ROFL] [Confused]
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
"Well, that's because you've got big jugs.

"I mean, your boobs are huge..."

True. But they didn't know that at the time, and it was Ophelia who was nicest, so...

quote:
Why?
Cause. [Mad]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Ignored me for too long, you have.

Plus I know where to get pictures of your rack...

Ignored YOU? I'VE ignored YOU?

You didn't even want to talk to me on the phone, and had to be persuaded though it was long-distance. I think we know who the wounded party is, here.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Cause.
That isn't a good reason. That's not even a very good sentence.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

No, a good sentence is 25 to life.
Bokonon
Member # 480

Yeah, everyone else in the room. Look, I couldn't let the Ralphie-luv thang get out, so I had to play cool. Too coo for school. If you want to hang that over my head over a year later, I mean rilly.

Plus a Hatracker's mother was in the room, I could hardly say what I _wanted_ to say. Sheesh, have you no sense of propriety??

-Bok

Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
That isn't a good reason. That's not even a very good sentence.
Oh, I get it. You already have. In that case, good boy.

quote:
If you want to hang that over my head over a year later, I mean rilly.
Oh, no. Not simply one year later. Forever, my friend. Until the oceans dry up, the mountains crumble and you stop being all whiny all the time.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Bokonon
Member # 480

Dag, not if you are the defendant.

-Bok

Dagonee
Member # 5818

In Texas and Virginia, that's a great sentence if you're the defendant. [Big Grin]
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Oh, I get it. You already have. In that case, good boy.
Actually, no. I'll tell you what I've done-- I've recoded my Mozilla so that when I feel that I've felt enough pity for one day, I press a button and POOF!

All your posts disappear. And I am free to roam Hatrack, pity-free.

[Big Grin]

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even people like Bean Counter, whose purpose seems to be to plump up their own egos at the forum's expense by playing juvenile "look at me I'm so clever" have their place in the forum's overall ecology, I think.
Hey! I *am* clever.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Actually, no. I'll tell you what I've done-- I've recoded my Mozilla so that when I feel that I've felt enough pity for one day, I press a button and POOF!

All your posts disappear. And I am free to roam Hatrack, pity-free.

I know it's hard for you - the separation, the constant longing you feel in your heart... But feeling pity for yourself isn't the answer.

However, if it gets to be a burden and you just can't read my words without the longing bursting like a flame in your heart, I would completely understand the recoding. And applaud the strength of your decision.

Remember, Scott - This, too, shall pass.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Like a kidney stone.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Hey, nobody asked you.
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.