FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Because you ARE interested in my Writing Career-- Sale! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Because you ARE interested in my Writing Career-- Sale!
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we get signed copies? I'm picturing a day when you're a famous author and this first story is worth a fortune. I think getting your signature would be a wise financial decision.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I'll sign copies.

I think they do a signing thing after the awards ceremony-- come out to CA, I'll sign anything you want me to.

Um. . . almost anything.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Blackberry Witch came in 2nd for the 2004 3rd Quarter.
AHHHHHHHHHH!!

(I just scared my office mates. [Smile] )

Yay! Yay for Scott! Yayayay!

*dances

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
(I'm still having trouble breathing. Now I'm wheezing. [Big Grin]

Yay! Yay!)

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'm so happy for you! Hooray hooray hooray!

*dances* [Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
WOOHOO!!! That's awesome!
I got rejected for that quarter. I just re-read my manuscript and found out why...It SUCKED!!! I'm happy for you. I'm hoping I can do the same some day soon.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Scott!!!! I can't wait to see it in print! (Really, since I'm all about me, I can't wait to bring the book home and brag to my husband how I read an early version of this story, ages before it was published!)
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh! That is truly awesome, Scott. Congratulations!!! I feel so honored that I got to read one of the first drafts. I wish I could have read the next ones, but I didn't feel worthy having not gotten back to you on that first one. Good luck with more of your stuff.

Just let us know which volume, and I'll go and pick it up.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

OSC gives me a compliment on Blackberry Witch (I let him read the early version).
Writers Forum

:beams:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Wow and a half.

[Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*claps*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
*dances*

that is so awesome Scott! Congratulations. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Very [Cool] .

Um, Scott, did you get the email I sent you about a week or so ago?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

No, I didn't. . .
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
*powers his way through jealousy to congratulate Scott*

Congratulations, Scott!

[The Wave]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Drat. And I didn't save it in my sent folder either, it seems.

Ok, look for one from me later today. [Smile] Email that's in your profile is correct, yes?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

rivka- that should work.
Scott R
Member # 567

Rivka-- still didn't see anything from you. . .

Try jbeekeeper (at) yahoo.com . . .

Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, Scott.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Little update:

WOTF XXI will be coming out mid-August.

I have an interview tonight with the local paper on my win.

Any ideas? How do I prepare?

:gulp:

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Image is everything. Make sure the sequins on your platform boots are shiny and all your piercings are in good order.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

:scribbles:

Sequins. . .platform boots.

I was thinking of getting hair extensions, wearing a cloak, and changing my name to Alysander Moonsabre.

Good idea? Bad idea? I don't care for the heavy 'r' sound. . . Maybe it should be Moonglow? Moonhound? Moonshine?

What do you think?

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Stick with Moonsabre.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Scott! I would go with Moonshine, it give you that folksy sound that appeals to the backwoods hillbilly in all of us.

Of course, backwoods hillbillies don't read, so you might have a problem selling your work. On second thought, maybe it's a bad idea.

--ApostleRadio

[ March 23, 2005, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: prolixshore ]

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Lest anyone think that this is a fluff thread, I am seriously looking for help with this interview. . .
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...sndrake has experience with being interviewed. I've had some, but I didn't do so well, so I won't give advice. Maybe watch reruns of The Tonight Show for pointers for interviews where you talk about your work?
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I haven't seen sndrake around lately-- [Frown]

But hey, if he wants to come around to give me advice, I'm all ears.

:bump:

dkw
Member # 3264

A lot of sndrake’s interviews are pretty adversarial. This is a “local boy does good” kind of story, so the interviewer will probably be pretty friendly. Don’t be afraid to pause and think about your answers. Be prepared to either be misquoted or have the reporter “explain” your quotes in a way that isn’t what you meant by it at all. ( I once said something about the importance of lay ministry in an interview, by which I meant that every member of the church, not just the pastor, is in ministry. The reporter put in a helpful note that “lay ministry” means that you don’t have to be ordained to be the pastor of a church. [Roll Eyes] )

Find out (if you can) whether the interviewer reads speculative fiction at all – then you’ll know how careful you have to be in explaining things so that s/he doesn’t write something very, very strange (like the article linked to here awhile back showing pictures of live-action roleplaying to illustrate a story about D&D.)

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Oooh-- good ideas. Thanks. Gimme more...

