FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread (Page 6)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Opportunity's spectrometer is acting up, and has been shut down for the moment.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Watery Atmosphere Discovered on Enceladus
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Them's good resources, thanks!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
13 Things That Do Not Make Sense
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a fascinating article, plaid!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Yeah, pretty cool, huh? [Smile]

Pretty much all the good links I ever post come from Neil Gaiman's website. I could start "The 'Interesting, Neil Gaiman Related News' Thread" [Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to point out, Ennis's results on homeopathy have been pretty much debunked. Here's the BBC trying to replicate her experiment for the Randi prize (and I think other people have tried, too, and if they have none have managed to reproduce her results in a supervised fashion): http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s827502.htm#transcript
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You ought to plaid--I'd love that!

As for the New Scientist article, yeah, that was really interesting. I've actually been waiting for my print copy of the issue that contains this article, because I didn't think it was available online. I've been feeling all tantalized when I've seen the headline for that article on the cover of the magazine (in their "this week's issue" photo that's always in the sidebar on their site). I'm glad I was wrong.

xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I might have to break down and subscribe to New Scientist because I keep reading interesting articles on their website.

NASA introduces its Centennial Challenge program. One of its challenges is to build a tether, which could lead to space elevators.

This month's print Discover had a good article on Titan. Synopsis here. The article led me to the European Space Agency's website, which has lots of great images. (eh, I can't get it to link right to the Titan images. But this is their image gallery.)

Finally, on a silly note, Mars Rover Opportunity updated her LiveJournal today. [Big Grin]

[ March 24, 2005, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: xnera ]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
NASA directly detects a planet.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Shape Shifting Robot (link contains video [Smile] )

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Transformers! More than meets the eye....

The wall climbing was amazing--almost too much to be believed.

Dude, that last one looked downright organic!

*is jealous of robot*

[ March 31, 2005, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Robot repairman

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

New extinction theory (from space!)

Hobbes [Smile]

no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, but the article doesn't explain the iridium formation.

Night of the Comet! [Angst]

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Autonomous military satellite to inspect others in orbit

Somehow I have difficulty in believing the bit about this not being a test of a weapons system designed to forcibly decommission satellites.

Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
DART appears to be a re-make of the old OMV (Orbital Maneuvering Vehicle) that was canceled in the late 80's. It's a great idea, and about time!

What NASA seems to have gotten away from is the mechanical interface on the front. The OMV was designed with the ability to change out various payloads, using a quick-disconnect. It could be fitted with a three-clawed grapple set designed to mate up with receivers built in to the back end of the Hubble. It could also attach to a Robonaut (Flight Telerobotic Servicer) payload, or to a large, spinning capture-hand (with a 15-20 foot span) to grab errant satellites.

Oh well, better late than never.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, hopefully the XSS-11 is having better luck than DART did.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
forcibly decommission
[ROFL]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
The newly confirmed NASA administrator Michael Griffin will reconsider a rescue/repair mission for orbiting Hubble telescope! Yay! [Big Grin]
quote:
[during his confirmation hearings] Regarding a possible shuttle mission, Griffin noted the decision made by his predecessor, Sean O'Keefe, not to send a manned spacecraft to service the telescope "was made in the immediate aftermath of the loss of Columbia. When we return to flight it will be with essentially a new vehicle, which will have a new risk analysis associated with it.

"At that time I think we should reassess the earlier decision in light of what we learn after we return to flight," he said.

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20050413-044524-5705r.htm
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Big Grin] Thanks twink!
Noemon
Member # 1115

Billiards in Spaaaaaaace
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hot Spots on Neutron Stars Tracked for First Time
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Odd that the unhealthy side-effects of inhaling moondust haven't been widely mentioned until now.
And apparently, snorting marsdust would be about as nasty as snorting Drano.

[ April 26, 2005, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Anybody know how high MUBLCOM is orbiting?
Cuz if it's in LowEarthOrbit, DART gave it one hellacious bump to boost the trajectory 5.5kilometres/3.4miles to 9.25km/5.75mi

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Jupiter and Saturn split, bumping Neptune into planetesimals, planetesimals into Moon's pockets.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20050618/fob1.asp

quote:
Astronomers have found the closest known cousin to Earth, a solid world just 15 light-years beyond the solar system.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Cooooool! Planets seem to be very common.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

The Eye of Sauron is upon you.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Check out the satellite that NASA is preparing to send to Mars! Very cool.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
That is seriously cool.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Pluto, Charon, Ixion, Varuna, Quaoar, Sedna, Orcus, and now...
beverly
Member # 6246

So, it's a really, really big comet that doesn't get close enough to the sun to ignite? Kinda like Pluto?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Evaporate rather than ignite, but yeah, seems like Pluto is just another BIG comet along with the other Cubewanos and Plutinos.
aspectre
Member # 2222

A day passes and yet another transNeptunian object. This one is definitely bigger than Pluto, even if one assumes that it bounces light as well as the most reflective natural object in the SolarSystem.
Apparently it is bright enough to be seen through high-end amateur telescopes.

