FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 57)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I know, I'm just bored at work and seeking distraction [Wink] I totally understand, it's her news to share.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm full of girls! Aaaaaaaaaah! Well, I'm not getting my tubes tied now. D'oh!

My cervix funnelled a little, but not down to the stitch. Not even close, but it does make me a little nervous.

The Magnolias are facing each other, which is sweet. They're side-by-side now, which is probably better for my cervix.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M, do you have other daughters, then?
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
She has one daughter, Aerin.

Congratulations, Mrs.M! Three girls is such fun. [Big Grin]

I'm picturing matchy outfits galore!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!! : )

I don't really understand what that means, the funneling part. I'm gathering that it has something to do with the length of the cervix (like how at my 25 wk appt he measured me at 26 cm?) but I can't find anything that explains it very well.

You call them Magnolias? Cute... We call Chloe (well, probably chloe anyway...) Pineapple...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Congrats, Mrs. M!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to you all!
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Thanks, y'all.

Funneling is when the cervix opens from the inside (the part closest to the baby). That's probably the worst explanation ever, but I'm so tired. We called Aerin Ladybug when I was carrying her, so we wanted to continue the tradition of Southern womb nicknames.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
Congrats!!! : )

I don't really understand what that means, the funneling part. I'm gathering that it has something to do with the length of the cervix (like how at my 25 wk appt he measured me at 26 cm?) but I can't find anything that explains it very well.

You call them Magnolias? Cute... We call Chloe (well, probably chloe anyway...) Pineapple...

26 cm is the height of the top of your uterus, not the length of your cervix. The cervix starting to funnel means it's starting to open, so it has to be watched closely if there's a risk of premature labor.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Duh, dkw. When you wrote that, it seemed like such a dumb thing I typed. Hey - I'm new at this, still gotta get the lingo down... ; )

Another potentially dumb question - when someone goes into actual labor, does the cervix open from the other end?

I'm thinking closed, unfunneling thoughts for you, Mrs. M...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

I have three girls! It's a lot of fun. [Smile] Hooray, Mrs. M!

When I was pregnant with Suki, we called her The Zeke. "How's Zeke today?"

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M uses lots of lingo I don't know. [Smile] But it sounds like this pregnancy is overall having less complications then the last, despite being twins.

Girls are the best!! I was so glad to have a girl because while I would rather have a mix, if I have all girls I'd be happier then all boys.

I call my friend's baby Eustace because she thinks that is the worst name possible for a baby. She said it could be the in utero name though.

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
when someone goes into actual labor, does the cervix open from the other end?
Yes, that's the part of your body that dilates to 10 cm during labor. [Smile] It also thins out prior to and during labor, and that's called effacement.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Got it... but is does it open from one specific side (closer to the baby or farther away from the baby) when all that goes on?

I'd not ever even thought about it until Mrs.M mentioned that with funneling it's the side closer to the baby...

dkw
Member # 3264

Same side -- closest to the baby.

Here's an animation.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Thanks... : )

That was a really good video. Slightly frightening, but good.

Sachiko
Member # 6139

I think I actually felt contractions while I watched that video. It was very intense.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Here we go again.

My OB called last night. After talking to Dr. Christmas (my perinatologist), they've decided that if my cervix funnels more in the next 2 weeks, I'll have to go on bedrest. I'm praying for home bedrest and I'm optimistic about my chances. My mother has her suitcase packed and she'll be coming up to take care of me. I'll be able to go to Aerin's first day of school, but I'll probably miss her birthday party. I'm pretty bummed.

cmc
Member # 9549

I'm in the better safe than sorry camp right about now, but I'm still thinking those non-funneling thoughts for you right now!!! : )

BOOOOOO to missing birthday parties.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I'm sorry Mrs M. I hope that your cervix stays put where it is and bed rest doesn't have to eventuate.

(And congratulations on your girls! [Smile] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for the baby girls!! I hope your cervix will stop funneling and you will not need to go on bedrest (and miss Aerin's party)!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thoughts and prayers for a tough cervix here, at least until the birthday party!!!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

Ditto here. Put your feet up and drink something cold.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Thanks, y'all. We had kind of a scare on Friday, but the babies are fine and I'm fine.

Friday morning I started to feel really crummy during my shower. I had some pelvic pressure and back pain and stomach upset. These are common with twin pregnancies, but they can also be signs of preterm labor. So I put my feet up and drank a glass of water. Didn't help. There was no bleeding or discharge, so I knew I had some time. I cancelled my knitting circle and packed a bag, in case I had to stay in the hospital. I got Aerin in the car and drove to my OB's office (which is in the hospital). They all assured me that I was right to come in. There were no contractions and my cervix was so closed and long that it looked like I never had a baby at all (to paraphrase the doctor).

Since then I've felt okay, except for a lot of round ligament pain and belly itching. I can feel my uterus stretching out and I swear you can almost see my belly expaning every which way. I feel like an elephant.

Richmonders are extremely nice and very family-oriented, so I get many, many comments from people who mean well. The lady at the checkout today said I was brave to be shopping so close to my due date. It's getting harder to laugh about this as I get more and more uncomfortable.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Poor thing! I'm never sure what's worse, to get comments that assume you're further along, or to get no comments...
imogen
Member # 5485

(((Mrs M))) I'm glad it was just a scare and nothing worse.

