FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your last first kiss (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Your last first kiss
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
What you need, MLFK, is a wholesome dose of CT's Matchmaker thread. [Smile]

Edit:

My own last first kiss was probably a mistake. Even if it wasn't, I still regret it. I brought a girl home after a big shindig at the middle of the term, but I did not bring her home to make out with her. She came on pretty strong, though, but I got the impression that she wanted more than I was willing to give... I resisted for a while, but what tipped the scales was when she said that she was a biter.

...please understand that I'm a sucker for nibbling and biting and that sort of wholesome goodness, and it had been altogether too long since I'd kissed someone who would also bite (Train Cutie #1, for those keeping score).

So anyway, I bit her. (Well, it was more of a nibble.) One bite led to another and soon we were kissing. She was a pretty good kisser, too, which was somethine else I'd been missing.

She stayed the night – no, there was no sex in either the champagne room or my own, but I definitely confirmed my suspicion that she wanted to do more than I was willing to do. I scored the spare mattress and slept on that. She snored (points off, I'm a light sleeper). I nabbed my headphones and iPod and was eventually able to get to sleep.

Having been reminded of how much I miss these things, though (that is to say, kissing and biting), I'm looking forward to my next first kiss. [Smile]

[ March 29, 2004, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My last first kiss
Member # 6326

- posted      Profile for My last first kiss           Edit/Delete Post 
If I am lonely now, imagine how lonely I would be if I had love but it was thousands of miles away.

[ March 29, 2004, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: My last first kiss ]

Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Touché.

I had some relatively deep-rooted self-esteem issues when I got into my last serious long relationship, but by the time she broke up with me I was past them, thanks to her help. Relationships can help with emotional problems but you have to make sure that you don't let the relationship become a crutch.

The other thing, too, is that I think you're much more ready for relationships when you've got your own life sorted out and are relatively happy; a relationship can be like a monkey wrench in that you might not want to throw one in to something that isn't already working well.

I dunno, though, it's past 3AM and I'm flattened, so I could just be spewing random garbage. Sorry I'm not more useful [Frown]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My last first kiss
Member # 6326

Don't worry about it. I don't know what I was expecting, your reply was welcome.

[ March 29, 2004, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: My last first kiss ]

Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
MLFK-
One thing that is certain is that Mr. Right won't bust into your room looking for you.

You need to be out, visible and interacting with people to meet someone.

As for the self-loathing; something that works wonders is to make a list of all your weak points, then, and this is the tough part, make an equally long list of your strong points.

For most of the people I've known who have fallen out of like with themselves, the act of trashing one's self has become easy and comfortable. When you force yourself to acknowledge the good and the strength in yourself, it is terrifying and liberating.

Gather together your courage and start writing. [Smile]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My last first kiss
Member # 6326

I. will try. Thank you.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
MLFK,
You need help way beyond what this forum has to offer. Way beyond. You need serious counselling starting now.

Please make the next post that you put in this thread one that says that you're already in some kind of therapy or you've picked up the phone and have made an appointment for it.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
We were lying in bed.

It was one of those situations where nothing is spoken; the energies involved were enough. It came to us naturally to meet each other's needs. It started with an all-too-natural embrace, the kind where your bodies line up with one another in such a way that says: this fits. And while you're lying there trying to figure out what the rules might be for this ultimately fleeting moment of your life, while a thousand new songs are writing themselves into your fingers as if you had been playing them for years, while your mind is absurdly trying to figure out whether or not it would be possible to simply stay in this position for the rest of your life, and while the voices you're accustomed to hearing over your head as they tell you that you are unlovable over and over again are finally and eternally silent; in the midst of all this contentment he leans in close to your face as if asking--no, begging--for permission to taste and drink your mouth and the raging passions that have been locked there for thousands of years.

We were so close that there wasn't much more ground to cover, but I made up the rest of the distance myself. With speed and accuracy, I might add.

I later decided that the entire event--and believe me, there was more [Wink] --was going to be on the DVD of my life, under Bonus Materials. Reserve yours today and get $5 off the purchase price.

[ March 29, 2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: JohnKeats ]

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens, John. That was pretty spicy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
How often does it happen that you lie in bed with someone before you even kiss?

[Eek!]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
That happens to me, but I'm usually in a "We are friends" sort of mode. And the people that I date know that i am saving my virginity so it doesn't matter that are first kiss may occur on a bed.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

Actually, I thought the description was pretty tame... sort of the preview version, you might say. [Smile]

And Kama, it is not OFTEN that you find yourself lying down next to someone in a bed that you've not kissed before, but it does happen occassionally. Usually in friendly situations.

For me it's usually women, though...

*shrugs*

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Okay. Can I kiss you if we lie down together?

