FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why Bo Bice will win American Idol. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Why Bo Bice will win American Idol.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Bo has a habit of picking songs that are meant to be played with at least 15 minutes of jamming, and then having to edit them down to 2 minutes of vocals. The songs don't sound near as good that way, but Bo manages to make it work as well as possible for his purposes. And I like the fact that he refuses to pick the same pre-packaged pop cheese that is expected. Yeah, this wasn't the version of "Freebird" that I'd want to listen to. But it was still far less irritating than "Let's Hear It For the Boy."

And I really liked what he said tonight about being in the bottom three. I honestly believe that he doesn't care, which I've never seen before in any season of this show. He liked what he was doing before the show, and the worst that could happen is that he goes back to doing that. Of course he failed to mention that he's now a celebrity (by some definition) and he'll probably be playing much bigger gigs and having albums for sale in Best Buy. I guess that doesn't hurt his feelings either.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night Bo got back in the game, I'm glad to say. After his "Freebird" debacle he really needed to come through. And he did, in spades! I was cringing when I heard what the theme for the night would be. Was thinking, "Bo is not going to do well." But he picked the perfect song for himself.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Oh, yeah. "Vehicle" and "September" are two of my favorite songs anyway, and two of my favorite performers did them in a row. Outstanding versions too, even if Bo did mess up the lyrics of the chorus every time he sang it. I was loving the end of last night's show more than I ever thought I could, considering that it's American Idol.

But I didn't think his version of Freebird was that bad either, considering the circumstances.

Vonzell's really picking up her game. I almost always hate her song selection, and last night was no exception, but I can't deny that she's been performing them excellently these past few weeks. She seems like a really nice person, too. I wouldn't mind seeing her win, even though I wouldn't touch any album she made with a ten foot pole.

And was I mistaken, or was last night one of Carrie's worst performances? I hate that song anyway, so maybe I'm biased, but her voice was so quiet on the low notes that you couldn't even hear her until she got to the choruses. And her timing seemed way, way off. I wonder if Simon raved over her performance just because he doesn't want her to get voted off and prove him wrong. Although he did roast her last week for what I thought was a much better showing. Maybe it's just me.

And Scott... what was that all about? Everyone kept saying that it was the perfect song for him. Of course it was; it had a range of about half an octave, and the same few words over and over again so that even he could remember them. I could have done a decent job with that song, and I suck. Scott is the only person left that isn't at least making a case for himself. Why is he still there?

Holy crap, I'm way too into this season. I hope no one I know reads this post. *hides head in shame* [Blushing]

[ April 20, 2005, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Holy crap, I'm way too into this season. I hope no one I know reads this post. *hides head in shame*

Too Late!!!!

[Laugh] Speed

Shame...SHAAAAAME!!!!! [No No]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gossip
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for gossip           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone want a mp3 for a singer? Just name the singer, and I'll get it for you.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed, I also loved what Bo said about his life if he loses. The thing is, I think the same is true of Anwar and Constantine, too. And it shows, in that they are will willing to take chances.

Bo is sitting pretty, big time. As you mentioned, he could care less, because he has already won! The worst that could happen to him now is that his band gets major national exposure, and he makes a boatload of cash.

I was so nervous last night, but he pulled it off! (I must say, he sort of skirted the disco bit)

As for hiding, Speed, no way. I proudly display my American Idol addiction on my groupie list, get scoffed at here and there, and get lost of private emails. Hee hee.

You are right, it wasn't that Freebird was badly done, it was just that it was done.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

I watched American Idol last night for the first time this season. I usually watch the last few shows when the best of the best are competing.

I must say I thought EVERYONE was very AVERAGE. I didn't get any connect, except with the blond guy. I am assuming from this thread that he is Bo.

Nope--it was Anthony. He looked relaxed and like he was having fun.

I liked his voice, attitude, and look. I hope he wins. I didn't see the last singer, but from what I heard from the judges, he must have been great.

I certainly don't get that Scott Savol. He tries to hard with the attitude. His singing was so bad--but Paula and Randy loved him. I don't get it.

Bo...hmm...I haven't followed the season. Was he the last singer? If so, I missed him.

[ April 20, 2005, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

To those ashamed of watching AI. Last night I got a call from an old Navy buddy that I haven't seen in over ten years. It was about halfway through the show and I told my buddy, "Who the hell calls during the middle of American Idol?"

