FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 19)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The word for the day for May 20, 2002 is:

eagre (EE-guhr) noun

A high tidal wave rushing upstream into an estuary.
Also known as tidal bore.

[Of obscure origin.]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
The eagre caught him just as he reached the mouth of the narrow estuary on his way back up the river. The water boiled around his kayak, lifted it up and thrust him up the channel. He rode it like a champion until the wave lurched slightly, catching his paddle in the water and spinning him down into the crushing flood.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
He camped beside the estuary, because he was eager to see an eagre.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The word for the day for May 21, 2002 is:

imprest (IM-prest) noun

An advance of money, especially one made to carry out some business for
a government.

Also, archaic past tense and past participle of impress.

[From obsolete imprest (to lend), from Italian imprestare.]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

So the imprest issued to me was a few ounces of uranium (and since when has the disbursement office been authorized to deal in uranium?), who was I to question form of payment? All I knew was that I needed to catch a redeye flight to Honolulu and meet up with one of Kashoggi's boys ( who would be posing as an attache from Saudi Arabia).
I figured the Feds were probably planning on picking him up after the exchange---but that was just a guess. They never tell me the whole plan. I don't even know for sure what I'm supposed to be getting in return. Probably information---a list of operatives, the numbers and locations of offshore accounts. Whatever.

One of these days it's going to be a briefcase (or more likely a duffel bag---briefcases are way too cliched these days) full of cash. Clean cash. And one of these days I might just walk away with it.

After all, that's why I'm hired to do these jobs in the first place---because I'm untraceable.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 22, 2002 is:

endue (en-DOO, -DYOO) verb tr., also indue

1. To invest, bestow, or endow with a gift, quality, trait, or power.

2. To put on (an item of clothing).

[From Middle English enduen (to draw on), from Old French enduire
(to lead in), from Latin inducere (to put on).]

aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
The manly men endued the tight tights.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

*applauds aratee's use of the word in a sentence that employs both definitions*

The only problem with Bob being endued with the power to post the word of the day is that now he doesn't delight us with his lovely sentences using the word in context.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Bob has taken on the mantle of the "Word of the Day" as another might endue the robes of office, reluctantly but with pride and awe of those who have gone before.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 23, 2002 is:

biennial (bi-EN-ee-uhl) adjective

1. Happening every two years.

2. Lasting two years.

3. Taking two years to complete its life cycle.

noun

1. An event occurring once in two years.

2. A plant that takes two years to complete its life cycle, such as beet
and carrot.

[From biennium (a two-year period), from Latin bi- (two) + annus (year).]

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having one of those biennial birthdays next month which is odd.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 24, 2002 is:

quacksalver (KWAK-sal-vuhr) noun

A quack.

[From obsolete Dutch (now kwakzalver), from quack (boast) + salve (ointment).]

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Go quacksalver.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I was seriously salivating, I mean a mouthful of saliva here, with culinary anticipation over the herb-encrusted duck that was supposed to be soon coming my way. This was no mallard of the Peking variety, but one doused with green tea, jasmine water, honey produced by bees who live on an island just off the Taishan coast and coated with all matter of mysterious weeds and fungi. And the fungi is what was making me salivate most. Of course, there had been another reason for me to be sitting in an herbalist’s shop just off of Harrison in Oakland’s Chinatown (I won’t say exactly where), but at the time I was not going to let thoughts about my prostate diminish my appetite.

The duck was numbingly good. But the guy who sold it to me (and who hasn’t cashed out a 401(k) so they could eat game-fowl?) was a quacksalver of the upmost variety. A real gem of witch doctor.

So here I sit on the N-Judah, on my way to UCSF, wondering if relations with my wife is going to become a biennial affair, hoping that the chemical cocktail that’s about to be pumped into my veins doesn’t marinate me up real good for the grim fellow with his dulled, rusty scythe.

It was really tasty duck, though. An epicurean delight.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 25, 2002 is:

minatory • \MIH-nuh-tor-ee or MYE-nuh-tor-ee\ • (adjective)
: having a menacing quality : threatening

Did you know?
Knowing that "minatory" means "threatening," can you take a guess at a related word? If you're familiar with mythology, perhaps you guessed "Minotaur," the name of the bull-headed, people-eating monster of Crete. "Minotaur" is a good guess, but as terrifying as the monster sounds, its name isn't related to today's word. The relative we're searching for is actually "menace." "Minatory" and "menace" both come from derivatives of the Latin verb "minari," which means "to threaten." "Minatory" was borrowed directly from the Latin "minatorius." "Menace" was borrowed from the Middle French "manace, menace," which came from "minac-, minax," meaning "threatening."

