FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY (Page 4)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if Telp reads this thread, but I think Hamson does.

You two wanna catch a Wings game at the Joe sometime?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky is holding a RW game? And he didn't even tell me?

[Mad]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

No takers in the Detroit area? Maybe I'll have to start a thread specifically for it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew, hockey...My roomie, Deb, adores this freakin' sport but the only thing I like about it is the part where they fight.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
*snort* Me too, AoD. I've always had a thing for hockey players. Imagine my delight in discovering my Hatrack hottie, Xavier, plays (well, did play). I tried (and am still trying) to get him back into it but the gear is very pricy. I'm sure he's figured me out though. I just want to watch him and his teammates skate around in those hot uniforms hitting each other.

*drool*

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
BOOYAH! Going to the Sabres game tomorrow night, vs the Coyotes! One row back from the corner glass. I've always wanted to know what it was like to sit over there.

I was going to get a jersey to wear for the game, but the Sabres are most likely replacing their current ones this year so I'll wait.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm going to a Wings game next month hopefully. Maybe with Kronwall coming back we can get our act together.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother was actually sorely disappointed with the view from the glass. Plus he said that the "fans" are a heck of a lot more rowdy in the 100s sections than on the first deck. Maybe cause they can't see and so need something to keep them occupied? LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

This one's likely a sell out as it's a non-TV game. I couldn't find tickets today that were close, and the seating display at the box office was nearly empty.

BTW, eat your heart out Team USA.

quote:
As for Miller, all he's done since returning to action is go 4-1, including a dominating performance against Waddell's Thrashers in a 4-1 Sabres victory. Miller given up more than two goals in only one of those games.
He's actually 5-2 with a 1.85 GAA.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I just want to feel what it's like down there - the energy, see the impacts up close and the like. In the future I will get my tickets earlier so I can sit a bit further up. [Big Grin] Or in the club seats.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that's exactly what Steve said his motivation was as well. He also said that the players were intentionally "flicking" pucks at the glass during warmups... as in, if the glass weren't there, he'd have no teeth left. "Wild but freaky" I believe was his description of that response.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Man, those were good seats. The far end view was somewhat obscured, but the action in the corner more than made up for it. There was a near-fight at the end, and a scary hit to the face on Dmitri Kalini that left a bit bloodstain on the ice. You could tell the guys with the ice shovels were thinking 'you get it' 'no YOU get it'. Biron stopped 39 out of 40 and allowed on in the shootout.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Did anyone else see Ovechkin's goal last night. UNREAL. When Wayne Gretzky as opposing coach says your goal is 'pretty sweet' you know you are doing something right.

It will probably overshadow some highlight reel goals and saves from Sabres-Oilers but that's okay.

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, sorry Lyrhawn, never saw that this thread had been updated in a while. Maybe I was gone or something? It'd be cool to catch a game together; however, I don't know how I'd go about doing that.

Anyway, it's neat that you're going to a game next month. Who are the Wings playing? (on a side note, I went to the game in December where the Wings had their first franchise shootout! It was awesome! I don't go that often at all, so that's a double plus.)

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm going to the Wings/Avalanche game.

If you want, we could try and score tickets off Ebay, and then just meet there and settle up later. If you interested that is.

Hamson
Member # 7808

I'm INTERESTED, it's just I don't know how I'd manage to do it. I think I'll have to decline for now. It'd be great to meet up sometime at a more local event though.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Where in the metro area do you live? I can't remember.
Hamson
Member # 7808

Farmington Hills
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Alright, I'm only 20 minutes away in Royal Oak.

Do we even have local events?

Hamson
Member # 7808

Lol, that's a good question.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Stupid Darius Kasparaitis. Just had to go for the knees, didn't ya? That marks the third top Sabres player out for 6 to 8 weeks. At least Dumont just came back, but come on. Connoly was a top center, including on the #2 in the league penalty kill and power play.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Kronwall is coming back to the Wings soon. [Smile]

Many are calling him the next Niklas Lidstrom. Couldn't come at a better time.

TheTick
Member # 2883

All the Sabre rooks have been playing great, but at this point they'd like someone to come back and NOT have someone else get injured that day.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm... I'm on my way to watch The Ohio State Buckeyes take on the Fighting Irish of NotreDame this Saturday. I don't really follow college hockey but i'm really looking forward to the game. Anything to do with the buckeyes rocks my world.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I've never paid any attention to the College game, either, beyond knowning what programs a few players came out of (Minnesota Golden Gopher Thomas Vanek, for instance). But with all the College sports stations on Cable/Satellite now, it should be more accessible.

