FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Deep Space Nine on the Home Stretch... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Deep Space Nine on the Home Stretch...
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I've said, I don't know much about DS9. This episode seems better than TNG in that regard.

That was one thing that I liked about B5. It seemed obvious that it was written by an athiest, but at it showed respect for religions and religious people.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in this episode, only one or two religious people weren't dorks. The rest were.

But still, that's progress.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
If I see one more commercial for Enzyte, natural male enhancement...
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I think DS9 does a terrific job of portraying religious people.

Kira is probably the most "real" religious character I have ever seen on television. Her religious beliefs influence almost every aspect of her decision making. Kira takes her religion seriously and draws strength from it. Too many other shows portray religious people as merely "turn the other cheek" saps or "faith will conquer all" zealots. Kira is more complex than that.

I also liked how all the characters eventually stopped referring to the wormhole entities as "prophets" instead of "aliens." [Smile]

[ April 07, 2004, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Maybe they figure that all the geeks out there watching Star Trek need more, um, self esteem.
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
The geeks are fine. After all, we all are pretty good at conserving our strength for important matters - like lifting donuts from the boxes to our mouths.

It's the steroid athletes that end up needing help with uh.. self-esteem.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Certify your ds9 geekhood here.

I only got 19 right. Missed one trick question through sheer carelessness. You'll know the one I'm talking about. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
mph -- episodes are only an hour long (minus ads). If they've got a plot revolving around religious fanatics, the religious fanatics are going to be the center of the episode and there won't be time for much else.

Not having equal time for even minded religious people in the same episode isn't an agenda, or even something that should be changed. Its just a natural consequence of the format when applied to the basic plot of the particular episode.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
You have to admit that the 1st season is REALLY annoying. I'm sick of the first season!! Where is Kira's better hair?

When do Kira and Odo finally hook up?

When do the writers get over their obsession with the Ferengi???

When do the actors finally learn to gyrate realistically when the floor is supposed to be shaking?

When When??? Please tell me this season will be over soon!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
When do Kira and Odo finally hook up?

Be prepared to wait a long time.

When do the writers get over their obsession with the Ferengi???

There are Ferengi episodes througout the series.

When do the actors finally learn to gyrate realistically when the floor is supposed to be shaking?

Never.

When When??? Please tell me this season will be over soon!

The first season ended a while ago. In fact, the third season just started today.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

First, the good news (good news for me):

I have the first 47 episodes of DS9 all on tape! Labeled!

The bad news:

Spike TV is apparently going to start running DS9 once per day - starting from the beginning! That means new shows (season 3) won't show up for about ten weeks!

It gets worse. On Fridays, they'll be airing "DS9 Uncut" - which will be two-episode arcs of DS9 played back-to-back. But they'll be played completely out of sequence! [Frown]

Grrr. (Promising myself I won't watch shows out of sequence, but knowing I'll wimp out on that promise.)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
heh heh!! I've seen all three of the series out of sequence. It does get confusing. (we have all 8 seasons of TNG on tape. [Smile] )
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

ARGH!!!!! I thought that spike was being really smart and getting the lame first 2 episodes out of the way in one week, and then going on with the rest. But they are starting back over? What a crap! [Wall Bash]
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[...] (we have all 8 seasons of TNG on tape. )
There is no smiley green enough to convey the intense jealousy I feel.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
How did you manage to get the secret eighth season? Paramount is still denying that it even exists!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*takes quiz*

[Eek!] [Blushing]

*slinks off*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Well, they've moved the show all over the schedule, but I've actually managed to tape almost all the episodes. And now we're down to the final season - and they're showing two episodes a day in sequence!

Reacquainted myself with what may be my favorite Garak quote of all. Sisko enlists Garak's help in getting the Romulans to break their alliance with the dominion. Garak engineers the death of a Romulan Senator and makes it look like the Dominion did it, Sisko storms into the tailor shop and hits him.

Garak's response:

quote:
"That's why you came to see me--isn't it, Captain? Because you knew I could do those things you weren't capable of doing. Well, it worked! And you'll get what you want - a war between the Romulans and the Dominion. And if your conscience is bothering you, you should soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the entire Alpha Quadrant, and all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bargain."
Diane is a little troubled by just how much I like Garak. [Wink]
zip
Member # 4710

- posted      Profile for zip   Email zip         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Garik too. Did you ever read the book stitch in time? it was written by the guy who played Garik, kind of filled in his back story, really good book imo.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Zip,

Yes! "A Stitch in Time" is one of the few novels in the Star Trek franchise that stands out very distinctly for me. Most of the other books just get remembered as a general fuzzy mess - like much of my memory. [Wink]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.