FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 17)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, according to the Catholic Church, Easter is THE critical mass.

And look! I got the first post on THIS page too!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited April 08, 2002).]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 

The Word of the Day for April 9 is:

confection • \kun-FEK-shun\ • (noun)
*1 : a sweet food or fancy dish prepared from a variety of ingredients; also : candy
2 : a piece of fine craftsmanship

[This message has been edited by Jeni (edited April 09, 2002).]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The "Word of the Day" thread is confection for Hatrack.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darling
Member # 2970

- posted      Profile for Darling           Edit/Delete Post 
Amen, Bob! I love this thread!

Side note: We have already passed Easter. And, to use the Word of the Day, I still have some confections left, although no chocolate...pooh!

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

The Word of the Day for April 10 is:

triskaidekaphobia • \triss-kye-deh-kuh-FOH-bee-uh\ • (noun)
: fear of the number 13

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Triskaidekaphobia is the reason many high rise buildings do not officially have a 13th floor.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
The next month when there is a Friday the 13th is September, so triskaidekaphobes can rest easy until then.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I show no sign of triskaidekaphobia, as a matter of fact I have exactly the oposite, 13 is my lucky number.

[This message has been edited by Zevlag (edited April 10, 2002).]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darling
Member # 2970

- posted      Profile for Darling           Edit/Delete Post 
Triskaidekaphobia is an incredibly cool word to say.

[This message has been edited by Darling (edited April 10, 2002).]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word of the day for 4/18/2002 is:

exhilarate • \ig-ZIH-luh-rayt\ • (verb)
1 a : to make cheerful b : enliven, excite
*2 : refresh, stimulate

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
(I like the word "insouciant.")

A colloquialism:

banzored (n.) - 1) banned.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing that it has somehow become April 18 exhilarated my heart rate.

And it saddens me that Dobie seems to be banzored.

[This message has been edited by Diosmel Duda (edited April 11, 2002).]

Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

It is rather exhilarating to find out that it is 4/18/2002. Especially since I have some major projects due by today.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for April 12, 2002 is:

palatable • \PAL-uh-tuh-bul\ • (adjective)
*1 : agreeable to the palate or taste : savory
2 : pleasing or agreeable to the mind : acceptable

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is the most palatable online community I have ever come across.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for April 13, 2002 is:

haplology • \hap-LAH-luh-jee\ • (noun)
: contraction of a word by omission of one or more similar sounds or syllables

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
The race of the Hobbits originated when their first ancestors enlisted the aid of a gynecologist instead of a gynecologyologist, and the medicine he gave them caused them to have haploid children, which is why the race of Hobbits thereafter were called "Halflings." (And you thought it referred to their height!)

Oh, I'm supposed to use the word. OK, shortening "gynecologyologist" to "gynecologist" is an example of haplology, though also, arguably, the scientific explanation for the origin of Hobbits should also be allowed as an alternate definition.

Hee.
(Short for hee-hee. That's also an example.)

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for Sunday April 14, 2002 is:

quiescent • \kwye-EH-sunt or kwee-EH-sunt\ • (adjective)
*1 : marked by inactivity or repose : tranquilly at rest
2 : causing no trouble or symptoms

Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
This board is usually quiescent on Sunday? eh
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for Monday April 15, 2002 is:

ecdemic (ek-DEM-ik) adjective

Of foreign origin; introduced from outside; pertaining to a disease
that's observed far from the area it originates in.

[From Latin ec-, variant of ex- (out of) + Greek -demic (on the pattern of
epidemic), from demos (people).]

celia60
Member # 2039

Had they caught the breast cancer sooner, it wouldn't have lead to the ecdemic tumors in her lungs.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

"Once the Earthians achieve star travel, the human plague will be ecdemic. The time to act is now!" – Message intercepted by SETI. Officially dismissed as random static. A few experts point out that it was in English, so must have been intended for our reception, which indicates this is the work of interstellar pranksters just trying to get a rise out of us.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word of the day for 4/16/2002 is:

anopsia (an-OP-see-uh) noun, also anopsy or anopia

Absence of sight, due to a missing eye or other structural problem.

[From Greek an- (not) + -opia (pertaining to sight).]

Fael
Member # 3015

- posted      Profile for Fael   Email Fael         Edit/Delete Post 
As the sound decreased and the shaking quit, I realized I was quite effectively sealed in under tons of earth. Deep in the underground with no way out. No light penetrated the tunnel and I felt as one with anopsia. I turned from the heap and blindly followed the tunnel hoping for some source of light to convince me this was only temporay.
Posts: 765 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word of the day for 4/17/2002 is:

deflagrate (DEF-luh-grayt) verb tr. and intr.

To burn or cause to burn something rapidly and violently.

[From Latin deflagratus, past participle of deflagrare (to burn down),
from de- (intensive prefix) + flagrare (to blaze).]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for 4/18/2002 is:

insomnolent (in-SOM-nuh-lunt) adjective

Sleepless.

noun

One afflicted with insomnia.

