FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 8)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
Dobie
Member # 1130

- posted      Profile for Dobie   Email Dobie         Edit/Delete Post 
The Word of the Day for December 6 is:

compurgator \KAHM-per-gay-ter\ (noun)
: one that vouches under oath for the character or conduct of an accused person

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
My worst nightmare is that I am in a Texas prison- on trial for murder without a compurgator.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, my compurgator turned out to be a cross between Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton.

Hmm... and I always thought a compurgator was the latest computerized alligator toy from Sony. It's not a big seller because it responds to every command by eating your poodle.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Perelandra
Member # 3632

- posted      Profile for Perelandra           Edit/Delete Post 
The defense lawyer strode confidently up to the witness stand. He swept his gaze over the jury and let it rest upon the shackled witness.

"You now stand as the defendant's compugator. Is that correct?" he said in a smooth tone.

"Yessir." the witness grunted.

"Would you please explain your relationship to the defendant."

"He's mah bitch."

"When did you first meet Mr. Norton?" the lawyer queried.

"Last night in shower J2."

Suddenly, from the prosecutions desk came a loud "OBJECTION!"

After a minute-long pause the judge, in a harsh tone, said "Please be kind enough to explain the objection prosecutor Burns."

"Well sir, this man cannot be used as a compugator. He has hardly known the defendant 24 hours!"

The judge smirked "I agree. This man is completely useless as a compugator. Please remove him from the courtroom baliff."

Exasperatedly the defense leapt to the judge's seat.

"Please, your honor, my client has no other person who can act as a compugator. He has been in hiding for over 10 years! All his friend's and family have passed-"

"I've heard enough of this." The judge snapped "I find this man to be of no use, legally, as a compugator. Please remove him from the court baliff."

The would-be compugator stalked out of the chambers mumbling "He's mah bitch, yessir he is!"

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 7 is:

sylvan \SIL-vun\ (adjective)
1 a : living or located in the woods or forest
1 b : of, relating to, or characteristic of the woods or forest
2 a : made, shaped, or formed of woods or trees
2 b : abounding in woods, groves, or trees
: wooded

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmm... and I always thought a compurgator was the latest computerized alligator toy from Sony. It's not a big seller because it responds to every command by eating your poodle

I should think that such a toy would be popular everywhere but Beverly Hills.

Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
The sylvan piggies enjoyed a unique relationship with the forrest.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee... vivisection....
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Upon entering the sylvan glade, Bob thought that the scent would make a wonderful air freshener. So, he had the whole place leveled and shipped off to the factory for rendering.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 8 is:

nocuous \NAH-kyuh-wus\ (adjective)
: harmful

Daedalus
Member # 1698

- posted      Profile for Daedalus   Email Daedalus         Edit/Delete Post 
How long do you people plan on continuing this thread? It's probably not nocuous to your mental health, but EIGHT pages?
Posts: 641 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Bates Motel could be termed the Inn Nocuous!

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 9 is:

bona fides \boh-nuh-FYE-deez\ (noun)
1 : good faith : sincerity
2 : evidence of one's good faith or genuineness -- often plural in construction
3 : evidence of one's qualifications or achievements -- often plural in construction

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

My bona fides are all over these pages!

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 10 is:

menorah \muh-NOR-uh\ (noun)
: a candelabrum with seven or nine candles that is used in Jewish worship

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Im gonna roast Bob over a menorah.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Perelandra
Member # 3632

- posted      Profile for Perelandra           Edit/Delete Post 
David Lee Roth, lights the menorah...
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

In the grand scheme of things, celebrating the fact that one night's worth of oil lasted MANY MANY days is a better reason to own a menorah than just that it looks cool on your mantel and goes with your decor.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 11 is:

deflagrate \DEF-luh-grayt\ (verb)
intransitive sense : to burn rapidly with intense heat and sparks being given off
transitive sense : to cause to burn in such a manner

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The conflagration deflagrated the flag which, coincidentally, was placed on a grate.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 12 is:

fountainhead \FOWN-tun-hed\ (noun)
1 : a spring that is the source of a stream
2 : principal source
: origin

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Which is the fountainhead of Hatrack, Orson Scott Card or the Internet?

