FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New members post here! (Page 13)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: New members post here!
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Little_Doctor and chrysophylax.

[Wave]

[ June 22, 2004, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Tammy ]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome ! [Wave]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks. I be a newbie to this form, but not to net forums in general. I've read all of the Ender books (in order) and all of the Alvin Maker books. OSC is definately one of my favorite writers. I can't remember how long ago I read Enders Game... 7th grade maybe? 5 or 6 years ago? I'll be 18 in a month give or take (take I think) and I live in Indiana, RL friends of Raia, Blackwolve, Fugu13(I think thats the one I know)... probably others who's SN's I know not. Big Tolkien fan as well, implementer/owner of Middle Earth Mud... hmm.. all I can think of to say. Hi [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi and welcome. [Wave]

[ June 26, 2004, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: alath ]

Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 6646

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, just found your little community here and thought I might want to chime in every now and then.

[Hat]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Alcon, I am pretty sure you know me, we were in speech and orchestra together.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Alcon, you dork! You didn't tell me you joined!! [Wave]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I didn't think it was that big a deal...
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, it isn't really, I was just giving you a hard time! Welcome!!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all -
not sure if you're still reading the newbie thread 13 pages later, but here I am... [Wink]

I've been an OSC fan for years and years. First read Ender's game about 20 years ago (give or take a few) and I've been hooked ever since. I regularly loan out Pastwatch, Ender's Game, Songmaster and few other favorites to those who've never had the OSC experience. They always come back hooked. But we knew that, right?

anyhow - I promise to lurk more and post less until y'all find out what I'm *really* like.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Welcome to Hatrack, Gryphonesse! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy [Hat]
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Freak83
Member # 6663

- posted      Profile for Freak83   Email Freak83         Edit/Delete Post 
Known as Freak83 on the internet, an avid fan of the series, particularily Bean's sega (saga? Can never remember which). I found this website in the back of Shadow Puppets which I just learnt a couple of weeks ago existed. Ahh I was so happy to discover that the series didn't end with Shadow of the Hegemon. Just upset that I've finished Shadow Puppets now [Frown] . Any sequal to Shadow Puppets I should know of? I'm a senior high school student, work in a family restaurant as my current part time job, and aside from spending time with my friends, I enjoy Flash Flash Revolution, devoloping RPG Maker games, and Natural-Selection. Hopefully I'll stick around here!

*EDIT* Aww, if I had just joined three members later I could be member 6666 [Big Grin]

- Jonathan

[ July 03, 2004, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Freak83 ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Becoming member 6666 was carefully planned. There is no way you could have won.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
4|| '/0u|2 8a53 4|23 8310|\|9 +0 u5!
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
isoman2kx
Member # 6673

- posted      Profile for isoman2kx   Email isoman2kx         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys.

17 year old student here, will be going into senior year of high school this August.

Big Card Fan (Mainly due to the Ender Series as well as the Shadow Series that I am reading after I finished Ender Series).

Currently reading..... Bel Canto...... then Life of Pi....... then going to finish up the summer reading with shadow of the hegemon and shadow puppets.

Seems like a nice community ya guys have here. Always looking for clarification on something in Card's writing, good to know that I can search the threads for the answers or make a thread of my own on the topic.

Peace. [Smile]

-Travis (isoman2kx)

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Gryphonesse -- You mean when you loan out your Orson Scott Card books, you actually get them back??? Wow! I've never had anyone give one back from a loan! I always have to go buy a new copy [Big Grin]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteDuckTape
Member # 6678

- posted      Profile for WhiteDuckTape   Email WhiteDuckTape         Edit/Delete Post 
New here, course not new to OSC. I first read Ender's Game for an assignment my junior year of high school. I liked the book so much I read it twice before the test and wrote about my English class visiting Ender in Battle School for an assignment at the end of that year. My teacher liked it. *grins sheepishly*

I'm born and raised in SugarLand Texas (near Houston). But I plan on doing some traveling soon.

