FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mrs. Powell is the Devil (Page 7)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Mrs. Powell is the Devil
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What are rules of ettiquette on removing parts of a post that, as Kat so wisely predicted, I regret the delivery in? Is it disingenuous to do so once people have commented on it?
It's up to you. Most things, I choose to leave in because, well, it happened and that's that. We all are human, we all make mistakes and we all say things we later regret. The important thing is that you are both cool with what happened.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only down to lukewarm at the moment, actually.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry too much about it simply because we're almost to the next page. I always leave my posts (I do typo fixes and sometimes add content with an edit label), even when I've planted my foot thoroughly in my mouth, but if I had to make a guess about the "official" etiquette I'd say that if you really want to edit it just label your edit(s).
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Got ice?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just burnt my breakfast because I was reading this thread and not watching the grill.

Darn interesting theological discussion! You owe me rye bread!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Here you go . With some extras.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yummm.

That just makes my substitute white sandwhich bread toast and vegemite (they were my last two pieces of rye) even less satisfying.

Oh well, I guess I expanded my mind.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I've learned the hard way to never cook and post at the same time. [Big Grin]

And PSI? Believing homosexuality is wrong does not a fanatic make.

When you start building pipe bombs and lashing people to fence posts...we might have to reconsider your label.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
From what we know of Mayan culture, yes, all their human sacrifices went willingly. The sacrifice was the re-enactment of Quetzalcoatal voluntarily killing himself (actually his twin self, but still himself) at the beginning of time. The world grew out of his corpse. The Quetzalcoatal stand in was painted blue and volunteered their heart -- the greatest honour. Their sacrifice renewed creation.

They had plenty of other more minor blood sacrifices throughout the year. The elder of every house would be bloodletted every night. The king's penis would be cut open and the queen's tongue cut and their blood would be burned. The will of the gods could be seen in the smoke and this is how wars, crops, and new temples were decided.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Interesting. It is my personal belief that the traditions of Quetzalcoatal are remnants from the actual visit Christ made to those people long before as chronicled in The Book of Mormon. That they went willingly in symbolism of what Christ (Quetzalcoatal) did (dying to redeem man) reminds me a lot of the tradition in the Philippines where men (and perhaps women, I don't know) volunteer to be crucified before Easter. They are not killed, and quite often the nails only go through the webbing of their feet and hands, but the motivation is very similar. To honor Christ's atonement. Their method is just less... committed.

I personally find both practices to be repugnant to God, but I understand that those who do it in the Philippines are honored greatly for their sacrifice and their willingness to approach suffering what Christ suffered. My personal belief is that Christ suffered so that we did not have to. I believe the only sacrifice he requires of us is "a broken heart and a contrite spirit" in recognition of what was done for us.

I realize that my calling Quetzalcoatal Christ would be deeply offensive to someone of that culture and perhaps others. But it is in alignment with my beliefs--for I do believe that Christ visited them and that I hold in my posession the record of it.

For anyone interested, I just happened to bump into this site the other day. I was researching Aztec culture for my Cub Scouts. LDS perspective on Quetzalcoatl and other Book of Mormon history

[ September 02, 2004, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Quetzalcoatl was Aztec, not Mayan?

Ah-- here's an answer:

quote:
Lastly, it must be kept in mind that despite Quetzalcoatl being an Aztec name, the cultures preceding them had their name for him as well, and applying their own unique attributes to him. Consequently, Quetzalcoatl is related to many names and incarnations, and seems to play a prominent role in a pantheon of virtually all the other Mesoamerican deities. Quetzalcoatl himself goes by the names of Gukumatz, Nine Wind, and Kukulcan among others. These are the most common names found in the general Aztec and Mayan cultures, with Quetzalcoatl maintaining a host of avatars with whom he is intimately connected with or represented by.
From this web page

quote:
Do you have a book?
Of poetry? Sure, I've got two or so-- Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass and Robert Frost's Collected Works.

[Smile]

Or did you mean my OWN poetry? Sadly, no. I have a Word document, though. Does that count?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not ALL Aztec/Mayan blood sacrifices went willingly, mind you. Captives taken in war were generally part of mass sacrifices to the gods -- especially Huitzilapoctli, IIRC -- for further military favor.

Basically, both religions believed that the gods only listened to you if you spilled blood, and only did you favors if you spilled a LOT of it. I would be very, very leery of connecting Aztec and Mayan blood cults to the LDS church in any way; it's not really a comparison I think you'd want to make.

[ September 02, 2004, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

We eat babies, Tom.

Human sacrifice is for pansies.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It is nice to see Hatrack back in form.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I know. It's been out of shape so long, I'd thought it'd never get its figure back. . .
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Too many babies?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
or perhaps too much (marshmallow) fluff?
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

You can never eat too many babies. Delicious, nutritious, and fun to catch.

Fluff? What fluff? Are you trying to start something, Megan?

[ September 02, 2004, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! [Big Grin] Unfortunately, however, I have to go to teach. Yeah, that's it...teach...

