FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are YOU having for dinner tonight? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What are YOU having for dinner tonight?
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll go for a turkey sammich or something from the mall. I just had a very large late brunch that consisted of tater tots, rice, spam, eggs, cinnamon rolls and coffee. (We were ambitious, confused and hungry... O_o)
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, now breakfast for dinner (which I normally hate) is sounding very, very good.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Cole slaw with dill
Fresh tomato slices with cured chorizo sausage
Homemade mac-n-cheese with mozzerella and aged cheddar
Fruit salad
Granville Island maple cream ale

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*mouth waters*

We are still undecided on dinner...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Crescent dogs.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Speghetti and Miso soup.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
peppermint ice cream
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Moose:
Crescent dogs.

What are those?

ETA: As soon as I hit "submit," I thought, "well, duh, probably hot dogs baked in a crescent roll."

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So. We actually found sun-dried tomatoes here, and a big jar at that. Surprise surprise! So of course we bought it. [Smile]

Now I have to figure out what to do with it. [Smile]

Any suggestions?

(If suggestions involve things like bruschetta, I suspect I'm going to have to quickly learn to make French bread from scratch. What serves as French bread here is actually not - it's sweet, dense, and has added fat. The good news is that I'm actually capable and willing to learn to make the stuff. [Smile] )

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot dogs stuffed with cheese baked in a crescent roll.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Creamed Weenies, anyone?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I had mutter paneer and basmati rice for dinner, and it was delicious. It was from a can, but it was still tasty (I made the rice myself).

I have a recipe for a ridiculously good chicken dish that uses sundried tomatoes, quid. If you can get access to proscuitto and cream cheese as well, I will try to locate it.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Proscuitto is a form of pig, right? If so, that's out, this being a Halal household and all. [Smile] Cream cheese is easily locatable. [Smile]
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'll give it to you anyway, and maybe you can substitute some other form of sliced meat. I always forget that proscuitto is pork. Ignore the oddity of the writing. [Monkeys]

Here ya go!

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, I'm always willing to give things a try and don't mind substitutions. [Smile] Which is a good thing here...

Thanks! [Smile]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
So as a lure to the opposite sex (and if you already have someone of the opposite sex, as a lure to sex in general), I and my guest chef present you with a romantic dinner for two.
*laughs* So, you're basically saying that if I make this for Fahim, I'm gonna get lucky?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

It was a Valentine's article, written for a bunch of lonely male mathies. And the occasional already lucky mathie. So you can adapt that as well to your personal circumstances as you wish.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

You probably don't have tortellini there either, but in case you do: Tortellini salad with grilled veggies (zucchini, onions), black olives, sliced sundried tomatoes (if packed in oil use the oil for dressing), lots of minced garlic, chopped cilantro, and oil and vinegar & salt. Yummy!

Oh, I forgot: and parmesan and Asiago cheese.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh, no, EL, that article is delightful. *giggles*

Uprooted, thanks. We can't get tortellini here, but I wonder if I can make it? I'll find out. But we can't get parmesan or Asiago cheese. [Frown] Parmesan I've seen once in the last 3 1/2 years, so yeah, not something I count on. [Frown] I could substitute other cheeses - we can get mozzarella, cheddar, and a couple of others I don't recall at the moment. But then, since Fahim hates zucchini, I'd have to make modifications there anyway... *laughs* My entire life is about modifying everything. It's an excellent base recipe by the sounds of things, Uprooted. Just that, by the time it's actually made, it won't entirely resemble the original. [Big Grin]

Also, the jar is rather large, so more recipes are welcome, too. [Smile]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a stir fry with brown rice, brocolli, omlette made with a little chinese rice wine and maybe a bit of bacon. And shitake mushrooms. And other stuff.

We're trying to eat out of the pantry and freezer so they are pretty much empty by moving day (3 1/2 weeks!) so it will depend a bit on what I can dig up.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I do that when we move, too.

Are you moving far?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I forgot to mention the deep fried coconut balls. [Smile] I don't know what's in them - I need to get the recipe, oh how I need to get the recipe - except for coconut (freshly shredded, of course) & sugar, and they're dipped in some kind of flour and then deep fried. Man oh man they're good. Although I'm told that these ones aren't even as good as Fahim's mom or grandma makes them, but still. Yum!
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
It's an excellent base recipe by the sounds of things, Uprooted. Just that, by the time it's actually made, it won't entirely resemble the original. [Big Grin]

"Base recipe" is sort of how I look at recipes anyway -- a starting point for my own flights of fancy!

How 'bout a simple pasta, grilled chicken and sundried tomato dish? Or if you can't get any kind of pasta, then rice.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

No, pasta here isn't a problem. It's not great pasta, but meh, it'll do the trick. [Smile]

And yes, that's pretty much how I look at most recipes, too. [Big Grin] It also explains why things never turn out the same way twice... [Razz]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Linguine in a lemon-rosemary cream sauce with grilled shrimp.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
I do that when we move, too.

Are you moving far?

Across the country! We're going to Canberra, which is about 3000km away from Perth.