[From Latin in- (not) + Middle English sompnolent, from Old French, from
Latin somnolentus, from somnus (sleep).]

Jeni
Member # 1454

I am an insomnolent.
Fael
Member # 3015

I loved the movie Insomnolent in Seattle!
Posts: 765 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for 4/19/2002 is:

fastuous (fas-CHOO-uhs) adjective

1. Haughty; arrogant.

2. Pretentious.

[From Latin fastuosus, from fastus (arrogance).]

celia60
Member # 2039

I'd come across as fastuous if I used a word like that in my every day vernacular.
Fael
Member # 3015

Facetious people do not live fastuous lives.
Unseen
Member # 3227

- posted      Profile for Unseen   Email Unseen         Edit/Delete Post 
Would I be correct in thinking that memes are percieved as fastuous?
Posts: 237 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unseen
Member # 3227

- posted      Profile for Unseen   Email Unseen         Edit/Delete Post 
The word of the day for 4-20-02 is:

Perfidy (PUR-fi-dee) noun
1. Deliberate breach of faith; calculated violition of trust; treachery
2. The act or instance of treachery
(From the Latin perfidia for treacherous)

Posts: 237 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

It used to be considered the highest act of perfidy to usurp the role of posting the next word of the day. Now that Dobie is gone, however, it's just a huge help!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word of the day for 4/22/2002 is:

roman a clef (ro-mahn uh KLAY) noun

A novel that depicts historical figures and events under the guise
of fiction.

[From French, literally, a novel with a key.]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for April 23 is:

orihon (OR-ee-hon) noun

A book or manuscript folded like an accordion: a roll of paper inscribed
on one side only, folded backwards and forwards.

[From Japanese, ori (fold), + hon (book).]

Here's a picture of an orihon: http://www2.odn.ne.jp/reliure/imgs3/k_orihon.jpg

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited April 23, 2002).]

Doug J
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Doug J   Email Doug J         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple goes to the resturant. The wife turns to the husband and asks "Orihon the list or not?
Posts: 7083 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word of the day for April 24, 2002 is:

amphigory (AM-fi-gor-ee) noun, also amphigouri

A nonsensical piece of writing, usually in verse form, typically composed
as a parody.

[From French amphigouri.]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it's the story of an amphigory
That was more gory than amphi.
About a man cooking meth in his home
....something something...yah he was stoned.

...and so on, I don't have the energy for meter at the moment.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for April 25th, 2002 is:

conspectus (kuhn-SPEK-tuhs) noun

A general survey, synopsis, outline, or digest of something.

[From Latin conspectus, past participle of conspicere, from con- (complete)
+ spicere (to look).]

Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
Surveys: first they inspect us; then the conspectus.
Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Look, I don't care if you can distill Kant's works into three pithy paragraphs," said the warden, expectorating on to and across my conspectus.

"Your categorical imperative won't get you far when the prisoners begin to riot. You better learn the architectonics of creating sublime cusine out of government cheese and stale bread or we're going to have a serious critique on our hands."

*Sigh*

How did I get myself into yet another recreation of the Stanford Prison Experiment?

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

That's to make up for yesterday's pathetic attempt.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word of the day for April 26th is:

magnum opus (MAG-num OH-puhs) noun

A great work of literature, music, art, etc., especially the finest
work of an individual.

[From Latin magnum opus, from magnum, neuter of magnus (large), opus (work).]

Doug J
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Doug J   Email Doug J         Edit/Delete Post 
"Bespectacled, bearded and balding, Mr. Chkhartishvili is faintly ill at ease about fame. For years, he earned his living translating Japanese literature and working on what he still considers his magnum opus, a gloomy book entitled `The Writer and Suicide.' His idea of a good time is to stroll around a cemetery."
Guy Chazan, Roll Over, Dostoyevsky: Serious Russian Writers Reinvent the Thriller, The Wall Street Journal, Feb 25, 2002.

Posts: 7083 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for April 27 is:

namby-pamby • \nam-bee-PAM-bee\ • (adjective)
1 : lacking in character or substance : insipid
*2 : weak, indecisive

GhostofBob_Scopatz
Member # 3394

- posted      Profile for GhostofBob_Scopatz   Email GhostofBob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The Word of the Day for April 28 is:

kakistocracy • \kak-uh-STAH-kruh-see\ • (noun)
: government by the worst people

Posts: 19 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word of the day for April 29, 2002 is:

chutzpah (KHOOT-spuh, HOOT-) noun, also chutzpa

Shameless impudence, brazen nerve, gall, effrontery.

[From Yiddish khutspe, from Late Hebrew huspa.]

celia60
Member # 2039

She's got a lot of chutzpah, showing up at my wedding in a white dress.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for April 30, 2002 is:

mensch (mench, mensh) noun, plural menschen (MEN-chuhn, MEN-shuhn) or mensches

A decent, upright, honorable person.

[From Yiddish mentsh (man, human being), from Middle High German mensch,
from Old High German mennisco.]

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.