FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Random Thoughts That Aren't Important Enough to Make a New Topic About (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Random Thoughts That Aren't Important Enough to Make a New Topic About
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who calls the pizza place not knowing what they want?
Everybody. And it's incredibly aggravating.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to finish plotting my novel today. No more delays. No more procrastination. Enough is enough.

And then, I would like to write at least 20 pages today.

----------------

And then I remembered that I have an article due today. Must figure out what I'm writing on and then write the thing.

Hmm.

Nope, mind is blank.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And then, I would like to write at least 20 pages today.
My goal for today was 1.5 pages. I envy that you can even set a twenty page goal.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
How come the people getting arrested on Cops never acknowledge the camera? I've seen a lot of episodes of that show, and never once have I seen any of them look nervous, or angry, or embarrassed to be arrested on camera. I wish I could get arrested on that show. I'd spend the whole segment acting normal, like any other arrest, and then at the end, as they were taking me toward the police car, I'd look straight into the camera and say, "It's a fair cop."

---

You know how they say that stuff you're looking for is always in the last place you look? Not me. When I find what I'm looking for, I always keep looking, just in case it was a trick.

---

I found out today that my mother's name is misspelled on her birth certificate. Isn't that weird? How could the spelling her parents intended be her legal name when it's not what it says on her birth certificate? And if her parents knew about it, couldn't they have gotten it fixed? It seems to me that if you catch a mistake on your baby's birth certificate early enough, you should be able to have it nullified and get a new one drawn up.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve - my personal best for a day is 65 pages. 20 pages ought - in theory - to be a cakewalk. But I've been in a writing void since last October.

I have a goal of 100 pages this week with a book in a week writing group I belong to. I want to meet it. If I've plotted properly, it's completely doable. I'm one of those that requires plotting and structure. I don't write well without it.

But you also need to keep in mind circumstances - I don't know if you work/have children/whatever else goes on in your life to occupy your time. I don't have a job, and I don't have kidlets. I just take care of me and my husband. So, in theory, I have plenty of time to write.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I love surprising people. I really surprised my sister with a birthday party Saturday night, and the look on her face made me feel like a million bucks. Suddenly all the rushing around to get it ready and to coordinate things was totally worth it.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

iTunes finally has some Smashing Pumpkins stuff! Woohoo!

---

Only a week 'til I get paid again! Woohoo!

---

I finally started reading Shadow of the Giant! Woohoo!

---

I've managed to eat neither fast food nor microwave burritos for the past week, as we actually have real food in our refrigerator! Woohoo!

---

I got my head checked by a jumbo jet! It wasn't easy, but nothing is, no! Woohoo!

---

I think I'm going to play tennis again tomorrow, 'cause it's spring and if it's spring, you gotta play tennis! Woohoo!

---

I want to get an iPod with spending any money or spamming anybody with any links. I give everyone here the opportunity to buy me one. Remember, though, this is a limited time offer! Act now and buy me an iPod before someone else beats you to it! Woo-freakin'-hoo!

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Quidscribis, I'd just like to say: I loathe you. I loathe you real bad. For me, two pages a day is an excuse for a tequila party.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

- posted      Profile for LTC DuBois   Email LTC DuBois         Edit/Delete Post 
"Quidscribis, I'd just like to say: I loathe you. I loathe you real bad."

New game
Replace the word loathe in the above quote with any other word. [Evil]

Posts: 61 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds fun.

"Quidscribis, I'd just like to say: I braise you. I braise you real bad."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this thread.

I'm bored, I think I'm gonna make a webcomic.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

"Quidscribis, I'd just like to say: I yawp you. I yawp you real bad"

Yay words of the day!

[ April 05, 2005, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

NinjaBirdman, I want to see the comic when you're done with it. I'm bored too and not creative enough to make my own.
Joldo
Member # 6991

My loathing is henceforth extended to Goat, DuBois, and Verily, that sissy fanboy.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

My braising is henceforth extended to Goat, DuBois, and Verily, that sissy fanboy.

[ROFL]

I'm sorry, I'll stop. [Big Grin]

Joldo
Member # 6991

quote:
I'm sorry, I'll stop.
But the pain won't . . . [Cry]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

But. . . Joldo. . . [Cry] I said "In theory". Not in actuality. Not yet.

I'm stuck in plot-hell. I'm still plotting the damn thing. And I'm one of those that has to plot. I have to have structure before I start or it doesn't go anywhere. I have to know where it's going and why. So I'm not there yet.

Please don't hate me. [Cry]

Joldo
Member # 6991

The fact you're physically capable of typing that much in a day boggles my mind. I can just about manage ten words a minute.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ah. Then I feel sorry for you. [Big Grin] Take a typing class or something. They're really useful. And, if you're going to, learn to type Dvorak. It's supposed to be much faster (I've heard of 20 wpm increases) than Qwerty and puts less stress on the hands and wrists.

I keep meaning to make the switch to Dvorak myself, but I need to learn it first. Right now, I have about 80 wpm. The 20wpm increase would help substantially.

Joldo
Member # 6991

Gah, we had to take typing in elementary school. I loathed that class.

I've found what's helped me is AIM chat rooms. Try responding before a dozen chatbots advertising a hot webcam can get their message in. Very hard.

chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya I agree. My typing speed has increased too since I started MSNing everybody in the universe...actually maybe not...my fingers are faster but my brain is slower. You win some and you lose some I guess. [Dont Know]

[ April 05, 2005, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: chel ]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that actually going to a Hatrack event has made my addiction worse. Anyone else suffering from this phenomenom?