I'm starting to get odd pelvic pains that extend down my legs - I think it's just things stretching and loosening. Uncomfortable though.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Uggg, imogen, I hate that. After a while my legs (especially teh left) would actually go numb, then hurt like crazy when I moved. Silly baby lying on my nerves...
cmc
Member # 9549

imogen, I had sciatica REALLY bad for a while. It's still there, but not nearly as bad as it was before. I guess she's shifted her most comfortable spot or something. Mine was on the right side and sometimes it was almost like I couldn't move the leg and when I did, it felt like it was going to fall off it hurt so badly. The doc had me do some stretching stuff with mostly my hips and a little bit of my leg and that seemed to help a bit... Basically just taking my ankle and putting it up on the opposite knee and trying to get the knee as far down as I could. Also just sitting like that and sort of bringing my shoulders forward helped, too.
imogen
Member # 5485

Glad to know I'm normal. [Smile]

I'll try some stretching.

I told my Mum (the GP) who helpfully told me that she never had anything like that with any of her pregnancies. Thanks Mum. Though really, I've felt so well so far, I've nothing to complain about.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
I told my Mum (the GP) who helpfully told me that she never had anything like that with any of her pregnancies. Thanks Mum.

I had the same conversation with my mother (who's a doctor, but not the kind that helps people [Wink] ) about morning sickness. Yeah, no so helpful.

For me, the best stretch for sciatica was the wheelbarrow. (Hey, I have that book!)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

When I told my mother that I could feel the babies, she said I couldn't be feeling them because she didn't feel me move until 5 months. She also helpfully informed me that she had no round ligament or back pain. BTW, she's 5 inches taller than me and had 1 child. [Roll Eyes]

I had an ultrasound yesterday. My cervix is totally closed - no funneling whatsoever! The babies are great. They're each 9 ounces. Baby A moved back to the low center of my womb, right above my cervix. Very uncomfortable. I'm on half-day bedrest - half the day lying flat, half the day doing normal activities within reason. Since I was pretty much doing that anyway, it's not a hardship.

scholarette
Member # 11540

Yeah!!!
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yay for closed cervices!

I am lucky to have a mother who may say "I never had that" but follows it with "it sounds awful." Or something like that, so I know she knows it's real!

And, I've heard you often feel twins earlier, just because there's double the chances to feel it! I felt Emma at 14 weeks.

lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
I get that Magnolia is a southern tree and hence nickname, but I don't get the connection with ladybugs... they aren't especially southern are they?
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Yay for Babies A and B and for Mrs M. [Smile]

I saw your photo on facebook Mrs M - I see what you mean about showing early. You have my sympathy.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I am lucky to have a mother who may say "I never had that" but follows it with "it sounds awful."

Oh, mine said that. I certainly never thought she thought I was making anything up.

It is very common to feel baby movement earlier in later pregnancies -- you know what it feels like, and recognize it for what it is. I felt movement with #3 at 12 weeks (and we confirmed that I really was with the little ultrasound machine my doctor's office had).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I don't think my mother thinks I'm making it up - it's just not entirely helpful. (Especially when I'm sort of asking what could be causing the pain.)

I felt this baby at 17 weeks, I think. It's funny, comparing the kicks (thumps) now to those first little movements.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
I don't think my mother thinks I'm making it up - it's just not entirely helpful. (Especially when I'm sort of asking what could be causing the pain.)

Exactly!

How's the sciatica?

imogen
Member # 5485

Not too bad. It's fairly intermittent - most of time I'm fine, but occasionally (especially when I have been sitting or lying in a particular way for a reasonable length of time) it's quite painful.

But brief. [Smile]

I'm belatedly celebrating my normal glucose test with a donut for breakfast. (Glazed baby!)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

See, that's the other good thing about my mom; being an RN and OTR, she usually either fixes it for me (apparently some PT and OT training overlaps) or gives me helpful advice on how to deal with it.
cmc
Member # 9549

imogen... I celebrated with a whole mess of Twizzlers. And I loved it. ; )
dkw
Member # 3264

I had milk & cookies.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

I'm on bedrest.

I had an ultraound today. I'm funneled enough that they want me flat and inactive. Fortunately, I haven't funneled down to the cerclage and I'm not having contractions, which is good. My mother is coming a week from Thursday and we've got things covered until then. I do have permission to go to Aerin's birthday party this Sunday, but that will be my last public appearance (in the words of my perinatologist).

The babies are fantastic. They are extremely active, just like their big sister was.

I'm bummed out, but at least I'm not in the hospital.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, man, no fun. Glad that there's no contractions, and no problems with the babies, though!
imogen
Member # 5485

(((Mrs M)))

I'm glad the babies are doing so well. [Smile]

I'm at 31 weeks tomorrow. My entire family is now having baby dreams. (It's contagious!)

scholarette
Member # 11540

Mrs. M- how far along are you?
cmc
Member # 9549

I'm still three days behind, imogen... ; ) How are you feeling?

Mrs M - at least you're making it through the party, but still a bummer...

imogen
Member # 5485

Pretty good, cmc. Some little niggles, but overall ok. You?

Edit - Oh, I meant to tell you, I've been getting 'small bump' comments. They really started over the last couple of weeks or so. The midwife says I'm measuring right on target though, so I'm not too concerned. Just happy a lot of my normal (though admittedly loose fitting) clothes still fit. [Smile]

I think you're going to beat me to actual baby though. Just a feeling.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was that way with my first pregnancy, imogen-- I was able to wear a lot of my elastic-waist skirts and looser, larger t-shirts through the whole pregnancy, I had almost no maternity clothes.

With my second, I was in maternity clothes by 4 months, despite having started out weighing LESS than I did before my first (once you counted in chest size.)

With my third, where I had put on some weight compared to then, I was in maternity clothes at about 6 weeks, at least for pants/bottoms. [Embarrassed]

imogen
Member # 5485

The things I have to look forward to next time, huh? [Smile] (Not that I'm planning that to happen anytime soon!).

Though I was in a maternity bra from about 10 weeks. And I am going to have to go buy some more pretty soon, and get remeasured.

(I really didn't need that part of me to grow... *grumble*)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.