[Wink]

[ March 29, 2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

*pushes John outta the way and lies in his place*

C'mon, I think I'll appreciate it more than him.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My last first kiss
Member # 6326

The year was 1968. I was five years old. I caught a grasshopper and put in in a jar. My mom poked holes in the lid with an icepick. She accompanied me to our next-door neighbor's house, where I gave the grasshopper to the neighbor girl - her name was Carol Wood. I seem to recall that she was into bugs. I gave her the jar, and she grabbed me and planted a big wet kiss on me, full on the lips.

I was completely caught off guard, and my mom thought it was hilarious.

I just wish I could still elicit that type of response.

JohnKeats
Member # 1261

Zotto... there's room enough for all of us, don't you think? [Big Grin] (plus, we are talking about MY bed, here)

Kama, I don't always discriminate... especially if you're good at it. In fact I've done a heck of a lot more stage kissing with the ladies than I've done with anyone else. I'm practically a pro. [Big Grin]

[ March 29, 2004, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: JohnKeats ]

Kama
Member # 3022

[Eek!]

[Big Grin]

That said, I don't think I've had enough practice to be good at it. I've only been kissing for a month or so.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is sort of a derailment, why is kissing something that sounds like it's rated? I mean, it's not a performance, and if you like someone, how can you screw it up?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
My last first kiss and first kiss ever was a little over a month agowhen BlackFox came home from Iraq. To say the least, it was VERY nice.

...Which would be why I kept kissing him after just a moment's pause soo... [Big Grin] Yeah, more memories of just really enjoying myself for a bit than of a specific kiss. [Smile]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

Are you asking how can you have a bad kiss???
katharina
Member # 827

I'm asking why someone is rating a performance when they are kissing someone.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

*shrugs*

Some kisses are just better than others.

Also a kiss can easily serve as an indicator for the relationship. You can like somebody a lot and then, when kissing them, discover that you just LIKE them a lot. On the other hand, you can walk away saying "wow, he's a really good kisser!" and still just LIKE them a lot, but the feelings would be totally different. But that's just my experience.

Geomancer
Member # 6299

- posted      Profile for Geomancer   Email Geomancer         Edit/Delete Post 
And then there's someone you like a lot whose kiss makes you fall for them for some odd reason. That's just how it works. My last first kiss was on my bed w/ my last girlfriend while listening to The Best of Times by Styx, coincidentally. I just had a random playlist on Windows Media Player and it was on. In case you don't know what that song is, the chorus is like "The best of times are when I'm alone with you, some rain some shine, we'll make this a world for two." Sounds really stupid, but Styx is a great band. [Razz]
Posts: 40 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Different experiences, then.
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

Geomancer has the feel of it.

Honestly, there's got to be a difference between the kiss you give your girlfriend/boyfriend and the kiss you give your fiance/spouse. Your wedding kiss is different than your honeymoon kiss. The kiss you give to your boyfriend that you're only seeing because your families set up the relationship will be undoubtedly worse than the kiss you get from the guy you asked out because YOU were interested in him. Prom night kisses between folks who are only promming together because there was no one else to go with will be different than high school sweethearts who have been together for years. Rating them is not such a big deal, is it?

[ March 29, 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: JohnKeats ]

Zotto!
Member # 4689

A spin-the-bottle (or in my case, flashlight) kiss with my then-girlfriend with a whole gang of friends did not feel the same as the ones she gave me when we were alone. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

Sure kisses can be different, and some are more memorable than others. I was objecting to the idea of skill, I think.
Zotto!
Member # 4689

Oh.

You're right, then. [Smile]

JohnKeats
Member # 1261

Hm. Fair enough. Maybe you just need to kiss me to figure out what I mean. [Kiss]

I do believe that there are people who really stink at kissing. They are bad kissers. They have no kissing skill. Usually, however, the "skill" involved has many related factors, such as self-confidence, mouth-cleanliness, proper-level-of-wetness... all of which can change as the person evolves throughout their life.

I mean, if someone were to kiss me and they were really passionate about it, but all that meant was press-your-lips-against-mine-really-hard, they would be a "bad kisser".

I personally don't see any difference between this and saying "he's a really good dancer", or "she's a really bad driver" or "he's a bad hugger" (you know the kind, arms reach around the back, double-pat, no real embrace).

[ March 29, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: JohnKeats ]

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
I mean, if someone were to kiss me and they were really passionate about it, but all that meant was press-your-lips-against-mind-really-hard, they would be a "bad kisser".
Maybe it's too dark in the room.

---

Caught it. [Taunt] *grin*
quote:
Maybe you just need to kiss me to figure out what I mean.
In all seriousness, though, this is just what I mean. I'm not in love with you. It doesn't matter how much practice you've had - there's just no way that a kiss from you would be better than one from someone with whom I am in love.

[ March 29, 2004, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

JohnKeats
Member # 1261

Depends on what you mean by "better".

There's the kiss that pushes all the right buttons and then there's the kiss that is so meaningful that it touches buttons no one else can push. The best thing to have is both, naturally, but they are different qualities.

katharina
Member # 827

I can't imagine any situation where a kiss from someone I didn't love would be better than a kiss from someone that made me light up just to see his name.
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

That's because you wouldn't really be kissing anybody who didn't fall into that category.

