FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lifelines: I am OUT :-( (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Lifelines: I am OUT :-(
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
So there's an outside possibility that Cor or I will be on Who Wants to be a Millionaire in January--the Meredith Vieira version of the show, that is--and I'm trying to line up phone-a-friends. Hatrack, of course, is where most of the most brilliant people I know hang out. So I'm wondering if anybody here can commit to helping me out.

What I need: people who're willing to stay home all day on Saturday, January 15, who're very knowledgeable about something specific, or stuff in general. Multiple Hatrackers hanging out together at one phone number would be awesome.

[ January 14, 2006, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I would do it for you, if you want me to.

I am pretty good at these sort of things, and am a good jack-of-all-trades kind of guy. I also have a fairly deep knowledge of World Lit, or at least I did, and my wife speaks 5 languages and has a photographic memory. I will see if she has that weekend off, and if she does we would be a pretty darn good team....also we could host a few people from Hatrack if anyone wanted to come down for it, to increase the "talent pool" so to speak.

I am fairly weak in math though, and while I am a little better than average in science I am not real strong there either, nor is Jenni.

In the soft sciences though, we both rock....to the point that no one will play Trivial Pursuit against us, even one on one. Might have something to do with Jenni memorizing the first edition cards when she was sick in the hospital years ago.... [Evil]

Good Luck!

Kwea

[ December 26, 2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
No way! [Big Grin]

I'm useful for medicine, but not much else. I'll check the calendar regardless.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm.... "be my lifeline..." for some reason, I'm thinking of Alice Cooper now.

Feed my Frankenstein
Hungry for love and it's feeding time!

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could pick just one person to be my life line, it would probably be kayla and/or Rivka. These ladies can look stuff up in a flash. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
We did have a recent spate of Dark Ages without Kayla. And heaven forbid rivka take a break from us.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I could certainly stay home and be available but I'm not sufficiently confident in my abilities to net you the million =)

I do play Millionaire "Ask the Audience" via instant messenger when they're filming (although I have to admit that I've not yet seen a weekend film schedule) and I'm batting about .750 overall.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Arrgh. I'm likely not around that day - this would be fun. I could have helped out on at least one topic, I think.

Good luck. I hope you get on.

If you get to the last question with all 3 lifelines, you've got it.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh hey, and what about having everyone in a chat room for the lifeline to chat with - in a hurry with no pleases or thank yous - in case of backup need?

Seriously, that's a great idea, if I do say so myself! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

It is. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, that is very exciting! If a group of us in the area can get together that day, I'd be all for that.
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara and Tom could probably get in the same room, and that would be worth it. Short of them, if it were me, I'd take The Rabbit.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well, I can have more than one person on my list.

But yeah, getting people together, preferably in person but online as well, is high on my list of preferences.

[Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally would, and I'm usually home all or most of Saturday -- but I can't use the phone then.

That's ok -- looks like you already have volunteers FAR more knowledgeable than me!

Good luck getting on, Ic and Cor! Knock 'em dead! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations and good luck. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Icky--that's awesome
2. Kwea, JenniK speaks FIVE LANGUAGES?!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Hobbes . . . mack . . . no offers of help?

[No No]

Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that show was still running. Wow! That'd be very cool.

Sadly, I'll be at work all day on the 15th.

Where's Ken Jennings (sp?) when you need him? [Razz]

[ December 26, 2004, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Godric ]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll help but we don't know anything.

Actually, I know some things about YOU!!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
But you probably know them too, so you won't need Bob. [Razz]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
In this case Icky, you really don't want my help, I'm afraid I don't know anything. [Embarrassed]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If a biking question comes up, you want Hobbes.

Fencing - Mack.

Dogs - AJ.

Science - fugu, rivka, Sara, sheesh - we have a bunch.

I'm leaving out a ton of experts and areas of expertise, I know, but Hatrack is quite well versed.

Maybe just have everyone in chat at a particular time.

There's also a bunch of talented googlers here.

But if an OSC question comes up you better not need a lifeline.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Dana, you never know, I could get a theology question I don't know . . .

