FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why Bo Bice will win American Idol. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Why Bo Bice will win American Idol.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I still can't find the title anywhere, Farmgirl, can you just tell me?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"In a Dream," by Badland
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, and it was "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me." Duh.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Wow, I know there is a more recent AI thread, but I could not find it.

Anyway, I thought last night was Bo's worst night ever! oh no!

But, as another thread said, I kind of hope he does come in second. I think Carrie would benefite more from being the American Idol, and Bo would benefit more from being second. He would have less contractual constraints. He already has a music career started, and already has a huge boost from this exposure. Carrie would gte more performance time, which she needs.

OK, let's vote here!

I say Carrie will win, based on last night and Simon's plug for her.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

(OK, duh, this is the thread, I was reading the first page)
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I voted for Bo, and not for Carrie.

She was just too "pitchy" to be considered the "best" of the two. Flat on tones several times, and she couldn't get the emotion -- really get into the songs and crowd the way he does. She needs to learn stage presence.

As one judge said -- Bo could sing the Webster's dictionary and we would probably like it. Because he knows how to get people into his songs.

Carrie made a mistake in picking a Martina McBride song -- no one can sing those the way Martina does, and it made her look shallow in comparison to the way people are used to hearing it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was just lame. They get somebody to write some crappy original songs just so they can popularize them and put them on a CD without having to share royalties. Then, after they force these people to sing their weak little songs, they rip them because the songs suck.

It's really a very clever way of popularizing their songs. Both contestants have to perform them like they're the best songs in the world or they'll lose the contest. My wife and I were feeling so sorry for them both last night, selling their souls to The Man. We could just imagine all the other people from the top 12 sitting in the audience saying, "Thank God I'm not up there for this."

That being said, last time Bo did Vehicle sounded much better. I don't know... I really don't care that much who wins. But I do think it would be kind of amusing to have Bo incorporated into the posters and CGI title sequences next year. Carrie looks just like an American Idol, and I'd find it quite entertaining to see some bearded hippie's image mixed in with Kelly Clarkson and Reuben Studdard. Otherwise, whatever. I don't think it matters too much at this point.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
I think Carrie would benefit more from being the American Idol, and Bo would benefit more from being second.
Actually, Liz, I was thinking just the opposite. Getting second would allow Carrie to make a countryalbum -- because that is obviously where her talent is -- she wouldn't do as well with the types of songs that AI would make her cut for pop.

whoever gets second, realistically, almost has the better deal by not being locked into the AI contract.

I think they were both just very nervous last night. Both of them showed it. And the song choices didn't help.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, and how corny that they had to sing the same songs! ew.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed it -- my son had a concert. 300 5th graders playing violin/viola/cello. It was not to be missed, though the girl playing right in front of where I was sitting cracked me up all the way through. She obviously had not practiced much. The girl sitting next to her kept turning around and shooting her dirty looks, because she *was* very distracting. She played really loud during the quieter sections, but she seemed oblivious to the fact that what she was playing held a slim resemblance to what the rest of the orchestra was playing.

I did download the clips up on idolforever.com... It didn't look remarkable. I assume that they got to pick one song from earlier in the season to sing? And Carrie picked Independence Day?? I'd have chosen Alone or Crying. For me, those were her most memorable performances.

I would buy a Carrie album before I'd buy one of Bo's....so my vote went with her, though I couldn't get through to make it real. I tried.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Farmgirl, how much obligation is Number Two under, do you know?

I wonder if Bo would even be able to have his bandmates with him, as one or two.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

That's a good question, Liz. I think all the semi-finalists are under some sort of rights contract:

quote:
Contestants sign away a wide variety of rights in perpetuity, from their singing to use of their likeness. When the standard "Idol" contract was leaked and appeared on a Web site, one entertainment lawyer called it "the worst rendition of the industry."
from THIS link but I'm trying to find something more current.

FG

All I can find is older articleson the contract

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been rooting for Bo since the beggining. All the people I've talked to agree that Carrie has a better voice, but has the stage presence of a 2x4.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"In perpetuity" sounds pretty final.

And Little Doctor, I am not a Carrie fan, but she will get better with that as she gets more experience. Bo is a ringer who has been performing professonally for years.

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
True.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers. Don't read this West coast people.
Unfortunately Bo didn't win after all.

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Yeah, but I was thinking about what Elizabeth said, and shes right. Bo didnt need to win. If anything, he'll be better off because now hes not under so many contracts. He can do what he wants with his music.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Heck, maybe Lynyrd Skynyrd will hire him as their lead singer. he was hot.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they both win in this case, you know. At least two of the best were in the finlas this time.

I was amazed at how much better a lot of them sang in the latter weeks. The experience and training they recieved made a huge difference, I think.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, anyone who is reading this that voted for Carrie - you made my little girl cry.

At the end of the show 4 year old Abigail throws herself on the floor and sobs.

[Cry] [Cry] [Cry] "I *sob* wanted *sob* Bo *sob* to WIN" [Cry] [Cry] [Cry]

It took 10 minutes to calm her enough to send her to bed, and only my solemn promise that I would buy her a Bo CD the instant it came out stopped her crying.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Belle, explain all about the contractual pressure Carrie will be under for perpetuity.

Kwea, I agree, I felt that the two best singers were there at the end, whereas LaToya should have won last year and was knocked out oo soon.

Liz

Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I didnt like either perfomance. Not that im a critic. I tuned in for the finale because my parents watch it
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I missed last night's due to a church event - -but later heard that Carrie won. I am just disappointed that I didn't get to se Bo perform with Lynard Skynard.

I think they are both winners, and Bo will definately have a contract, so it doesn't really matter who got the AI title.

On Tuesday night, I think Simon Cowell turned the tables. At one point he said to Carrie "you are up against an older, much more experienced singer" etc. etc. That comment right there made Carrie the underdog with America, and we all know how much America loves rooting for the underdog. (of course, anyone who was a true follower and read the AI web pages knew how much older and more experience Bo was already).

Either way, they both win. I predict a Clay Aiken/Rueben Studdard event -- Bo's first CD will outsell Carrie's.

Farmgirl

Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am just disappointed that I didn't get to se Bo perform with Lynard Skynard.

I think they are both winners

Really? What did Lynard Skynard win?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Laugh]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"we all know how much America loves rooting for the underdog."

Yes, until they actually win, at which point we turn on them like a pack of hyenas.

I think Lynyrd Skynyrd also won something, Speed, some attention from a new generation.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, his parents were interviewed on local TV this morning and said that less than 10 minutes after the show, Bo signed with RCA.

They said he was happier than he could ever imagine being, he and his band will be getting to work, he will be released from contract earlier than Carrie, and he got to sing Sweet Home Alabama with Lynrd Skynrd, which was a dream come true.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched a single episode of this show from its inception -- never caught the bug, I guess. But on the news this morning I did see clips from it and the winner being announced and all that. Does anyone else think Bo looks like Frisco? (I did a quick search for pictures this morning and they didn't capture the similarities, but during his actual performance I thought there was a noticeable resemblance.)

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

No.

Frisco's MUCH better looking...

[Wink]
FG

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, of course -- I'm just saying there's a resemblance.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Actually, I guess the question we SHOULD have been asking all along is......

...is Carrie related to punwit?
(they share the same last name)

Darren -- it would be really good if you are related to her...after all, now she is going to be famous, and rich... [Wink]

FG

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered that very same thing. Think I should give her a call?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.