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 13 is:

nexus \NEK-sus\ (noun)
1 : connection, link
:also, a causal link
2 : a connected group or series
3 : center, focus

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Hatrack is the nexus between fantasy and, well, just plain goofing off.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
My lexus is the nexus between death and some place deep in my solar plexus.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 14 is:

majuscule \MAJ-us-kyool or muh-JUSS-kyool\ (noun)
: a large letter (as a capital)

Snorri
Member # 2195

- posted      Profile for Snorri   Email Snorri         Edit/Delete Post 
mY 'caps lock' KEY IS STUCK.
tHAT'S WHY i SWAP majuscles AND MINUSCLES...

sNORRI

Posts: 394 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The chapter started with a majuscule and went downhill from there.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 15 is:

gibe \JYBE\ (verb)
1 : to utter taunting words
2 : to deride or tease with taunting words

[This message has been edited by Dobie (edited December 15, 2001).]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

After Bill's gibe about the jib, he was quite embarrassed to find it was he who had run the boat aground!

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Supplemental Word of the Day for December 15 is:

jibe \JYBE\ (verb)
1 : to be in accord with; agree
2 : variant of gibe

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

In some instances, "gibe" and "jibe" jibe, but in others, they do not.

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited December 15, 2001).]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

And in those cases they generally don't jive either.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 16 is:

gild the lily \GILD-thuh-LIH-lee\ (verb phrase)
: to add unnecessary ornamentation to something beautiful in its own right

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Zalmoxis' comment about "jive" was gilding the lily of my word-of-the-day submission.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 17 is:

conglobate \kahn-GLOH-bayt or kun-GLOH-bayt\ (verb)
: to form into a round compact mass

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

My yoga teacher's attempts to conglobate me resulted in a lengthly hospital stay, which, ironically, gave me the time I needed to meditate.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 18 is:

yokel \YOH-kul\ (noun)
: a naive or gullible inhabitant of a rural area or small town

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The best way to spot a yokel is to ask him or her to yodel.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

The name is Yokel. Rube Yokel.
Dobie
Member # 1130

quote:
"Dobiesque" still isn't a word?!

quote:
Hi Dobie,

I always take these as a challenge. One of things I've learned by doing this job is that *everything* is a word! And the more something is actually used the more likely it is to be included in a dictionary.

I just learned that "Dobie" is a variation of dobe, a variation of adobe. It's been used since the mid-1800s. So your house may well be Dobiesque. (Though you may well be naming yourself after the TV character.)

FWIW, we do take a lot of -esque, -like words when we're compiling things for OED's database. It's a way of monitoring how prevalent a word is in our vocabulary. Spocklike would certainly communicate to a large group of people.

Bo

We need to start using this word more.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 19 is:

gnomic \NOH-mik\ (adjective)
1 : characterized by aphorism
2 : given to the composition of aphoristic writing

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Gnomic writing is always aphoristic.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Wang-mu lapsed into epigrams even though as a gnomic philospher she was 'supposed' to spit out aphorisms such as: Bob and dobie are a two headed dog barking in unison. But what happens when the dog decides to chase its own tail?

[Guess who just started reading _Children of the Mind_?]

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 20 is:

flippant \FLIH-punt\ (adjective)
: lacking proper respect or seriousness

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Zalmoxis is far too flippant towards Dobie, IMHO.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 21 is:

solstice \SAHL-stiss or SOHL-stiss\ (noun)
: the time of year when the sun is farthest north of the equator or farthest south of the equator

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

We knew it was the solstice, but we didn't know which one.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 22 is:

syncretic \sin-KREH-tik or sing-KREH-tik\ (adjective)
: characterized or brought about by the combination of different forms of belief or practice

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I propose a syncretic faith as the only way to avoid bloodshed. Mainly, everyone will be so absorbed in figuring out what the silly mish-mosh means that they'll have very little time left over for large-scale conflicts.

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.