FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lifelines: I am OUT :-( (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Lifelines: I am OUT :-(
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
So the Utah clump are the only people I know for sure are in right now. *sigh*
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, they want to have this family dinner thing before I leave for school, and I think I'm leaving Sunday...
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

These are my freewritten notes, transferred over from notepad. Let me know if anything needs to be updated:

quote:
Greg? Serious? in the Utah clump?

*UTAH CLUMP (who is taking point?): Jon Boy, Ruth, Pooka, weezer? Jennie? STRENGTHS: language(s?), fashion, art, current celebrities, cooking, knitting, music (ed & history)

Pat??

KATHARINA (& Matt): science, nature, celebrities, sports (which sports?), history (how strong?) (Are you out because of landlines?)

CT (& Tom, Christy, and David? Sophie?): Medicine, philosophy (right?), what else? Are you seriously in?

KETCHUPQUEEN (& hubby; other SoCalers? Ketchupkingdad?): animal stuff, tax law, sports trivia (which sports?) (old pop music?)

KWEA (& Jenni): English Lit, deaf culture, Disney, FOREIGN LANGUAGES but --- are you in? Oh crud, you don't have a landline. Drat, I really could have used a polyglot.

Lyrhawn: History

HectorVictor: science: physics, astronomy, chemistry, and biology (Do the times work for you?)

kojabu: Buddhism, Daoism (out?)

I put an astrisk by the Utah Clump because they're the only people I know are seriously in.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Huh, I wasn't going to stalk the Cards like I did last year, since I never got any feedback, but if I can't get five people anyway, what have I got to lose?
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Greg on your list GC greg? As in, my brother?

Also, you can add basic German and French to the list for me and Jon Boy (respectively).

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Ok, I just checked with my dad and I'm sorry Icky, but he said we're probably going tomorrow. [Frown] I wish you the best of luck though! And if only I could be on standby on a cellphone...
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yes. He posted in the GC thread, but I don't know if he will be with you, or available at all . . .
Icarus
Member # 3162

You know, there's nothing in the rules that state that phone-a-friends have to be at domestic telephone numbers . . .
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck Icarus!
I just found this thread, sorry I couldn't help you out. My expertise is in Multimedia and shows like LOTR and Harry Potter..OH! and Mormon Cinema [Big Grin] . But I know you won't have any problems with any math!

So is it airing on Saturday too? Believe it or not I just got cable (need tv for those Olympics!)

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure he was kidding. I can't imagine him knowing anything about celebrities. He does know a lot about planes and flying, though, but I doubt you'd need info on that.

He might come, but don't count on his celebrity expertise.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

No, it will air some week in April or May. (They tape a week's worth of episodes each day.)
Icarus
Member # 3162

If you are in, would you e-mail me your contact information, including address? (No, I don't know why.)

If you are part of a clump, please tell me who the contact person for the clump is. Whom should I ask for?

Brinestone
Member # 5755

I'll PM you on GC, Icarus.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'm going to start posting interesting questions I encounter while playing the computer game or the online game. (I don't need you to Google, I'm doing it just for fun.)

So answer off the top of my head, and I'll tell you who gets it right. [Smile]

quote:
What continent has the most countries?
A) Europe
B) Asia
C) Africa
D) South America

Who's strong in geography?
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Who designed the Gateway Arch in St. Louis?
A) I. M. Pei
B) Buckminster Fuller
C) Frank Lloyd Wright
D) Eero Saarinen

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
The 1970s Japanese singing sensations Mie and Key were better known by what name?
A) Lotus Blossoms
B) Pink Lady
C) Cibo Matto
D) Good Sing Good

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, I will check with Tom & Christy, but I can definitely be available myself. I think they will be available, too. (Will post on for-sures tonight.)

