FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For the last time-- it's JATRAQUEROS! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: For the last time-- it's JATRAQUEROS!
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree. It sounds more SPANISH then hatracker.

The whole process of adapting a culture because its "cool" is very destructive. Its, in large part, what blacks, hispanics, women, jews, muslims, hindus, etc. have had to overcome. The idea that one culture is superior to another.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft.

You're silly, Paul.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
But it's not spanglification.

It's portugeuification (I've caught the sp? headache)...I think...

In any case it is a cool word.

But use whatever word you like.

Far be it from me to attempt the spreading of memes to unwilling hosts.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I propose you go with the much simpler "Daghead."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Daghead.

*becomes a Daghead

Ahhh ...

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Daguerro. You know the type.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
*owwwwww

[Laugh]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thank you, Sara.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

The quality of your puns puts you in the elite class, Liz. I know, because I pico'ed.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Laugh] at Liz.

We are, of course, the elite, leading the way forward.

Edit: Doh! Repeated pun, do to leaving the reply window open too long.

I'll have to be satisfied with the leading reference, even if it was a little kerny.

[ January 06, 2005, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[Taunt]

Jinx.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

(I was more on the ball. [Big Grin]
[/archaic reference] )

Dagonee
Member # 5818

That pun was great. It Selectric!
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

*holding tummy, groaning
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Get Control of yourself, Sara.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I only post puns for the helvetica.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I think your puns have more of a function than that, Dag.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
ScottR, February 2nd, 2002:
quote:
Jatraqueros looks better, sounds better- if you were to ask Slash, I'm sure he'd say they taste better too.
I'm stunned. This has clearly been a great source of anguish for Scott.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I suppose we eventually had to leave the puns and Return to the original subject.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jatraqueros sounds cool. [Razz]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[censors self, for the children]

*remorseful [Embarrassed]

[ January 06, 2005, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
You realize, Sara, that every time you edit yourself like that it just kicks our imagination into overdrive, and we probably come up with worse things than you actually posted in the first place.

So, for the children, you should probably start just leaving them there. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara, I saw your post. [Razz]

This thread has got me thinking about something I've been meaning to bring up for awhile as a question of interest. Of course, this might have already been discussed to death.

I often feel like Hatrack is divided into 2 factions - those who knew Slash, David Bowles, Jon Boy, Ralphie (who else??) and those who don't. I met Ralphie in chat a bit ago, and she's very cool, I agree - and David B. has posted recently. But I remember thinking when I was brand-new "who in the heck are these people that keep being mentioned but don't post here anymore?"

I've heard rumors of The Great Leaving - is that the time the most-oftened mentioned people left?

space opera

[ January 06, 2005, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
SO:

Some people like to use revisionist history to claim that The Great Leaving was a description of some point in the past; real Jatraqologists believe, with all their heart, that it refers to the End Times, where all those who have received their OSC milestone post count gifts will be invited, all expenses paid, to OSC's bungalow-palace in East Tonga. There will be much gnashing of the teeth, and ping-pong playing. THen we'll all hop into the pool and sip on Mai-Tai's.

Oh, and hatrack.com will be turned off at that point.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

PS: You forget to mention a third class: those who remember then all the above were newbies. [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if there was a specific "Great Leaving" or not. I know in the case of several "notables" a variety of things happened which caused them to be infrequent. Not necessarily any one thing, but job changes, life changes etc.

I also think some of the jatraquero/as that were the most giving were inadvertantly taken from by the community and drained emotionally dry without anyone realizing it was happening. Sometimes it becomes a boundary setting issue and the way to set the boundary is to remove yourself for a while. I've had ebbs and flows myself.

I also think when the "greats" you were referring to were here frequently, and I was a newbie, they were referring to even more ancient posters that I didn't know as you refer to these.

(Bonducca comes to mind and as I recall she did leave because of a tiff but I never knew her.)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I am a wicked, wicked, wicked woman.

