FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are YOU having for dinner tonight? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What are YOU having for dinner tonight?
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to be very local and make a (lite) Spam and pineapple stir fry with rice... maybe with zucchini, bean sprouts, mushrooms and water chestnuts. Onolicious.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
We just finished haveing Breakfast for dinner. sasuage fried eggs and patatoes. it was very good.

[Blushing] [Hat]

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rosarita's black refried beans are turning into a staple around here.
Have you tried their Green Chili and Lime? Yummy!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
tonight i am having Saint Arnolds Spring Bock for dinner. mmmm yummy.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I might actually make the rice tonight, last night I ended up with french fries and a ceasar salad.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
A chicken sandwich [Frown] . I'm in the mood for something BIG and SALTY. Not puny and ... chickeny.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
We had pizza.

Naan for the crust. Tomato pasta sauce for the tomato sauce, with chunks of tomato and onion in it. Sauteed mushrooms and onions. Red and green peppers. Thai chicken. And romano cheese. Oh, and red chilli flakes on Fahim's (I'm cut off of spicy due to heat problems. [Frown] )

[Big Grin] It was good. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday the 99-cent store had great big flats full of mushrooms. I got one, and gave my mom a bit more than half of 'em. And I saved a bunch for Shabbos night soup.

The rest cooked all afternoon on a very low flame with barley and some wheat kernels, lots of spices, and a mixture of milk, water and soymilk (I ran out of real milk).

It's really good.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Salad and eggplant parmesian

And wow quid, that pizza sounds amazing My bf won't go with me for Indian food, even the mention of naan makes my mouth water...

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm celebrating the fact that I actually have it together enough to cook tonight, for the first time since Bridget was born. I'm going to make chicken in a paper bag (literally-- you rub a little oil and seasonings of choice on the outside, stick a lemon, cut in half-- or in this case, lime, because I don't have lemons today-- in the inside, put it in a brown paper bag, fold over the end, staple it shut, set it on a baking sheet with sides to catch any drips, and bake 1 1/2 hours in a 425 degree oven.) I'm trying to decide between my signature rosemary-onion rice and boiled potatoes to go with it. We still have green salad that someone brought us last week, so we'll finish that up for a green veggie, and we've got apples from the farmers' market my dad brought us. We have artichokes, too, but I'm not up to cleaning them tonight. Maybe I'll make them tomorrow to go with the leftovers.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Salmon, some with teriaki on it, miso soup, some rice pilaf...
If my stupid put hadn't broke I could have healthy spinach.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What broke? How does this affect your spinach consumption? [Confused]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
pot
glass one
why are they breakable?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh.

Why not just wilt it with a little garlic and tiny bit of oil in a frying pan? Yummier that way, anyway. And healthier!

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

It's frozen, but i'm totally going to try that when I buy some fresh spinach. Cool.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You can cook frozen in a frying pan with oil and garlic, too. Just defrost it first (running water works), cook the garlic, then add the spinach until heated through. Maybe add a splash of lemon juice to cut the bitterness frozen spinach can sometimes get.
littlelf
Member # 6145

- posted      Profile for littlelf   Email littlelf         Edit/Delete Post 
"How much for a rib?"
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Rosarita's black refried beans are turning into a staple around here.
Have you tried their Green Chili and Lime? Yummy!
Sounds good. Is that a pinto bean variation? Part of the reason I like the black bean variety is it's quite low fat.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Cheese plate and raw veggies, some toasted baguette slices, a glass of red wine.

Congratulations on cooking, ketchupqueen! I've made note of the recipe.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Fajitas. I let the chicken marinate overnight, so it should be good. I'll also smash up an avacado have have guacamole, and chop up a tomato and onion and cilantro for pico de gallo.

Last time I had this I almost died from joy. It's very good, cheap, and quick.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love the recipe for your fajitas.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So*. I'm having some girlfriends over tomorrow, sisters whom I've known since Brownies. I'm serving them a make-ahead salad supper since it's hot, less so at night so that's when I'm doing the only actual cooking that is going into this. I'm aiming for cool salads and spicy flavors to keep us from overheating.

We're having curried chicken salad (shredded poached chicken, toasted walnuts, halved grapes, minced celery, diced green apple, mayo, fresh-ground pepper, curry powder, turmeric), fresh fruit salad (just what it says, fresh fruit in season, sliced and mixed; the only thing I'm actually making tomorrow), and three-bean salad (recipe available in the Jatraquero cookbook.) On the side will be french bread, since I got too tired and lazy and hot to make potato salad and there was a loaf in the freezer; dessert will be a nice spicy gingerbread (almost done now) with vanilla ice cream.