Bob, you would be great for history--weren't you there for most of it? [Razz]

Hobbes, this from the man who starts all kinds of "Cousin Hobbes on ___" threads, whose girlfriend is the expert on art and world cultures? Okay, I see how it is . . .

-o-

The chat idea is a good one for a fallback, but it, along with googling answers, has a problem. Thirty seconds is not a lot of time. I know, because I am a regular player of the game at MGM Studios (for pins and prizes, not for money) and even back at DCA back when they still had it there ( [Grumble] ). It usually takes a fast person a good ten seconds to get the question and answer choices read. If the listener knows the answer, great. If the listener asks to have the choices repeated, you're pretty much out of luck. I have also been on the phone myself when other people have been in the hot seat, and tried to repeat the question to another person standing next to me. Trying to listen while repeating it and convey an answer back, all within thirty seconds, is harder than you think. Now, with AIM and google, you're looking at hearing the question and typing it in and getting a response back . . . frankly, I'm not sure it can be done. Still, I think it's a good idea to try, because anything that can increase the number of brains at a single phone number has got to be worth a shot. But if I call somebody and he or she knows the answer, I wouldn't want that person to waste time trying to type stuff. That's how you get people going "Huh?" as the thirty seconds expires.

Anyway, once this thread has been around for two or three days and we have a list of who is really willing to help, I will probably contact each of you by e-mail or something and ask you for your phone numbers. It seems to me that it might be a good idea for me to call you once before the fifteenth, so that I don't find myself on the show calling somebody whose voice I've never heard before.

Having all participants be in an aim chat during the time might be a good idea too, if they are willing and able.

I imagine I would be able to call at least one of you before entering the taping, and upon leaving, in case I don't get in the hot seat, or get out without using the lifeline.

There might also be confidentiality rules, like you might not be able to tell people what level of question you were asked. I'm pretty sure contestants agree not to disclose how far they went.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Hmm . . . I wonder if OSC--or kacard--would be a lifeline.

There would be two great lifelines at one house.

[Smile]

[ January 03, 2005, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm good for vegetable farming, but I kinda doubt that'll come up as a category...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yep, Jenni is fluent in 5 languages....Spanish, French, Japanese, Italian, and ASL.

I can understand a little French, but I don't remember most of the 3 years I took it in high school.

But I scored in the top 1% (my total score was 98/99% possible) in the soft sciences...although that was 10 years ago, or more.....still, only 1% (it only went up to 99%) of the whole country scored higher than I did on the ACT in that area of knowledge. I was bored in every psychology class I ever had in college, which is why I quit...I realized that while I like learning about it I didn't want to work in the field at all.

And if it is a question about fantasy novels, I would pick me in a second...I have an extensive knowledge of it.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ December 26, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
But I scored in the top 98% in the soft sciences . . .
um . . .

[Wink]

Kwea
Member # 2199

LOL..

i never saifd I could type well..that is what happens when an old dog tries to learn new tricks..... [Big Grin]

Make that the top 1%....lol....

[ December 27, 2004, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
That is SO cool!

When would it air?

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If you were in the 98th percentile you were in the top 2 percent [Razz] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Sometime in February, if I recall correctly.

So, um, Fugu . . . I see that you clearly have observed the existence of this thread . . .

:-|

[ December 26, 2004, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, it may be possible for me to be available. That is the day before my birthday, though [Smile] .

edit: ooh, and if I were called, I'd have to resist the urge to call you "Icky".

I'd be happy to at the least stay around in a chat room much of the day to be part of whomever is called's collective wisdom, assuming nothing big comes up.

[ December 26, 2004, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've read this.

But unless they ask you some crazy farm-animal question, Icky, I'm not sure we'd be of much help....

[Big Grin] FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm echoing Irami -- trap Sara and Tom in the same room with a speakerphone and one other person who can try googling in the time allotted. Otherwise, run with Fugu for science, Dag for law/Catholicism if he's available, unquestionably Hobbes for biking trivia...

And for Mexican culture, you have me. I can rattle off almost half of the menu at Taco Bell! Viva Lalo!

Good luck, pookie. If you win, I supported you the entire way and doubtless deserve a sizable cash reward or at least something German with wheels.

