FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For the last time-- it's JATRAQUEROS! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: For the last time-- it's JATRAQUEROS!
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Not 'Hatrackers!'

Bleh!

[Taunt]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
yes dad.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't we be both ?
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

No.

Don't be silly.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I spell "Jatraquero" wrong, and it's not in spellcheck. Is it okay to spell it wrong, on occasion?
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Then why ?
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care. I say, let people call themselves what they want, be it Jatraquero, Hatracker, Hatcracker or Orson's Number One Fan.

What are you really, Scott. Eh? Didn't I read something about frozen custard and comic books somewhere around here?

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Who am I?

2-4-6-0-OOOOOOOOOOONE!

[Taunt]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna, what would it be in French?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Scott was OSC's #2 fan, because being #1 was just creepy.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I'm not his number one fan, no matter what I might have said, or what I might yet say.

I am his most inscrutable fan, as I pointed out in my 'Random Mutterings of Me' thread.

In fact, I'm just plain inscrutable to everyone.

Sara may try, but I have my anti-scrute armor, +3 vs. Rational People, on at all times.

David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Please continue using jatraqueros. aka and I receive a penny every time you do.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should just call ourselves 'hats'. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Perhaps you should explain, oh venerable one, why it shouldn't be Hatrackers. Some of us newer members don't know why it's that way, and perhaps we shall respect your ancient tradition more if you explain it. [Razz]

space opera, bowing low before the Old Ones of Hatrack

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
bowing low before the Old Ones of Hatrack
I wouldn't do that . . . it makes it too easy for them to whack you on the back of the neck with their canes.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Or to insert their probiscuseses into your head and slurp your brain out.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
It is tradition, young braves, and the People respect tradition unquestioningly...
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Because 'Jatraqueros' looks more sophisticated and sounds better than 'Hatrackers.'

Duh.

Plus, David and aka get a penny every time it's used. And, with both of them being in the deep south, they need all the money they can get.

Poor things. Do it for David and his eight dogs.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly rivka! I was bowing low 'cause I have a laser in the top of my head. All the better to disintegrate them with and all.

There's a new Hatracker Sheriff in town.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this thread has gotten surprisingly violent.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hatracker Sheriff
Member # 7219

- posted      Profile for Hatracker Sheriff           Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay, purty lady. I will take good care of Hatrack, and protect against evil-doers. Stay on my good side, and you shall never feel the skin-dissolving sting of my laser.

Hatrack Sheriff

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

[ROFL]
I like Space Opera too much to do that, but if no one sings "I shot the sheriff" I would be quite surprised.
BTW, we should be Hatrackois. Or Hatrackiens.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hatracker Sheriff
Member # 7219

Crap. Perhaps I should change my name to "Hatracker Deputy."

Hatracker Sheriff

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Sounds less risky to me.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I never liked jatraqueros, and I've never used it other then to point out I don't like it. I don't really feel any strong need to "spanglify" myself, because I feel absolutely no identification with hispanic culture or language. I think most of us here aren't hispanic, and don't have any real connection to the culture, and one of the aspects of american culture I find to be most idiotic is the attempt to belong to another culture in order to be "cool."
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Hatrackois or Hatrackiens would be WICKED cool because no one in America does names people from a place that way.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Jatraqueros, I currently own the domain rights for jatraqueros.com and jatraqueras.com. If anybody would like to do something with them, let me know.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

How comes ?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*Does not like the word "scrute"*
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

I think this post shows your true colors, Scott:

quote:

Dear Orson Scott Card:

Orson, I'm your number one fan.

I know everything about you.

Please share some frozen custard with me, and I'll show you my comic book collection.

Sincerely,

Scott R

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002609
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Speaking of cities I have lived in in France...

People who live in Lille are Lillois, right?

How about Arras, Luneville, and Mulhouse?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

It always depends on the town, we don't have one unique form because the way people who lived in this town called themselves evolved with language. People living in Paris are parisiens, for exemple, and people who live in Marseille marseillais, people who live in Pau are pallois, and so on and so on. So you don't really have a way to guess it if you don't know it.

[ January 06, 2005, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was alwasy fond of "Hatrackites", but I'm afraid that I was the only one. These days I generally use "Hatracker".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an OSC-fan. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

He's OSC-Fan !
Burn him !

Scott R
Member # 567

Amka--

Stop being silly.

It's uncalled for, really it is.

:disappointed:

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought we should be Card-iacs.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

Your anti-scrute armor has no power over irrational pregnant ladies.

Hah!

Hatracker Sheriff
Member # 7219

mph/osc-fan, I'm gonna have to put you in the stocks till we get this settled. So get along, little doggie, and remember....I have a laser in my head.

Yeee-haw! We're a'havin' us a Hatracker trial!

Hatracker Sheriff

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Orsonite!

[Wave]

Anna
Member # 2582

We should try to know if he weights like a duck.
And if so...
BURN HIM !

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
"Card-iacs". [ROFL]

I don't see what's with the whole "Jatraquero" thing anyway. Why on earth would we need to say "Hatracker" in artificial Spanish? I prefer "Hatracker". It's English, it's easier to spell, and it's gender neutral.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh Paul, I really don't think people that refer to the community as a bunch of "Jatraqueros" are in any way trying to "Spanglify" anyone... [Roll Eyes]

I think most people who use the word just think it sounds cool. Ahhhh, the simplicity of our tiny minds. [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Verily, didn't you hear? Anglo Saxon is so last season.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I like them both, but I never remember how to spell Jaquertieos....see?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Anglo-Saxon is always in.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a tip of the hat to the portugeeseish culture found on Lusistania (sp? I have a raging headache) Sort of like we were a different form of sentient life like the porquenos(sp? -headache)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"Uh Paul, I really don't think people that refer to the community as a bunch of "Jatraqueros" are in any way trying to "Spanglify" anyone..."

Maybe not trying to spanglify anyone, but thats exactly whats happening. Take an english word, transliterate it into spanish, add a spanish ending, for purposes of sounding and looking cool?

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

YES!

Duh!

And Jatraqueros/as/a/o DOES sound cooler than Hatracker.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.