[ July 30, 2005, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I was just searching for this thread to post the same news!

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Wow, a tenth planet! I'm so excited! I wonder what they'll name it, and if the IAU will give their stamp of approval to the proposed name?
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

BTW, calling an object a planet is somewhat debatable. There is no sharp dividing line between an asteroid, planetoid, huge comet and a planet, especially Pluto, which many astronomers don't consider a planet. But it seems only logical that if an object is bigger than Pluto, it should be called a planet. The estimate for the diameter of 2003 UB313 is 3000 km, bigger than Pluto's 2,320 km.

If it was up to me, I would say that no object smaller than Pluto should be called a planet. Pluto should be the lower bound, and might as well be called a planet as it has been for the last 75 years.

Hmmm, some want to demote Pluto to planetoid status. BBC link
While the idea has some merit, I bet it won't be popular enough, to the general public or to astonomers, to work, at least for the foreseeable future.

If many more larger-than-Pluto Kuiper Belt or Oort Cloud objects start popping up, that could change things.
As well as give astrologers nervous breakdowns. [Wink]

[ July 30, 2005, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

beverly
Member # 6246

Since many people don't like considering Pluto a planet, and this one is bigger than Pluto, maybe it can replace Pluto as our beloved ninth planet?

My Very Excellent Mother Just Showed Us Nine _____? The possibilities are endless.

Morbo
Member # 5309

No, I think we're stuck with Pluto due to it's long history of being called a planet.
quote:
"If we were starting anew, undoubtedly Pluto wouldn't be labelled a planet," Professor Iwan Williams, of the IAU, told BBC News Online.

"But we have almost a 100 years of culture that says Pluto's a planet. So the IAU will set up a working group to try to ponder the imponderable."

from my BBC link above

That's a good mnemonic. I always liked the one for star types:
Oh, Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me.

O is the hottest group of stars, our sun is G, M is the coolest and smallest. Originally, the types were alphabetical according to temperature, but the early assumptions were wrong and they had to be reordered, with some letter types thrown out as irrelevant. The old labels stuck--much like the planet label sticks to Pluto.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If many more larger-than-Pluto Kuiper Belt or Oort Cloud objects start popping up, that could change things.
As well as give astrologers nervous breakdowns. [Wink]

waitaminnit, we have Oort clouds? You mean Thread is coming???? How long do we have to build stone and metal shelters? And where are our dragons?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the great links!
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Grow your own in space.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hubble Scans Moon for Potential Lunar Base Sites
aspectre
Member # 2222

If Ceres is full of water, Mars is even more irrelevent to any future in space.

[ October 03, 2005, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the moon.

Is this old news or how come Noemon didn't jump on it?!

[ September 16, 2005, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

It's relatively new news, unless I'm mistaken. I read about it yesterday, or maybe the day before, I think; I just haven't been posting as many sciency type links lately.
plaid
Member # 2393

A couple neat space books I've been reading:

The Grand Tour: A Traveler's Guide to the Solar System, 3rd edition by William K. Hartmann and Ron Miller. Like the title says, a tour of the solar system, looking at planets, moons, asteroids, Kuiper Belt Objects, etc. Neat facts, good explanations, some photos, and great scientific illustrations -- what it'd be like to look at Jupiter from one of its moons, what it'd be like to be in Saturn's atmosphere and look up at the rings in the sky... neat!

Moondust: In Search of the Men Who Fell to Earth by Andrew Smith. The author interviews the 9 surviving astronauts who landed on the moon. What the experience was like, what their lives have been since then... really interesting stuff, though it helps a lot to already know a lot of space history. And the author's style is pretty annoying -- sorta New Journalism/Rolling Stone-ish, he tells you way too much about himself (like, he'll tell you what he had for breakfast before he met with one of the astronauts). But if you can skip over that stuff, it's a fascinating book.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
10th "Planet" Has Moon

My favourite quote:

quote:
"Since the day we discovered Xena, the big question has been whether or not it has a moon," Professor Brown said in a statement.

"Having a moon is just inherently cool - and it is something that most self-respecting planets have, so it is good to see that this one does, too."

Heh.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

The Saturn system is really weird. Take a look at Hyperion.

Okay, the surface is gonna take some explaining, but at least I can come up with a few ideas that might work.

But Hyperion's density of 60% that of ice leading to the NASA site's explanation of "a rubble pile consisting of 40% void" just doesn't work. Rubble would pack much tighter, leaving no room for that much void

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.