FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Because you ARE interested in my Writing Career-- Sale! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Because you ARE interested in my Writing Career-- Sale!
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I should make one of those! [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Batman
Member # 4211

- posted      Profile for Batman   Email Batman         Edit/Delete Post 
*is slowly filling up a folder with rejection letters*
Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Eviction Notice should have been entitled Rejection Notice.

[Razz]

I need some help determining where else to send it. Eviction Notice is a dark fantasy-- sort of a ghost story, about a man who killed his son and is haunted by him.

Normally, I'd try Asimov's after being rejected by Fantasy and Science Fiction, but it just doesn't seem like Asimov material. . .

Any ideas?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Perhaps Weird Tales would work. Their description of stories published matches Eviction Notice from what I remember of it (which is a lot since I loved that story). Hope this helps a little.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Thanks a bazillion!

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Asimov's rejected Elephant and Mouse.

[Frown]

However, they did say they wanted to see more from me, which is different from the last form rejection I got from them.

Hey, any little bit of encouragment helps.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, that is encouraging. Take it for what it is - a form of compliment. Not the compliment you wanted, but still a compliment.

Chin up, it WILL happen. The difference between published writers and all those wonderful writers who never get published is perseverance.

[Group Hug] Scott [Group Hug]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, and everyone else who has collected rejections, you may be interested in this website:

http://rejectioncollection.com/

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Asimov's just rejected Eviction Notice.

Rats.

Strange Horizons is my next victim. . .

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez. Talk about a mean rejection letter.

http://rejectioncollection.com/rcollection/index.php3?story_id=95

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

It's been one month since I sent Eviction Notice to Strange Horizions.

My fingers ache because they've been crossed for 30 days.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, could you send me those stories?
KweaJr@msn.com

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!

I've been spending the last several years trying to get published as well, so reading about your rejection from F&SF made me feel a little better. I've got a nice collection of F&SF form letter rejections myself.

I can't wait to hear what news you get back from Strange Horizons. Crossing my fingers for you, so you can rest yours.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn it. I thought this was Scott saying the literary world had finally recognized his talent. The heck's wrong with those people?
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You know Scott's eventually going to be one of those people who gets to think up witty responses for all the FAQs he gets asked at book signings. He'll tell auditoriums packed with nerdy sci-fi types how he got yay many rejection slips before Tor finally picked him up. He'll have a bunch of know-it-all fans telling him where to take the story in the next book of his bestselling series. We're all just lucky to be here during the early stages of that process. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I read all those stories?

blacwolve@yahoo.com

And anyone who has stories they want critiqued, I am going to be bored out of my mind for the next week, and I'd love something to do to make myself feel useful. So please send them. [Smile]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tonatiuh
Member # 6052

- posted      Profile for Tonatiuh   Email Tonatiuh         Edit/Delete Post 
iron_man_2@msn.com please sounds awesome
Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished writing a 320 page science fiction novel, currently in the process of micro-editing. Now what? How can I get an agent? Any suggestions?
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
The first step is not to post any significant portion of it online, or you will have liite chance of getting it published.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Well, I got a nice note back from Strange Horizons telling me that Eviction Notice was too close to horror for their tastes.

Rats.

And Grrr.

Anyway, I'm going to try Weird Tales next, then Amazing Stories. . .

Scott R
Member # 567

BTW, if anyone knows any macabre/horror mags out there, I'd love to be able to sample them.

With the intent of sending along Eviction Notice. . .

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
What a strange market to negotiate.

Too horror!
Too fantasy!
Not hard sci-fi enough!
Not high-fantasy enough!
Too literary!
Too...

Somebody should start a speculative fiction mag called Orphans or Hybrids that runs all the well-written stuff that doesn't fit into hard genre categories.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Well, www.ralan.com notes that Weird Tales is backlogged right now.

I'm thinking of submitting to Flesh and Blood instead. Anyone know anything about Flesh and Blood?

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. I don't know anything about Flesh and Blood, but incidentally I was combing through the magazines at Borders the other day and picked up a copy of Weird Tales.

Would you also please send me your stories? IceDragon60@earthlink.net

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Got the following from Writers of the Future for Mouse and Elephant:

quote:

Dear Entrant:

Thank you for entering the L. Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future Contest. Your entry placed in the quarter-finals of the 2nd quarter 2004 (Jan 1- March 31, 2004).

Judges for the quarterly judging are . . .

We commend your achievment and hope you will submit another entry for the 3rd quarter. . .

We wish you the best of luck on your next entry!

I'm not sure what this means. . . that the story is still under review, and I'll be getting a real YAY or NAY in the future? Is it a nice NAY?

??

I'm so confused!

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a nice nay to me. [Frown]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd publish it.

If I could. You still rock, dude!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
What is meant by the use of the verb 'placed'? In what way did Scott's story 'place'?
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
This confusing. I have some friends who have placed in WoTF, Scott and I can ask them for you if you like?

Anyway, it's a nicer whatever-it-is letter than I got from WoTF.

[ June 29, 2004, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: OlavMah ]

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

OlavMah-- ask away.

I posted the same question on Luc Reid's Codex forum; am waiting for a response there, too. . .

Scott R
Member # 567

Here is the rejection letter I got from the 2004 first quarter:

quote:

Dear Entrant:

Thank you for entering the L. Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future Contest. Your entry did not place in the final selection for the 4th quarter 2003 (July 1-Sept 30, 2003).

Judges for the quarterly judging are.. .

We commend your effort and hope that you will submit another entry for the 1st quarter 2004. . .

We wish you the best of luck on your next entry!

As you can see, the only real difference is in the first paragraph, second sentence. A little change in the last paragraph. . .

