FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 11)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I throw down the gauntlet of self-deprecation and transcendant humility and only wish to add that

I got the 500th post!
I got the 500th post!
I got the 500th post!
I got the 500th post!
I got the 500th post!
I got the 500th post!
I got the 500th post!
I got the 500th post!
I got the 500th post!
I got the 500th post!

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited January 17, 2002).]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

- posted      Profile for Dobie   Email Dobie         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it was the 500th reply, but who's counting.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 18 is:

constellate \KAHN-stuh-layt\ (verb)
transitive senses
1 : to unite in a cluster
2 : to set or adorn with or as if with constellations
intransitive sense
: cluster

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Dobie's Word of the Day thread has a proven ability to constellate the best minds of Hatrack.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, are you sure you didn't actually throw down the 'Perfum'd glove' of self-deprecation?
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Hmm...

<sniffs fingers>

Nope, no perfume there.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Okay. I just had to be sure. I'd hate for misrepresentation to creep into this thread.

Of course, the larger question is: what exactly does transcendent humility smell like?

My guess would be that it smells somewhat like Shiitaki mushrooms. Or maybe fresh cut hay.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Shiitake, I mean.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Shiitake mushrooms is a close approximation. Some have likened it to the smell of freshly mown hay.

My favorite analogy is as follows:

Burnt chocolate, mixed with locker room, ammonia, and a soucent of Preparation H (non-menthol variety).

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 19 is:

mnemonic \nih-MAH-nik\(adjective)
: assisting or designed to assist memory

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Mnemonic

Memory
Now
Exists
More
Openly,
Nearly
Intact and
Constant

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I like my mnemonics to be pneumatic.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I always get a lift out of your posts, Zal.

waltdisneysfrozenhead
Member # 2717

- posted      Profile for waltdisneysfrozenhead   Email waltdisneysfrozenhead         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, they're just so much hot air.
Posts: 1062 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 20 is:

blithesome \BLYTHE-sum\ (adjective) : gay, merry

aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Only
The
Truly
Forgetful
Fellow
Should
Summon
Each
Number
Thusly

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Aka, a truly blithesome person, has won the Roy G. Biv award for excellence in mnemonics.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 21 is:

aggress \uh-GRESS\ (verb)
: to commit aggression
: to act aggressively

Missippoj
Member # 2542

- posted      Profile for Missippoj   Email Missippoj         Edit/Delete Post 
"It isn't even midnight of the 21st here" I say agressivley...
Posts: 26 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Though wondering if such a process would transgress the bounds of courtesy, the ogress could not help but to aggress upon the final door after the long weary progress towards finding the egress.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

To aggress is to regress, according to the abbess.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Aggress I don't have a good sentence for the word of the day for Jan. 21.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 22 is:

paronomasia \pair-uh-no-MAY-zhee-uh\ or \pair-ah-nuh-MAY-zhee-uh\ (noun)
: a play on words
: pun

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

His paranoia over paronomasia amazed us.

If a pun was said in a forest, and no-one was there to hear it, would it still cause a groan?

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

The trees would moan and the earth would shudder.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 23 is:

modicum \MAH-dih-kum or MOE-dih-kum\ (noun)
: a small portion
: a limited quantity

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Avoiding the obvious joke based on the hack writing found on X-rated story sites, I will simply say that the couple's infertility was due to a modicum of spermatozoa in the man's ejaculate.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Jeez, Bob! Show a modicum of decency. Obviously, the paronomasia item has got you over-excited.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 24 is:

ascetic \uh-SEH-tik\ (adjective)
1 : practicing strict self-denial as a measure of personal and especially spiritual discipline
2 : austere in appearance, manner, or attitude

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I don't mind being ascetic, it's denying other people access to my wit that I find hard to imagine.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 25 is:

corybantic \kor-ee-BAN-tik or kahr-ee-BAN-tik\ (adjective)
: like or in the spirit of a Corybant
: especially, wild, frenzied

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

After 11 pages of posts, this thread has devolved into corybantic banter!

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

<----Wildly jangles tympani and bangs drums to drive away the spirits of madness.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 26 is:

cognizable \KAHG-nuh-zuh-bul or kahg-NYE-zuh-bul\ (adjective)
1 : capable of being known
2 : capable of being judicially heard and determined

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
George Lucas' reasons for filming any footage of N'Sync at all are not cognizable.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Man's history is bound up in the search for a cognizable God.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 27 is:

zenith \ZEE-nuth or ZEH-nuth\ (noun)
1 : the point of the celestial sphere that is directly opposite the nadir and vertically above the observer
2 : the highest point reached in the heavens by a celestial body
3 : culminating point
: acme

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Zenith brand used to be considered the zenith of home electronics. Lately, they are more like the Acme, as in Wiley Coyote's favorite supplier.
Chuckles
Member # 2865

- posted      Profile for Chuckles   Email Chuckles         Edit/Delete Post 
The Writers Workshops are provided so that we can help each other to bring our writing to its zenith.
Posts: 999 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 28 is:

aplomb \uh-PLAHM or uh-PLUM\ (noun) : complete and confident composure or self-assurance
: poise

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The carpenter used his plum-bob with aplomb.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I tried so hard to act so aplomb about it all that I ended up rotten and squishy on the supermarket floor.

NOTE: can be used as an adj. although I'm flouting things a bit by not matching my use of the word to Dobie's posted definition. What say you wordmeister? Allowable?

Dobie
Member # 1130

Did you know that the words "aplomb" and "plumb bob" are related?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

No, I didn't know that!!! Can you provide more details? And thanks for the correct spelling of plumb bob!!!

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Think perpendicular!
Dobie
Member # 1130

According to Merriam-Webster's On-line Dictionary, "aplomb" was derived from the French phrase "a plomb" meaning "according to the plumet". A plumet ia a lead weight that is attached to a line and used to determine vertical alignment, or in other words a "plumb bob".
Eventually the meaning of "a plomb" was extended from the literal "perpendicularity" to refer figuratively to "composure".

It's a lead pipe cinch that these are all ultimately derived from
"plumbum" the Latin word for "lead", so that they are also related to the word "plumbing".

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 29 is:

logy \LOH-ghee\ (adjective)
: marked by sluggishness and lack of vitality
: groggy

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
logy: Xavier's permanent state.

Xavier is fealing logy today.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I was so logy today that Xavier beat me to the Word of the Day post.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I was so logy today....oh wait, Bob already did that one.

So. Here's something interesting that just happens to fit in to today's word of the day.

I am currently working on a logy logarithm for artificial intelligences. This will allow them to 'slack off.' I think it's important that we build robots who know how to slack off so that they don't burn out or fall into an existential crisis. The logy logarithm is the solution to the AI depression problem.

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.