I've become a writer, not really what I had it mind, but because of my sister, who killed herself driving home drunk the morning before Super Bowl Sunday came to Houston. (talk about irony at it's finest) She was pronounced dead at 4:20 PM the same day not even 12 hours after she hit the tree. Brain damage. And my last words to her? "I guess not." Without so much as a glance as she closed my bedroom door and walked out of my life forever.

I could go on forever. All I gotta say is, OSC is an awesome writer, and I respect him greatly for his work. I've read all of the Ender's series, including the Bean side, Lost Boys I read recently, and Worthing Saga I also enjoyed.

Rissa

Silence is silver.
Thought is gold.
Actions are diamonds.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
hey FG -

I usually have to take them back myself at a "suprise" visit... Not that I haven't had to buy at least three or four copies of everything over the last 10 years...

[ROFL]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone [Wave] - I'm a long time OSC fan- I have to say that Card is my favorite author- few other writers can make the reader connect with the characters the way that Card can. I've read almost everything he has written (except some of the newest releases- but I will remedy that soon enough!!) Fave book is probably Ender's Game- but there are SEVERAL that I have read more than a few times!! (The entire Alvin Maker series, Enchantment)
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings to you all. I'm nearly 24 years old, and I live in Alaska. I first learned of OSC in high school, when my mother, knowing of my aspirations at writing, bought me a book called How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy. I had never heard of its author, Orson Scott Card, before, but after reading the book I could tell he really knew what he was talking about. So I went ahead and read a few of his novels (starting, perhaps inevitably, with Ender's Game and its 'sequels', as well as Pastwatch). After that, I moved on to other things, but I got back into OSC a couple of years ago and have been a fan ever since. You can guess that I particularly loved the Tales of Alvin Maker (though I haven't read Crystal City yet, since I'm waiting for the paperback version, so no spoilers please!), but I was also particularly touched by The Worthing Saga and Enchantment.

I found this website a long time ago and check back often to read his articles. I've sort of lurked in the forum a little bit, and decided to finally post here because this seems like a genuinely friendly place, especially when compared to a few forums that I've found and decided not to register for. . . .

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've been a closet Hatrack member for years -- in fact, I was probably registered on the board while I was in high school ages ago. I've been an OSC fan since my mother gave me Ender's Game in my early teens, and I consider myself an active missionary for the cause. I find myself buying three or four copies of Ender's Game in a year, lending them out, and never seeing many of them again, which doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, my one claim to fame on the board is that I introduced Narnia to OSC several years ago (since then she is always the first to read anything new he writes, and she has read several of his that I still have not).

So ... I'm a Provoite, just graduated from BYU this past April in Music, and I'm now putting my music degree to good use working in the Quality Control department of a distribution warehouse in Lindon. [Smile] Anything else? Let's see ... I can play the William Tell Overture on my face. How's that?

Good to be here. (And about dang time!)

JG

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*bakes cookies*

[ July 16, 2004, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: fallow ]

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

say...

you kids have any money?

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helene
Member # 6710

- posted      Profile for helene   Email helene         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I whish I had time to read all 13 pages but that's definetly too much in a row...

Well, I'm 23, french and friendly, going back to my studies to be a librarian and tell every body to read some OSC [Razz]

Can't think of anything else right now but I'll be back [Smile]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kazwailah
Member # 6711

- posted      Profile for kazwailah   Email kazwailah         Edit/Delete Post 
I just registered today, and thought I'd make my presence known. I'm 24 years old and a student at Weber State University in Ogden UT. Ogden is not much of a place to visit, but I LOVE living here. I also Love Orson Scott Card's work and I've read almost every book that he's written, now I'm down to tracking down the ones that I haven't read. Some of my other interests are music, hockey and longboarding.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, you guys! [Wave]

Gosh, I look back on my first post here, and I realize how young and wet behind the ears I was then.

