FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 59)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Karl can bring them to me? [Dont Know]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on 25 weeks Mrs M!

For three nights now I've had contractions of increasing intensity, that go for 1 hr +, and then stop. (Last night it was more like 5 hours). Not very regular, but regular-ish.

So, I figure either -

Hey, maybe a baby soon!

or

Maybe the baby's engaging!

or

Maybe 6 1/2 more weeks of this!

(Really hope it's not the last one.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I have what my Dr calls the lightening bolt ones all the time... Like, days, nights, afternoons, all the times. I've come to accept that these mean nothing and I'm going to have to deal with it for weeks. That said - I don't really mind dealing with it because (like the lack of solid nights of sleeping) I figure it's just prepping me for what's to come...

kq - nice cheer... : )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Lightening bolt is a good description! I don't *really* mind either, except that I can't help getting a little excited when they keep going... and going...

(and then stop.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Um. I don't want to make you groan, but it is PROBABLY still Braxton-Hicks...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I know. (But I can live in hope, right?)
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I am watching this show called "Freebirthing" on Discovery Health. I am horrified at the ignorance (stupidity) of one of these girls (Heather, if you are watching). She has no clue about she is doing. What I think is actually worse is when she did go to the hospital they were very ticked off about treating her.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, imogen, I feel your pain so much. I had some false alarms that went on for 2+ hours (one that went for, like, twelve). It's so hard to get your hopes up and then not go into labor over and over and over. And then you start to wonder if you'll know when the real thing comes along.

The only help I can give you is to tell you that you'll know. The real thing is quite a bit different.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the cheer and the good wishes! I think that might be the first cheer anyone ever made up for me and I was a cheerleader for a long time. It was definitely the first pregnancy cheer. [Smile]

Everything looks great. There's still cervix above the stitch, my fluid is perfect, and the babies are healthy. Baby A is 1 pound, 13 ounces and Baby B is 1 pound, 12 ounces. I now have 3 pounds and 9 ounces of baby in me, which is twice as much as I've ever had. The numbers are blowing my mind. In one week from today I'll be more pregnant than I've ever been. Crazy.

The babies are both in the 50th percentile, which is still surprising to me. I always expected to have chubby babies, but that's just not going to happen. It's not that I mind, it's just that I have weight=health imprinted on my mind from Aerin. Also, Andrew and I were both more than 8 pounds and Andrew is a ginormatron. I can't imagine how little they would be if I wasn't eating a high-calorie, high-carb diet. They're extremely active, which is exactly how Aerin was (and today I had to put the waistband on her 2T pants on the tightest setting so they wouldn't fall down (she's 3)). It's for the best, though, because I just don't have the room for superchunks. As Dr. Head put it today, "You're small and your uterus is small and scarred. Big babies would not be good."

imogen and cmc, it just didn't register how close y'all are. I don't know why, but I had this idea that both of you were only a couple of weeks ahead of me. I'm so excited!

Valentine, I haven't gained much weight with this pregnancy at all - maybe 20 pounds so far (they want me to gain at least 45). Everyone is different - my cousin Becki lost 37 pounds when she was pregnant with her second (healthy term baby) and my cousin Jill gained 60 pounds with her first. You just never know. You should talk to your doctor about different ways to get calcium because you're going to need more than you get from cheese when you're pregnant. I took a calcium supplement in powder form that was basically tasteless in water. There are also calcium-fortified drinks like rice milk and orange juice.

Pregnancies and births are so different that it's a wonder anyone can ever make any kind of decision. I had a miserable pregnancy with Aerin and had an emergency C-Section where I almost died. Despite that, I left the hospital 3 days later and was back to my normal activities 2 weeks later. My best friend's SIL had a term baby at home (sans drugs) the week before Aerin was born and she was in bed for about 2 months after that. You just never know. The important thing is to do what you feel is best for your and your baby.

That being said, I absolutely cannot even watch the commercials for Freebirthing. Medical intervention saved my life and Aerin's life and is saving the lives of the twins as we speak. I just cannot understand rejecting every kind of skilled attendant.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Mrs M - I'm a month off today. So it could be 10 days (37 weeks...) or it could be 6 weeks (and a probable induction). If I got that long, we could be close together after all!