*runs away!*

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I hate to admit it, but I think the whole "eating babies" joke is getting more than a little long in the tooth. Want to retire it for something not quite so cliche?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

If you think eating babies gets old, you just haven't had it cooked right.

---

There's always the horns idea.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and besides... it is we Unitarian Universalists who eat babies. Sheesh.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

No, see, that one's not really comedy gold, either. For one thing, the whole "eating babies/horns" thing isn't actually a legitimate mainstream comment directed at Mormons, so it lacks real satirical value in the first place. And on this site, it's WAY overused, especially as a bit that wasn't particularly incisive to start with.

For self-deprecating humor -- or, in this case, humor that's pretending to be self-deprecating -- to work, you have to start with a premise that people find remotely credible or actually associate with the group in question. Jokes about coffee, seagulls, magic underwear, temple recommends, and beehives are therefore considerably more ripe for humor.

The "didn't you know we all have horns" makes a good one-off quip, but Mormons on this board treat it like a rich vein of humor instead of the strip-mined wasteland that it is. [Smile]

(Note: that said, Dag's response of "too many babies" WAS funny, because it took the cliche to an amusing conclusion. It's like the chicken crossing the road to do something useful.)

[ September 02, 2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Scott R
Member # 567

I'm keeping the joke alive to annoy you, Tom.
katharina
Member # 827

But you don't have another suggestion...
fil
Member # 5079

I want to be there in Heaven when God explains to Tom that we should have been eating babies all along.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Katie, I'm not about to start posting suggestions on jokes about Mormons that I think Mormons should find funny. [Smile] If calling the destruction of the entire planet an evil act is a controversial claim that spawns six pages of defensiveness, I'm not NEARLY brave enough to start making fun of home teachers.
Scott R
Member # 567

Who's defensive? I'm not defensive. Why is it always the other guy who's defensive? I'm not. It's him, right? Right?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
If calling the destruction of the entire planet an evil act is a controversial claim that spawns six pages of defensiveness
Interesting categorization.
katharina
Member # 827

Tom's dug in his heels, Dag. But he's very civilized about it. [Smile]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not even if you thought God asked you to?
I actually expected this question, and no. This is how my thinking goes. I don't personally believe that God talks audibly to people anymore, since we were given the Holy Spirit. And it would take a lot more than a niggle in my mind to get me to believe I was really supposed to kill someone.

I'm doing my best to follow God, but you don't kill someone unless you are very sure that's the only solution and I don't believe that God is ever going to make that clear enough to me that there is no doubt.

Truthfully, if something/someone came before me and told me to kill someone, and said they were a messenger of God, I'm not sure I'd believe them. There are two kinds of angels out there. : ) The Bible tells us to test all spirits to be sure they are from God. I think if someone came to me and directly ordered me to go do something that God had already told me not to do, or something that directly contradicted things God had already said, I'd have to wonder about the quality of the messenger. I mean, Satan's "angels" were originally just like the others, and they are pros at disguising and deceiving. My personal belief is that the only way you can tell a real messenger from a false one is by the message they give.

Besides, I also believe that 99% of what I need to know is in the Bible, and that, because I have the Scriptures to read, God guides me in small ways via the Holy Spirit. I don't need God to come down and tell me what to do straight out in every situation, because the Bible covers nearly everything I need to know.

This is not to say that I think God can't guide people more forcefully, I can't attest to another person's experience. And I don't necessarily believe that there can be no more revelations from God, but I still think it's necessary to compare the revelation to scripture we already have before accepting it. Does it expand, or contradict?

Now, because I know you will bring up the places in the Bible where God orders people to kill, let me say that I need to read those passages again before I get too deep into how I feel about them. I will say that, since the Holy Spirit became our main source of information from God, I don't believe that he comes to people and tells them things like that anymore.

I just don't see that it is something that's ever going to happen, or even meant to happen in the times we live in.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, and besides... it is we Unitarian Universalists who eat babies. Sheesh.
Yeah, you guys do a little bit of everything. [Smile]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Come now. Those that believe that the death of Jesus was necessary also believe that he was not a mere moretal.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

So the blood sacrifice of mere mortals is evil, but the blood sacrifice of gods made flesh is okay?
katharina
Member # 827

What's your objection to it?

It was voluntary. Hence the concept of martyr and why it was such a big deal.

beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
I would be very, very leery of connecting Aztec and Mayan blood cults to the LDS church in any way
It's kinda hard for there *not* to be a connection when The Book of Mormon is (probably) about their ancestors. Just because they twisted the true gospel of Christ into something so ugly and vile doesn't make me leery of connecting them. The sins of the ancient Americas are the responsibility of the individuals involved.
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
So the blood sacrifice of mere mortals is evil, but the blood sacrifice of gods made flesh is okay?
Considering it was absolutely, 100% necessary for the redemption of men, YES!
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a world of difference between dying to redeem man and dying to renew creation, Bev. Also, I don't know how fair it is to say that they're mimicking Christ just because their creation myth has someone dying to redeem/renew/create. That's a pretty common theme in creation myths from around the world (I believe). To me it sounds like you're stating with a conclusion and working toward the data rather than visa versa.