Click on Recent Video at the top and take a gander at the sweet goal on 1/7.

I listened to some of the others, and I hate out of town announcers. I know Jochen Hecht isn't as easy to say as Joe Smith but at least look at the pronunciation guide, will ya?

beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a number of games as a kid. I remember the OSU Michigan game most vividly. There were 12 player in the Penalty at one time. The Michigan goalie had commited two penalties back to back to send two of his guys in. If I recall correctly they were skating three on three for a good five minutes. I even got to visit the locker room and was given a game puck by a player. Now that I follow the game a bit more, or at least the rules of the game, I think I'll really enjoy watching a live game.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

beatnix, how was the game? I actually watched part of the Michigan/Michigan State game the other day (needed a hockey fix!).

By the way, the Sabres won in the shootout against their nemesis, the Senators. What a goaltending matchup.

TheTick
Member # 2883

I'm going to the Sabres/Lightning game tomorrow night! BOOYAH! Oh, and anybody who gets OLN can watch the Sabres on the 14th of March. You know, so you Western conference fans can see what you've been missing. [Wink]
TheTick
Member # 2883

WOOHOO! Had an absolute blast at the Sabres/Lightning game. Just as excited tonight for the Leafs getting beat by Ryan Miller coming back from his mini-slump. There is a HUGE showdown this Saturday with the Senators, where the Sabres could possibly take the division lead from them with a win (which would be the ninth straight for the team).
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Cool. [Smile]

Almost playoff time.

TheTick
Member # 2883

The playoffs will be absolutely crazy here. I can't wait!!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Bob the Lawyer:
Ha! And when the wings don't make it I will drink from a cup of your tears [Razz]

Wings clinch the President's Cup and claim the best record in Hockey for the year. And with four games left to go too. They also claim the league record for most road wins, and a franchise record for most consecutive road wins.

Now we just have to hope some of our injuries can be healed in the next couple weeks before the playoffs start.

Looks like a nasty fight in the western conference for who gets the sixth, seventh and eighth spot in the playoffs.

LA would have to win all of the games that are left, and hope for Vancouver and Edmonton to be blanked in all their final games. Only five points separate Vancouver, Edmonton, San Jose and Colorado. But three of those four will likely make it into the playoffs, and a lucky two of them will get to play Detroit and Dallas and be summarily executed in the effort.

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Vancouver and San Jose play twice: today and tomorrow. San Jose has been playing fantastic, almost desperate hockey for the last couple weeks and it's really paying off. I hope the Sharks can continue their recent hot streak and win both games against Vancouver, as this will work towards solidifying Edmonton's position in the playoffs. I'm also pretty happy that Edmonton will probably be playing Detroit in the first round of the playoffs. Not that we have a great record against the wings, but I think our chances are better against Detroit than Dallas.

I was really hoping that Edmonton and Calgary would play in the first round of the playoffs. It's been far too long since the battle of Alberta has taken place in the playoffs. Alas, Edmonton seems to be entering their usual self-destruct pre-playoff mode and raising losing to an artform.

Also, let us not forget that first round upsets aren't as rare as the top teams would like. And if any team is capable of losing a seemingly easy first round, it's Detroit. [Wink]

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Those bottom spots in the Western Conference are producing some awesome games. I caught part of the Edmonton/Vancouver game on Hockey Night...it was intense. They are definitely going to give the high seed teams a run for the money.

I'm *hoping* that the Sabres are getting right for the playoffs. We'll have to see how Miller does tonight.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Fitz:
Also, let us not forget that first round upsets aren't as rare as the top teams would like. And if any team is capable of losing a seemingly easy first round, it's Detroit. [Wink]

This from the guy whose team was shut out by Detroit last night. If that's an indicator of how the first round will go, I'll roll out the welcome mat in Detroit for the Oilers [Smile]
Fitz
Member # 4803

Ever hear of a little something called a false sense of security? Mind games, my friend, mind games. At least that's what we tell ourselves here in Edmonton...
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I call it confidence. [Big Grin]
Fitz
Member # 4803

So in an extremely intense game, the Sharks win in OT and clinch 7th, ensuring that they will not play detroit in the first round.