[ March 23, 2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I would write down everything you think you're going to be asked so you remember more intelligent answers during the heat of the interview.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

1. You want to be able to say something unique and intelligent when you are asked: 'what was your reaction on hearing that you had won the award'

Your a funny, clever guy. Come up with something that is truthful but quippy. Know what I mean?

2. Be prepared with a good, but short anecdote about why you wanted to be a writer, or when the first time you knew you wanted to be a writer, etc.

3. This a good opportunity to pitch an upcoming project -- I mean it's unlikely that some publisher is going to read the article, find out about the novel you are working on and call you up, but it will a) be a spur for your work because you've publicly mentioned it b) show that you are ambitious and committed to writing for when you use the clip in promoting yourself [on an author's Web site, in a packet for an agent, etc.]. So think very carefully about which of your projects is the most important, the most exciting, and the most sell-able. It should be a novel or screenplay -- not a short story or novellette.

4. Come up with a consistent message about your approach to speculative fiction and repeat it throughout the interview. Go with the flow of the interview, but don't ramble. Concise answers means what you want quoted is more likely to appear in the story.

5. As dkw mentions, this won't be an adversarial interview. However, the plus+one trick can still be useful in such interviews -- esp. if it seems as if the reporter isn't fully engaged with the story or isn't quite connecting. That trick is to answer the question as briefly as possible (i.e. answer it, but don't go into detail) and then say. "And ........." [fill in what you really want to get across].

6. Work in something that mentions your pride in your hometown or favorably mentions a local book or comics store. The reporter will probably ask a question or two that leads in this direction. Seize that opportunity. Don't be too gushy, but mention how you appreciate the support of .... This is the kind of stuff that hometown papers like and it helps you build goodwill with your local community.

7. If you need more or have specific questions, e-mail me. In fact, you should have e-mailed me already about this. Haven't I told you that I would provide you with some free marketing advice? Don't be shy. This would be costing you *at least* $40 an hour if I wasn't willing to do it for free [this offer is only for Scott --- sorry. But you might be able to convince me to help you for free too even if you aren't Scott. So go ahead and ask. Sometimes I'm in the mood to exercise this part of my professional/intellectual life and if the author/story is good enough, I may give you the same deal].

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Try to think of a concise and easily understood explanation of what this contest is and why winning it is a big deal, without coming across as too arrogant that you won it. (Tricky balance, so better to think this one out in advance.)

S/he’ll probably ask you what your story is about, so think of a good way to answer that one.

Scott R
Member # 567

The interview went pretty well, I think. I used a lot of Zal and dkw's advice for prep-- thanks, y'all. I discovered I'm a bit of a . . . chatterer. [Smile]

On the other end of the enjoyment spectrum, I got two rejection letters. One from Sheila Williams at Asimov's for 'Mouse and Elephant.' The story was powerful, she says, but "didn't quite work for her." No explanation there, but I appreciate her comments. She asked to see more from me, too. The rejection came back after only a month of waiting-- suprisingly fast for Asimov's.

The other rejection was from a poetry contest that I'd submitted 'Song of the Rivelaunt' to. Form letter, really meant to advertise their children's books.

dkw
Member # 3264

Glad to hear it went well. [Smile]
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
In the science fiction and fantasy genre, magic gives the hero the edge over the villain.

But for the author who wants to write a winning story, there is no magical edge.

Scott Roberts knows all about the discipline involved in creating fantasy fiction. And now he knows what it feels like when the story he created is a winner.

The Salem Fields resident will be honored this year for "Blackberry Witch," an entry that won second place in the L. Ron Hubbard's Writers and Illustrators of the Future Contest. The contest runs quarterly.

In addition to a $750 prize and publication of his story in an anthology, Roberts will attend an awards ceremony and weeklong writers workshop in Beverly Hills, Calif., in August.

"I whooped and hollered for about five minutes," said Roberts when the voice on the other end of the phone line told him the good news.

The children didn't know why their father was yelling. They asked what was wrong.

Roberts, 30, and his wife, Mandy, 28, have three children: Junebug, 6; Super-K, 4; and Litebrite, 2. The couple is expecting a fourth child.

After Roberts told his wife about the phone call, the two celebrated the win and then put their children to bed.

"Back to life," said Roberts.

From the time he was in second grade, Roberts has been slipping in between life and the fantasy world that starts as thoughts in his mind and ends as words on a page.

