FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Because you ARE interested in my Writing Career-- Sale! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Because you ARE interested in my Writing Career-- Sale!
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to fight off my curiosity, but alas, it has finally gotten the better of me. Scott, if it is not too much trouble, I would very, very much like to read some of your work. [Smile]

sneakoscope@gmail.com

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
F&SF is known for being particular, that's true. A friend of mine, who is a seasoned pro at short story writing, made it his goal last year to sell *something* to them because he just couldn't figure out what they were looking for. He ended up selling them two stories. He, like me, had Ellen Datlow as a Clarion teacher and has sold her a few stories for anthologies, but has only just managed to sell a story to SciFiction, and that was with George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozios cowriting.

I'm not sure if the "reading only the first word" allegation about F&SF is true. People often speculate about why they're so speedy, but it may just be that Van Geldar runs a really tight ship. A lot of editors can read fast and bear in mind that many other magazine editors, like Datlow, Dozios (though he's just finished his stint at Asimov's) and Shawna McCarthy (Realms of Fantasy) make it their jobs to read more than the slushpile. They select the Year's Best, which means reading every issue of everything, and yes, they do claim to read every pro market, or in McCarthy's case, she's an agent on the side.

I just got another rejection from Ellen Datlow! A nice one though [Smile]

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
OlavMah-- I'm sure JJA reads more than one word.

Like maybe a sentence. . . [Smile]

I really do appreciate F&SF's speedy rejection process. I hate having to wait for my disappointment.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere on here-

Night Shade Books Discussion Area: Magazine of Fantasy and Science-Fiction

-that John Joseph Adams gives a story five pages, and if it doesn't grab his interest, he doesn't send it on to GVG. That's not half-bad, considering most editors give it the first paragraph.

It would be funny if he did read only one word. In that case, I wonder what word would be sufficient to capture his attention?

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Well, I personally know that the word cannot be one of the following:

'They'
'When'
'Anthem'
'Another'

So, for all you aspiring writers-- do not begin any story that you intend on submitting to F&SF with the above words.

BTW-- got a form rejection back from another agent for 'Wild Land.'

BTW part II-- To everyone who has requested a copy of what I've written: All of my work is pending response from an editor or agent right now. It's my personal policy not to send stuff out to be critiqued/read when I have a line for that story in the water.

Sorry for the inconvenience, etc, etc. . .

[ September 07, 2004, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Scott, my finger are crossed. *smile

The Other Scott says that we have so many pages of dreck in us to get out first. Maybe we have so many rejection letters to get before It happens, too, and you aree just chewing your way mightily through your allotted slew.

[Wave]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

The Other Scott only received 3 rejection letters before getting an acceptance. What does he know?

:puts on tortured, misunderstood artiste masque:

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

When you hit, you're really going to hit big.

(No, serious, under the banter. It'll happen.)

[ September 07, 2004, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Thanks, Sara.
Scott R
Member # 567

From Ellen Datlow, at SCIFICTION:

quote:

Dear Mr. R

Thanks for sending me "Mouse and Elephant" for SCIFICTION. It's a well-told story and I like it but I'm afraid not enough to buy for the site. Good luck selling it and I hope to see your next.

Ellen Datlow
Fiction Editor
SCIFI.COM

Rats. I'm going to try Strange Horizons after I gather enough emotional strength to format the story and cut some words. . .
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*scratches head*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Human perversity, plain and simple.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
They are waiting for your poetry. *ducks and runs*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
OlavMah, what name do you write under?
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Sent it off to Strange Horizons.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I hope they give it due consideration. I worry that your rejections may be because your stories aren't read thoroughly -- it is the likeliest explanation I have, and the hardest to do anything about.

You might have discussed this before, but had you considered an agent? Has that been useful to people in the past?

*fingers crossed for you

ae
Member # 3291

Give the editors a bit more credit than that.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck Scott!

If it means anything, you know I love your writing.

Someone will pick it up soon. Keep trying.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I talked with a couple folks on Codex, and they think that the above was (at least) not a form-form letter, and I think that most of the editiors in professionally paying mags DO read thouroughly-- at least, I have faith they do. [Smile]

Though, I've really gotta question about the slush pile readers-- do THEY read thouroughly? I just don't know how F&SF has such quick return times if they ARE reading thouroughly. Or maybe John Joseph Adams is just a phonomenal individual with super-reading prowress.

End ramblings.

Anyway, Strange Horizons has a return time of about a month, so here's hoping.

