FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Aerin Amelia Marx Is Here (One Year Old!) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Aerin Amelia Marx Is Here (One Year Old!)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I consider all of you uncles and aunts.

Well, yay! [Kiss] and (((hugs))) for my newest niece. [Big Grin]

quote:
She's under a bili light and has to wear an eye mask and she hates it. She has figured out how to push it off and has the poor nurses running all day and night to put it back
That is indeed adorable. [Big Grin] Mine removed her wrist ID bracelet three times and her ankle ID four in the three days we were there. We said she was either going to be an escape artist, or didn't want to be part of our family! [ROFL]

quote:
I'm being discharged today with very mixed emotions.
They're discharging you already? You must indeed be doing well! Good for you. And the mixed emotions are understandable, but remember that they love to have mommies in the NICU. You're still going to see her, and she's not going to forget who you are. [Kiss]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
That is the best news I've had all week! Congratulations to your family.

It was so hard for me to leave the hospital with Stephen in the NICU but I spent all the time sitting in the chair next to him that they would let me. They made us leave at shift changes and I did go home to sleep but slept with the phone next to me with promises they would call me immediately if there were any problems. Thankfully there weren't.

So grab some fluffy comfy slippers, its perfectly okay to wear them in public and have fun sitting and gazing at your new baby girl. What wonderful news! I am so very happy she is okay.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I bet you could get some crafty stuff done while you're talking to and looking at her. Do you do crafty stuff?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! [Party] Congratulations! What great news! I LOVE that name by the way. It's pronounced "Air-in", right?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man, I'm late to the party! Congratulations! September 12th is my wife's birthday. [Big Grin] We're all very very glad things are going so well!

quote:
(Is anyone else impressed that she posted on Hatrack that soon after a c-section?)
Jen was the same way - they're done differently than in the past so it's not as bad as my Mom tells me every chance she gets. [Wink] Jen was cleaning her room the next morning in the hopes they would spring her early. We're so happy!!!
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!!! I am so happy for you!!!!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, like everyone else here I've been following your story and am so glad it worked out well in the end.

I'm sure you are an inspiration for others in similar situations.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] What wonderful news! It's so exciting to hear that Aerin (and you!) are doing so well!

Congratulations!

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 8171

- posted      Profile for Tigger   Email Tigger         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things I did, Mrs. M, was keep a tape recording (and tape player) handy for the nurses to use for those hours they insisted I go sleep in the parent room down the hall.

On the tape I had soothing music interspersed with my voice reading stories and saying prayers and singing silly songs.

They also got really good at letting me help out with the day-to-day care of my little guy in the PICU. I helped with some of the treatments, daily care, and spent time just gently stroking some lotion on those tiny feet and hands and forehead.

*hugs to all*

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
COngratulations! [Big Grin]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to give y'all one last update before Shabbos. Aerin is doing remarkably well. Her reports are short because there's nothing new to tell, which is always a good thing in preemies. She's finally getting good sleep now that the bili light is off and her mask is gone.

She's doing so well that they're putting a PICC line (peripherally inserted central catheter) in way ahead of schedule, so that they can take out her umbilical lines. This is a basically an IV line used to provide nutrients and medicines into a vein. The risk of clots and infection is much lower with a PICC line.

We're getting on a blanket exchange, where I sleep with a receiving blanket next to my skin and they wrap her in it so that she can smell my scent. Then I give them another one and they give me back the one that she slept in so that I can smell her scent.

We're starting a blog for her, so that I can keep everyone updated without having to email all day long. I'll let y'all know when it's up.

Thank you for your support, comfort, prayers, and good thoughts.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I'm so glad she's doing so well! You and Andrew and Aerin will continue to have our love and prayers. [Kiss]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the idea of a blanket exchange. [Smile] I'm glad things are going so well. Go Aerin!
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't even imagine how small a PICC would have to be for a 26 week preemie. <-- used to be a marketing secretary at a peripheral access company
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad things are going well, Kira.

I love the idea of a blanket exchange, too. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka, I asked my mother about that PICC. She's an infusion therapy nurse and puts in about a dozen PICCs a week. She said she didn't know they made them that small!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
The blanket exchange idea sounds really good to me, I'm glad you can do it. [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Yey, Aerin! [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Any idea on if this NICU does "kangaroo care?"

[skin-to-skin for parents and preemies after the baby is stable]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Aerin is still doing well. She's back under the bili light, but she's tolerating it much better. She had another blood transfusion today, which went well. She spends most of her time sleeping peacefully, which is the best thing for her.

We had her naming in the shul today. Her Hebrew name is Sela Shoshana bat Keren Miriam. Sela means rock, with a connotation of strength. Shoshana means lily or rose. She's named after Andrew's aunt and grandmother.

