FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Last Post Thread, The Next Generation (Page 123)

This topic comprises 131 pages: 1  2  3  ...  120  121  122  123  124  125  126  ...  129  130  131   
Author Topic: The Last Post Thread, The Next Generation
MarekAgain
Member # 13484

- posted      Profile for MarekAgain           Edit/Delete Post 
I do really miss the pre-facebook days when the forum had so many posters and lurkers, you could get a wide variety of views and info on any subject in like a day
Posts: 108 | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Me 3.
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarekAgain
Member # 13484

despicable Me 3?
Posts: 108 | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

[ROFL]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

I've not yet seen that one. I liked the first two, is the third one worth watching? Reviews were less positive about it, compared to the first two movies.
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MarekAgain:
I do really miss the pre-facebook days when the forum had so many posters and lurkers, you could get a wide variety of views and info on any subject in like a day

Or most forums, for that matter. Most of the ones I knew and posted on are diminished.

Few quite to the point of this one (except those that are outright dead), but neither are they thriving.

But then again, this forum has unquestionably had a good run. It's been around for a long, long while now. At least the turn of the millennium, and quite possibly older. I was rereading some of the old landmark threads not long ago, and I was struck by a small mention in Tom's first landmark. Dan_raven remarks " Sometimes I wonder what I missed by arriving so late. " That post was made in late 2002, over 15 years ago, but even by then it had enough history that a newcomer might lament missing out on the good years before that.

Few things have a run like this, especially in this often ephemeral thing we call the internet. It's been a good run, most small online communities could ask for little better.

As they say. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

[ May 23, 2018, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: ricree101 ]

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

I hope Hatrack sticks around for a while yet.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Seconded. And we will do our part to make this happen by continuing to post in this high quality thread.
ricree101
Member # 7749

At this point, it's mostly just stubbornness.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

I come from a long line of very stubborn people.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

I hail from an area in my country that is noted for stubborn people. There is even a song about it.
Derrell
Member # 6062

Very cool.
ricree101
Member # 7749

I hate long lines.

Is there an express aisle?

Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Yes, but you can only use it if you're stubborn enough. Several trials must be overcome to get to the express aisle.
The first, and the most grating, of these trials is to bypass the dreaded store manager. With his unctiuous manners and soothing voice he will unceasingly try to persuade you make use of the regular registers. Once the store manager has been left behind, the adventurer will find that the signage pointing the way to the express aisle is purposely confusing, in many instances confusing an individual to such an extent that he or she unwittingly finds that they are back at the end of the line for the regular registers.
The third challenge lies in the fact that the express aisle is actually located on the third floor, and the adventurer will discover that the building has no escalators or elevators, only stairways that are unusually narrow and steep. On the landing between the second and third floor, the store manager will suddenly reappear to continue his efforts to dissuade you from using the express aisle.
When the adventurer finally finds himself or herself in sight of the express aisle, they will notice a very clear sign stating that the express aisle may only be used by people with a number of items lower than ten, exluding even numbers and prime numbers.
Having made it past all this, the adventurer will be rewarded with a swift exit by way of a slide leading directly to the parking lot.

Derrell
Member # 6062

It's fifteen items or less at the store where I work. Everything else is totally correct.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Cool! You have a slide? That would be a definite plus for me.
Derrell
Member # 6062

[Big Grin]
ricree101
Member # 7749

slides are nice
Derrell
Member # 6062

Yes.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Slide are nice, but ever since I was a kid I have preferred swings.
Derrell
Member # 6062

I like swings too. The problem is that the metal parts of the slides and swings get too hot this time of year. It's about 110 Fahrenheit right now. That's 43.3 Celsius.
ricree101
Member # 7749

Waterslides exist.

What/where are waterswings?

MarekAgain
Member # 13484

water wings are armbands (usually inflatable) that float and are intended to help children and poor swimmers keep their heads above water
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Waterswings are just regular swings, but situated next to a pool; this enables the user to jump off and enjoy a safe landing in the water.

Also, the heat problem could be solved by constructing the swing seat from wood and in stead of chains use rope.

Derrell
Member # 6062

I still wish it wouldn't get so hot here.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Yeah, I guess the high temperatures have an impact on more than just the easy enjoyment of playground attributes.
Derrell
Member # 6062

Yeah, and I have a job that requires working outside.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

You have my sympathy. On occasion I've had to deliver mail while it was over 30 degrees (C) outside. Not fun.
Derrell
Member # 6062

Yuck.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, there is an older thread than this one on the forums... [Smile]
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarekAgain
Member # 13484

i'm sure there are several threads older than this one
ricree101
Member # 7749

If nothing else, there's always the other Last Post thread.
MarekAgain
Member # 13484

the first post threat is a lot shorter
Derrell
Member # 6062

This is a seriously long thread.
MarekAgain
Member # 13484

hold this thread while i walk away
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Is this gonna be like 'pull my finger'?
Derrell
Member # 6062

Eww! Who pulled Mr. Y's finger? [Razz] [Wink]
MarekAgain
Member # 13484

i was going for Undone by Weezer, but whatever gets me the last post
Derrell
Member # 6062

OK.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Okelee-dokelee.
Derrell
Member # 6062

Neighborino.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Gran Torino
MarekAgain
Member # 13484

Cappuccino
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

My pet named Dino.
Derrell
Member # 6062

Yabba dabba doo.
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
I miss this place. It existed before I knew what I could do with it. It was so much a part of my life, and now it isn't.

I feel things right now.

...You know that you've been gone too long when not even DeerPark is posting any longer...

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
This one was one of my favorites of hers. (I think it was a her. I don't really know.)

If you carefully watch them,
things turn into themselves
in the twilight.

The air stills,
you might hear a call, to come home,
to come back, then

the sun's descent
tightens the sky
to chromatic membrane,

sheer indigo punctured
by pitchblack statues
of things not themselves:

trees, trunk and twig lattice
bled beyond blue-grey
recall only their absence:

exquisite incisions
cut from the dusk;
here, the black wellsprings
of nowhere

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarekAgain
Member # 13484

i like that poem, and there are a lot of people who i thought would always be posting, but seem to have left
Derrell
Member # 6062

OSC doesn't even post here anymore. I remember getting excited when he posted in my thread about being allergic to the sun.
  This topic comprises 131 pages: 1  2  3  ...  120  121  122  123  124  125  126  ...  129  130  131   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.