Mmmmm. [Big Grin]

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had Butternut Garbanzo Curry (just added to Dag's recipe site). I'd forgotten how YUMMY that dish is. Really, really good. The only part that's a little bit of a pain is cutting and peeling the butternut squash, but it's so worth it. Mmmmmm. It just tastes happy to me!! [Smile]

[ August 15, 2006, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Uprooted ]

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Grilled BBQ shrimp, with grilled onions, in a wrap with garlic risotto and corn on the cob done the right way.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

OK, I'll bite -- what's the right way?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Hamburgers ( thick patties of all natural beef, on the grill with fresh rosemary) and oven fries.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Pesto and sundried tomato stuffed burgers with sliced fresh peaches.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Pesto and sundried tomato stuffed burgers with sliced fresh peaches.

<drool>

I made beef stroganoff tonight, with egg noodles from Trader Joes and crimini mushrooms.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Um - macaroni and cheese... Exotic, I know.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
I just had Butternut Garbanzo Curry (just added to Dag's recipe site).

The link doesn't work -- it tries to add the recipe.

(And Dags, your site can't spell "recipe." Unless this is like cooky . . . [Wink] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thanks, rivka -- link fixed!!
rivka
Member # 4859

Oooh. Looks yummy! If you want, you can give that several tags -- vegan, kosher, halal.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

OK -- but which of the kosher tags?

Halal-adaptable
Kosher-adaptable
Kosher for Passover

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

The right way is cut the ends off, remove the outer most brown nasty husk, peel back a little and pull out the silks, put husks back on, soak in water about 20 minutes, then place on grill. Cook a while, pull off husks, put on grill for another minute or so, then slather with butter, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper.
rivka
Member # 4859

I think the first one (which is not a kosher tag, but halal) -- quid?

Definitely the second. Um, not the third -- it has garbanzo beans.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

I should probably go to the "ask the (what was that word--rebbitzen?)" thread for this, but anyway, what's the difference between regular Kosher and Kosher for Passover? I know there is massive cleaning of food prep areas involved in Passover prep, but I obviously don't know much because garbanzo beans are really not on the radar!
rivka
Member # 4859

Kosher for Passover
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thanks for the link. I must be really tired because honestly, I do know that leavening is what needs to be avoided on Passover, really I do. So I'm kinda embarrassed that I asked that! [Blushing] But anyway, the bit about all the other grains was news to me, so that was interesting.

quote:
And let's not even get started on pet food.
Pet food needs to be kosher too? Now that I never thought about.
rivka
Member # 4859

Yes and no. There are various types of non-kosher; some a Jew may get benefit from (and could therefore feed a pet) and some he may not (and therefore cannot feed a pet). The most significant one in the second category is mixed dairy-and-meat.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Pet Food, Kosher for Passover
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

I just made lasagna.

Not just any lasagna.

This is lasagna that makes the lactose intollerant weep and hardened carnivores say, "Hey, maybe the lacto-ovo vegetarian thing could work."

Tomato sauce with red wine. Two layers of ricotta mixed with sundried tomato pesto; two layers of ricotta mixed with artichoke hearts and spinach. Mozzerella-provolone-asiago over the top.

Homemade pasta; parsley, basil, and oregano straight from the garden.

I'm feeling very, very good about myself right now. [Smile]

EDIT (add): Oh, and Walla Walla sweet onions and elephant garlic in the tomato sauce.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
But wouldn't it be better with a little meat? [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad makes 'veggielasagna' and even though I eat meat, I actually like it better than the 'regular' stuff...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
But wouldn't it be better with a little meat? [Wink]

Y'know, I thought about it. I'm actually an omnivore, though I probably eat less meat than many. But I may end up bringing some of it to an ill vegetarian friend, so I decided at the last moment not to add beef to the tomato sauce.

With nearly three pounds of cheese in it, I don't thick it lacks for richness. [Smile]

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm... cheese.

I'm going to eat the sandwich in my backpack as soon as one of the "study rooms" here at the library opens up, so that I don't get caught eating. [Blushing]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

- posted      Profile for HegemonsAcolyte   Email HegemonsAcolyte         Edit/Delete Post 
i am eating a bunch of twix bars... that's about it for me today
Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Homemade pizza, cake, and ice cream, I love birthdays. It's my brother's, not mine.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a pork roast, with roasted potatoes, carrots, and celery.

It was excellent, and there's tons of leftovers, so I'm thinking barbecue pork sandwiches tomorrow.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I made a crockpot chicken fricassee with vegetables. It was really tasty. I served it with white rice.

Here's a nearly identical recipe. Except the one I made called for a cut-up chicken, not breasts (I used some leg & thigh pieces), and to brown the chicken in oil before putting in crock pot. It also said to salt and pepper the chicken before browning, which I did. I also added some Mrs. Dash. (I'm not a big salt eater, but even at that I added salt at the table, so will probably add more to the recipe next time I make it.)

This recipe's definitely a keeper. The thyme and tarragon give the gravy/broth a really pleasant flavor. And the house smelled yummy all day!

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight may be the night I try Primal Curve's chili recipe. The tab has been sitting open in Firefox for over a week now, and I've been getting hungrier and hungrier.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.