FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So*, I hate this, but I can't help it, so I apologize. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: So*, I hate this, but I can't help it, so I apologize.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't agree that they have 'their place', as in a rightful place in the community. But short of shooting them all you can do is ignore them and hope they go away.
An irritant can increase the host organism's robustness, or even result in the production of something beautiful. Despite the distain I feel for people who play the game Bean Counter has been dabbling in, I recognize that the threads they start often end up being quite successful and thought provoking.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the successful passing of a kidney stone.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at me! Look at me!
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
She's so clever!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
An irritant can increase the host organism's robustness, or even result in the production of something beautiful. Despite the distain I feel for people who play the game Bean Counter has been dabbling in, I recognize that the threads they start often end up being quite successful and thought provoking.
I'm dubious. I think that, as Hatrackers are fully capable of having successful, thought-provoking discussions sans butt-munches like BC, if you don't need them for such conversations then why have the little creeps around?

I actually think the times when we are least successful are when we encourage their thinly veiled attempts at discord by posting in their threads.

But I know that you speak from generosity, of which I have little for punks like that. So, I can't fault your opinion. You're just much nicer than I am. [Smile]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, celia, you're not clever, you're *evil*. Like Ralphie's rack, that is a Hatrack given.

Second of all, I want to see these pictures of hot, sweaty Bok. Make it so.

Thirdly, rivka isn't the Hatrack Matriarch, kacard is. [Smile] But rivka can be the Hatrack Auntie. (I loves me some rivka *hugs*)

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that n00b-ness is something that can be measured. I've known some completely civil n00bs...

It's just something that can only be measured by connection to the community and the amount of time one spends here... Like Rivka, she joined a month before I, but she has a stronger base in the community because, well.. SHE NEVER LEAVES. [Razz]

I don't remember who mentioned feeling like a n00b even though one is not... I think it's less feeling like a n00b and more feeling out of place or worried or saying something stupid accidentally. Since n00b is a new word, its meaning doesn't necessarily have a 1 to 1 correspondance for everyone. I mean, I personally couldn't say I ever feel like a n00b here, just because this is my internet home, but I often feel unsure of myself, or that I don't understand something, or like I've done/said something stupid. (shrug)

As near as I can tell, the people we could call the derogatory term "n00b" don't feel any such feeling at all, so I guess it's not a perfect description of the feeling.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First of all, celia, you're not clever, you're *evil*.
Hey, she's clever and evil. I think evil is so much more clever than good.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
jexx, they are just the same old foobonics photos. I don't think Ralphie knows about the Mad Owl photos...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, same old same old.

And I think I've seen the madowl ones. Still, another gander couldn't hoit.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Ahh, thanks for the linky, Ralphie, I'd forgotten about those. *VBG*

hot.sweaty.bok.

I'm trying to think of which actor he reminds me of (I can see him clearly in my mind), but the name escapes me. Ah well. It's the guy on Judging Amy who is the brother. Delicious!

I'm too lazy to look for the madowl photos right now, maybe later.

Do Not Tell Celia she is clever. It will bring on a spate of clownphotos (the most clever thing she has done, as far as I am concerned), and nobody wants that! [Wink]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Have you seen her avatar on GreNME? [Wink]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Know what's sad? I almost feel like too much of a newbie to post in this thread, but I know I'm not. My Foobonic pictures have been made fun of far too many times for that to be the case.

Well, until recently Hatchat wasn't a bad place to sort out the newbies; now it just seems cruel to keep it alive any longer. Bastaders... Oh man that was classic.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Proof that evil is *far* more clever than good. [Evil]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Oh, her avatar on GreNME is quite evil and clever, yes, but the clown stuff was *classic*. Now stop talking about her, you will summon the Evil One!

[Angst]

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I get enough resistance from folks that aren't noobs but simply disagree with me.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

How do you know that I'm not "the evil one"?
celia60
Member # 2039

[Smile]

I *really* need to get involved in another elaborate prank.