*hangs head in shame

[What an appropriate smilie, Space Opera. [Smile] ]

[ January 06, 2005, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

quote:
Some people like to use revisionist history to claim that The Great Leaving was a description of some point in the past; real Jatraqologists believe, with all their heart, that it refers to the End Times, where all those who have received their OSC milestone post count gifts will be invited, all expenses paid, to OSC's bungalow-palace in East Tonga. There will be much gnashing of the teeth, and ping-pong playing. THen we'll all hop into the pool and sip on Mai-Tai's.

Oh, and hatrack.com will be turned off at that point.

[ROFL]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* Bonduca is overrated. She was fun, but she was only around for a few months. She is remembered by many posters, I suspect, through a haze of idealism. That's not to say that she wasn't great to have around, but it would be an exaggeration to say that her departure -- or her arrival -- changed the tone of the forum in any measurable way.

There have been people whose departures were instantly and immediately felt. The earliest I can recall would be D. Michael Martindale and John Hansen, but that's not to imply that there haven't been many more since whom we miss terribly.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
What an appropriate smilie, Space Opera.
This convinces me you deserve a good-natured [No No] .
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think of Jon Boy as a newbie. All the others were the old greats when I joined.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara - too right!

Bok, I never thought I'd say it, but geez the End Times sound like great fun. I think I'll get a t-shirt with that saying.

*dreamy tone* Perhaps, one day far into the future, people will speak of the great one known as The Opera.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me - I'm due for another milestone present. *peeks in mailbox* It's probably with quid's gift in the office. [Smile]
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Wouldn't they send it to Frisco now?
Bokonon
Member # 480

TomD: Bonduca's prescence was felt more strongly by the parachatters, among others. My recollection was that she was quite influential for 8 months to a year. In any event, I think this shows the vastness of the Hatrack society.

I personally miss Barbara Walton, who started the Battle School email list over 9 years ago that I joined, and that got me started in Hatrack (when VBS moved to Hatrack). For you VBSers, your student bio sheets are almost exactly like the ones thought up by someone (not me) on the mailing list in early 1996. It always makes me smile to see it's still there.

-Bok

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[censors self again, on the verge of imposing temporary self-banishment]

[ January 06, 2005, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

That's what I thought. Naughty Zoot!
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

You must not encourage me.

Propriety, propriety -- why can I not remember my propriety?

*has a fit of the vapours

[ January 06, 2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

*Fetches Sara her smelling salts*
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
NO!

Let her stay unconscious.

We can shave her head better that way.

:buzz:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[no more Hatrack for today]

I shock myself sometimes, I really really do.

[Monkeys]

[ January 06, 2005, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
CT!!!

[Eek!]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

(sorry sorry sorry! let me take a day to reflect on my faults, of which there are many [Wink] )
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I think you may have embarassed ScottR. [Smile]
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Good. ScottR made me laugh out loud in front of a class of high school students diligently working on their semester exams.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the "Jatraquero" tag.

quote:
I thought it was a tip of the hat to the portugeeseish culture found on Lusistania
by David Bowles? No effing way.

-o-

I guess I'm part of SO's first group. I've noticed the drop off in "Jatraqueros," and even the occasional posts against it. Well, communities, like most things, change over time. But I will be sad to see this meme fall into disuse. Can't we have our inexplicable, cloudy-origined traditions? I think such things add to a community, because they create a sense of longevity. Sure, they make it harder to fit right in, at first, but I believe they make the community a bit more meaningful when you finally do pick up on all the little conventions.

There is something to be said for tradition.

If that just makes me old, or mean or standoffish or something, so be it.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Maybe Hatrack is such a mature culture that there is an ancient, "dead" language like Latin.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The mention of names like Barbara Walton and John Hansen make me feel really really old.

It's only an illusion, though - I was just very very young when I was around back in those days.

Bok - I don't remember you being that old. Were you always Bok?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I always use Jatraqueros/as. Because it sounds cool, mainly [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Ok, in all honestly either tag is fine with me. But simply because I'm sassy I will point out that on Hatrack's main page there is a letter to "Hatrackers" from OSC. [Evil Laugh]

space opera

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.