Phew, that was close. Unfortunately Vancouver got a point, and the race for 8th is now all the more exciting. I just hope that the Sharks don't get lazy because of their clinch, and beat Vancouver more decisively tomorrow.

TheTick
Member # 2883

I just watched the Sabres/Habs game...now THAT'S the Sabre team I remember from the win streaks. They took a red hot Canadiens team (one that has played them tight all year) and absolutely owned them for long stretches. The only goal Montreal managed was a deflection through a screen. Connoly and Afinogenov are going nuts on people, Briere embarrassed Souray and Ryan Miller was very strong for another start. You get the feeling that the team is heating back up, just at the right time. Now if they can get past Sunday's game vs. the Leafs without another forward getting smacked in the head/knee by Tucker things will be great.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I know about hockey is that both the Wisconsin men and women won their respective national championships. NHL? Oh, yeah. It exists. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it...at first everyone says that RW's won't make the playoffs....then they won't win the division....not that they have, with the best record ever, it is all about the "upset"....

Being on top is grand, isn't it?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Maybe the other teams look at the division you won and snicker. 3 teams under 70 points? Is it that much of a stretch that folks might believe that Calgary and Dallas are just as good if not better? I certainly expect the Wings to beat their first round opponent but there are no octopi on the horizon. [Wink]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What's the Wings record against Calgary and Dallas this season?

Calgary 4/3/06 Wings victory 2-1
Dallas 1/8/06 Wings lose 6-3
Dallas 12/27/05 Wings victory 4-1
Calgary 12/1/05 Wings lose 2-1
Calgary 11/16/05 Wings lose 3-1
Calgary 10/9/05 Wings victory 6-3

We're even with Dallas and Calgary. April 17th will be a tie breaker of sorts with Dallas, but based on matchups with them I'd say we're at least even.

Our record against top teams is good enough, I think, to not badmouth us for being in a sucky division.

Fitz
Member # 4803

I'm not going to trash talk the Wings until Edmonton makes the playoffs. [Smile] But I must point out they're an old team, with an average age of 31. Yeah, experience counts for a lot, but the playoffs are too fast-paced, with too much big hitting, for the Wings to be a top contender for the cup. Also, Legace is a good goalie, no doubt, but he's no Kiprusoff or Hasek. As loathe as I am to admit it, I think Calgary will go all the way this year.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Wings. If Edmonton doesn't make the cut, Detroit will be one of the teams I pull for. However, my least favorite team is the one that Edmonton is playing against, and if we make the playoffs there are going to be broken wings all over the ice, suckah! [Wink]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heh.

Two of the top players on the Wings now are Zetterberg and Datsyuk, the new guys. Kronwall is a young Niklas Lidstrom. Many of the best, and up and coming players on the team are young guys, and they are up for a fast paced game.

Big hitting you might have a point about, the Wings have never really had a lot of big hitters.

So far as goaltending goes, Legace is up front, is he was the Defensive player of the month in October, and we have Ozzie, who we've won 2 cups with already, to back us up. And quite frankly, Hasek is no Hasek anymore. He's injury prone, and still recovering.

Wings are by far a contender for the cup, I wouldn't necessarily call them the favorite, but as far as I can see there is NO favorite this year. It could go to four or five different teams. But they have as good a chance as anyone.

Let's save the trash talk for Round One bud.

Fitz
Member # 4803

Haha, you're a hockey fan, so I'm sure you know my last post wasn't even close to trash talk. Just a couple of opinions. Really, there are a lot of teams who I hope don't win the cup (*cough* Dallas, Calgary *cough*), and the Wings aren't one of them.

If Edmonton doesn't make it, I'm pulling for the Rangers.

In other news, big games in the West tonight. Edmonton and Vancouver both play tonight, and the outcomes could solidify the top 8. If Edmonton wins, and Vancouver loses in regulation time, Edmonton will clinch the 8th spot. Then we can commence with the real trash talk [Big Grin] Go Edmonton!!!

Fitz
Member # 4803

Well there you have it. Everything went according to plan tonight. Edmonton won with a beautiful goal by Hemsky with only 30 seconds left to play. Then, after a close couple of periods, Vancouver went out with a whimper in the 3rd against SJ. Edmonton clinched that last spot in the west!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Whew, good. I can breathe easy in the first round. [Wink]
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really hoping Edmonton does well this season (strange a Flames fan is saying that, huh?)

I think we're in store for some great hockey during the playoffs.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I think you are right. [Big Grin] It's been a long time coming, here, in any sport.
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.