His response. "You @#@#$, I've lost all respect for you! I'm hanging up now."

I called him back once the show was over.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Anthony did very well last night.
I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that he is Russian born? Folks I have talked to who visit Eastern Europe say they are still pretty much into disco. So it may have been more natural for him.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

quote:
I didn't get any connect, except with the blond guy. I am assuming from this thread that he is Bo.

Nope--it was Anthony. He looked relaxed and like he was having fun.

I liked his voice, attitude, and look. I hope he wins.

Oooh, trolling again, are we? [Razz]
lem
Member # 6914

Hatrack needs a *smack* Graemlin!

Speed :smack graemlin: .

Once we have one, I will edit this post and insert it. [Evil Laugh]

gossip
Member # 4849

Major props to Bo for what he just did.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
what? what did he just do? Agh! I forgot to watch tonight! Who was voted off tonight?
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gossip
Member # 4849

Anwar.

So they divided the remaining 7 singers up 3 on one side, 3 on the other, with Bo sitting on the couch. They told him he was safe, and then asked him to join the group he thought was the top preformers. He stood in between the two groups.

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
That is very cool. Good way to stand up for your friends.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
should not have been Anwar! Should have been Anthony...

..not that it will matter in the end. It will be Bo at the final curtain.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh....why is Scott still on this show? Fess up, who is voting for him?
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Farmgirl, do you think so? I hope so, but...

ANWAR?!?!?!?!?

How dare they!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

My husband voted for Scott last week. He loves him. Do not ask me why. We may be connected by law and by God, but I take no responsibility for his choice in American Idol contestants.
urbanX
Member # 1450

OK....and who votes for Antony? Don't be shy.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Maybelline Mascara votes for Anthony. They have a whole voting block.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

First Nadia, now Anwar...

There's no reason to watch that show.
Totally lame...

[Cry]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Are you serious? I'm at work, and I didn't hear what happened (of course, they're just playing it here in Utah right now anyway). I'd smack you for leaving out the spoiler warnings, but I knew what I'd get when I opened the thread. I did not, however, count on this. I've seen concrete examples of human stupidity on a mass scale, but I can't even believe this. I'm just going to assume that you're all lying until I see it for myself.

Dude, I dug the heck out of Anwar. And no one should get voted off after picking Earth, Wind & Fire to groove on, unless they totally ruined it (which he certainly did not). I actually voted for him several times last night, as much as it shames me to admit.

I'm most peeved. [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Speed
Member # 5162

There's only one thing that can save this season now.

J-pop night.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]
Unfair, unfair!
How the HECK could they get rid of my two favourites?
Who were soooooooooo sexy? [Cry] [Grumble]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We may be connected by law and by God, but I take no responsibility for his choice in American Idol contestants.
[ROFL]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott has some kind of serious superglue to keep making it each week. I don't get it. There is no way it should have been Anwar. But then, I don't vote, so I guess I should shut up.

I was gratified to see Anthony in the bottom three finally, though I think it's funny that it comes on a week where I thought his performance was pretty good considering. The top four were exactly who they should be, though I'm not sold on Vonzell.

And what in the world are they thinking of giving Ryan Seacrest a walk of Hollywood Star??

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thanks, Mack.

Speed, I feel your pain and anger, and disillusionment with the human race in general.

Jeniwren, say it isn't so! Ryan Seacrest did not get a star. I refuse to believe it. I am now closing my ears with my fingers and humming loudly.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yeah - he got a Star on the walk. They said it was in recognition of his work in radio -- before he got started on Idol.

And now they are advertising some other spin-off show that Seacrest will host -- a Top 40 kinda deal. Lame.

Farmgirl
(and I guess I should complain so much about Anwar getting voted off -- since I never got around to voting at all. Next week, I will vote.)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh...the top 40 show has been his from before Idol, actully. He got it from Rick Dees, who was the person who sponsered Ryan's star on the Walk of Fame.....but only under preassure from his radio station... [Big Grin]

Anwar was one of the best contestants. Scott is pretty good, but no where as good as Anwar was evey week so far.

Anthony should be gone within two weeks, but at this point who knows?

quote:
Major props to Bo for what he just did.
Came off scripted to me, he wasn't suprised at all.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Anwar! I think he'll still be really successful as a singer. Someone will give him a record deal.