Even if I went to bed this minute and fell asleep immediately, I would have less than three hours of sleep before I have to wake up and get the kids off to school. Bad me.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm eating a yogurt that makes me think of baby food. This is a first for me.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
NinjaBirdman, I want to see the comic when you're done with it. I'm bored too and not creative enough to make my own.
Well, I finally finished my first comic. Only took me all night. [Smile]

My first comic.

I realize it's not funny. I wanted to just introduce the characters and set up for the next 2 or 3 strips. They will be funny. [Smile] I'll probably do them tomorrow, err today.

Goodnight! ... Errr, morning. [Smile]

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Puff is purring and laying on my lap. She almost never purrs! This is so cool.

---

I played Stratego yesterday for the first time ever. I've always wanted to know how to play that, and it was pretty fun. Does anybody know of a web-based counterpart to it?

---

I'm thinking about trying to fit in some tennis between when my friends finish their homework and I get ready for church tonight. I think I can do it, depending on how much homework they have.

---

I'd also like to know why the tennis court we play at isn't lighted, but the basketball court, park, and parking lot surrounding it all are.

---

It came to my attention today that I use "dinner" and "supper" interchangeably. Somebody told me that I can't do that. I have to use either/or. It's like the "pop"/"soda" thing...which I've also started to use interchangeably. It's like no longer am I part of a culture. [Frown]

I'm happy to say, though, that I will continue to give "caramel" only two syllables-worth of my time.

[ April 06, 2005, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I do that too, Da_Goat. You'll live outside of culture. It's actually kinda cool, if your coat is warm enough to take the cold stares and shoulders. [Razz]

I have an earache. Again. I'm also having trouble updating my comic. (sigh) Oh to have time again.

On the plus side, I'm seeing Sin City tonight.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually attempted to say nice things about people today. I think I may have succeeded.

If not it's their fault for being so stupid.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the nicest compliment the other day. I'm still marinating in it. My son's Spanish teacher, whom I had not met previously, was sure I was his sister, not his mother. She seemed genuinely surprised.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading the beginning of Jay's April Fool's thread, and I wanted to mention that I think Anna's written English skills are just superb. I find myself doubting my memory that she is actually French, and not a native English speaker. [Smile]

And Kama, of course, has impeccable writing.... I am just so impressed by all the folks here who manage to overcome the community's rather high standards for spelling and grammar, when English isn't even their first language. Kudos! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I do that too Da_Goat. We're just cooler than everyone else.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
YEAH, KAMA AND ANNA ARE 2 KOOL!!! [Cool]
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! Free furniture!

I've been doing without some essentials (desk, shelves, other stuff) for a fair while now, but one of the other office buildings at work is throwing out desks and shelves, so one of the carpentry guys offered to score one of each for me and bring them over to my pad after work today.

I haven't even seen them, and I bet they're pretty old and beat up, so they may not find a home in my living room... but I am in dire need of shelf and desk space to put books, magazines, and papers on, so I'll take whatever free stuff I can get. If it isn't swank (which it won't be) I'll just keep it in the non-swank region of the bedroom. And I have plenty of nice tablecloths, I can cover the desk if need be. Or even paint it! That might be neat.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Old metal desks are the best. I'm talking about the ones from the 50's with wood tops and sturdy design. A little funky paint and it'll look cool as hell.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

You know, this place was constructed in the 40s. It's possible this desk is that old. We'll see...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The clouds are moving in the wrong direction.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

My wife has an old style desk chair. I'll have to take a picture of it. It's really cool and incredibly solid. A chair of it's like would easily sell for $5-600 these days.
twinky
Member # 693

I just found out that on top of my regular pay and the reimbursement for moving and travel expenses next week, I also get $500 for "incidental" moving expenses. That means I get significantly more than twice as much money than I was expecting to get next week.

This could mean that a piano purchase is in the cards...

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Awe. Some.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

It's about time. I've been waiting to buy one since the day I moved in, and it just keeps getting delayed by unforseen expenses (computer death).
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother set a new personal record for pole vaulting. 13 feet, two inches!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

YAY!! (is that good?)
Ryuko
Member # 5125

I need to get out of this office before I have an asthma attack. What temporary insanity caused me to tell my co-worker it was OK to windex the entire office...

(Actually, it wasn't insanity, she asked if it would kill me for her to spray and I said not unless it was a lot)

And yesterday somebody put like manperfume on or something and it was HELL. On top of that, people with perfume on keep walking in the door. GAH!

blacwolve
Member # 2972

*bounces up and down*

I just got an A on my astronomy exam.

To put this in perspective, on the last exam I got a 68%. I was above average. 5 people in the class of about 200 got As.

And I got an A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[The Wave]

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey CT! (I always swore I'd never do a CT thread, and this thread gives me the perfect opportunity.)

My baby's fingernail is peeling up from the proximal side, so I am less worried about the old nail interfering with any new growth. I can go back to worrying whether there will actually be any new growth. So, basically, I don't need any advice. I just wanted to help gross everyone out.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay blacwolve!

Ryuko, it's not a bad height at all. He's now the 7th best high school boys pole vaulter in Oregon.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I just realized this and have nowhere else to say it:

My socks don't match today. This is odd, because I always pair my socks. I don't know what went wrong - it's not like they're similar colours or anything. One is blue, the other is tan with a black-brown-white argyle pattern. I'm so confused! [Dont Know]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

My sister and her 4 year old son are here on their way back to Canada.

Fahim plays extremely well with children. He and my nephew have a blast together.

When my nephew is here, I am NOT the least bit important. Only his favorite Uncle Fahim is. [Big Grin]

Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
This page is fun to look at while staring off into space.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

How come no one ever says "Red China" anymore? Has the term become derogatory? Or is it just considered obsolete now that the Republic of China is usually just called "Taiwan"?
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
The title of this thread is the story of my Hatrack existence.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.