FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What made you happy today? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: What made you happy today?
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
I went with Joel to work on building the set and hanging lights for a Gilbert & Sullivan show over at MIT. I wasn't too thrilled with the tech process, because nobosy seemed to know what was going on or how to do anything. But after a while of feeling generally useless there, I happened to glance down the hall and noticed people folkdancing. I went over there and they had live music and they were teaching newcomers and I danced for about two hours and it was so much fun! And I'm happy because they do it every week, so I'm gonna go back again next Sunday.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
This morning my art teacher asked me if I was going into art because, she said, "you are good at it."

That made my day.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone invited me over for chocolate pudding cake last night. Mmmm. . . .
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
England won the Grand Slam!!!!! Three years running we fell at the final hurdle, last year we lost to France, this year... what a match! It was fantastic, lived up to all expectations... Ireland gave us a hard time in the first half, and then in the second half we ran away with it, romping all over the pitch, scoring tries from everywhere.... and we won the grand slam with our best performance of the tournament. Next stop, the World Cup! (I will be most impressed with anyone who can name the sport in question).
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to toot my own horn for a bit if you don't mind -

I got accepted into upper division graphic design, which basically means I get to stay in the program and graduate. (YAHOO!)

I've been waiting for my letter since Friday, and it finally came - all soggy because it was hanging out of the mailbox, but still legible.

This is areally big deal because the graphic desgin program at MSU is among the top 30 in the nation, private & public schools included. There were over 80 applicants in portfolio review this year, and only 36 openings.

Now I get to spend thousands of dollars more for a degree I could have had this spring if I would have figured out a major earlier. Yippee!!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
After a grueling three years waiting tables at TGIF, I've finally been promoted to bartender!

Stop by your local Friday's sometime and check out the guys tossing bottles--that'll be me!

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I finally replaced the hideously ugly shoes that I dreaded putting on in the morning with brand new shoes! In the right color this time!

(note: despite what the cobbler says, you can't dye tan suede black.)

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Next stop, the World Cup! (I will be most impressed with anyone who can name the sport in question).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would that be soccer?

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Cricket.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a freaking world cup in a dozen freaking sports. [Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I went roller-skating yesterday and didn't break any bones!

Though I suppose I should explain why this is such a good thing. The first time I went skating was just over six years ago. I promptly fell and broke my wrist. Two months later, I tried skating again. I was doing much better until I broke my thumb. I decided that skates and I don't go together.

But last night, I broke nothing more than my record! I only really fell once, though I did have a couple close calls. I think I'll attribute my success to the fact that I was holding hands with a cute girl. She was very patient and helpful, which I really appreciated.

[ April 15, 2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Waking up. The sunshine. The soft, warm spring breeze coming through my open windows. The sparrows chirping on my balcony as they flit about the bird feeder. Wearing one of my favorite, comfy dresses. Making plans for the day. Petting Raina.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
My good friend got a call-back for the part of Danny in "Grease" at a local community theater. He's been desperate to play the part since he found out they were doing the show...that was six months ago.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Reading Leonard Cohen reviews and interviews (there are hundreds online). I just put my head down and laugh. God help me, it isn't rational, but I absolutely adore this man.

I'm not a stalker, just quietly obssessed. I spend my life on one career, and it looks like now that I've finally gotten the hang of enjoying music, well ... it's just going to be one singer.

(But migosh, how can you not laugh? From a 1993 review:

quote:
With his close-cropped gray hair, his large features and his lined face, Mr. Cohen looked something like a singing Easter Island head. He introduced many songs by gravely intoning some lyrics as poetry, and he usually sang while standing nearly motionless, eyes closed, his face a mask of penitence that only occasionally showed a smirk.

For Mr. Cohen, the concert is a somber ritual, not to be broken even by obstreperous audiences -- "Thank you for your incoherent screaming," he said calmly after one outburst -- and he ended his Paramount show with a biblical benediction ...

Screamingly funny. Yes, a singing Easter Island head, and yes, utterly beautiful. And yes, calmly, with great dignity, "Thank you for your incoherent screaming." Thank you all.

Good heavens, he is a riot.)

[ April 15, 2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful weather and ice cream at our staff meeting!
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
80 degree weather.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I wore a swishy black skirt from Geneva, painted my toenails purple, and wore tall strappy sandals. It was cold and miserable and rainy, and I splooshed around looking fun and feminine, happily dry beneath my little black umbrella from Paris.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Flowering trees here in Portland. They're stunning, all pink and fluffy white. And the fact that I go to school down town and can walk under the newly green canopy...I love the city in Spring. It made me happy today.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
My companion's smile when I woke up.
[Smile]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Today is a good day. The sun is shining. There was good music on the radio when i woke up. Hopesfall is playing a concert tonight. what more you could you ask for in a day. I sure dont know.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Waking up to a quiet house. Little brothers at school, parents not arguing, the dogs not barking... [Smile] 'Tis a little piece of paradise.
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorri
Member # 2195

- posted      Profile for Snorri   Email Snorri         Edit/Delete Post 
Spring is here - and I'm off work in less than a week!
Posts: 394 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Morning class got cancelled.
I got into a class I wanted later in the day (a course about devil-figures in literature).
I took an evening walk through the English Gardens with a new friend.