We took some pictures yesterday: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kira_marx/album?.dir=93c2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kira_marx/my_photos

CT, they do use kangaroo care. They encourage it, in fact. I am really looking forward to the time when I can start. Both of her neighbors parents were doing it today and I was a bit envious.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so very glad she's doing so well.

((M. family))

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow. I didn't realize until I got to the photo with the hands how very, very tiny she is. I mean, I knew, and I've seen babies under 2lbs, but it's still a shock.

It's wonderful that she's doing so well. Prayers and good wishes to Aarin and her Mommy & Daddy.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
You _ will _ love _ kangaroo care! Worth the wait . [Smile]

Kira, she is absolutely beautiful.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my!
Wiping away the tears.
She is so lovely!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Ballerina Baby... [Smile]

She's gorgeous, Mrs. M. Good job. [Smile]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Wiping away the tears
Me, too! She's so gorgeous, you are a very lucky woman, even though I know this will be a long road. I look at those pictures of her with her eyes open, and I can just tell that she's got a strong soul, and she's happy to be here. She is so precious. It's hard to look at her and remember how tiny she really is-- she's a "whole" baby, you know? But she'll grow. She's a tough one, that little girl. She's going to thrive with all the love I see in those pictures and expressed here. (((hugs)))
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
She is *gorgeous* [Smile]

She is very small, but as you said, she looks like a real baby - all perfectly formed and beautiful.

My twin cousins were very premature (24 weeks) and one looked like a monkey and the other like a very wizened alien. On the bright side, they are now two perfectly healthy, only slightly small for their size, bright, bubbly 4 year olds. I am sure Aerin will do just as well. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
My mind wouldn't resize at the photo with the hands, and I just see a normal size baby and giant hands. [Smile]

Thanks for posting them, Mrs.M, and I'm glad things are continuing to do so well.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Gorgeous, indeed. [Smile]

We know how Aerin is doing due to your much-appreciated updates, but how are you and Andrew holding up?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting pictures Kira. She is so lovely, my heart is glad for your cute little family. [Smile] She has the look of a willful, beautiful girl and I know she'll be just fine. Thanks for sharing her with us a bit. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
She's precious. I sent out a small package for her friday, just so you know.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
It is wonderful to see pictures of her! She is so precious and tiny. Glad to hear things are going well. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, tiny! And cute! [Smile] Hmm, I was going to say "I want one of those", but then I realized that maybe it's a little too soon for me... o_O
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow - do those pictures ever bring back memories.

What a beautiful child. What loving parents. Blessings to all of you.

*hugs*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
How tiny. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Mrs.M, she's so beautiful. I know this may be a strange comment, but her little hands look so elegant. I hope you and your husband will be able to hold her soon. Hahaha... I bet she has him wrapped around her little finger. May she grow in strength everyday.

*hugs* to you all

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwwwww, cute.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Just amazing.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man, I don't know when I got so soft (the first time I saw my daughter on the ultrasound, I think), but every time I open this thread I get tears in my eyes.

She is a beautiful little girl. I'm so glad she has such loving parents and such good medical care.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize in the pictures either how small she was, until the picture with the hands! So cute, thank you for sharing your pictures with us [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Kira!

I'm so glad to hear that Aerin is here, and in good health. Much rejoicing from this neck of the woods!

She looks beautiful.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
She's so tiny!
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Mrs. M, After all the time you've worked and waited for her to come, to think that she would rush the last few weeks.

Congratulations, I envy you even though the road ahead will certainly not be smooth for at least the near future.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations [Smile]

Hehe, wouldn't it be a blast for her, when she's older, to read all of these posts of love? I know it would be for me [Smile]

Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
She is indeed beautiful and Mrs. M, you look fabulous too. In fact, you looked in such good color/health that, before I read the caption, I thought you must be the nurse.

Congratulation and good wishes again.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Thanks, y'all. I am going to print out this thread and put it in Aerin's baby book (which will probably be ready right before her wedding).

Aerin's blog is up, but it's not nearly up-to-date. I have put updates from the past few days up, so y'all can see how she's doing without waiting for me.

BTW, some of you might notice that there's a post dated this past Saturday. I didn't post on Shabbat, it lets you pre-date things.

http://aerinamelia.blogspot.com/

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I just went and read the blog -- so sweet! Thank you for sharing it with us.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awww! I'm going to bookmark that. [Big Grin]

Now, I know you're under a lot of stress. And I don't want you to feel like I'm pressuring you or anything, Heaven knows you don't need that! But reading about her sucking reminded me to wonder if the nurses have showed you the breast pump and discussed freezing whatever you're able to express for her later use. I just want you to know that that's an option if you're interested.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.