Of course, there's no real point in me bringing this up, is there?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Did you read the link I posted? [Wink]

I am not starting backwards. I have a book of scripture that talks about Christ visiting these people. It is obvious from all the evidence that symbols and stories of Christianity were widespread through the people of this continent. I am drawing a very logical conclusion.

Besides, considering how many centuries had passed since that visitation, it is astounding that anything at all would remain. I am impressed at how much evidence is actually there.

[ September 02, 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

fil
Member # 5079

quote:
It was voluntary
Really? I kind of thought he had no real choice in the matter. Or is this the "choose to have a safe, happy afterlife or BURN IN HELL!" sort of choice. You know, not really a choice. Or as Tom sort of put it the "Convert or Suffer!" choice that Christians offer in the after life or the Muslims offer in this one. [Big Grin] Not really a "two roads diverge" choice where the outcomes aren't quite so clearly defined.

fil

katharina
Member # 827

No, it was a choice. Christ volunteered for the job before the earth began, and even in the Garden of Gethsamane and on the cross, it was always voluntary. It was a self-sacrifice.
beverly
Member # 6246

My understanding was that because of Christ's sinless state, if He had not gone through with it, He alone would have been worthy of returning to God. All the rest of mankind would have been lost.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

*shrug*

Yeah, forget I mentioned it. It comes down to a differing opinion of The Book of Mormon, really. Something that isn't really reconcilable.

fil
Member # 5079

OMG, the Book of Mormon says that Christ visited the Mayans???!!! I really HAVE to read this book! And here, I merely thought it was time travelers from the far future. [Big Grin] That certainly does explain two more books of OSC to me now.

Honestly, this surprises the heck out of me. Is this seen as a tale meant to teach a lesson or is this seen as true history? Are there Mormons who see this story in two ways as Christians do the Bible? I mean, do some see it as truth in history only (fundamental) vs. those who see it as Truth in meaning, but not likely historically? Wow. When did Jesus (as a human? Another human? Ghost? Holes in hands?) do this visit? Was he born again in the body of a human as a baby or just "poof" showed up? Sorry for my naivete in this but dang...blew me away.

fil

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
It should also be noted that the people who took part in the actual betrayal, tormenting, and cricifixion were committing evil acts, even though God used those acts for a far geater good.

Dagonee

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

fil, in the interest of preserving this discussion, you should probably take that question to another thread. I'm pretty sure this thread will drown under the weight of The Book of Mormon replies. Actually, I'm reasonably sure there was a thread that talked about it recently. You could probably do a search for it.
fil
Member # 5079

Christ volunteered before the earth was formed? Well, it makes it an easier choice when a) you know you really do exist and b) you know you really will exist after the event. What makes choices tough is when you DON'T know the outcome for sure. That is choice with real consequences. This is why I have a hard time sympathizing with the "no mere mortal" Jesus. I have much more sympathy with Jesus as a human who was so devout in his belief that he made the ultimate sacrifice not knowing if he was right or wrong. For Jesus, already an fully realized immortal godbeing to say he will...continue to be so after some mucking around with the humans...well, it is like creating a religion around Bill Gates taking a day to go to the hunger shelter and fill soup bowls for dinner. Sure, the intent was nice but a) he didn't really sacrifice a whole lot and b) the next day, he is still the (nearly) richest man in the world.

And now we know one reason why there are so many versions of Christians in the world! [Smile]

fil

fil
Member # 5079

Bob, I thought this was a thread about Powell's wife being the devil? Seems just as on topic as the rest of the stuff! [Big Grin]

Good point though. Didn't read your post until after I posted my last question. But it mostly keeps in tune with the "fundamentalist view" of one's religion. Mostly.

fil

katharina
Member # 827

fil,

I'm trying to find another thread that talks about it, but it is a huge topic.

Here's a site created by a lay person (not definitive) that may be useful: http://www.jefflindsay.com/BOMIntro.shtml

Here's the answer from the church. It's less detailed, but more official and gives a jumping off point if you want more information: http://www.mormon.org/learn/0,8672,1090-1,00.html

beverly
Member # 6246

Fil, I don't know of any LDS who takes the story as anything but literal. Some background: the people originally came from Jerusalem. They were lead by God across the sea to the American Continents. There were others who were led there in a similar manner. They brought scriptures with them so that their descendants would not forget the commandments of God.

They believed in Christ and had prophets, visions, and miracles. They were taught that Christ would be born in the area of their origins, would be the Son of God, would suffer, heal others, and sacrifice His life to redeem man. When Christ was born, they had a sign given, a day a night and a day without darkness. A new star also (I assume the same star seen in the Old World).

At the time of Christ's death, there was a terrible cataclysm, much worse than anything recorded happening in the Old World. Following that were three days of darkness. Shortly after the darkness dissipated, Christ appeared to a large group of people in his ressurrected form, holes in his hands and feet and all. He spent several days with them, visiting different groups, teaching them. The account of his visit begins int 3rd Nephi chapter 11.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.