FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For the last time-- it's JATRAQUEROS! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: For the last time-- it's JATRAQUEROS!
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just figured out to whom the original post was addressed.

[Eek!]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, pretty much. Betwen '96 and '99 (and even a fair bit beyond) I was pretty much a lurker. I was "Erik" in Battle School way at the eginning, and I dabbled in some Hatrak River 1830s. I remember the Hansens and Waltons of the world (especially if someone else mentions them [Smile] . WAAAY back, in the first incarnation of the board, I posted under my actual name, I think. And despite what TomD thinks, it was in a format that pre-dates the ML that you see in the Wayback machine (archive.org), though it may just have been an early version of BML.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But simply because I'm sassy I will point out that on Hatrack's main page there is a letter to "Hatrackers" from OSC.
I'm glad you mentioned that, SO, because I never would of noticed it on my own. [Smile]

[edit]
I know "Jatraquero" predates me when I first started posting here in... what? 2002? I remember some of the "old mythos" referenced by the vetrans. I was eated by Slash (crispied, first, I believe). I remember Thor ranting in all capital letters. I remember a few uproars, although the details I cannot reacal.

[ January 06, 2005, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
If "Jatraquero" is supposed to be Portuguese, then it doesn't contain any noise resembling the "H" of "Hatrack". The Portuguese "J" makes a "zh" sound, like in French.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly enough, that's how I pronounce the term "Jatraquero" anyway, although I know it is supposed to be an "h".
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If "Jatraquero" is supposed to be Portuguese, then it doesn't contain any noise resembling the "H" of "Hatrack". The Portuguese "J" makes a "zh" sound, like in French.
This is true. If it were Portugese, it should be Ratraquero.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
A portuguese "r" sounds like an english "h"?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Only if it's at the beginning of a word.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
You all don't remember David_Bowles and his legendary debates with Jacare Sorridente on the inferiority of the Portuguese language, but trust me, jatraqueros is not Portuguese.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks cooler anyway. Maybe we should call ourselves Ratraqueros from now on. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Sounds good to me.

<-- ratraquero

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Boo yeah, keep those royalty checks rolling in. They are what enables me to live in this luxurious splendor to which I am accustomed. <waves arms around vaguely at second-hand cat-clawed furnishings>

Actually, I think I am one of the worst offenders. I generally find myself saying "hatrackers", mainly because it's gender neutral. I think jatraqueros/as is extremely cool, though, and am tickled to be considered co-creator of the term, though I really think David Bowles should take full credit.

What I really really want, in lieu of the enormous sums in royalties that are due to me and currently outstanding, is one of those "kiss me, I'm a jatraquera" t-shirts from kamacon. I am very sorry I missed the opportunity to get one of those when they were going. They look great on everyone in the pictures.

A certain baby brother of mine is reported to have one, even, despite the gender bending implications. <makes puppy eyes> <suggests the possibility of homemade cookies in someone's future>

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Tatiana -- what other screen names have you used? Who are you?

The word Jatraquero *is* gender-neutral.

[ January 06, 2005, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

That's anne kate.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter, she's none other than Anne Kate, aka aka.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Curse you, Icarus, and you speedy fingers!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Thanks.

<-- ratraquero

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I want a T-shirt like that, too.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Porter, don't you know me?

It's supposed to be gender neutral, like the phrase "man forging his destiny", but it still would feel weird to use that as the title of a statue of a pregnant chick with a baby on one hip and a toddler by the hand, you know? So it's not REALLY gender-neutral, cause most people who saw a statue like that would probably think the nondepicted father was the person named in the title.

Anna, now if we can just get together 8 more people who want one, we could do another run on cafepress for a reasonable price! Otherwise, (and assuming we can pry one loose from Noah or someone else), I defer to you, since having a t-shirt like that which is not in the native language of the county in which you reside would just be so so cool! [Big Grin]

[ January 07, 2005, 03:21 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
*poof*

*takes credit for the idea of putting the phrase on a t-shirt*

*poof*

(Too bad the thread that proves it no longer exists. [Dont Know] )

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Wait. Does that mean that the "Rio" in "Rio de Janeiro" is pronounced "Hio"?
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I consider myself a Jatraquero, a small part of a diverse community of many Jatraqueri . . .
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Verily, yes. It's really pronounced "Hio je Janayro."

I can't bring myself to pronounce it like that to anyone anymore because I always get strange looks. [Frown]

Jemmy, what language is "Jatraqueri?" Latin? [Wink]

(It's funny, my beginning sentence looks like I'm beginning my own scripture writing career. *snicker*)

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the proper term is "Hatcracker," as we all know.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

*snort*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Narnia, lol! "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, a D in Portuguese is sometimes pronounced with a J sound."

That would explain why Saudade sounds like sowdajee. I've always wondered that!

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oh, I thought it was "hatcrackhead".
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Smile] at aka

Js are pronounced in portuguese too, which is why I pronounce "Jatraqueros" wrong in my head most of the time. I say it with a soft j sound and everyone else uses the "h." Too bad. [Razz]

Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, just because our beloved Bean is living an Araraquara, it doesn't mean that we must speak the same language as him...

I know, it's the most convenient way of imitating one of the most intruiging characters ever invented, but it is also quite pathetic.

If you're trying to be original, I strongly reccomend...

Hairy Trackers.

-Beanny

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Portuguese pronunciation is darned tricky. And I want to actually learn this accursed language?