I've got a scholarship to start a PhD at ANU. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Congrats on the scholarship and the PhD! And good luck!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

So hey, any more sun dried tomato recipes? Anyone? Anyone?
imogen
Member # 5485

You can make a nice, simple tomato sauce for pasta by gently cooking some onion and garlic in olive oil, then adding the sundried tomatoes (and chilli if you want [Wink] ) and cooking a bit further.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

(Coconut oil, but I see your point. [Wink] )(Optional chilli? Are you crazy?) Sounds good. [Smile] Mmm, and chicken cooked in it, too.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We are having deliciousness tonight. It's a comfort food night (it's very chilly here!) We're having a simple chicken-rice casserole (steamed rice until almost done, stirred in dried onion, seasoned salt, rosemary, thyme, transferred to a casserole dish, put boneless skinless chicken tenders on top, topped with a can of cream of mushroom soup, covered, baked) and spinach with bacon (fried 1.5 lbs. of bacon ends and pieces, added 1 small onion, chopped, and 8 cloves garlic, minced, cooked until fat was almost all rendered off the bacon and the onions were caramelized, added fresh sweet baby spinach leaves and stirred until they fit, added more, repeated, covered and turned off heat so they just got wilted.) The bacon ends were cheap and the spinach was 5 lbs. for $3.50-- I gave about a lb. and a half to my mom, though. My aunt gave us the chicken 'cause she wasn't using it and needed room in her freezer. Total cost, even with the little extravagances of fresh spinach and bacon, is less than $1.05 per plate, and we have leftovers. [Big Grin] For dessert I threw together a banana parfait from what we had around-- graham crackers on the bottom, then sliced bananas, then prepared vanilla instant pudding, then more graham crackers, more banana, more pudding, topped with crushed graham crackers and refrigerated, rather like a Nilla Wafer "banana pudding", but with graham crackers, which we always have (Bridget INHALES them. Well, not literally. Not usually.)

It makes me happy to eat good food. [Smile]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I made cream puffs yesterday.

And stuffed with chocolate icing. I would have preferred whip cream, but Fahim wanted chocolate icing.

And they were good. [Big Grin]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Yum, ketchupqueen!

Cream puffs are a real knack, quidscribis. I'm impressed.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Don't be, CT. I found a really good set of instructions. [Big Grin] Although, you know, forget that. If you want to be impressed, I'll let you. [Big Grin]

The first recipe I found and tried didn't work. It was from one of those recipes sites - allrecipes.com maybe? Among the comments were people who said "it's so easy and so fantastic!" to others saying "uh, that was cwap." One lady insulted everyone who had problems by saying something like "do you even know how to cook?" It was quite amusing. [Big Grin]

But then I found another site with much, much, much better instructions - exact same ingredient list and proportions - and they worked perfectly the first time. [Smile]

But then day before yesterday, it didn't work. After much cursing and swearing at the oven that wouldn't heat up properly, Fahim discovered that the gas line kinks rather badly where it goes into the stove. We're going to have to figure something out because it's so inconvenient having only 20% gas pressure. [Mad]

Anyway. I also discovered that the cream puff pastry (or goo, really) doesn't suffer at all upon refrigeration. So I baked the rest yesterday with an unkinked hose and they worked fine again. [Big Grin]

Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
You people make me hungry for real food.

Tonight, I'm having PAD pizza- the campus pizza service that takes meal swipes. It'll take an hour and a half to get it delivered here. and it's junk, but it's all I can get at this hour, except a burrito, and I've been living off those.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I had chilli with cornbread and a garden salad.
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Mmm, chilli with cornbread. Mmmm....
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
creamsoda float with cookie dough icecream.

yup.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmmm, we still have black bean and turkey chili (made with fresh green chilis) in the freezer that I cooked a few weeks ago. Maybe tomorrow we'll have that with cornbread and the leftover spinach with bacon...
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Handmade pork dumplings and vegetarian dumplings. Sadly, not made by my hands. But happily, very very tasty.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So hey, any more sun dried tomato recipes? Anyone? Anyone?

Well, I made a really nice spaghetti sauce a while back with chicken sausage, onions, garlic, and a combination of sundried tomatoes in olive oil (gives the oil to cook the onions and garlic in a nice tang) and fire-roasted tomatoes.

I've been thinking of doing a dip with cream cheese, sundried tomatoes, and artichoke hearts. (and maybe some parmesan... Some roasted garlic... Hmm.)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

We're having curried chicken, curried bonchi (beans in coconut milk), curd sambol, and rice the usual. [Smile]
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely it'll be pancakes with bacon, cheese, salami and any other suitable topping I might encounter while rummaging through the cupboards.

If you really want to test your stomach then use chocolate sprinkles on your pancakes.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Fire roasted tomatoes. Hmm. Sounds too exotic for here... Unless I roast my own...

Roasted garlic in the sauce. Yum! Great idea, Sterling. [Smile]

Have I ever mentioned our tomato prospects here? Romas sell for $0.12 a pound. Other tomatoes (I don't know what variety, but there's only one other one here) sell for $1.50 a pound. Guess which ones we always buy? [Big Grin]

brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Green Beans and...
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
If you really want to test your stomach then use chocolate sprinkles on your pancakes.
Pffft. What's wrong with that? Husband mine adores anything chocolate on his pancakes (syrup, chips, sprinkles, whatever.) And peanut butter, ick.

I like syrup on my pancakes and ketchup on my sausage, or sometimes, to mix it up, the reverse.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight? Probably soup. I am on a Progresso soup kick - I buy them a dozen at a time and eat them all winter. Very yummy.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Katie, I used to do the same, before I had people to feed. *sigh* Not that I don't like feeding them. It just makes it hard to eat things like Progresso that I love but that are inconvenient to feed the whole family.

My favorites are their lentil, their chicken and wild rice, and their chicken and barley. Eat the lentil with pita-- even dry pita-- and it tastes all buttery, mmmmmm.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

I had this sort of modified chicken cacciatore--it was made w/ cut up chicken breast rather than chicken parts, but it was still really yummy and made the house smell amazing. Red and green peppers, onions, lots of garlic and olive oil, and some tomato paste and pureed tomatoes. Served over rice. Yummy.
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
McDonalds the softball game has gone late and the kids need to get to bed. Bummer, I really wanted my wifes oriental noodle chicken thing.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.