FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Because you ARE interested in my Writing Career-- Sale! (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Because you ARE interested in my Writing Career-- Sale!
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Go, ninja, go!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not disturbing! That's awesome!!! [Big Grin] So yeah, hopefully you've got something in the works... [Wink]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not have a finished novel. Hence the [Eek!]

Advice from pros I knows says to blurb what I have in development, and ask if there are any projects that I can work on.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea. It's going to take a bit.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Scott! That is GREAT!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! That's excellent, Scott! I hope something comes of it.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

Sounds like good advice. They know you can write in the vein that they are interested in. I would imagine that a well-thought-out pitch (i.e. concept and basic plot for a novel) would be more attractive to them than a novel (or part of a novel) that doesn't fit in with the market they're trying to capture.

I'd spend more time coming up with a really great pitch than trying to hurry more blurbable passages into production.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Thanks, Zal-- I've been at designing a pitch since about 1400 this afternoon...
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep working at that pitch. This is extremely promising and I'm very happy for you. [Smile]

When you're rich and well published and famous, will you blurb for my upcoming novels (assuming I ever finish one?) [Wink]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Yes.

But only if they're given to me as audiobooks...

Scott R
Member # 567

Got a rejection from Strange Horizons for "Out of the Deep..."

Sent it off again to Realms of Fantasy this afternoon.

Scott R
Member # 567

I made some cosmetic changes to the 'Frivel and Schleck' portion of my website:

New Frivel and Schleck Page

Old Frivel and Schleck Page

Scott R
Member # 567

Rejection from Realms of Fantasy for 'Out of the Deep Have I Howled Unto Thee.' Also the advice to shorten it up a bit...
Scott R
Member # 567

Growl.

I cut two pages and sent it off to Intergalactic Medicine Show.

Two. Pages.

Ow. Ow. Ow.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

If IGMS doesn't take it, Popcorn Popping will. I would love to publish another Mormon-tinged work of speculative fiction. Most of what we have now is poetry, personal essay and realism fiction [that's my term for non-genre short fiction that attempts to locate it's time, place and characters in the stream of 'real' history].
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

In an effort to avoid writing a novel, I've made business cards.

[Smile]

I'm planning on going to Trinoc*Con in Raleigh on the 21-23 of this month; it's my first con, having skipped out on Balticon for the past...ermm...lots of years. I want to be able to say, "Well, I don't have a novel for sale, but look at these nifty business cards! I used Photoshop."

I'm pathetic.

Scott R
Member # 567

For those interested, I posted my thoughts on the DaVinci Code on my blog.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first page of both Eragon and The Da Vinci Code and found them both unreadable, but Eragorn moreso. I'm surprised you found Da Vinci Code worse.

Having read both of them, I'm sure you have a better handle on it than I do, I just found it interesting.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

It IS interesting. I was expecting to like DaVinci Code more. Alas-- both authors failed for me, but Brown moreso.
Scott R
Member # 567

I am giving a go at my own webcomic. I've got the characters and plot mostly developed, and am looking for an outstanding artist (or artists) to share the project with me.

Here is the plot write-up for the first chapter in the series. There's about seven pages of documentation behind this-- if you're interested in this project, email me at j b e e k e e p e r (at) ya hoo (dot) com, and I'll send you what I've developed.

quote:
BRIEF PLOT OUTLINE

I. HOMES AND OTHER EXTREMELY DANGEROUS PLACES

CHAPTER 1: LOOK HOMEWARD, ANGELA: The ship and crew are introduced as they fly back to Earth to fulfill the Yancy Darrow’s obligation to pick up one more shipment of colonists. Angela’s mother calls her and tells her that her father and her have some important news; nervous of meeting her parents again, Angela brings Jonah along. Angela discovers that her parents are expecting their fifth child. She is mortified, but receives another shock when she learns that they are joining the crew of the Yancy Darrow, as émigrés. Not only her parents, but her two younger brothers, Emmanuel and Ephraim will be joining.

CHAPTER 2: BOYS WILL BE BOYS: As the Yancy Darrow prepares for departure, the scientists the crew will be transporting arrive. Angela’s family is already on board, driving Angela insane. To make matters worse, her brother, Ephraim, and Jonah have been spending time together. Their friendship has unexpected and dangerous results on the Shipmate, as he begins to regress to a childlike mental state.

CHAPTER 3: THE ANATOMY OF MELANCHOLY: After launch, four of the scientists hijack the ship, wounding Captain Harris and taking January Karl hostage. As Angela and Jonah work to appease, stop, or kill them, Jonah’s sim begins to suffer delusions, mood swings and blackouts.

CHAPTER 4: JIGGETY-JOG: The scientists steal Jonah’s brain and his Sim, and force Brett to shuttle them to their colony. The crew of the Yancy Darrow must rescue him before they can implant him in their base.

Here is my write-up of the first strip:

quote:
GREPPERS #1

OPENS ON THE YANCY DARROW FLOATING IN SPACE. IN THE BACKGROUND IS THE HORSEHEAD NEBULA AND THE CAS SPACE STATION.

ZOOM TO SHOW ANGELA WATCHING THE YANCY DARROW APPROACH THE SPACE STATION. HER MOUTH IS SLIGHTLY OPEN. SHE IS HOLDING A DUFFEL BAG, AND IS WEARING A LOOSELY FITTING JUMPSUIT. A PAIR OF GOGGLES DANGLE AROUND HER NECK. THERE IS A SMUDGE OF GREASE BELOW HER RIGHT EYE.