But surely you can IMAGINE.

katharina
Member # 827

Honestly, no.

I'm not trying to pull an innocent-as-pie thing here. My first kiss (back when I was in high school) was, unfortunately for my principles and the biography but just fine for my memories, with a player who knew exactly what he was doing. That's an interesting story that I might tell someday except I feel a little bad for how I treated him.

Anyway, I've been kissed by someone I didn't object to who knew exactly what he was doing, and I've been kissed by someone who made my heart fly. There is absolutely no comparison.

[ March 29, 2004, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

JohnKeats
Member # 1261

quote:
There's the kiss that pushes all the right buttons and then there's the kiss that is so meaningful that it touches buttons no one else can push. The best thing to have is both, naturally, but they are different qualities.
quote:
Anyway, I've been kissed by someone I didn't object to who knew exactly what he was doing, and I've been kissed by someone who made my heart fly. There is absolutely no comparison.
quote:
The best thing to have is both, naturally, but they are different qualities.
quote:
There is absolutely no comparison.
quote:
They are different qualities.
quote:
There is no comparison.
[Kiss] [Wall Bash] [Cry]

[ March 29, 2004, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: JohnKeats ]

katharina
Member # 827

Better = comparison

"Good" implies the existance of "bad."

JohnKeats
Member # 1261

Let me go back and qualify that every time I was speaking of BETTER kissing I was talking about the physicality involved in the act rather than how much you loved the person(s) participating.

Different.

katharina
Member # 827

That's exactly what I meant. I don't like the idea of rating by level of skill something that's meant to be an expression of affection and love.
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

Right. Well like I said, you wouldn't be kissing anybody that didn't already make your heart fly with their presence alone, so the idea of skill would probably be foreign to you.

Consider yourself lucky then that you've never had a bad kiss. It's not a hard skill but it is easy to screw up. I'd wager you'd find a lot more people who've had bad kisses than people who've only had good ones.

But like you said, different experiences. Lucky you.

katharina
Member # 827

Okay, don't...think more of me than I deserve. Added: Some of the principles come as the result of experience.

I have had bad kisses, but that had everything to do with the person kissing me. I'm usually oblivious to intent, and was for most of my dating career too much of a Nice Girl to hurt anyone's feelings by pulling away. I have had kisses that were not good experiences, but it wasn't a matter of skill level. I was just dumb enough to let it happen when my heart wasn't in it.

[ March 29, 2004, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

JohnKeats
Member # 1261

Why wouldn't you be able to enjoy a good kiss from somebody that you found attractive but from whom you knew there was no real romantic possibility? Assume that intentions from both sides are simply to enjoy each other. You trust the person and they trust you and neither of you want to go further than a kiss. Could you enjoy it? And could you then rate it?

A kiss is just a kiss, as the song goes.

katharina
Member # 827

Why would I kiss him then? For recreation?
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

quote:
Assume that intentions from both sides are simply to enjoy each other.

[ March 29, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: JohnKeats ]

katharina
Member # 827

Like a good piece of cheesecake?

I don't think so.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat - I know exactly what you're saying. I was shocked a couple months ago to hear a group of LDS friends talking about going on dates just for "action." (granted, the action they were referring to was undoubtedly just kissing) I was shocked. Why on earth would you date someone you weren't interested and - much less - kiss them? I was totally heartbroken once by a guy who held my hand and then told me he wasn't going to date me exclusively.

If your kisses don't mean anything, if you're only enjoying someone, then you're being dishonest with the manifestations of love.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I get a pin that says that?

Dishonest with the Manifestations of Love

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, Bob. I also sell t-shirts. It'll be doing the ladies a favor for you to advertise.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Annie, that's just what I mean. It's hard enough that dating has implications.

My last summer in Logan, I spent about two months dating this guy - because he was nice, because he asked, and because, frankly, he was drop-dead gorgeous. 6'2", built like a model, dark eyes, dark skin, dark hair - oh my word.

Anyway, we just hung out, played pool, and rode bikes. It was fun, and I knew he thought of them as dates, but I was just enjoying the activities and the view. Which was fine. Until he kissed me when I wasn't looking, which confused me but I just sort of let it happen and didn't say anything. I was leaving for Dallas soon after that, and the next time I saw him, he took me to a park and proposed. Oh dear. I definitely should have said something earlier. It turned out to be a much squickier and a much harder situation because I HADN'T pulled away when I realized what was happening.

[ March 29, 2004, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, for me, kisses=commitment. But apparently there are tons-o people out there who do not feel thusly. Hence the term NCMO (Non-Commital Make-Out).

Not long ago, there was a website called NCMO.com created by BYU students for BYU students to find and get together with others who wanted to make-out. I was, um, rather annoyed. Funny thing, there were tons more guys than girls on it.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

BYU = crazy
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.