FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are YOU having for dinner tonight? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What are YOU having for dinner tonight?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We're having fried rice and a beef and veggie stir fry tonight, along with tangerines and fortune cookies. I made 12 large servings of the rice and stir fry so I could take 8 or 9 of them to a family from church, friends of mine. The sister just had surgery and is on crutches, and her husband doesn't get home until 7. So I asked if she'd prefer Mexican, Chinese, or Italian, and she said Chinese (I don't blame her, she's probably had a lot of Mexican and Italian brought to her already.) I also peeled and sectioned some navel oranges for them and sent fortune cookies and disposable chop sticks to them, too. She was very thrilled. [Smile] And the apartment smells gooood.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
2 cloves of garlic give garlic breath? [Eek!] Makes me wonder what happens over here when I use two heads of garlic.

[Big Grin] Good thing Fahim eats whatever I make, eh?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, actually, the meal had three total cloves. And yes, one burp nearly knocked my dog out!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you serious? I was cooking for children, so I used very, very little garlic, and between two dishes still used a head and a half. And about 6 inches of fresh ginger (also going light on that.) Divide that by 3 to get more normal proportions and you're still looking at 1/2 a head for 4 servings. Like I said, a tiny amount. I couldn't even taste it...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I hear you, kq. I guess you and I just aren't sensitive to the taste.

When I buy it at the grocery store, I usually get half a dozen heads at a time. Any less would just be stupid for the way I cook with it.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I need ideas for what to make for dinner tonight, so what are YOU having for dinner that may inspire me? Something garlicky sounds good. (^)
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We've got a leftover, half-eaten chicken carcass. So I'm going to be making chicken soup with the remainders.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
for lunch I browned butter and garlic, then put it on angel hair pasta with parmesean, I used 4 cloves for a small serving for myself, but it was so caramelized that it tasted like garlic candy (if it existed), yummy yummy.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, KQ we just did that ourselves. I've never really bought whole chickens before, but I'm convinced this is the way to go for soup!

I made quiche last night with red peppers, broccoli, onions, garlic and ham. It was awesome. I especially loved the red peppers.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I did another "Amira's living alone and can't be bothered to cook" meal tonight. I microwaved a sweet potato (couldn't even be bothered to bake it properly, but it turns out fine in the microwave), then ate it with butter and a little salt. Carrots, tomatoes and brie on the side, and voila... It actually tasted great, so I'm not complaining.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to try a PF Chang's Lettuce Wrap recipe from recipezaar, my family loves them and I already have some chicken in the fridge that needs to be used. Perfect.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
We had chicken rolls. Cream cheese and butter mixed together. Put it on a biscuits or crescents roll and bake 350 for 15-20 minutes. Very good.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I also sliced some strawberries and sugared them before the soup was ready, and had them over ice cream for dessert. Mmmmm. [Smile]
demosthenes83191
Member # 9071

- posted      Profile for demosthenes83191   Email demosthenes83191         Edit/Delete Post 
PIZZA!!
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Popcorn and milk, in front of the computer. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
And, oh, by the way, have you ever tried dusting your popcorn with HOT paprika? Definitely the way to go.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hmm, I wonder how paprika would go with the caramel sauce I put over the popcorn? [Big Grin]
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was baked chicken and vegetables, simple and yum.

Tonight if I'm lucky, my beloved will make halušky - gnocchi-like things with brynza (sheep's) cheese and bacon. *pokes encouragingly Tzadik's direction*

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

That sounds good.

We're not having anything much exciting tonight. We had 7+ take away for lunch (rice & curry packet), and there's pepper in a cumin white sauce for leftovers, and other than that, I'll probably deep-fry fish rolls and cook up some naan.

I'm hot and tired. We walked to the grocery store today - problems with unreliable trishaw drivers lately - and it was still hot. I'm not doing well heat wise at the moment. And that would be why the lazy meal. [Smile]

Tomorrow? Yeah, no idea. Chicken and something. Okra? Oh! Gotakola sambol for sure - heck, we'll have some of that tonight as well. I forgot about that.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
it's my birthday, so we're going out tonight.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Happy Birthday breyerchic! I hope you go someplace yummy!
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

thanks, I do too.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmmmmm. Our apartment smells delicious again. Corned beef, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage are in the crockpot (my special preparation involves trimming the fat, placing the meat, rubbed with spices, and root veggies in the crockpot, pouring over a mixture of 1 cup apple juice, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, and water to make the total 3 cups, then adding the cabbage the last 45 minutes or so-- about 6 1/2 hours total on high), and the oven is emanating smells of the rice pudding I'm making to use up some of the whole milk an older sister in the ward who lives around the corner gave us after her family came to visit and left her with almost 2 gallons.

Mmmmm. Ooooh! Time to go get the meat and veggies out, and after that's done, I'll take the pudding out to cool while we eat, and then it's DINNER TIME!

I especially love that I did all the work back when I had energy, and now have nothing to do but put it on the table. [Big Grin]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds delighhtful, KQ!

We are having pork chops (the thick kind), fresh snapped and steamed green beans, green salad, and a rosemary/olive oil bread . . . followed up by apple pie.

*hungry*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

We're having leftovers today. Tomorrow, too, probably...

Two days ago, I made Thai chicken and stir-fried rice noodles. Then yesterday, mother in law came over with a cleaning guy, and I had to feed them, but there's no way that the leftovers I had would either a. be enough and b. they'd like 'em. So I cooked up Sri Lankan/Indian rice & curries yesterday for the lot.