Edit - Brinestone, I was actually thinking about you other day. I remember when you had all those false starts with duplo - only now do I understand how frustrating it must have been! I am hoping that I will recognise the real thing when it starts.

[ October 22, 2008, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

I'm not "allowed" to have Braxton-Hicks. That is, I have to go to the hospital immediately if I feel anything remotely like an contraction. I can definitely understand being impatient, though. I wish I could go into some sort of hibernation until the babies are born.

My college friends are fascinated with my pregnancy (they were with Aerin, too). None of them have kids yet - I was the first to get married by 6 years. My friend Samantha says that I should talk to girls in high schools because I give all the gory details about how it stinks to be pregnant. I know it's not crummy for everyone, but I was shocked and angry when I didn't get a beautiful, earth-mother experience, so I want to prepare my friends just in case.

I'm doing so well that I am allowed to go to the NICU reunion this weekend! I have to sit the entire time, of course, but that's fine.

imogen, I saw something perfect for your little guy, but it's backordered until 12/31. So if you could hold on until December, that'd be great. [Wink]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Well I'm certainly not holding on to the 31st. Sadist.

( [Wink] )

Glad to hear it's all going well still - have fun at the reunion.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

It turns out that it will be available by 12/5. Though they won't ship internationally, so it'll have to come to me first. I'll try to have it there in 2008. [Smile] Which reminds me that I want to confirm that I have your correct address. Which I can't do until tomorrow at the earliest, because I can't go upstairs. So frustrating.

We've had lots of good news this week. To my utter shock, I passed my glucose test! I have so many risk factors (PCOS, twins, bad, bad luck) that I was sure I'd fail. My OB was prepared for me to fail. But I passed! I celebrated with ice cream and Heath Bars and Almond Joys (Andrew got the Halloween candy early).

I also had another negative FFN! This will take me past 28 weeks! I cannot even fathom going that far and now the doctors are cautiously optimistic that I'll go even farther. I'm going to have a 3rd trimester. I am now the most pregnant I've ever been. Crazy.

This is making me feel so bad for my Aerin. She had such a rough start and so many disadvantages that these babies won't have. She's doing really well in school, but she has to work so hard to achieve what most children do without any effort, which is almost certainly due to a combination of being a micropreemie and prolonged exposure to strep-B in the womb (there's compelling clinical evidence that such exposure can cause speech and language delays).

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for third trimesters! I think you're gonna go all the way!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Nice work, Mrs.M!!! : ) While I have no experience with anything similar, trying to put myself into your place I'd say that what your feeling sounds natural. You're the Mom... it seems totally rational to me that you'd feel not so hot about her early start. At the same time, I think there's a lot to be said for the care that she DID get and the fight that you guys made to give her the best beginnings with the circumstances you faced. It seems like things could have been far worse for her... I'll stop now in the event that I'm sounding like an idiot. Just trying to say maybe you don't have to feel bad for her for the tough stuff she went through, feel proud of her for making it through... : )

Kyle's out of town until the 14th... Luckily, although the baby's 100% ready and in position to come out into the wide world, my cervix is telling her otherwise. ; ) Next appt is on Tuesday.

: )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Yay Mrs M! I'm with cmc - I understand why you feel bad, but I know you and Andrew have done so much for Aerin. She's a fighter, and I'm sure she gets that from you guys. And I know she'll continue that way.

I'm at 37 weeks tomorrow. Midwife agrees I've been having prelabour and baby is making exit moves, but who knows when it will actually happen. I oscillate between thinking it may be soon and being convinced I'm going to 41+....

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Convince yourself it'll be 42 weeks. Then you won't be disappointed when it doesn't happen! [Wink]

(But, you know, have everything ready just in case. [Big Grin] )

imogen
Member # 5485

That's what I'm trying to do. Unfortunately, either I'm not very persuasive, or I'm not very gullible.

The car seat isn't going to be ready until next week anyway, so I really don't want him to come before that.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

There you go.

Now start a big project like alphabetizing the nursery and convince yourself he can't come until you're done. [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Alphabetizing the nursery?!?