By which I mean the option that's not a foreign hooker on rollerblades.

Heh, again, good luck, kid.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to be in a chat room part of the day, I have lots of animal knowledge, and quite a bit about cars, though my dad knows more, he's always in the room

edit for lalo: we have a german on wheels for sale, it's a 79 bug with no engine, probably in your price range too.

[ December 26, 2004, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: breyerchic04 ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be much help, or I'd offer.

And I DO know a bit more than fencing, and Ken knows more about fencing than I do.

Photography, I can help you out there. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

If it is LOTR, pick me.

I just smoked JenniK by answering 8 questions right in a row during LOTR Trivial Pursuit.... [Big Grin]

[ December 27, 2004, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's about Islam, Fahim's your guy. He's also fluent in 5 languages. English, Sinhala, Tamil, Hindi, and Arabic. Well, he doesn't consider himself fluent in Arabic, but then, he doesn't call himself fluent in Tamil either, and he can speak to absolutely anyone who speaks that language and be understood, so I don't know what his hang up is. Oh, and I'm also gonna mention - cuz I like being a show off [Big Grin] that all of those five languages have different alphabets, so that makes him even more impressive. [Big Grin]

If it's about Mennonites, count me in. Although I can't imagine a question on Mennonites ever coming up. Um, er, do I know anything that's useful? [Dont Know]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, you know how to stay dry in a tsunami....that has to count for something... [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ December 27, 2004, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, did you get the "how many times does the ring bounce when it abandons Gollum?" question yet? [Wink]

I know some stuff, although I can't imagine I'd be incredibly helpful.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Of the things that haven't been mentioned, I know greek mythology. I scored 3rd at the national junior classical league convention one year. I know a fair bit about alternative health. Possibly we could juggle a clump party that day. What time are you looking at? I also know a lot about photography and linguistics... as I once bemoaned I'm not very unique on Hatrack. I'm pretty good at actors and movies.

Just don't overload your thinker memorizing who to call in case of what sort of question. That would be rather counterproductive. What do they do if someone isn't home?

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus,

Please call me for the following topics:

Knitting
Eating
Weight loss programs
American Idol 2004
Growing chile peppers
Charlotte Bronte's novel "Villette"

Sorry, that is all I am qualified for.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, how cool! If anyone in the area was doing a gathering for this, I would most definitely go. It would be fun!

quote:
I do play Millionaire "Ask the Audience" via instant messenger when they're filming
I must do this! Can you give me details, Goody?
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:I do play Millionaire "Ask the Audience" via instant messenger when they're filming

I must do this! Can you give me details, Goody?

http://millionairetv.com/
Information is on the right side about halfway down. Once you sign up for it, you put MillionaireIM onto your AIM buddy list, and when they have a question, you get an IM message. You answer, and after a minute or so they send you the right answer and the dollar value of the question. They don't tell you how the contestant answered, though.

[ December 27, 2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I could answer questions about sinkholes, consolidation theory or maybe appropriate pile-driving equipment.

When you call a phone-a-friend, are they allowed to put it on speaker phone so everyone in the room can hear the question?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

No, I haven't seen that one. To be honest I have already found 3 mistakes in the cards......they keep refering to teh movie on questions, even when the catigory isn't movies.

I broke out the book and proved my self correct three times... [Big Grin]

That is why I didn't want the DVD editions, which is completely based on the movies. I vastly prefer the books.

Kwea

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be less like a lifeline and more like a First Aid Kit where most of the items are either outmoded or out of date. But call me with any drug questions!
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

JenniK is also a Pharm Tech...not as useful as Alucard in that area, but a good fall-back area for her.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You have the greatest adventures, Ick! What fun! I would offer up my services in the field of early childhood education, but I will be celebrating Nathan's 11th birthday with him that day! Good luck to you and Cor! [Smile]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Just got an invite in my e-mail to be in the audience for the shows taping that week. I'd have to put up with sitting in the audience for 5 hours at a time (they're taping 20 shows from Jan 12-16) but I'd get a free park pass for whichever day I volunteer for. Hmmm...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.