THE YANCY DARROW DOCKS; ANGELA MOVES UP TO THE AIRLOCK AND WATCHES THE CREW EXIT. NO ONE SEEMS TO NOTICE HER. WHEN THEY’VE ALL COME THROUGH, ANGELA ENTERS.

ANGELA (thinking): The Yancy Darrow. Advanced exploration and surveying vessel. Hull length one-quarter mile. Width, one-hundred yards.

SHE SEES A SIGN LABELLED “BRIDGE” WITH AN ARROW POINTING DOWN THE HALL. THE WORDS “ENGINE ROOM” ARE DIRECTLY BENEATH IT.

ANGELA (thinking): Four primary launch engines, CAS Dion 1660s, six maneuvering thrusters, Bolshevik Hardies, 880s.

SHE WALKS ON, IN THE DIRECTION OF THE BRIDGE. SHE PASSES A SIGN POINTING THE WAY TO THE SERVER ROOM.

ANGELA (thinking): Operating system… probably Gator. Or Jingo.

SHE SEES A SIGN BENEATH THE SERVER ROOM SIGN, HAND-WRITTEN. IT SAYS, ‘GREP JAN FOR A GOODE THYME.’

ANGELA (thinking): Definitely Jingo.

CONTINUES WALKING. THERES A SIGN POINTING THE WAY TO THE BRIDGE AND THE HEAD; THERE ARE ALSO SIGNS FOR CREW QUARTERS, REC ROOMS, CARGO HOLDS… SHE HAS COME TO THE CENTER OF THE SHIP.

ANGELA (thinking): Daven lifesupport systems, Trell air circulation, Strafer torpedoes… the best. Everything is just like Mrs. Robbards said. Fully equipped, fully refitted…

SHE PASSES A DOOR WITH A MALE/FEMALE SIGN ON IT—OBVIOUSLY THE BATHROOM.

VOICE: Toilet paper! We're out of toilet paper AGAIN!

Scott R
Member # 567

I found someone in DeviantArt who liked 'Pie Fight on the Way to Hell.'

Link

[Smile]

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Eviction Notice, and it was Brilliant. Is it at all possible for me to get on the list of people you send drafts out to for critiques?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

cheiros:

I usually announce here when I get something finished, and offer it to folks for a read.

Scott R
Member # 567

I've finished the script for the first 20 episodes of 'Shipmates' or 'Greppers' or 'Yancy Darrow' or whatever the heck I'm going to wind up calling this strip.

Who wants to take a look?

[Smile]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Me. Actively. But I realize that my track record for actually providing feedback is...spotty.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I want to read it. [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Hey, guys-- send me an email at jbeekeeper at yahoo for the script.

[Smile]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Sent.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

And sent.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Aaaand...received. Thanks! I'll start in on it today if work permits, or tonight if it doesn't.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: Going to send you an e-mail...

EDIT #2: Er, I didn't sign it as Teshi (oops), but it'll probably be obvious that I'm not some crazy spammer.

[ August 31, 2006, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

New blog entry
Scott R
Member # 567

It's not the Yancy Darrow webcomic I've been waiting for, but it IS my first webcomic:

A Modest Proposal

I'm going to make this a regular feature...

Scott R
Member # 567

Two more comics uploaded to the blog...

One of these things is not like the others...

Game On

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I'm a pretty critical webcomic reader, and yours is easily in the top 5%.

Keep 'em going! [Smile]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

[Party]

Just found out that Blackberry Witch received an Honorable Mention from Ellen Datlow's Year's Best Fantasy and Horror.

[Big Grin]

[Big Grin]

[Big Grin]

It's only an Honorable Mention...but still! Huzzah! Someone knows my name!

Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome!
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
That's because Blackberry Witch rules. Congrats, Scott!
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

A funny thing happened on the way to work today

New Comic.

Scott R
Member # 567

Two new comics:

Writer's Block

Hunting the Hunter

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Writer's Block is brilliantly hilarious.
Scott R
Member # 567

I'm glad you liked it!
Scott R
Member # 567

Especially for Bob_Scopatz
Scott R
Member # 567

Odd... when I posted the post above, the thread didn't appear on the first page...
Scott R
Member # 567

I got a nice rejection notice from Intergalactic Medicine show for Out of the Deep Have I Howled Unto Thee.

Ah, well. We'll see how it does at Asimov's.

Noemon
Member # 1115

You're kidding! I loved that story.
Scott R
Member # 567

So did the editor, apparently. But it just wouldn't fit anywhere in the magazine's line up for the next year.

I'm satisfied with the way this turned out. Well-- not satisfied. [Smile] But I'm okay with it. I sent it to Asimov's this afternoon, so who knows?

Maybe I'll have my second SFWA qualifying publication in another three months...

Scott R
Member # 567

I just posted a series of serious posts on my blog.

I'm kind of disappointed in the last one. When Blackberry Witch came out, a lot of our friends (non-genre types) read it and approached my wife with the following statement, "I had no idea Scott was so...weird."

It bugged me more than it should have. It bugged me enough that I didn't really market the sale of Eviction Notice to our friends the way I did Blackberry Witch.

The question of Evil in Fiction still bothers me; it's the biggest quandry I have when writing. How dark do I go?

Christianity and Speculative Fiction: God and Mammon?

Christianity and Speculative Fiction: Context Me!

Christianity and Speculative Fiction: Riding a Dark Horse

Scott R
Member # 567

Form rejection from Asimov's for 'Out of the Deep.'

Nuts.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.