I've grown so much in the last year.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cowboy Poet
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Cowboy Poet   Email Cowboy Poet         Edit/Delete Post 
D'oh! I didn't see this Topic and already posted something else. Please forgive my protocol flub. Well, as the name may indicate, I am from Texas. I'm 29, and an aspiring writer. Actually, I have only read Enchantmen, Ender's Game, and the How to Write SciFi/Fantasy. . .But I have Speaker and Xenocide ready to be read once my wife is done with them(she likes them alot) [Smile]
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitehorse
Member # 6718

- posted      Profile for Whitehorse   Email Whitehorse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone!
I'm excited to have found this place! I read about the forum in one of the Alvin Maker books. I've read them through Alvin Journeyman. I'll come back to the series in a little while. Pleasure postponed is pleasure increased, right?

My first exposure to OSC's work was Speaker For The Dead. I enjoyed it, and went back to find Ender's Game. I'm reading through Maps in a Mirror now, along with some other summer reading.

Pastwatch: The Redemption of Columbus was an excellent read. I'd like to read more like that.

My name will be Whitehorse on the forum, but really I'm called Matt. I'm 43, married and living in Canton, Ohio. My wife and I work together as independant contractors selling books to teachers. I've been at it for over 15 years, and it's been a great experience.

Books have been my first love since childhood. I've always liked frontier fiction, ever since my dad bought "Cowboy Andy" for me when I was four. Louis Lamour was very influential for me as I went through my 20's, collecting them second hand at flea markets and used books shops. I have a complete collection. The Sackett novels are great fun to read, if you like heroic stuff, ala Joseph Campbell.

One question that I have for anyone who might know is the location of the fictional town of Hatrack River. It's obviously somewhere near Canton in NE Ohio, but the map doesn't give enough detail for me to be sure exactly where.

I would guess that the Hatrack River is either the Tuscarawas or the Muskingum. The Tusc is a tributary of the Muskingum, which flows into the Ohio at Marietta. I imagine that to be the river Horace Guester and co. travelled on when they were rescuing Arthur Stuart.

Newark, OH is where the Octogan Mound is located, which was refrenced in Red Prophet as the Great Eight Faced Mound. It's worth a visit to Newark if you're ever in the area. The Octogan Mound in now a golf course, which is a shame.

The nearby Great Circle Mound is a much more pleasant place to visit. Here's a website for you to look at, if you're interested: Ohio Historical Society

Hope you have a pleasant day. I'll be riding into Hatrack River soon.
Whitehorse

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitehorse
Member # 6718

- posted      Profile for Whitehorse   Email Whitehorse         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the library and picked up a heardback copy of Heartfire. The maps inside are a lot clearer than the ones in my paperbacks. I found a really cool book called Maping Ohio that showed a picture of a map from 1778 that shows the rivers very clearly, and it was obvious.

I found the answer to my own question. The town of Hatrack River corresponds to Warren, Ohio. The river is the Mahoning River.

Whitehorse

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Cowboy Poet, you will soon find that we're not real sticklers for protocol around here. [Smile] Anyway, welcome to the 'Rack.

Welcome to Hatrack, Whitehorse! [Smile]

quote:
My wife and I work together as independent contractors selling books to teachers.
What kinds of books? Textbooks? Supplemental stuff?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cowboy Poet
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Cowboy Poet   Email Cowboy Poet         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I am a moderator on another site and we're pretty stringent on protocol, but it is a writers group and we do get a ton of spam. I'm glad I found this place as I said in my first post. I need a balance and this appears to atract all kinds of folks. Alot of Mormons. hehe.. . . My pops is LDS and trys to convert my wife and I all the time. Seeing as how my father in law is an Anglican minister, probably not gonna happen, but all the people I have met through his church and especially when he had a bad accident a year ago, all the people who came to the hospital really made me admire the bond the LDS faith gives them. I have a lot of respect for it, though I am at peace with my Luthern faith. . . heh. . I'm kinda stuck in the middle. . .
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

that's a mighty fine handle you got there Cowpoke. have you met Whitehorse?

giddy-up!

fallow

Mothman
Member # 6727

- posted      Profile for Mothman           Edit/Delete Post 
new here... read all of the Ender's Game series, and all but Shadow Puppets of the Bean series... I just read some of Card's editorials and couldn't agree more with them.