Uh . . . does that mean the changing table has to be between the bassinet and the crib?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't checked in here for awhile but I'm THRILLED to read about everyone's progress.

Mrs. M, I was recently in a Richmond hospital, which made me think about you and those twins. I'm so glad to hear about every additional day that they're staying put. [Big Grin]

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Alphabetizing the nursery?!?

Uh . . . does that mean the changing table has to be between the bassinet and the crib?

That's one way to do it. The beauty of this project is that it will never end. You will keep thinking of new ways they can be alphabetized, then decide in the end that alphabetical is not the way to go and switch them back to the way you had them in the beginning (hopefully BEFORE the baby is actually born.) [Evil]
imogen
Member # 5485

Still cooking. [Smile]

More prelabour signs but no baby. 38.5 weeks and counting down...

Yay for the 30s!!

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Thanks, Liz! What hospital? We've been in all of them for one reason or another. The next time you're in town, call me! Of course, I'm not allowed to leave the house until the babies are born, but after that...

imogen and cmc, how are y'all doing? Still cooking?

I had a perinatologist appt. today and all went well. My Fetal Fibronectin test was negative, which will bring me into week 30! I can't believe I'm going to get into the 30s. I can't believe I'm in the third trimester.

The babies have grown. A lot. Baby A is 3 pounds, 1 ounce (73rd percentile) and Baby B is 2 pounds, 11 ounces (56th percentile)! I've had a few really bad days, with lots of pain and discomfort, which was clearly stretching. The doctor confirmed my suspicion that the rest of my pregnancy will be miserable (her word). That's just fine with me - it's so much more miserable having babies in the NICU. Baby A wouldn't even be a micropreemie if she was born today. Micropreemies are under 3 pounds. I am just so happy that they're big. I am carrying almost 6 pounds of baby.

I'm also a little worried about how big I'm going to get. I am shockingly large now. I am so much more aware of how short I am. I'm barely 5'4'' and short-waisted. All of the women in the doctor's office today were taller than I am. And smaller.

Edit - something weird happened. Here is the full post. Also, if one more person says to me, "At least you're not having 6 like Jon & Kate Plus 8," I'm going to scream. That's not helpful.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy for you Mrs. M [Smile]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Yup - still cooking. Last Friday at the ultrasound she got another 8/8 on the biophysical and looked to be about 7lbs 4oz. Kyle's back on Friday - so she's free to come whenever she'd like after I pick him up at the airport... ; )

Nice work, Mrs.M!!! ; )

Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M--week 30!! Hooray! [The Wave] I am so excited that you've gotten so far.

I was at Henrico Doctor's Hospital visiting my grandfather--we do visit him in Richmond not infrequently, so maybe we can get together sometime when you're off bedrest.

I'm excited for you, too, cmc! Keep us posted!

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray to all you preggo ladies!

I'm really happy for you, Mrs. M, for making it so far.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Me too. [Smile] Mrs. M, you're still in my prayers every morning and every night, and your babies too.
Fool
Member # 11813

- posted      Profile for Fool   Email Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mrs. M, you don't know me, I'm new, but congratulations. I am immediately a fan of yours, because now I know there are at least two families in the world with an Aerin (mine is 2 1/2). Good luck!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Mrs. M! I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering how the babies were doing. I'm so glad things are going well!!

cmc - Hopefully the baby will wait till your husband gets home, but not much after that!

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

That's what I'm screamin', ludosti! ; )

So - question about car seat stuff... Had the seat installed and all that fun stuff this morning. They told me not to use 1) any sort of snuggli type sleeping bagish blanket - even if it has the holes for the straps to go through or 2) any of those head support thingies. (the ones that look like upside down u's?). Does this jive with anyone else's info? I was sort of amazed when they told me that - because it seems like EVERYONE uses those...

scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I was told the same thing- and I think it was in the little how to install book. Though I think that they had a head support that you could order that was designed to work with the specific car seat.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting. All of the car seats I've bought came with the U-shaped head supports. I never used any sort of bag things; if it was cold I just wrapped a blanket over the baby after she was strapped in.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, resident car seat geek speaking up here.