I had my top five all picked out, but now two of them are gone. I still have Bo, Constantine, and Carrie. Vonzell is good. I don't really like Scott. And I don't think Anthony is as bad as everyone else thinks he is. I mean, out of thousands of auditioners, the judges did pick him for the top 24, and I think they know what they're talking about.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmoG
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for SmoG   Email SmoG         Edit/Delete Post 
Bo Bice is the worst of the top singers right now. He is ugly, he is off key, and he is bland. Constantine or Carrie will win this competition, unless, of course, they were voted out this week, because I missed it.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I disagree with your assessment of Bo, SmoG, but I tend to like voices with depth and richness, and his voice has those qualities.

Kwea, you bring up a good point about Bo. I thought it was cool that he did that, but something rankled. Also, last week, when they knew he was in the bottom 3, they made the voting off show an hour.

Do they know he is going to win? Is it rigged somehow? Something just seems a little weird about it. Just a feeling, really.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Constantine is smug, and I can't figure it out. He has very little to be smug about....other than somehow still being in the case at this point.

He isn't good, although he is getting better.

Bo Bice will do fine either way, but Carrie is verygood as well.

Constantine should never have made it past the third or fourth week.

Then again, half the people there don't deverve to be there, anyway. [Dont Know]

[ April 21, 2005, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Constantine plays the "hot" factor. That is why he is still in. And he is also fine eithr way. Carries has a nice voice, but she bores the bejeepers out of me.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Funny..I loo at hm and think "sleezy dirtbag", not hot......and most of the women I talked to about this think the same.

Not everyone does, of course. But I personally don't know a single woman who thinks he is hot.

Oh well.... [Dont Know]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Anyone else notice how much Constantine plays the camera?

No matter what else is going on around him or who is talking -- he is looking directly into the TV camera -- like trying to milk "that look" for all it's worth. I noticed it a lot during the group-jam song last night, and then made it a point to watch for it the rest of the time.

It detracts.

Farmgirl

Crotalus
Member # 7339

Random musings about Constantine:

Constantine has that same intangible 'something' that Hugh Grant also has. Something about their face just makes me want to punch them right in the nose.

Constantine looks like an ugly girl. And his name sounds like a girl's name. I mean, who names their male child 'Constantine' these days.

If you start off sucking as bad as Constantine did, if you improve at all, then everyone will say "wow, he's improved so much." So I guess the lesson is: Set the bar LOW.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I agree that Constantine is more pretty than sexy, but he is considered hot by the masses, and hence his success. And he plays the camera for all it is worth, for sure.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Crotalus -- in all fairness -- I don't think it is right to judge based on a name his parents picked out for him. It isn't like he had any control over that particular aspect of his identify.

And I can certainly think of worse names...

Farmgirl

Crotalus
Member # 7339

I'm just taking potshots at the guy cause i don't like him. The truth probably is that his real name is Jimmy or something and Constantine is just the stage name he picked for himself. Bet i'm right.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Pretty sure you're wrong. Constantine is his real name. He talked about it on one of the shows.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

He's of Greek descent. The name isn't that strange when you take that into account.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I guess the question of Constantine's real name has been put to rest.

Did anyone else find this week particularly... weak?

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

[Grumble] Probably because some of the best people got booted off. [Grumble]
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I thought it was overall not all that good. I confess I downloaded the mp3's before the show played here on the west coast. The only one that was listenable was Bo's.

I love Carrie. She's probably the only one whose album I would buy. But I wouldn't buy it if she sang country, which is surprising, since that's her supposed forte and I actually do like country music. I *loved* her rendition of "Alone". I also liked her take on Joan Jett. I *really* didn't like her song tonight, and find her very boring as a country singer. She just doesn't have enough sass. If the song has sass, it seems like she really gets into it, and that's what I'd buy. The voice with songs that play into an oomph she doesn't carry on her own.

It will be a crime if anyone other than Scott goes tomorrow, though I wouldn't cry if Anthony got the axe.

urbanX
Member # 1450

I've finally come to peace with the whole Scott thing. His own family pointed out to why Scott is still around. He's 100% average. He's like 50 million other guys out there. He has no remarable story to tell. He's not a rocker. He doesn't have great looks. He doesn't have tons of charisma. And he doesn't stand a chance after last night. As Simon said, "I'd pack my bags if I were you."
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bo was the only one who was good last night, I thought. I thought Anthony was actually really good.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody sucked last night, except maybe Vonzell, and I'm not sure about her because I missed most of her song.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Vonzell was off key the whole song.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.