A fourth-grade teacher noticed his potential and encouraged him to keep writing. In his creative writing classes at Chancellor High School and in helping produce the school's literary magazine, Roberts learned about deadlines. He graduated from Chancellor in 1993.

"My idea was always to be a novelist," said Roberts, who works in computer security in Reston.

But, there were other obligations. At the age of 20, he went on a mission trip to Italy for two years. Roberts is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

When he returned, he was ready to immerse himself in writing and marriage. He and Mandy had known each other for years. She had graduated from Chancellor in 1994.

"I had lots of starts," is the way Roberts described his story-crafting experience from the age of 23.

He sought help on the Internet and in the community and used an online forum for writers set up by Orson Scott Card, a science fiction and fantasy author. He also joined the Riverview Writers' group and attended the group's weekly critique session for about a year.

"It gave me my first opportunity to have my stories read by people who weren't concerned about being my friend," he explained.

"Anthem," a short story, was named one of 20 finalists in 2002 for Phobos, a science fiction story contest.

"It was the first time I ever had the taste of success. To see my story on a list, I was flabbergasted," he said.

He sent the story to other publications hoping to whet the appetite of an editor. But his efforts brought only rejection slips.

"There's no point in being a writer if you don't risk rejection. You gotta put your story out there," he explained.

Roberts' hope was to have the story published in the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, a feat he has yet to achieve.

Despite his belief that Internet access was the key to acquiring writing and business know-how, Scott signed up for Literary Boot Camp in 2003. The weeklong writers' workshop is run by author Orson Scott Card.

"I was offended that somebody expected me to pay for this," he said, referring to the cost of the training.

But Mandy encouraged him to go. She is what Roberts refers to as his wise reader--someone who won't shy away from the truth when looking over his story.

In addition to the cost, entry to the workshop was based on a short story submission.

"I could not believe how much I learned in that week. It rekindled my love for writing," said Roberts.

After that week, Roberts said he knew that the only things preventing his success was laziness and the lure of distractions.

He increased production in the next six months and submitted two stories to Writers and Illustrators of the Future Contest. The first was rejected. The second came in as a quarter finalist.

He tried again with "Blackberry Witch," in June 2004.

In October, he received an e-mail announcing that his story was still in the running. It had made it to the quarter finalist level and was in the final judging.

In December, he got the call that led to the few minutes of celebration.

"It's not like my writing life has been irrevocably changed," said Roberts.

He admits he still gets rejection letters from the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction and he still has trouble finishing his short stories.

But he is writing more than 250 words a day. And there's no magic involved in that.

[Eek!]

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this article.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

It's a good article. [Smile]
Scott R
Member # 567

DECONSTRUCTION

quote:
In the science fiction and fantasy genre, magic gives the hero the edge over the villain.
Harry Potter is glad to hear it. Voldemort, the Magicless, is doomed.

quote:
Roberts
Ugh. My last name sux0rz. Do they have to print it so often? Roberts this, and Roberts that. . . plus, there's that whole debate about where to put the apostophe to indicate possession.

It is just weird seeing my name in print. W314d.

quote:
From the time he was in second grade, Roberts has been slipping in between life and the fantasy world that starts as thoughts in his mind
KoM has disciples in Fredericksburg. Who'da thunk? [Smile]

On that note, there's a Protestant minister in the area who shares my name. I get phone calls from distressed old women all the time looking for help with this or that problem. Once, though, a lady called to ask me where to send 'the check.'

Heh-- I wonder what his congregation's going to think about this. . .

quote:
Roberts, 30, and his wife, Mandy, 28, have three children: Junebug, 6; Super-K, 4; and Litebrite, 2. The couple is expecting a fourth child.

This should solidly resolve the difficulty other Jatraqueros have had-- wondering if I really did name my children what I named them. [Smile]

quote:
he went on a mission trip
A mission trip. Like, 'I was tripping on this LDS the other night. . .' [Smile]

quote:
When he returned, he was ready to immerse himself in writing and marriage.
This makes me sound SOOO desperate for lovin.' I promise you, it took a solid five months of dating before I proposed. And I have known my wife since high school. In Mormon dating terms, this would indicate I have a problem with commitment.

quote:
"Anthem," a short story, was named one of 20 finalists in 2002 for Phobos, a science fiction story contest.
". . . but it did not go on to win jack-squat." I just wanted to clarify things. I think that's important, because Destineer's story went on to be published, while mine continues to garner rejection after rejection, after rejection. . .

quote:
He sent the story to other publications hoping to whet the appetite of an editor.
Alas, editors eat babies, not paper products. I'm going to pen my next story on the soft, dimpled skin of my niece, and send it off to Gordon Van Gelder at Fantasy and Science Fiction.

quote:
"There's no point in being a writer if you don't risk rejection. You gotta put your story out there," he explained.
:shakes head: No, I said there's no point in being a writer if you don't try to get published. Otherwise, you might as well be writing in a journal. And I was more erudite. Much more erudite. I mean, I was erudite like friggin. . . Aquinas, or some junk.