It has been a lovely day. [Smile]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Had a day off from work.
Got a letter from my girlfriend.
Gave a good speech in English class.

Reading these posts!

[Smile]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice weather and reading in the park.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
*ba-da-BUMP*

So yeah, my life is pretty crappy right now. But it's not all bad! That's why I'm bumping this, to remind me of the good things in my life. So, here's what made me happy today:

• Writing an essay about the Buffy finale
  • Talking to people in Hatrack chat
  • Watching my cat sleep on the blue chair when I'm on the computer. I love the way she follows me around the house
  • Eating a darn good homemade hamburger for dinner
  • Finding another job posting that sounds cool! (Assistant Software Editor-Math)
  • Going for a walk when it's sunny but cool outside
Yeah, definitely some good in my life. [Cool]
--xnera

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My son put his arms around my neck and said "I love you mama."

The speech therapist for the county told me neither one of the twins qualified for services, in fact they were scoring way above averages now. They've come a long way, since this time last year they were both six months behind.

While we were at the meeting Daniel kept picking up puzzle pieces and naming the shapes and colors, "This blue oval Mama? This red circle?" The kindergarten teacher said she had quite a few students who couldn't recognize the difference between ovals and circles and squares and rectangles. She was most impressed. I felt like a good Mom. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
My so called boyfriend wouldn't talk to me for a few days, so I felt like I lost a best friend and a boyfriend in 1 when he asked to break up yesterday. He claimed I didn't talk to him. I didn't talk to him because I was always excluded from things. It created thunderstorms in my eyes for 2 whole nights and made me miserable. I would confide in others willing to know only to receive their pity. I hated it.. I just wanted to find his friendship with me again..

We finally talked today and I haven't smiled this big for a long while.. guess friends do find your faults but still know how to make you smile..

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Every day: Driving with the windows open on a cool night, with the radio blasting. Especially if it's a little humid, but still cool.

Today in particular: Elfquest

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saruman
Member # 2275

- posted      Profile for Saruman           Edit/Delete Post 
Trimmed my toenails.
Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Visiting Hatrack and finding out that other people hated the Matrix Reloaded as much as I did. Yeah! Go Two Towers [Big Grin]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend just got his SAt scores back and found out he got a 1470, includng a perfect math score!!! He's just getting over strep, and has been feeling down because he hasn't gotten very much college mail for some reason, so this is doubly wonderful.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saruman
Member # 2275

- posted      Profile for Saruman           Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid, happy people.
Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Happy Smitten Guy
Member # 5096

- posted      Profile for Mr. Happy Smitten Guy           Edit/Delete Post 
Come here and give me a hug, Saruman!

((((((Saruman))))))

Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
A dandelion fight on the walk in from the parking lot! [Big Grin]

And beautiful weather!

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Happy Smitten Guy
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

Successfully giving someone else a tutorial on material that I'm supposed to know for finals in a week's time - which means I must at least vaguely know the stuff.
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Hugs from the people I love on the last day of school made me very happy. Friends are good things! [Smile]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Received an email from a friend who was over in Iraq with the Marines letting me know that he's back in the States.

The weather's great, we're almost completely moved, and we got our cable hooked up yesterday. [Smile]

[ May 22, 2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's the last day of school and instead of crying for everyone, I'm happy that I have my best friend back. I'm going to miss all of my classmates but it can't beat having my best friend back after such a depressing interference..

It's times like these I can't stop smiling in such a pressuring world.

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steerpike
Member # 5179

- posted      Profile for Steerpike   Email Steerpike         Edit/Delete Post 
What made me happy today?
I dunno, nothing noteworthy, but I'm in a pretty good mood regardless; and I guess that makes me happy.

Oh, the cheesiness. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 80 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Linen makes me happy.

A donation came in today, and deep in the bottom of one mildewy box I found a set of six linen napkins that actually goes with a linen tablecloth that my aunt gave me, and my boss said I could keep them!

Did I mention I love linen?

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have to go back to work for till thursday next week.
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My boyfriend (the rest doesn't matter)
blacwolve -- That's the first time I've EVER heard you say that! Wow! Congrats officially, now...

See? THAT makes me happy! [Smile]

[ May 22, 2003, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Raia ]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Shiina Ringo!!! She's so wonderful! I can't believe how good her songs are!
She's like all these wonderful musicians rolled into one and has this expressive low voice and she's from Japan and all of her stuff is just sheer bliss with all this wonderful texture, style and passion!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, what a good day!
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, right....

[Razz] [Big Grin]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thrilled that I am, in fact, not totally surrounded by fearful insecure people. Just that fearful, insecure people are a lot louder than reasonable, well-rounded people.

That sounded awfully negiative, and cynical. I deserve to be, though. My week has been terrible, lemons into lemonade, I guess. [Smile]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, what made me happy today? I'm happy today because tommorrow is my last day of public school FOREVER! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Tommorrow will be the best day of my life. That is, after my car gets out of the shop. [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting 'hugged' by people on that hug thread. Woot!

Erm...I am a fearful insecure person. But I don't think I'm all that loud...>grin<

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.