It is okay to use the head support that COMES WITH the car seat or, in some cases, one made by the company (check your instruction manual) because they have been crash tested with them. You should not use any "aftermarket products"-- products made by someone else-- because they have not been crash tested and may interfere with harness routing, snug fit, and in general invalidate your warranty and decrease the safety of the seat. The only things it is okay to use that don't come with the seat/aren't sold by the seat maker are ones that do not interfere with the harness or function of the seat or come between the seat and baby at all. You may use rolled recieving blankets for head support if your seat does not come with a head support. It is okay to use a "shower cap style" seat covering that does not touch the inside of the carrier at all but only goes around the outside, or you may just put a thick blanket or quilt over the baby once s/he is snugly fastened, or you may use the Car Seat Poncho. A thick winter coat or snowsuit or bunting should never ever be worn in the carseat; in a crash it will compress and it will be as if the harness was loose, the baby can fly right out of the seat. (This has happened, one instructor has a picture of a baby seat with an empty snowsuit still snugly buckled in; the baby was ejected and killed instantly.) Only lightweight layers should be worn in the carseat and the harness should be snug enough you should not be able to "pinch a tent." Also, the harness slots MUST be AT OR BELOW the baby's shoulders while rear facing, AT or ABOVE while forward-facing (in the United States; different rules in Australia.) And a child should stay rear-facing as long as possible, it is 5 times safer. Most convertible seats now rear-face to 33 or 35 lbs. in the U.S., and many now forward-face harness well past 40 lbs. which used to be the standard. I am always available to provide input on convertible seats if you need it. [Smile]

I'm really into this stuff. When we get a second car I intend to certify as a Child Passenger Safety Technician. Please feel free to ask any carseat questions by e-mailing me, posting a thread to me, or anything any time. You can also go to http://www.car-seat.org and ask any questions. No registration required to ask a question and someone has probably already asked it and you can do a search. You will also find pictures of the test and products I described. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and as for "everyone" using aftermarket products-- you may be right. Nationally car seat misuse rates are around 3 in 4, 70-75% (misuse constituting anything from those aftermarket products, to using a restraint that does not fit the child, to using it incorrectly, to incorrect installation, to using an expired seat, and beyond) but in some areas they approach 85-90%. The horror stories I've heard you would not believe... Please, please read and follow your carseat's instructions! You should always read the instructions for both the carseat and the car and clarify any questions (either at car-seat.org, they have most of the answers, or with the vehicle or car seat manufacturer) BEFORE using the seat.
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
A thick winter coat or snowsuit or bunting should never ever be worn in the carseat; in a crash it will compress and it will be as if the harness was loose, the baby can fly right out of the seat. (This has happened, one instructor has a picture of a baby seat with an empty snowsuit still snugly buckled in; the baby was ejected and killed instantly.

Oh how awful. [Frown]

Good to know, kq.

Is it ok to tuck in a little blanket or something over the harness? (Given the seasons here, this won't be a concern for at least 6 months, but it can get nippy of a night in winter.)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, it is totally okay to put a blanket or something else OVER the properly-harnessed child. In fact many parents in cold climates put their kids in coats, take them off when they get in the seats, buckle them, then put the coats on backwards like a blanket. As long as the child is buckled snugly in FIRST, it is safe to put a blanket over. Or you can check out the Car Seat Poncho linked above-- I think they ship internationally and they are an EXCELLENT product!
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I had forgotten about kq being a carseat wiz! Thanks to her recommendation, I'm really liking the Radian we have now for Beanie. I'm also very happy that the carseat cooler I made for her first carseat (in the summertime I need to keep the seat and buckles from getting hot enough to burn her while we're out running errands and the car has to sit in the sun) fits the Radaian too (with the easy addition of a piece of elastic).

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
one instructor has a picture of a baby seat with an empty snowsuit still snugly buckled in; the baby was ejected and killed instantly

This just makes my heart ache to think about. [Frown]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Car seats are one of my soapboxes.

I am frequently surprised by people and their attitudes towards carseats.

In one case, some prosperous, nice friends from our church were adamant that they would never, ever drive over the speed limit, BUT were perfectly fine with taking babies out of car seats on long road trips for nursing, because they "wanted to make good time". As the car is hurtling along at a (strictly legal, eyeroll) 65 mph.