AAAAUUUGGHH!

I emailed the contest admin for some input on this. I'm going to go crazy, I think.

Don't mind me.

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss]

Maybe you can find a way to exploit crazy.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to let you know that I'm interested enough in your writing career to check this thread out every time I see it.

Hang in there.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
i'd like to read your stories scott. Can you e-mail them to me

GDA89@aol.com

[ June 30, 2004, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Got an email from the contest admin today-- [Frown] .

Fiddlesticks.

I'd try Strange Horizons next, but Mouse and Elephant is 12k words long. . . too long.

Maybe some cutting and slicing. . .

Ugh. I'm frustrated now.

Blackberry Witch is on its way to WotF. . . but it will be September before I find anything out.

I've started tacking my rejection letters to my writing desk. . .

:mumble, rant:

OlavMah
Member # 756

Scott,

So is your question answered? I say go ahead and submit to Strange Horizons. Unless there are things that you think *can* go, leave it as it is. The submission guidelines are just that, guidelines. (Susan and Jed will kill me for saying that, but hey [Smile] ) Have you tried SciFiction? www.scifi.com/scifiction

Howabout the Third Alternative? OnSpec? Interzone? Keep sending it out! Connie Willis once recieved eight rejections in one day, and almost every one of those stories eventually sold. One, "Daisy, in the Sun" is now a classic. It's a tough market right now, so don't feel bad about all the rejections.

[ July 01, 2004, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: OlavMah ]

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I haven't tried Strange Horizons yet, because it takes so long to format manuscripts to their specifications.

But I will-- can I drop your name in my cover letter? [Smile]

Just kidding.

OlavMah
Member # 756

Sure, but it won't help. They've never bought from me [Smile] . Last time I saw them was at a writers retreat and there was a nasty virus going around, so they may associate vomiting with my presence. :shrug:

They do buy outside the guidelines, though. My Clarion classmate sold them a 12 story series all at once about two years ago. Granted, it has to be really good (this was the star of my Clarion class), but better to give them your best and be outside of guidelines than to give them something that fits their guidlines but isn't your best.

But major kudos on taking the time to format it correctly for them. According to Susan, no one does that.

Scott R
Member # 567

You're kidding!!

Well. . . huh.

I spent an hour scrutinizing Eviction Notice to make sure it fit.

I'll give them a go this afternoon.

OlavMah
Member # 756

Yeah, just don't tell Susan and Jed that I'm posting this on public forums [Smile] . The guidelines are meant to give you an idea of 1) what lengths they can afford to buy and 2) what lengths they have the time to read. They are not carved in stone. Don't completely disregard them, but don't do a hatchet job on your work either.

But you might want to try SciFiction first and check their guidelines about word limits. Ellen Datlow does publish new authors with funky voices, so it might be a fit. Her slushpile reader is also very into offbeat stuff. She's the highest paying editor in the field and very particular, though, so don't be offended if she doesn't like your work or you get a brisque, dismissive rejection. She does that to me and then gets after me for not sending her more. While I get along with her very well (she even started contacting other editors for me when I sent a story she liked but didn't think fit on her site), our patron, Mr. Card, and she differ greatly in their opinions - she has a quite strong personality.

One other random thought. If you submit to SciFiction, do not include the stories you had published in MZB in your credentials. Ellen Datlow did not think highly of them - a matter of personal taste. I seem to recall you'd been published there.

That's all the "inside" info I have, I think. Best of luck to you.

[ July 01, 2004, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: OlavMah ]

Scott R
Member # 567

Nope-- I'm a never-published-before writer.

What's MZB?

OlavMah
Member # 756

Marion Zimmer Bradley's something or other. Sorry, confused you with AndrewR. My mistake.
Scott R
Member # 567

:-)

No problem. Marion Zimmer Bradley's mag went out of business before I started trying to get published.

Scott R
Member # 567

After reviewing the guidelines for Scifiction, I chose to send Mouse and Elephant to them.

I'm a little suprised at their pay rates-- they pay twice what Asimov's and F&SF offer. I wonder how they can manage to swing that.

Scott R
Member # 567

Just sent off Eviction Notice to Flesh and Blood. . .
Scott R
Member # 567

Flesh and Blood sent it back-- 'interesting tale,' but not right for them.

Weird Tales is next. . .

Scott R
Member # 567

Sent a query to three agents today on 'The Wild Land--' a children's book I recently finished.
OlavMah
Member # 756

SciFiction is the highest paying market and Ellen Datlow has been a high paying editor (maybe the highest paying, not sure) for a long time. How they afford it is by being affiliated with SciFi.com. I don't know that SciFiction generates a lot of money for SciFi, but it's a prestige thing. A lot of stories chosen by Ms. Datlow win awards and she edits The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror.

But it also means she's very selective and particular. She pans my writing to me all the time [Smile]

Scott R
Member # 567

I'm not sure you can get much more selective than John Joseph Adams. . .

I hear that he reads the first word of each story sent to F&SF, and if you don't have him by then, he tosses your story. . .

[Big Grin]

FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent a story to SCIFI.COM. I fully expect to be rejected, but I'm trying to get a feel for them. Of course, I've had my fill of form letter rejections.

Anyway, I haven't asked for your stories yet, ScottR, because I'm scared to read them. I'm afraid you're going to show me up and make me realize how much of a hack job my own writing is.

But I really, really would like to read them. I'll be wounded afterwards. I might crawl into a hole of despair for awhile, but perhaps a good splash of reality will turn me into a better writer.

So, anyway, I would love to read your stories, any and all that you want to send.

OytheGreat@yahoo.com

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.