Scott R
Member # 567

Sara-- I've tried five agents for my children's story, 'The Wild Land,' with form rejections from all of them. I DON'T think any of them read thoroughly ( [Wink] ).

But you don't really use agents for short stories, and at the moment, that's all I'm writing. I don't even have a novel on the backburner. . .

ae
Member # 3291

quote:
The reason our response came so quickly is because we devote time to it every day, rather than let it pile up. In many cases, we do in fact read and reject manuscripts on the same day they arrive.--JJA

http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/messages/378/824.html?1086063888

[ September 18, 2004, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: ae ]

Scott R
Member # 567

ae-- Thanks for the link. That is a very interesting discussion.

What I've concluded (perhaps erroneously) about JJA is that he is looking very specifically for certain types of stories in the slush pile. Thus, the critiquing mechanism is not 'Is this a good story?' but one of 'Does this story meet my needs?'

The one would require him to read through the whole story; the other allows him the freedom to look for what F&SF needs in a story, and determine very quickly whether or not the story meets the criteria.

Unfortunately, all my current stories are rather long. I should have taken the hint years ago-- the one story that reached Van Gelder was under 5000 words. I'm beginning to suspect (and in fact, the discussion on the thread you linked to confirms it) that shorter = better for new writers.

:whine: But there's just so much PLOT to my stories. . .

Maybe I should just stop putting the word count on the first page. But then, I'd probably be rejected for bad formatting. . . [Wink]

[ September 20, 2004, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Scott R
Member # 567

Ahem.

quote:

Dear Scott,

I wanted to let you know that your story is a Finalist in the Writers of the Future 3rd Quarter 2004 Contest.

It will be going out for finalist judging this week. We should have judging results back in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Please feel free to email me back with any comments or thoughts.

Best Wishes and Good Luck!

Judy
Contest Administrator

[Big Grin] This is for Blackberry Witch, by the way.

[ October 12, 2004, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

[The Wave]

[Party]

Go Scott! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
which story?

AJ

(so he edits to put the story above...)

Congrats Scott!
[Hail]

[ October 13, 2004, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

HOORAY!!! Way to go Scott, good luck!

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Fingers crossed for first place!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright! [Smile]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
WOO!
Yay Scott!

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Banna: Yes. [Smile]

Scott: *waves flag of ScottR fan club* Yay!!! That's wonderful!!!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party] [Party] [Party] [The Wave]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay and Woohoo for Scott!!!!!

Congratulations with the WOTF contest. Good luck.

Man... now I want to read the newest version. But... darn it all. I procrastinate way too much when it comes to critiques or just sending a "loved it" email.

[Confused]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent news, Scott!

[The Wave]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I can't tell you how pleased I am! Congratulations!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Thanks, everyone. It's going to be a looooooooong month.

[Big Grin]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my goodness how nerve-grippingly exciting! I await the results with anticipation...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
This is such wonderful news! I would not want to be the one waiting for the results, though - I know you're going to be on pins and needles!

Well, we can just hope that the end result will make it all worth it!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats and...

Bofta! [that's Romanian for good luck in the 'break a leg' kind of wishing of good luck]

I knew someone would eventually see the light.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Well, I hadn't heard back from WotF, so I emailed the contest admin.

She said said that judging was still out, and that it shouldn't be long now. :sigh:

I'm very appreciative for her quick response-- my fingernails can't take much more abuse.

Sprigatevi, judges! Gee whiz!

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow. You must be a nervous wreck.

Best of luck!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
How can the judges not love Blackberry Witch? It's smart, dark, and a little sexy. Darn it, now I have to read it again when I get home. See what you've done, Scott? [Wink]

Good Luck!

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

[Smile]

I got a call last night from the Writers of the Future contest administrators.

Blackberry Witch came in 2nd for the 2004 3rd Quarter.

[Smile]

I'm finally going to be published!

katharina
Member # 827

That's wonderful!!!! I'm so impressed. And not surprised at all.

[Party] [Party]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
YES!!!

[The Wave]

Scott, conGRATS! And to think, we can say we knew you when. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, Congrats!

Please let us know how we can pick up a copy. I'd love to support any contest that recognizes how great Blackberry Witch is.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Should be in bookstores next October. . .??

I'm not sure when it will come out, really.

prolixshore
Member # 4496

Hooray!

Congratulations Scott! It's sbout bloody time!

Good luck with all the others!

--ApostleRadio

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*yay*!!!!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.