My brother was an EMT for some years and had plenty of horror stories. Cars don't even have to be going that fast before impact for improperly buckled little kids to die.

Kudos, KQ. What a cool job that would be.

(also sorry for my preachy monologue. I usually try not to be horrified at people and confess the sins of others)

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, you would not imagine the number of BMWs and Lexuses and other way-too-expensive-for-me-to-afford-them vehicles I see with old, nasty, expired and unsafe seats in our local community. The mind boggles. I also see way too many kids forward-facing way too soon. And very strange installations of expensive carseats. There is no benefit to buying a top-of-the-line carseat if you are going to use it in a way that negates its safety. [Frown] I am really looking forward to becoming certified. It's not a paying job but it's an important one! (Although I'm considering hiring myself out to the studios nearby as a "carseat consultant" so I don't have to see horrible usage on as many tv shows and movies, lol!)
cmc
Member # 9549

So... Got it on the car seat stuff... I was actually sort of waiting for ketchupqueen to weigh in on it and I'm sold on the no additions... Just to clarify - you WOULD use the little head-roll thing that came with the car seat or you would NOT? The woman at the installation was explaining that because babies spend so much time on their backs - their neck muscles are really weak... So if the baby got lopsided on there for some reason and their head was stuck forward, they might close off their airway. I'm not really complaining about any of this - I'll either use it or not - but clearly NOT if it's not safe... ; )

As of today - about 2cm dilated and 50% effaced... I didn't get the number but the doc said she's 'nice and low'... ; ) She also said that she's on call tonight and I might see her later. Not sure how credible that is - but we'll see... ; ) The mucus plug is officially GONE and I've been having contractions all day since the appointment... I'm not holding my breath but I think she's gonna be here sometime soon... If she doesn't come by next Wed - we've got an ultrasound to check her fluid and decide if we need to induce...

How's everyone else doing???

imogen
Member # 5485

Wowee! Good luck.

I've had very little action since my last appointment (which was a week ago) - baby was 2/5 engaged then.

Seeing the midwife on Friday morning, so we'll see. Then it's just up to him. If he does come late, we won't be inducing until about 41 +6.... (as long as he's still happy and healthy) so it could still be a December baby. (I hope not.)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wooo hooo imogen! Engagement is good! Hopefully that will get things moving for you soon! I've always been starting to dilate before I'm induced. If you get to 3 or 4 it gets very uncomfy to just hang out around that... You may decide if you get to that point to go before 42 weeks. Leave yourself open. But I bet you're going to go on your own by 40 +3 at the latest. That's my guess!

quote:
Just to clarify - you WOULD use the little head-roll thing that came with the car seat or you would NOT? The woman at the installation was explaining that because babies spend so much time on their backs - their neck muscles are really weak... So if the baby got lopsided on there for some reason and their head was stuck forward, they might close off their airway.
I would use (and have used) a head support supplied by the car seat manufacturer. [Smile] It's perfectly safe. Babies have better head control than that from birth unless they are significantly premature or have a muscle tone problem. It's not that "babies spend so much time on their backs" that gives them weak necks; it's that babies are born weak all over. But within a few weeks most can hold their heads up in many situations and in many cases also turn away from something over their face.

Now, it is important to have the seat installed at the correct angle. If it is not at a full 45 degree angle, a newborn with poor neck control can have their head flop forward and that is when suffocation is a real danger. The "level indicator" on the seat is not always accurate. After putting the baby in the car observe for a moment. If the baby's head flops forward the seat is not reclined enough, no matter what the seat's indicator says. This is also why the head support should go around/over their head, not under their neck or the top of their head. If it's under their neck or head it can push the head forward.

You also need to be careful to keep things out of the carseat that can get trapped in front of a newborn's face. If they have a hood on their jacket it should be up, not down behind their head; that could, again, push it up, or they could pull at it and get it over their face. If you cover baby with a blanket tuck it firmly down around her so she can't pull it up. If you have rolled recieving blankets for support it is a good idea to tape them into shape so that they can't come unrolled if the baby wiggles.