Me: Philosophy, medicine, chemistry, biology, Leonard Cohen (at this point, I doubt there is anyone who is more familiar with all published works of and about him, including several decades' worth of audio and film clips, as well as literary analysis -- but alas, unlikely to be of use to you [Big Grin] ), mathematics, song lyrics, 60s and 70s culture. Hmm. I'll keep thinking.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Textiles. Food culture and history of cuisine. Comparative zoology.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:
The 1970s Japanese singing sensations Mie and Key were better known by what name?
A) Lotus Blossoms
B) Pink Lady
C) Cibo Matto
D) Good Sing Good

Not (c) -- they are recent. [gratuitous Buffy reference] I'd guess (b).
kojabu
Member # 8042

Continent: Africa?
Architect: Fuller?

Icarus
Member # 3162

Africa and Pink Lady are correct. Fuller (my choice too >_< ) is not.
kojabu
Member # 8042

It's not Pei is it?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I can Google up a storm, but I cannot give good answers to the other questions off the top of my head. I'd guess Pei for minimalism (Saarinen second, for clean Scandinavian lines) and Africa. Asia is huge, but it haas some big countries. (?)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

It isn't Pei. *sigh
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Which of the following artists is most famous for his still life paintings?
A) Winslow Homer
B) Norman Rockwell
C) Wasily Kandinsky
D) Paul Cezanne

kojabu
Member # 8042

So Saarinen?

Um... Homer?

Icarus
Member # 3162

Yes to Saarinen.

No to Homer. (Again, my choice. >_<)

Googling shows that Homer painted almost exclusively people.

-o-

hansenj is right [Smile]

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Cezanne [Smile]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
The current thread title takes me back to high school. I can just see you in the front on the class, Icarus, saying that to a group of students about an outing or some kind of assignment.

"If you decided to do the extra credit, I need you to turn in your ideas for the essay by THIS FRIDAY."

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
The Superbowl's most valuable player award is named for what football legend?
A) Vince Lombardi
B) George Halas
C) Pete Rozelle
D) Bart Starr

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Which of these is an Ivy League School?
A) Duke
B) MIT
C) Stanford
D) Cornell

quote:
What musical instrument did comedian Jack Benny regularly play in his act?
A) Violin
B) Accordion
C) Piano
D) Banjo

hansenj
Member # 4034

Don't know anything about football. But just in case you remember the names from that art question when it matters:

Homer: American painter, 19th century (I think), painted people and landscapes

Rockwell: American illustrator, painted the covers for the Saturday Evening Post in the 40s and 50s

Kandinsky: abstract painter, definitely non-representational

Cezanne: french, late impressionist/post-impressionist, painted mostly still life and landscape

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

So, um, you signing up? [Wink]
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Jack Benny played a banjo.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

And here I thought both Duke and Stanford were Ivy League...oops!
Icarus
Member # 3162

No to banjo.
hansenj
Member # 4034

I'll probably be at the Utah clump...plans haven't solidified (I'm Jennie from GC).
Boon
unregistered

I was wrong.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Oh! (To Jennie; not being sarcastic.)
Boon
unregistered

I know the answer now, but does Googling qualify?
Icarus
Member # 3162

Nah . . . you can assume I already Googled or otherwise found out before posting it.
Boon
unregistered

[Smile]
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'm going to go pick up Subway for dinner before posting anymore.
Boon
unregistered

Architect: Wright
Boon
unregistered

Dang it, wrong there, too. See, this is why I didn't sign up. [Razz]
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Football: GUESS: Lombardi
Ivy League: GUESS: Stanford
And Jack Benny played the violin.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Winslow Homer is best known for seascapes--men in boats, that sort of thing.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

MIT is the only Ivy League school on the list.

I'm pretty sure the architect is Frank Lloyd Wright, but I wouldn't bet too much money on it.

Jack Benny played accordion, as far as I know, which I really don't.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

Huh. It was the violin. I knew he was a comedian, so I assumed the most comedic instrument. I must have been mixing him up with Spike Jones.

Edit: And we were all wrong about the Ivy League school. A quick google search of "Ivy League Schools" says that Cornell is the right answer.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I knew Cezanne and Cornell, missed the violin, and have no idea about football.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.