FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Random Thoughts That Aren't Important Enough to Make a New Topic About (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Random Thoughts That Aren't Important Enough to Make a New Topic About
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
i ate too much today, but not as much as yesterday. Man! [Frown]
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So*. She, the new maid, speaks no English, and it seems she understands very little as well. Poor Fahim has to translate everything. [Frown] On the plus side, she's a decent cook - we liked her fish and veggie curries - and got more done than Girllie, the old maid, did. But then, Girllie got lazy and figured we were dependant on her. That seems to be what happens here.

------

On another note, new maid also ran a song and dance past Fahim in a plea to ask for more money.

See, her father's in the hospital awaiting surgery to replace the lenses in his eyes. Hmm, sounds like cataract surgery to me, which is outpatient, and a 15 minute procedure. I know because I have cataracts and have done my research. But this is Sri Lanka, so possibly she's telling the truth, or at least a somewhat version of it.

Anyway, she's poor, and all her sibs are paying for the operating and she feels bad because she has no money to pitch in and could we please give her more.

I roll my eyes at stuff like this. Seriously, I do. Mother died, father in the hospital, brother in jail, sister broke a leg, auntie needs an operation, grandmother died, grandfather is sick... Excuses and pity pleas abound here. And lots of people hit me up for money. I'm white, therefore I'm rich, don't'cha know?

Anyway. We're going to give her some more. Fahim feels sorry for her, and honestly, she's done a decent enough job today that I have no problem giving her a bonus. Who knows if we'll see her again, though. It's unpredictable.

Anyway. We've asked for her to come back on Saturday to finish cleaning the rest of the house. We'll see.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for pictures of different types of necklines. Yes, I know what boat, scoop, jewel, and round necklines look like. I want something decorative. Fun. Interesting!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Keyhole neckline?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*takes a deep breath*

I just got asked by this guy that I used to be trying to work out a distribution deal with if I would coordinate a national concert series for hurricane relief and I just looked at the business plan and budget and WOW this is on a really big scale and !!!!!!!!

This will get its own thread once things solidify more, I'm sure.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Tante, both good suggestions, but not what I'm in the mood for. Yeah, yeah, I know - picky. But I'm going to keep those on file for idea purposes. [Smile] Thanks.

pH, this sounds really interesting. Good luck and yes, please, do tell us more - in its own thread - when things get solidified. [Smile]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
This is my 3,500th post.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweetheart neckline? Bateau neckline? Queen Anne neckline? Turtleneck?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Mandarin collar?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Peek-a-boo neckline?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I don't know what this one is called, but, in any event, you'd probably be well advised to avoid it.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Turtleneck?

[ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ouch!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I've been sewing for decades. As in, more than three. And the last few days, I've learned that there's a whole lot about sewing that I don't know about. Like directional sewing.

I need to do me some more reading it seems.

Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
I once jumped off a bridge into a night fishers boat, gave him a hug, and then swam to shore. It amused me.
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Peek-a-boo neckline?

Ooh, very Audrey Hepburn. Now if I only had the Audrey Hepburn face and figure to go with it!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Son of a.... I just moved into a new apartment in a new city that *doesn't* have any washer-and-dryer hookups (the apartment doesn't, that is). The move happened quickly (work-related). So when I was asking questions about this place, the landlady told me there was a coin-operated laundry within a block or two I could walk to.

Well, I've been here for a week, just completed something like a 70-work week, and my clothes are badly in need of washing.

Come to find out there isn't a laundromat within a mile of here.

I'm SOOOOoooOoOO pissed off.

Damn it. Who do I complain to? What the crap.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Subtitled:

I left my washer and dryer in Utah for THIS?

Aaarg.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not looking at WebMD or any of these medical sites until after I go to the doctor on the 30th.
This is driving me nuts.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
i went to one of those sites once and they told me to go to the emergency room and i ended up waisting a whole lot of money one something that turned out to be nothing.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I'm worried about.. And when I worry, I get dizzy and when I get dizzy I get worried and my fingers feel weird and I get sleepy so I really need to NOT look at any of those sites.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

woah, you should go to the emergency room.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

AUGH!
Don't say that! I went there several weeks ago.
I haven't even opened that bill.
I don't want to end up there again!

sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
But on the other hand, my mom went to one of those sites, and it told her to go directly to the hospital. When she got there they discovered that her lungs were full of blood clots, as well as her legs, which was pretty serious. So sometimes you can get the advice you need.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided that Gretchen Wilson is unbearably annoying. Her Politically Uncorrect is not only grammatically incorrect, but it goes on to list a whole bunch of things that she's for that are not remotely politically incorrect.

If she'd sung about:

- lobbying to overturn Roe v. Wade
- logging
- the benefits of drilling in ANWR
- capitalism over environmentalism
- Serenity for Best Picture Oscar
- why homosexuality is just wrong
- how women should stay home with their children instead of working
- Pat Robertson's finer qualities

etc. she might have had a point. Instead, it's just an call to feel oppressed when you're in the majority. :eyeroll:

addited: this list is by no means complete or necessarily anything *I* think someone should be for or against. Just sayin'.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

i think i've heard her...
What else doe sshe sing?