I like my current office mates and don't feel the desire to rain sweet vengence down upon anyone in my life at the moment.

I'm fedying away.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come now people, I'll grant that celia may well be clever and all, but evil... She's no more an evil aspect of Hatrack than tooth decay is of a candy store.

By the way celia, did we ever declare a ceasefire? And if so, have I broken it yet?

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

beverly, that link was great! And disturbing! I'd like to think I am like Vendetta, but I have always been a Charlotte. *snickers at self*

eslaine, you may be *An* evil one, but there is only one Evil One. [Razz]

edit: Ack! There she is! Run!

[ January 11, 2005, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: jexx ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The tequila for Steve and half of my birthday present were pretty evil, so you aren't that out of practice.
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Number of dobies?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

My kids love those animations. I wonder if I am sick for showing it to them. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

I think we've been at a cease fire since that rather humiliating mafia game where you decided to be my knight in shining armor. I'm not sure if that's because suddenly I got a little crush on you or because you went and graduated and are never on AIM anymore so we just haven't crossed paths.

Wait, I always had a crush on you.

I thought of you when I was lost in Huntsville, but that was the week after you were there if this is the year you were there. Or were you there and did you swap around the road signs so I took the wronge exit on the parkway?

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything you always wanted to know about dobies* but were afraid to ask
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

Yeah, the Mafia game was the reason I conceeded clever without a fight. But considering I got selected and killed by the SK in the only other game I played, look how far paling up with a Mafioso got me.

Alas, I was not in Huntsville this (or last) year. You were fooled by the sign-switches of some random person. Possibly even an Alabaman.

Feyd Baron, DoC

And I wonder if AJ remembers the Bastader reference...

jexx
Member # 3450

no problem, bev, I let Christopher watch homestarrunner *shame*. I'll probably let him watch this one, too, if he should be in the room when I am playing them (I totally bookmarked it! *grin*). I have let him watch the muffin ones by the same artist. Oh, and of course Punk Kittens and Viking Kittens. I want him to be a punk rocker when he grows up, so I can live vicariously through him.

*bad, bad mommy*

Hehe.

celia60
Member # 2039

Why was the tequila evil?

I know the birthday gift was, but that was a small evil granted to me by providence and not a large elaborate trap involving minions of any sort.

edit: lol, me being drunk does level the playing field for you, bastader. and you as doc with me as townie would have been grand if the board hadn't killed us all.

[ January 11, 2005, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

A mafia game would be so nice right now.
beverly
Member # 6246

Jexx: Heh. It is weird to me to think of this younger generation growing up on internet animations. [Razz]

I grew up listening to 8-track songs and stories. [Eek!]

jexx
Member # 3450

bev: I know. Hehe. I remember hiding under the covers with my little radio so I could clandestinely listen to the Dr. Demento show. *grin*
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A mafia game would be so nice right now.
I was just thinking about Mafia the other day!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quetzalcoatl the Burninator
Member # 7261

- posted      Profile for Quetzalcoatl the Burninator   Email Quetzalcoatl the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
**Burninates Thread**

MMmmmmm Mafia.....

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
You were unintentionally evil? Steve *hates* tequila. I thought you knew...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading posts and threads ridiculously more than I ever thought I would, and I'm still learning all kinds of things. There is definitely a ton of inside stuff that you have to pick up or figure out because there aren't any explanations anywhere. (It's almost embarrassing, how long it took me to figure out what a Jatraquero is, lol.) I think that that stuff makes the forum a lot more worthwhile though. [Smile]
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I'm sorry, but I just have to express my mind on this one.