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

His predatory behaviour
Your minatory saviour
I like my vengeance
poured out in another flavor.

Her soft elliptic pretense
Your hard ecliptic defense
It loses savor
salted with cursory suspence.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for May 26 is:

homogeneous • \hoh-muh-JEE-nee-uss\ • (adjective)
1 : of the same or a similar kind or nature
*2 : of uniform structure or composition throughout

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 27, 2002 is:

alembic (uh-LEM-bik) noun

1. An apparatus formerly used in distilling substances.

2. Something that refines, purifies, or transforms.

[From Middle English alambic, from Old French, from Medieval Latin
alembicus, from Arabic al-anbiq, from al (the) + anbiq (still), from
Greek ambix (cup).]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for May 28 is:

debonair • \deh-buh-NAIR\ • (adjective)
*1 : suave, urbane
2 : lighthearted, nonchalant

Fael
Member # 3015

- posted      Profile for Fael   Email Fael         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he was so sauve and debonair until he got up to dance.
Posts: 765 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 29, 2002 is:

jihad (ji-HAHD) noun

1. A holy war by Muslims against those believed hostile to Islam.

2. Any hostile campaign for an idea or belief.

[From Arabic jihad (struggle).]

Another word that shares the same root as today's word is mujahedin
(guerrilla fighter).

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 30, 2002 is:

houri (HOOR-ee) noun

1. One of the beautiful virgins provided for faithful Muslims in the
Koranic paradise.

2. A voluptuously attractive young woman.

[From French, from Persian huri, from Arabic huri, plural of haura
(dark-eyed woman).]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 31, 2002 is:

talisman (TAL-is-man, -iz-) noun

1. An object, such as a stone, believed to have occult powers to
keep evil away and bring good fortune to its wearer.

2. Anything that has magical powers and brings miraculous effects.

[From French or Spanish, from Arabic tilasm, from Greek telesma
(consecration) from telein (to consecrate or complete) from telos, result.]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for June 1, 2002 is:

phantasm • \FAN-taz-um\ • (noun)
*1 : a product of fantasy: as a : delusive appearance : illusion b : ghost, specter c : a figment of the imagination
2 : a mental representation of a real object

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Bob. Are you feeling neglected?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 2 is:

rectitude • \REK-tuh-tood ("oo" as in "food")\ • (noun)
1 : the quality or state of being straight
*2 : moral integrity : righteousness
3 : the quality or state of being correct in judgment or procedure

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word of the day for June 3, 2002 is:

niddering (NID-uhr-ing) noun (note: also using as an adjective)

A coward or wretch.

[From erroneous reading of Middle English nithing, from Old English nithing.
This form of the word originated in the 1596 text of historian William of
Malmesbury.]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word of the day for June 4, 2002 is:

contemn • \kun-TEM\ • (verb)
: to view or treat with contempt : scorn

Did you know?
"Contemn" is derived from the Latin verb "contemnere," a word formed by combining "con-" and "temnere" ("to despise"). Surprisingly, our verb may have come within a hairsbreadth of being spelled "contempn." The Middle French word "contempner" arrived in Middle English as "contempnen," but that extra "p" disappeared, leaving us with "contemn." You may be wondering about the connection between "contemn" and "contempt," and, not surprisingly, they are related. "Contempt" comes from the Latin "contemptus," which comes from "contemnere." "Contemn" first turned up in print in the 15th century; "contempt" dates from the 14th century.

From Merriam-Webster's® online Word of the Day WOTD

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I contemn you to a lifetime of suffering and pain just doesn't have the same ring to it. I think it's because the 't' sound is unvoiced; whereas, with the 'd' sound you can really but some oomph behind it.

Try it:

I contemn you!

I condemn you!

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the voiceless "t" actually...voiced consonants are just too soft-sounding to really be insulting. And "d" just doesn't get the spit flying the way "t" does.

I contemn those voiced consonants! Unless they're fricatives, cuz "v" is just too fun to say!

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

quote:
voiced consonants are just too soft-sounding to really be insulting.

Not if you can put some serious bass behind it. You can roll that 'd' down an octave as you slide over to the nasal sound at the end.

I do agree with you, however, that, on the whole, voicless consonants are much more insulting.

And fricatives *are* fun. Why aren't there more words that start with 'v'?