I did not say 'gotta.' I swear I didn't. I'll deny it until I die.

quote:
Despite his belief that Internet access was the key to acquiring writing and business know-how
Kids, believe everything the Internet says. It's all true. Business, love, spirituality. . . it's all caught up in the Web.

quote:
"I was offended that somebody expected me to pay for this," he said, referring to the cost of the training.
I did say this. But I was not implying that I was offended at OSC's bootcamp specifically-- I was trying to imply that I am skeptical of writing programs. Especially ones that ask you to front some cash.

quote:
But he is writing more than 250 words a day. And there's no magic involved in that.
I beg to differ. It's dark, terrible, magic involving the sacrifice of my family, my sanity, and quite possibly, my hairline.
dkw
Member # 3264

[Big Grin] I was interviewed by a state-wide church magazine in February. The issue with the story in it just came out this week, and I know I never said the two things I'm quoted as saying. I even know what I did say that the reporter twisted into what she needed to fit her story. What makes them think they have the right to change what is said inside those little "" marks?

I still think this is good article. You come across well.

(You forgot to mention that since she mentions you're LDS and that the contest is named after L Ron Hubbard readers are going to think there's some sort of weird-religion thing involved.)

I did think using magic as the intro to Science Fiction and Fantasy writing was strange, but since your story does use magic, not completely inappropriate in this case.

[ March 30, 2005, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeay Scott!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin]

The article is great. Your deconstruction is hysterical, Scott.

What is wrong with the name Roberts? [Dont Know]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Scott:

Congratulations!

I agree with your analysis.

It's a good story. And in terms of it coming as a result of placing in Writers of the Future --- it's fantastic. I'm not saying that your win isn't a major achievement -- it totally is. As you know, there's a good track record of winners going on to regularly publish in the speculative fiction mags and obtaining novel contracts. But in terms of trying to pitch a story on you at this point in your career, I don't think I could have done any better. In other words, it's nothing to sneer at. That's an 840-word story you got yourself there -- many contest winners only get an 100-180 word newsbrief.

But the story does show that the writer doesn't quite get the whole thing -- thus the lead and the overall angle to the story seem a little off to those of us who are familiar with the world of speculative fiction. Still, I've seen much, much worse with a paper the size of this one.

One more thing: I'm not too fond of the ending. It sounds like you were just a bit too honest with the reporter about your writing struggles.

BTW, this popped up in one of my Gnews alerts -- so you better watch out. Anytime something somewhere mentions that you are LDS (or Mormon) and you write fiction, I'll know. [Evil Laugh]

EDIT: And I agree with rivka on the name. It's actually a great name for a writer, imo.

[ March 30, 2005, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Scott R
Member # 567

I don't know what's wrong with it, Rivka.

If I did, I could fix it.

[Big Grin]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott that's awesome. [Smile] I think it's a very good article, but I really enjoyed your deconstruction. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on the rejections, Scott. You're one step closer to publication for those stories.

(Now if that isn't looking on the bright side, I don't know what is! [Smile] )

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Zal: I sent the reporter involved a thank you email, because she did do a good job with it-- and the nitpicks I have are just that: nitpicks.

(I'm a little annoyed at the comment about slipping into a fantasy world. . .)

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I'm glad to hear that you found the overall experience and result satisfactory. Sending a thank you e-mail is always a nice gesture.

At the same time: there's nothing wrong with nitpicking. You can't control the reporter, but you can always try and figure out what bothers you or what you would have liked to have been different and then work that into the strategy for your next experience.

Scott R
Member # 567

In one of the short stories I'm currently writing, the main character is restoring old motorcycles. However, I know next to nothing about motorcycles, and I'm on a 56k line here at home-- so googling takes FOREVER.

Does anyone have a quick link to pages with diagrams, names, etc. of motorcycle parts?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ask ElJay... [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.