And found out, almost after the fact, that mil was taking some to feed father in law at the office as well.

Oh.

So. Coconut curry fish. Green & red bell peppers & capsicum curried, and ala badun (Indian potatoes - mustard seeds, cinnamon, and turmeric with caramelized onions and boiled potatoes - not at all spicy and very, very nice) with red rice.

So now, on a day that I feel crappy, I won't be cooking. Yay!

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been inspired to make my own corned beef after reading your descriptions of good corned beef, kq, and realising the stuff my supermarket sells is definitely *not* good corned beef.

Well technically I have been inspired to find a recipe and buy the beef (which is now sitting in my freezer) – but I will get around to it! Maybe this weekend…. [Smile]

Dinner tonight – don’t know.

But dinner last night was a whole baby red emperor steamed Chinese style (a Neil Perry recipe) with ginger, pak choy, spring onions, Chinese rice wine and soy. Yum!

And dinner the night before was another Neil Perry recipe – red braised pork hock, which meant braising the hock with ginger, garlic, star anise, cinnamon, dark and light soy, chinese rice wine and sugar for 3 hours, cooling over night, frying the whole hock until crispy the next night, reducing the stock from the previous day’s cooking to a sauce, re-simmering the hock for half and hour and then serving with fresh egg noodles (not home-made). And it was delicious , if decadently rich. Pork hock is very cheap, so it made for an economical, if time-intensive meal ($3 for enough hock to stuff us so full we felt almost sick).

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
ala badun (Indian potatoes - mustard seeds, cinnamon, and turmeric with caramelized onions and boiled potatoes - not at all spicy and very, very nice)
Um, yum? Mind posting a specific recipe, either on Dag's site or yours?

Everyone else's food sounds good, too! I would be drooling-- if I hadn't just stuffed myself full of corned beef and veggies and wasn't working on a huge bowl of rice pudding with raisins! (I'm thinking of posting that recipe, speaking of posting recipes.)

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Swedish meatballs, noodles, and peas. Banana-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-oatmeal cookie for dessert.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
A bowl of cereal and a salad.

Hooray for being a poor grad student!

(All these other foodstuffs sound amazing, though. Oh, and as for garlic: I put two cloves on a small bowl worth and can barely taste it, yet my parents put barely a half-clove in a large mixing bowl and it knocks them out. [Dont Know] )

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
quote:
ala badun (Indian potatoes - mustard seeds, cinnamon, and turmeric with caramelized onions and boiled potatoes - not at all spicy and very, very nice)
Um, yum? Mind posting a specific recipe, either on Dag's site or yours?

I was mistaken - it's not Indian, but Sri Lankan. And yeah, here it is. [Big Grin]

As a further comment, my niece, who's a spice wuss, loves these potatoes to the point that when she's here, she will voluntarily go into the kitchen and cook up a huge batch of 'em.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, we are soooo having those sometime soon. Suggestions for other foods to complete the meal welcome. [Big Grin]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

*laughs*

Okay, let me think. But today might not be a great day for Yu to request the use of brain cell activity - I think I got about an hour of sleep last night.

I'll think about it anyway...

imogen
Member # 5485

Yum - those potatoes look *great*!

(I think we'll be having them too. [Smile] )

On a side note - I made naan successfully last week for the first time ever .

So I set off the smoke alarm... They were great!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that there are so many great cooks on Hatrack! I love talking about food and all my irl friends think I am nuts. I just like to knock around in the kitchen a bit; it's not like I am Martha Stewart.

We had honey mustard pecan crusted chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans. We are trying to eat a little heathier lately.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to further the notion that students eat terribly, but I just ate at the local student pub. Classes are resuming, not unpacked from vacation, haven't grocery-shopped...so greasy fare it is.

Tomorrow, hopefully I can make me some yummy pasta and maybe start with a salad of some sort. I shall be inspired by all the delicious-sounding recipes above and will NOT settle for Morning Star fake-chicken patties (much tastier than they sound, I swear!).

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
honey mustard pecan crusted chicken
Yum!

Chicken breasts or thighs? Roasted, I presume?

(I am having a bit of a love affair with "American" food and recipes - and Hatrack is great for this. [Smile] )

MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
They were breast tenders and I baked them.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm lucky: maguro, hamachi, and other nigiri.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Likely sageburgers, lemon pan-fried potatoes, and some sugar peas.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
Barbecueing some steaks [Smile]

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
that's not how you spell barbeque! darn northerners.

i think i'll be having left over chicken fajitas.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
he he,

Not exactly a northerner(dont believe Wyoming fits), just lack the ability to spell correctly without a spell check.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Probably Risotto with mushrooms and garlic.
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
sergeant - i don't think spell check would have caught that as, technically, 'barbecue' is an acceptable spelling. but not to me! oh no! it is spelled BARBEQUE, or failing that, BBQ or Bar-B-Q.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

I regret opening this thread as we are having Bagel Bites (yep hubby's away on business). I think that now I might sneak out for some take-out.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Baked polenta and saucy beans.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Corned beef and cabbage.
With potatoes.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Sageburgers sound intriguing...
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife's been working late, so I've been subsisting on leftovers. (I do most of the cooking, but it's hard to get elaborate at dinner when it's just for me.)

Made some very nice nachos for lunch, though. Rosarita's black refried beans are turning into a staple around here.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Steak, onions, and potatoes. Yum.

Of course, I forgot I'd gotten a new broiler pan until after I'd finished cooking them in the pie tin. Oh well. . . .

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.