Hatrack-style Mafia is *lame*. Our way is *so* much better. [Razz]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
And *who* made the GreNME avatar? Huh? Huh?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
But, but, didn't he feed me tequila last time I was there?
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Kama Rocks [Cool]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I don't remember who mentioned feeling like a n00b even though one is not... I think it's less feeling like a n00b and more feeling out of place or worried or saying something stupid accidentally. Since n00b is a new word, its meaning doesn't necessarily have a 1 to 1 correspondance for everyone. I mean, I personally couldn't say I ever feel like a n00b here, just because this is my internet home, but I often feel unsure of myself, or that I don't understand something, or like I've done/said something stupid. (shrug)

This is exactly what I wanted to say. I feel very left out at hatrack. On the one hand I love it because it's very interesting and I love learning about people and their lives. On the other hand though, it's more like I'm reading a novel than participating in a community, I just sort of watch other people being part of the community.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I have heard so many people say stuff like that. My friend, Nate, who was here for awhile as Intelligence3, left for a very similar reason... he left like there was an "in" crowd and if you weren't part of it, people didn't respond to you.

I very much felt that way until I went to KamaCon and met a lot of people in person. I don't know if the change was due to more of the "in" crowd knowing me, or if I was more outgoing and posted more after meeting people, or some combination thereof. So I don't know what to tell people who feel that way. But it makes me sad that people I consider part of the community (I'm talking to both of you, Ryuko and blacwolve) don't feel like part of it themselves.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I feel very left out at hatrack.
Nobody should feel like that, but I am very, very confident when I say that that isn't how you're percieved by anyone else. You're part of Bloomington, you're real, you're very contributing, and heck, OSC has responded to you! That's more than most of the so-called oldies.

-----

It does remind me a little of the Beautiful People in Dallas, though. Despite the fact that I've been friends with them for a year, and despite being on the committees, organizing things, having in jokes, and being invited to most things, I still don't feel part of it. I don't know why, but then, the first two nights of KamaCon I went to bed early because I felt a little out of place and didn't know where/if I fit in anywhere. Maybe most people feel like that often/sometimes?

Added: Dagnabbit, I3 left? But he was so funny! [Frown]

[ January 11, 2005, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

He is very funny. And he might come back, he didn't say it was for good. *shrug* But yeah, he both felt not particularly welcome, and then there were a couple of meta-threads about hatrack that he felt reinforced the exclusiveness attitude.

If you make it for the henna party, you can probably meet him. [Smile] He's hilarious in person.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I really like funny. [Smile]

I worry about the metathreads and the welcomeness sometimes. There's such a definite culture that it does seem hard to break into - not on purpose, and not out of anything like snobbishness, but you have to be determined and sometimes it may not be worth it.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I felt that way for the first year or two that I was posting. I think part of it is that the community is so big that it’s easy to get lost in the shuffle. And it can take a long time to feel like you’ve been noticed, unless you do something spectacularly memorable.

Heck this whole “wedding” thing is really just a ruse because Bob and I wanted more Hatrack attention.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
And tell Nate to come back.

[ January 11, 2005, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Yeah. I know it's not on purpose, and I think the metathreads have their value. But since we all like each other so much, it makes it daunting for new people. (Like I said, I felt that way, and I had the "in" of being dkw's sister.)
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Is there anything we can do about that? Anne Kate, bless her heart, was the reason I think I didn't feel that way at first, but she can't be everywhere. I remember when she started posting less - I'd been on Hatrack for over a year and almost left then because I was so terrified of posting here by myself.

My method of getting noticed was, I think, to pick fights with Tom Davidson. I watch newbies do the same thing now and I CAN'T BELIEVE I WAS SO UNORIGINAL AND OBVIOUS. *sigh*

ElJay
Member # 6358

*shrug* I don't know that there's anything we can do. I will try to get Nate to come in here and explain how he felt, like he told it to me, since I'm sure I'm not doing it justice.

I think part of it is feeling secure in your place at hatrack. That's something that comes with time, and the question becomes if it's worth it to people to put that time in.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I think most of us see large parts of Hatrack happening without our participation; the forum is just too large for a person to take part in everything (particularly the stuff that involves physical gathering). That doesn't mean that one is left out of hatrack, it just means hatrack is large and full of stuff.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.