Also, to promote better head control and stronger muscles all around and prevent head flattening, all babies should have "tummy time" for fifteen to twenty minute, supervised intervals several times a day from birth on (unless a medical condition prevents it.) And having better head control and stronger necks means more safety in the car and possibly less danger of SIDS because of ability to change positions. [Smile] (This last paragraph brought to you by my mom, the craniofacial nurse. [Wink] )

imogen
Member # 5485

40+3 sounds good to me. [Smile]

I guess I won't rule out an earlier induction: but if I am induced, I have to go to the regular hospital delivery suites, not the birth centre. I am very keen on delivering in the birth centre, so if I can possibly work it that way I want to.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Even if you're not "induced" induced there are things your midwife can do, like stripping the membranes, that might kick labor up if you're at that point. So it's just something to keep in mind. [Smile] I've been to 41 + weeks at 4 cm for days with contractions that were not turning to real labor for 2 weeks straight and I never, ever, ever want to go there again...
imogen
Member # 5485

Yeah, my midwife tends to strip the membranes at about 41+3. I'm not sure if she'd do it earlier or not.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Any new babies yet?

I can't imagine being overdue, but then again, I can't imagine even getting to my due date.

I will, however, definitely make it to 31+ weeks. I had another negative fFN today! Everything looks so good that I don't even have to have an exam next week, just my progesterone shot.

If you have a preemie or low-birth-weight term baby or a baby with certain kinds of medical equipment or respiratory ailments, you may not use anything that does not come with the car seat, including rolled up blankets. Our NICU and PCN do not allow them for any of the babies. Aerin was very small and did need the preemie attatchment that came with the seat. We never had any problems with her head sagging. Of course, our car seat was inspected at a fire station and by the NICU physical therapist (who is also a nurse), so it was for sure installed correctly.

I've heard that there's proposed recommendation at various public health agencies regarding the mirrors you can put up to see your rear-facing child from the rear view mirror. I think that's probably a good idea, because they're extremely distracting. When you're looking at your baby, you're not watching the road. If you think your baby is in distress, pull over.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one, and I wouldn't say it's distracting. I don't usually look at it, and when I do, it's usually to check if my kids are asleep. Also, I check it most often while stopped at lights (then it was to smile at them and say hi). I can't imagine that a little mirror is any more distracting than the other mirrors you glance in while driving safely, unless you just stare at your kids instead of, you know, glancing.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The problem with the mirrors is not that they're a distraction, but that they don't firmly anchor to the car, and become a projectile in a crash-- usually aimed right at a small baby's head. (Also a good reason to keep your car clean and carry cargo ONLY in the trunk-- in an accident, imagine a giant turning your car upside down and shaking it. Anything heavy that's not strapped in or anchored to the car can injure or kill occupants. That's also the reason even an unoccupied car seat or booster should be belted in in the car, although some newer harness/booster combos now let you use the LATCH attachments to anchor the seat when it's not in use in booster mode so you don't have to buckle it in every time.)

quote:
If you have a preemie or low-birth-weight term baby or a baby with certain kinds of medical equipment or respiratory ailments, you may not use anything that does not come with the car seat, including rolled up blankets.
This varies widely. Many NICUs that have CPSTs on staff or volunteering with them DO approve the use of rolled blankets and/or a washcloth under the crotch buckle to fit the child correctly. These have been tried and tested methods that are approved by the national certifying agency for car safety technicians, and are often recommended/used by special-needs certified technicians who work in NICUs and do a lot of work on this subject. Work is being done right now to update the AAP and AMA guidelines on car seat trials for preemies/low birthweight babies, including what should and should not be used with them, training in car seat safety for NICU workers (many of whom do not have much-- ideally, there should be a special-needs certified CPST working in concert with the neonatologist and other staff and the parents to all make sure the baby is safe in the car, but this rarely happens-- there just aren't enough techs to go around and some hospitals don't even see the need even though things are constantly changing in the world of child passenger safety) and technicians are also working with companies that make portable oxygen tanks, monitors, and other equipment used by some preemies to make sure that this equipment has a way to anchor to the car in future models. This is an area of high interest for me personally and many techs in general, and rest assured there are many people working on it. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.