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 5 is:

argot • \AHR-gut or AHR-goh\ • (noun)
: an often more or less secret vocabulary and idiom peculiar to a particular group

Did you know?
We borrowed "argot" from French in the mid-1800s, although our language already had several words covering its meaning. There was "jargon," which harks back to Middle French by way of Middle English (where it meant "twittering of birds"); it had been used for specialized (and often obscure or pretentious) vocabulary since the 1600s. There was also "lingo," which had been around for almost a hundred years, and which is connected to the Latin word "lingua" ("language"). English novelist and lawyer Henry Fielding used it of "court gibberish"—what we tend to call "legalese." In fact, the suffixal ending "-ese" is our newest means of indicating arcane vocabulary. One of its very first applications at the turn of the 20th century was for "American 'golfese.'"

From Merriam-Webster's® online Word of the Day

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

A Francophile mayor in a small town in Winnipeg tried to put an embargo on the argot from Fargo, but then dropped the idea, claiming that at the time he'd been "feeling sluggish from eating so much escargot."
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 6 is:

feckless • \FEK-luss\ • (adjective)
1 : weak, ineffective
*2 : worthless, irresponsible

Did you know?
Here is a fascinating word fact for you: someone "feckless" is lacking in "feck." Now then, you may ask, what the heck is "feck"? In fact, "feck" means "value" ("No feck would come from it") or "quantity" ("A whole feck of them came"). This alteration of the Middle English "effect" originated (and most often occurs) in Scots, and its original meaning was essentially "a majority." So something without "feck" is without value or effect—that is, "useless," or, alternatively, "irresponsible." In the past, "feckful" (meaning "efficient," "sturdy," or "powerful") made an occasional appearance. But in this case, the weak has outlived the strong: "feckless" is a commonly used English word, but "feckful" has fallen out of use.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 7 is:

greasy spoon • \GREE-see-SPOON\ • (noun)
: a dingy small cheap restaurant

Did you know?
"Greasy spoon" was first cooked up in the 1920s. In the early decades of its use, the words in the surrounding context were usually along the lines of "lousy," "wind up eating in," "slinging hash," "the underside of society," "settle for," or "rather starve." And while things haven't changed entirely, a recent wave of nostalgia has elevated the status of greasy spoons. Since the 1970s, the descriptions might contain words like "fabled," "distinction," "beloved," "classic," "an institution," "fondness for," and "comfort food." Now you can consult a "Greasy Spoon Guide" and read up on "Best Greasy Spoons," or lunch at a diner "restored to look like a greasy spoon." Some of these eateries are now even named "The Greasy Spoon."

From Merriam-Webster's® online Word of the Day Webster's

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 8 is:

foible • \FOY-bul\ • (noun)
1 : the part of a sword or foil blade between the middle and point
*2 : a minor flaw or shortcoming in character or behavior : weakness

Did you know?
The weakest part of a sword blade is the portion between the middle and the pointed tip. Back in the mid-1600s, English speakers borrowed the French word "foible" to refer to that most easily broken part of the sword or foil. Despite the superficial resemblance, "foible" does not come from "foil." The French "foible" was an adjective meaning "weak." (That French word, which is now obsolete, is derived from the same Old French term, "feble," that gives us "feeble.") The English "foible" soon came to be applied not only to weaknesses in blades, but also to minor failings in character. It appeared in print with that use in 1673, and now the "character flaw" sense is considerably more popular than the original sword application.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

shunpike • \SHUN-pyke\ • (noun)
: a side road used to avoid the toll on or the speed and traffic of a superhighway

Did you know?
America's love affair with the automobile and the development of a national system of superhighways (along with the occasional desire to seek out paths less-traveled) is a story belonging to the 20th century. So the word "shunpike," too, must be a 20th-century phenomenon, right? Nope. Toll roads have actually existed for centuries (the word "turnpike" has meant "tollgate" since at least 1533). In fact, toll roads were quite common in 19th-century America, and "shunpike" has been describing side roads since the middle of that century, almost half a century before the first Model T rolled out of the factory.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

visage • \VIH-zij\ • (noun)
*1 : the face, countenance, or appearance of a person or sometimes an animal
2 : aspect, appearance

Did you know?
Writers occasionally come face-to-face with the fact that "face" is a pretty generic word that seems to have no ordinary synonyms. But it has a few synonyms of the high-flown variety. "Physiognomy," for instance, refers to facial features or expression thought to reveal qualities of mind or character ("I thought I could detect in his physiognomy a mind owning better qualities than his father ever possessed. . . ." — Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights). "Countenance" is usually used to refer to one's face and the mood revealed by it ("Mina struggled hard to keep her brave countenance. . . ." — Bram Stoker, Dracula). "Visage" works double duty, referring to both physical appearance and a display of emotion. It can also refer to the appearance of nonliving things, as in "the dirty visage of the old abandoned factory."

From same source as the previous few...