Not that I'm going to pronounce "Rio de Janeiro" any differently in English speech, mind you. "Rio day Zha-narrow" is the established pronunciation in English, and the only one most English speakers will even understand. But still, it's useful knowing how actual Brazilians would say it.

quote:
Jemmy, what language is "Jatraqueri?" Latin?
Only if the singular form were "Jatraquerus". Which, I should point out, would be pronounced "Yatra-queroos". Yes, the Latin "qu" is the same as the English "qu". If we wanted to make a Latin form of "Hatracker", I think it would probably be "Hatracerus". Plural "Hatraceri". Feminine "Hatracera". Feminine plural "Hatracerae". The Latin "H" makes the same sound as English, and the "C" is always hard (think "K" sound), even before an "E".

*Tries to think of a language where the singular "O" becomes a plural "I".*

Ah, I've got it! Italian! Of course, we have the same "J" problem with Italian, in that the Italian "J" sounds, not like an English "H", but like an English "Y".

But then, there is as little reason to render it into Italian or Latin as into Spanish. If we must use any non-English language, Portuguese makes the most sense. This is OSC, after all.

So yeah, I think I'd prefer to stick with "Ratraquero". [Big Grin]

JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. And I thought I was smart. [Hail] I have to go retreat to my little world of self-delusionment now. Back to Yatrack River.

[ January 08, 2005, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: JemmyGrove ]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hatrack'll do that to you Jemmy! Welcome to the forums, by the way--don't think I've greeted you directly.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Who cares what word gets used? As long as it looks like it contains some derivative of the word "hatrack" in it when you're looking at it sideways, you'll know what it means.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Wait a minute Verily, the "c" in Hatraceri would be a "ch" sound, would it not? In church latin I believe that's the case. In Germanic latin we'd probably hear a "ts" sound so it would sound like "A-tra-tse-ree." (I've never ever pronounced the "H" as an english H. I've always been told that it's supposed to be silent.)
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Ah, but the pronunciation of "Church" Latin is based on Italian. The Catholic Church today pronounces Latin, not as Latin, but as if it were a form of Italian. I was referring to Classical Latin. The Latin as spoken by the Roman civilization itself, such as Cicero used to such devastating effect.
Narnia
Member # 1071

So they used he "h" sound? Really???

Well, as long as we've gotten that cleared up. [Wink]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Yes, the "H" in classical Latin was pronounced. If we could go back in time and write the word "Hatracerus", show it to Cicero, and ask him to say it out loud, he would say "Hatrakeroos". I'm not sure how the "H" became silent in most (or all?) of the modern Romance languages, but in Latin it was not.
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

Thanks Neomon. I've been a closet Jatcraquejed for years, and I've decided I'd like to try to break out of my shell.

Incidentally, I take great delight in mixing my linguistics -- since I often don't know how to say it right I figure I'll just say something that sounds like it could be right somewhere. Which leaves a great deal of leeway.

Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to this fine thread, I *finally* understand what all this "Jatraquero" business. (I was lost, believe you me.) I think it's quite fun. It rolls off the tongue. I've been saying it to myself over and over on and off for about a day now, just because it's so fun to say. [Smile]
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That's interesting Jemmy. It would be odd to be in a situation where you felt like you knew everybody else in the room fairly well, but none of them knew you. Tell us a bit about yourself!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Portuguese pronunciation is darned tricky.
Not really. It's a bit more complicated then, say, Spanish, but it is extremely regular. Once you know the rules, there's nothing else to learn. If you see a Portugese word written down, there is only one way it can be pronounced. There are almost no irregularly pronounced words in Portuges.

It mostly works the other way, but not quite. There's one sound I think of that has three different ways of spelling it, but that's it. Other than that, it's simple to know how to spell a word if you know how to pronounce it.

Narnia
Member # 1071

Noeman, here is a little bit about JemmyGrove.

I just feel special because he's alREADY a good friend of mine, so I want to share the wealth. [Smile]

[edit: DRAT! I can't link directly to a post. I'm a moron.]

[ January 10, 2005, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

Was there something wrong with your link? Worked fine for me.

Neomon, I really don't feel like I know many people very well. I recognize lots of screen names, and quite a few of your screen 'voices' are familiar to me (I tend to gravitate toward peacemaker types and I'm afraid of those who seem to enjoy stirring up controversy). I'm constantly impressed by the community here. Jatraqueros are so dang smart! And civil. And compassionate.

Narnia beat me to linking my introduction post, which is good since I don't yet know how to link. I tend to be introverted, although my social needs are really strong. I can be very open about personal things and sensitive issues. Still single, no family yet, expect that'll change eventually. I'm a music NUT. I love Robert Heinlen, PDQ Bach, and Middle-Earth Role Playing. And long walks on the beach . . . [Wink]

Oh, and if you let me get started, I talk too much.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess I'm part of SO's first group. I've noticed the drop off in "Jatraqueros," and even the occasional posts against it. Well, communities, like most things, change over time. But I will be sad to see this meme fall into disuse. Can't we have our inexplicable, cloudy-origined traditions? I think such things add to a community, because they create a sense of longevity. Sure, they make it harder to fit right in, at first, but I believe they make the community a bit more meaningful when you finally do pick up on all the little conventions.

There is something to be said for tradition.

If that just makes me old, or mean or standoffish or something, so be it.

You and I should totally be the Statler and Waldorf of Hatrack, Icky.

We're curmudgeonly enough, and I'm rather taken with the idea of morphing into an oddly-endearing gray-headed old man. Puppet.

Puppet-man.

[ January 10, 2005, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

"Well, that was different . . . "
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Stop picking on Fozzie Bear!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
"Well, that was different . . . "
Yes. Lousy, but different.

(Let's be talking about Dag, shall we?)

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Who was the initial post addressed to?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
The person who called us Hatrackers in big, bold letters?
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Dagonee. Right now they're all about Dag.

Sheesh, Scott. Look ma! No brains!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.