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Redneck Woman gets a lot of play time. As does All Jacked Up and Homewrecker. None of which are particularly enlightening songs, but they do have catchy beats. I dislike Homewrecker almost as much as Politically Uncorrect, as I figure that a man who goes off an cheats on his wife has at least had something to do with the cheating. If there's anyone to be mad at, he's the one to dump on. It sorta buys into the idea that men are slaves to their pants.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Nope
haven't heard it...
Haven't heard it on launch cast.
Dang, do my hands feel weird......
Maybe i am making myself ANXIOUS.

I need pizza.
Yeah
Pizza
that doesn't have too much sugar in it.

I've never had groceries deliveried before...

Julia
Member # 9244

- posted      Profile for Julia   Email Julia         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are my fingers so long? It's getting kind of weird.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm totally about to go give a presentation for Music Management and Concert Promotion.

It's a presentation about my mentor from high school.

I get to tell everybody how awesome and cool he is. [Big Grin]

He's the bestest.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I hate Jazz Band.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I wish I could get shoes in my size here. Well, other than men's shoes. [Frown]
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
My hands smell like garlic (from chopping some last night) and it's making me hungry. Hmmm, where's a garlicky snack when you need one?
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

My lunch this week has been an hour and twenty minutes long.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Online shopping makes me feel so...
Modern...
So with it...
So hip and in...

Now if I could just stop feeling lagurchedy.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Fahim is nagging me to make him breakfast. [Frown]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Hand him a box of cereal. Or some other easy breakfast that doens't involve cooking. Or you actually doing anything.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

"Fahim, I just can't possibly make you breakfast. I am too busy sitting in front of the computer writing about random thoughts that aren't important enough to make a new topic about."
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

He needs carnation instant breakfast or something...

I love shopping for groceries online!
No having to take the cab.

but I still have to go to the store anyway for toothpaste and stuff they DIDN'T have... [Grumble]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

He gets cereal. There is no cooking involved. All I have to do is boil water for tea and for milk for his cereal, then add sugar and stir. It's really not that hard.

And I honestly don't mind doing it. I just sometimes get a little whiny. [Frown]

vonk
Member # 9027

"they call 'em fingers, but i never seen 'em fing. wait there they go."
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no need to explain yourself, quid. [Smile] We know you're wonderful.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

does anyone know who said this first?: "i don't trust anything that bleeds for seven days and doesn't die."
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
does anyone know who said this first?: "i don't trust anything that bleeds for seven days and doesn't die."

That's the beauty of it!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
There's no need to explain yourself, quid. [Smile] We know you're wonderful.

[Kiss] katharina, you're the sweetest!

I'm in Insomnia Mode, Day 4.

The only good thing about Insomnia Mode is that I'm getting some sewing done. Or something. I just basted on the front and back facings to my new bright bright bright pink kameez, and had to stop there since I don't have the right color of thread to do actual sewing.

And then I ironed the pink shalwaar material.

Oh, cuz I learned that the shalwaar in shalwaar kameez refers to pants and the kameez refers to the top. Whereas my brain thinks it should be the other way around. [Wall Bash]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:

It was Mr. Garrison from South Park .
quidscribis
Member # 5124

And I'm awake! This early even, which amazes me.

Today, we're off to do more shopping. Fahim's brother's wedding is coming up and we have to get shoes, a kurta for Fahim, jewellery for me, and stuff like that.

But breakfast first. Always breakfast...

quidscribis
Member # 5124

We shopped. And we spent a helluva lot of money.

Fahim needed a kurta for the groom's dinner two days after the wedding to keep up with his Indian clothing theme (sharwani for the wedding itself), so we had to get that and a pair of shoes to match.

Then it was off to do my shopping.

We unbelievably found shoes in my size. Unbelievable. I wear size 10, although I could possibly get away with a 9W, but every store I've been to here - before the last one today - carries either a 7, 8, or 9 (never wide enough for me) as a maximum size. So, out of luck. But today... I bought three pairs of shoes. Yay! So their selection wasn't fantastic for what I wanted, but still, at least they have them in my size.

And then.

The jewellery. And that's a heap of a long story. The short version is that we got me some jewellery today. Or, rather, we'll pick it up next week when the pendant is made to match the earrings and ring. Yellow (not amber) topas (small circles) with blue topaz (aqua colored). [Big Grin] I'm happy.

Not that I required it. I don't. But Fahim insisted, so who am I to argue?

So we'll pick it up next week, and then I'll have nice jewellery to wear with my silk shalwaar kameez to Fahim's brother's wedding. Cool beans. [Big Grin]

And now we're both tired from the day out. I think we're going to watch an Abishek Bachchan movie now. [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

And Fahim's off to a funeral. The father of a cousin's husband of Fahim's died. He's expected - culturally - to go. I'm not, apparently since I've never met the man. I didn't want to go - 3 hours of travel each way in the heat and dust? I don't do well when it's much less than that...
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
quote:

It was Mr. Garrison from South Park .
Not originally. I first heard the line back in the early eighties.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.