FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hatrack username dictionary (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Hatrack username dictionary
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about some of the user personalities I've seen on Hatrack and started wondering if I could replace verbs or adjectives with user names instead. From that thought spawned the idea for this thread:

If a Hatrack username dictionary were made, what would it look like?

I'll start with a little example:

n. Tante Shvester - Someone who increases their post count at an incredible rate on a daily basis.

v.Shvester, Shvestering - The act of posting a lot on forums. Not to be confused with spammers, someone who shvesters manages to make good (although sometimes short)posts in large quantities; "That guy totally shvestered his way to 5000 posts."

I'm still a relative newcomer to the boards but Tante Shvester always sticks up as a cool poster for me [Smile]

So, go ahead and add your own entries!

[ August 22, 2005, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Rico ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee.

v Dagonee - the act of defending one's arguments clearly, calmly and cleverly. "Joe dagoneed his point well." See also persuasive

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm my own verb! Shazaam!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty cool.

v Scopatz - to let fly a blinding series of the funnies. "Man, you totally Scopatzed that thread." See also embarrassment of riches.

PS: Totally agree with the above two, as well.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
DO ME DO ME!!!
Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Behave!

Well, OK.

Turgan verb: to stridently call for attention by posting in all caps "DO ME DO ME!!!"

satisfied?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

wait... nobody knows me well enough... well phooey
Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

YES!!!!!!! WHOOOO!!!!

I am so being Turgan when it comes to stuff like this.

i like it.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Enigmatic adj 1. Of or resembling an enigma; puzzling; "a professor's enigmatic grading system."
2. Not clear to the understanding; "I didn't grasp the meaning of that enigmatic comment until much later"

phoo! This game doesn't work so well for some of us.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

How true. How true.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
To AFR a thread means to kill it. Can also be applied to the forum in general.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently writing one in MS-Word, who'd like it in his/her e-mail box?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Rico noun: an arbitrary rule that is supposedly meant to increase everyone's fun, but in actuality is synonymous with "kill-joy".
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, would that mean I AFRed my own thread?

Rule: BALEEEETED! To prevent thread from turning into a popularity contest. Sorry folks, we all know I'm the most popular here anyways [Taunt]

[ August 22, 2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Rico ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone define me please, then.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Look! Another popularity contest!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Where? Where?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Sassey - adj. simultaneously combining the maximum intelligence, fun, and compassion which can be contained in a given number of words.

Bridge - v. to shamelessly self-promote but be so good that no one cares (Conjugation: I bridge, You bridge, Chris bridges)

Mack - v. to flip someone off when they try to hug you ((Mack))

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Look! Another popularity contest!

Mushroom - n. poster who criticizes popularity threads. See also "Ic".

[Razz]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bridge - v. to shamelessly self-promote but be so good that no one cares (Conjugation: I bridge, You bridge, Chris bridges)
[Laugh]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

From my dictionary:

quote:
riv•ka•ing (rívkɑïŋ) v.i. to self-criticise for being a very frequent and bold conversationalist, e.g. “she was rivkaing herself”. [M #4859, rivka.]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*blink*

Either I've missed a whole bunch of self-criticizing posts or that's not really a defining feature of rivka.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Jonathan Howard noun: anything incomprehesible, in any language. We were having a lively debate, and he suddenly blurted a Jonathan Howard.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

There was one. But you've got to hold on to one thing.

And thanks for posting, by the way, I need to give you an entry. Someone define me dictionarily, please.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Thanks, Tante.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

How about

Rivka - v. The verbal destruction of a hotel in Dallas which has mistreated you.

[Smile]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Forum dictionaries have to spring naturally from forum usage.

It's cheating to go about inventing word for the sake of inventing words.

Here are some good words that have been used on the forum in natural conversation:

Squick: [verb] to create a feeling of disgust. Incest squicks me out.

Cedonym: [noun] an alternative name for a poster; commonly used when poster has a reputation for being decptive, malicious, or beligerent, and uses an alternative name to escape retribution from the mods or polite police. John used the cedonym 'kewlJ0n' to keep posting on Hatrack after being banned.

The Four Horsemen: [prop. noun] Sarcasm, Cynicism, ???, and TomDavidson. I can't remember the third horseman.

Jatraquero/a: [noun] A member of the www.hatrack.com forums. Commonly, 'Hatracker.'

To Be Real: [adj] describes a Jatraquero's state of being; if a jatraquero has met in real life, two other jatraqueros, he is said to 'be real.'

And so on.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
The third horseman was Fluff.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I cringe to think what incarnation "Stroman" would be.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Jon Boy.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Four Horsemen? What...?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. The Four Horsemen of the Hatrack Apocalypse.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Jonathan, Tom hasn't gone by Horseman of the Hatrack Apocalypse since...oh, before you were born (seriously, it's just a reference to some ancient Hatrack history).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
Ancient history?

[Cry]

Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Insofar as 3 or 4 years ago is ancient.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
One occurance doesn't make somebody's name a definition of that trait, JH. Particularly not when the trait isn't exactly flattering.

As far as giving me an entry, I would prefer you didn't.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

But I need to know what they did, and why the four joined to form that {union? Organisation? Social Group of Conspirators?} so I can mark it in my entry... I'm forming the dictionary - you just keep posting ideas.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To Be Real: [adj] describes a Jatraquero's state of being; if a jatraquero has met in real life, two other jatraqueros, he is said to 'be real.'

This definition neglects to mention that if one wishes to become Real, one must meet two other jatraqueros who are already Real.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

I registered this name primarily to tease a guy named Nick, who constantly missed the sarcasm in various people's posts. He was a good guy and took it well, though. What ever happened to him?

Anyway, my Australian look-alike, Ethics Gradient, registered the name Cynicism to be my accomplice in crime. Then we decided to add two more and become the Horseman of the Hatrack Apocalypse. We launched a very successful recruiting campaign that resulted in the addition of Fluff and TomDavidson to our ranks.

Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Gee, I always wondered how you came up with a name like "Sarcasm."

Didn't you do a whole thread about the four horsemen? I'm afraid I never opened it. :(

Sarcasm
Member # 4653

Link
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Jon Boy, in internet fora years, something that happened three or four years ago is definitely ancient history.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:

This definition neglects to mention that if one wishes to become Real, one must meet two other jatraqueros who are already Real.
How's this?

quote:
realness (ríəlnes) n.c. the state of a *HATRACKER’s validity: if one has met in person two other real Hatrackers he becomes real, likewise if five unreal Hatrackers meet together they become real. [T.]
The asterisk and the small-caps mark a cross-reference, the "T." at the end is the etymological source: a term used by the forum.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Two and a half years ago is not ancient history. :)
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It is not possible for five Hatrackers to achieve realness merely by meeting each other. Two of them must have previously acquired reality.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
It is not possible for five Hatrackers to achieve realness merely by meeting each other. Two of them must have previously acquired reality.

Is this really fair now? Come on!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's absolutely fair. We've had a basic standard of realness for several years now.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
The asterisk and the small-caps mark a cross-reference, the "T." at the end is the etymological source: a term used by the forum.

It seems a little silly to me to say that all the terms in the forum's dictionary come from terms used on the forum.
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

So who were the first Hatrackers to become real?
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.