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

He tried to hide his feckless visage behind a pair of RayBan Aviator shades, but the moment you saw his smug grin you knew who he was---the king of the cold call, the Czar of zip-code targeting, the bulldog of the boiler room, the maven of microcaps Bruce Davis, the cocaine-fueled, hard pitching, elderly-scamming tetris-playing, sushi-scarfing, prince of the sweaty den of thieves known as Walters, Jacoby and Bidwell, the slimiest firm in the dankest part of Battery Place.

And he's about to become your son-in-law.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 11 is:

flout • \FLOWT ("ow" as in "cow")\ • (verb)
*1 : to treat with contemptuous disregard : scorn
2 : to indulge in scornful behavior

Did you know?
Watch out when using "flaunt" and "flout." Critics have been complaining about the confusion of these two words since the early 1900s. "Flaunt" means "to display ostentatiously," and most usage commentators consider it an error to use "flaunt" with the meaning "to treat with contemptuous disregard" (even though some admit to doing it themselves). Many educated writers have used "flaunt" in the "flout" sense for years, but the notoriety of the controversy is so great, and the belief that it's wrong to use "flaunt" for "flout" is so deep-seated, that we think you would do best to keep the two words distinct.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Well I don't know about you...

But I flout when I flaunt just like I prance when I dance.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

And let's not forget that to truly flaunt you have to be totally orchidaceous.

quote:
The Word of the Day for June 30 is:
orchidaceous \or-kuh-DAY-shuss\ (adjective)
: of, relating to, or resembling the orchids
: showy, ostentatious

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I'd just like to remind everyone that I am so totally full of feck it ain't even funny.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 12 is:

tyro • \TYE-roh\ • (noun)
: a beginner in learning : novice

Did you know?
The word "tyro" is hardly a newcomer to Western language. It comes from the Latin "tiro," which means "young soldier," "new recruit," or more generally, "novice." The word was sometimes spelled "tyro" as early as Medieval Latin, and can be spelled "tyro" or "tiro" in English (though "tyro" is the more common American variant). Since its entrance into English, use of "tyro" has never been restricted to the original "young soldier" meaning of the Latin term. Writers in the 17th and 18th centuries wrote of tyros in various fields and occupations. Herman Melville used "tyro" to refer to men new to whaling and life at sea. More recently, a Newsweek article referred to Dr. Benjamin Spock's advice to "tyro parents."

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I guess someone who loves young soldiers would be a tyromaniac.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 13 is:

hoise • \HOYZ\ • (verb)
: lift, raise; especially : to raise into position by or as if by means of tackle

Did you know?
The connection between "hoise" and "hoist" is a bit confusing. The two words are essentially synonymous variants, but "hoist" is far more common. You'll rarely encounter "hoise" in any of its regular forms: "hoise," "hoised," or "hoising." But a variant of its past participle shows up fairly frequently as part of a set expression. And now, here's the confusing part—that variant past participle is "hoist"! The expression is "hoist with one's petard," which means "hurt by one's own scheme." This oft-heard phrase owes its popularity to Shakespeare's Hamlet: "For 'tis the sport to have the engineer hoist with his own petar[d]." (A petard, by the way, is a medieval explosive device that had an unfortunate tendency to blow up the person setting it off.)

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I just want to hoise Bob into the air and whup his butt!
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hoised by one's own petard... ah, the Elizabethan predecessor to Wile E. Coyote's infamous ACME rockets. In Jonson's Volpone there's a scene that reminds me of this great Bugs Bunny cartoon. Those Warner Brothers knew there stuff.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 14 is:

whirligig • \WUR-lih-gihg\ • (noun)
*1 : a child's toy having a whirling motion
2 : merry-go-round
3 a : one that continuously whirls, moves, or changes b : a whirling or circling course (as of events)

Did you know?
English speakers, and particularly children, began spinning whirligigs as early as the 15th century. Since then, "whirligig" has acquired several meanings beyond its initial toy sense. It even has a place in the common name of the "whirligig beetles," members of the family Gyrinidae that swiftly swim in circles on the surface of still water. The word "whirligig" comes to us from the Middle English "whirlegigg" ("whirling top"), which is itself from "whirlen," meaning "to whirl," and "gigg," meaning "top." As you may have guessed, our "whirl" comes from "whirlen" too. Also, we acquired the word "gig" from a form of "gigg." "Gig" initially meant "something that whirls," but now usually names a long light boat or a light two-wheeled one-horse carriage.

Fael
Member # 3015

- posted      Profile for Fael   Email Fael         Edit/Delete Post 
The new neighbors seemed nice enough until they unloaded their collection of whirligigs and began adorning their lawn.
Posts: 765 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.