I have enjoyed every book i read, and liked how every single one of them had a very good and very different dilemma, each book had it's own identity.

[ July 23, 2004, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: Mothman ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

mothman! welcome!!!

may I call you "moth"? "mothra", perhaps?

you've come to the right place!

*cups newbie in claws and whispers* "Do you happen to know any eagles? of a rather large and impressively grandeurous sort, winging and reeling their way about, up in the northern skies?"

fallow

Whitehorse
Member # 6718

quote:
Cowpoke, have you met Whitehorse? Giddayup!
Whoa, now, slow down a bit there, pard! That Cowboy Poet fellow can ride along beside me and recite some verse, but let's not get carried away!
fallow
Member # 6268

hey now!
fallow
Member # 6268

*stops near ripped-nostril-o-steeed*

whitehorse,

did you know?

fallow

Cowboy Poet
Member # 6724

Well, thank you folks. I'm much obliged fer yer warm hospitality. I am out th break the myth that rednecks are all crude, obnoxious barbarians who cannot fathom anything intellectual in nature. And become a writer and not write about cowboys. I actuall have a bunch of cows and do live out in the country. . .
Whitehorse
Member # 6718

Good morning. Just a quick reply to Rivka's inquiry:

I work as a slaes rep for a company called Books Are Fun. We do what's called display marketing, where I set up a display of books and gifts in the teacher's lounge and then return in a week or so and fill the orders. The merchandise is generaly geared toward personal purchases instead of cirriculum.

For example, we seel general interest books like Off The Beaten Path, a collection of day trips in Ohio. In addition to that we sell lots of kid's story books like Rainbow Fish and Love You Forever. Cookbooks are a regular category, too. Photo Albums and picture frames sell well, as does stationary.

I've been at it for over 15 years. We have a territory and serve over 470 schools in 5 counties in Ohio.
Thanks for asking.

Whitehorse
Member # 6718

quote:
Stops, near ripped nostril O' steed.

Fallow

Nice horsey! Settle down, now, boy! [Laugh]
Whitehorse
Member # 6718

Posted the first chapter of my story under a new subject in the Riverfront Forum. We'll be riding into Hatrack river in a day or, two, once we get the varmits off our tails.

See you there!I'll be ready for a beer, and my friends and will be hungry and tired, so I'm looking forward to your company. [Wave]

Whitehorse

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Welcome Whitehorse!

I love Books Are Fun! They come to my company (a bank) twice a year and set up in our cafeteria for two days. Used to also come to the school when I worked as a teacher's aide. I always go way over budget after seeing all their neat stuff -- buy Christmas gifts and stuff for my kids and nephews.

(Haven't ever seen them offer OSC books though!)

All of you newbies -- but sure to check out the other side of the forum : Books, Food, Film and American Culture because that is where we do most of our general chit-chat. Over here we focus on OSC books and literature, but over there we discuss everything -- even the "taboo" topics of religion, sex and politics!

Have fun!

(Kansas) Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Is it true that OSC and Kacard did it in a bookmobile?

fallow

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You aren't a newbie only if you were on hatrack back in the old AOL days. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Jaime -- some of those people may not have had "300 posts" at the time we called them a newbie. Each time you add to your post count, it updates the count at the bottom of every thread you have posted on. So the very first post I posted (post 1) probably now, at the bottom, says 2837 posts, even though it was my first post.

Farmgirl

[ July 27, 2004, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Sephiroth the Enigma
Member # 6735

- posted      Profile for Sephiroth the Enigma   Email Sephiroth the Enigma         Edit/Delete Post 
I am teh uber noob of doom. I am happy to visit such a grandeur of places. ::bows heartily:: Now where is my booty?
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
What do you mean by the old AOL days?
I think MPH is just pulling your chain there, Jaime (but I could be wrong)...

Welcome to uber noob of doom [Roll Eyes]

Farmgirl

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Farmgirl!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, there were indeed AOL days. Back then, I was aware of Hatrack's existence, but as a non-AOL-user, that was about it.
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.