FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear Secret Santa... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Dear Secret Santa...
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I'm the first one who received her package! Karl, I LOVE them. I really do.
OK, for those not in the secret, here is aaaall the story.
I was just back home from work and I was on the phone with my Dad talking about a problem I have at work (I may leave but after all it's not that bad for me, I think). Anyway, Hubby came back home and hehad the curiosity to check the mailbox. He came to me with an enormous smile and gave me a package from the USA... Well, it was pretty obvious it was my Hatrack Secret Santa's present! I smiled really hard too, took my time to end the conversation with my Dad (he actually told me he was proud of me and loved me, can you believe it?) and I opened the package.
Inside were two pretty white boxes and a card. In the first box there were four lovely pair of earrings (I am wearing one right now!), in the second one a beautiful bookmak and the card was from Karl, telling me he had done all this himself and wishing me a happy holiday. Karl, I'm so touched you took the time to make all this! I have a feeling your earrings are going to become my favourites, they are beautiful in themselves and they really suit me with my new hairlengh.
A million of thank you, dear Secret Santa! [Kiss] [Kiss]

[ December 09, 2005, 02:56 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! I honestly didn't expect them to arrive until near the end of next week. The post office really underestimated themselves on this one.

I'm so glad you like them. They're the first earrings I've ever made. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Post pictures when you get a chance Anna!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

You bet! Tomorrow I'm going to the hairdresser, and I'm so asking Hubby to take pictures tomorrow evening!
BTW, Karl, I have to tell you... When Hubby asked who you are, I told him : You know, I told you about him, he's the one who made the difference between like or love... He instantly knew who you were. [Smile] Actually I think what you wrote really helped me, because when I think about my relations with people I find myself wondering if I'm just happy to spend time with them or if their happiness is important to me. It's really useful.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

BTW, which pair is your favorite? Everyone I showed them to is curious to know.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna or Karl, would you mind sharing the like/love bit of wisdom with us?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

She's talking about this thread.
Anna
Member # 2582

My favourites are the pair of red ones with three pearls and very little ones between the big ones. (Do you see which ones I mean?)
I'm going to wear them tomorrow.

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
*can't wait for pictures!* [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* For me...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow, I didn't participate because I'm too frazzled this year and didn't trust myself to get a present mailed out on time, but how fun it is to read about this! I'm excited to hear about everyone else's Secret Santa experiences.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

E-mails with pictures sent!
KarlEd
Member # 571

I got the email and replied. They do look good on you. [Smile] I'm glad you like them.

Here are photos of the earrings themselves. The colors are a little off due to poor lighting, but they give you the idea.
two pair.
other two pair.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Those are pretty!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm the next to have received my present and it's perfect timing, KQ, because I've really been wanting some sushi the past couple days. And now I can make my own! I just need to go to the store and get some shrimp and stuff to put in the middle.

Thanks KQ - I'll definitely be enjoying this for a while.

mmmm...sushi...

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Those earrings are very nice.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh purtyful earrings!!! Congrats Anna and gorgeous work Karl!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm glad it's going to hit the spot! Let me know how it goes, and like I said, e-mail if you have any questions! [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
<keeps obsessive compulsively checking this thread to see if his giftee has gotten his/her present yet>
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooo, those are so beautiful! Classy yet fun!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful earrings, Karl. However, I'm glad you didn't get me as your giftee, because I don't even have pierced ears.... (I know most guys assume most girls all have pierced ears...)

I'm understanding that you made the earrings yourself? You are very talented!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Yes, I made them. They were my first attempt. I've gotten some ideas for new things to try on my next attempts.

Yeah, since Anna said she liked earrings, I figured I could chance sending pierced. Clip-ons are kinda hard to find and don't have nearly the variety in stores as pierced ones do. (Don't ask me how I know this. Let's just say it involves needing a pair of flashy earrings but not being committed enough to actually pierce my ears. [Wink] )

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
But you CAN make clip ons, Karl? I might be interested in some.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I posted this in the original thread, thinking that that was where these were going. Here it is again:

Woo-hoo! I got my gift! Thanks erosomniac! It arrived yesterday, but I only discovered it when I was on my way out the door to a party yesterday evening. Happily, the party was an hour and a half away, so I had plenty of time to listen to one of the two CDs he sent.

The CD that I listened to was by a group I'd never heard of called The Notwist, and I was pretty impressed! Good stuff. I haven't listened to the second CD yet, but it looks like it'll be fun too--it's a collection of music from Hawaii, where erosomniac is originally from. I can't wait to listen to it.

Again, thanks!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! Glad you got it, and I'm glad you like it [Smile] .
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] It's quite good.
Anna
Member # 2582

Karl, I was searching what to wear to go to a friend's place yesterday and I discovered that I had a jumper that matched perfectly the blue earrings you gave me... Joy!
KarlEd
Member # 571

[Smile] (to Anna)

romanylass, yeah, I could certainly make some clip-ons provided I can find the clips. I know where I can get some really nice clips that from the front look like they are pierced fish-hook style earrings (though I don't know how comfortable they are, and I'd have to order them.) But let me know what you have in mind and I'll tell you if I can do it.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Pink and purple little girlie things [Smile]
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Karl, could you link me to the findings you said you could order, that sounds like some I used to have. (I love my 1930s post clip ons)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
romanylass, I hardly think pink and purple little girlie things are suitable for a Japanese electricity-spewing giant lizard. But I dunno, maybe they'll match with the color of yours eyes?

Groovy looking earings, Karl. However did you pick up that hobby? That's pretty unique, I would think?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Here ya go, breyerchic.

Rakeesh, I've been beading for years. I only made the earrings because Anna likes earrings and I thought I'd give it a try. They were fun, though, so I'm probably going to make some more.

romanylass, send me an email with details. [Wink]

romanylass
Member # 6306

[ROFL] Rakeesh.

They will need little radioactive cores.

(I want some for Girlzilla. Daddy won't let her get her ears pierced)

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! I have some earrings that are like that, but my favorite to wear have a screw in the back, I haven't seen them on any jewelry made past 1950. Luckily I got like five pairs of awesome pearls and opals from a neighbor who died several years ago, and some neat silver ones from my grandma. (they were both married before 1940).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, thank you for the lovely scarf and cool flower paper thingy.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got the most beautiful gift from breyerchic! All wrapped in lovely tissue paper was a handpainted silk scarf in my favorite colors! I haven't taken it off since I got home. I've been trying out different ways to tie it.

There was a large bar of milk chocolate in the box as well, but Phil and I have already eaten half of it! [Embarrassed] Also a pair of handmade earrings (yes, I have pierced ears!). She included some treats for my chihuahua as well. As a matter of fact, those are their favorites! Greenies!

Thank you so much, Sarah!

*starts on second half of chocolate bar* [Big Grin]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Were the colors okay, kwsni? Do you have a place to plant that card? I've never tried one of those - I'm fascinated by the idea of plantable paper.

*smiles*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Plantable paper? o_O
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my present! Thank you so much, Derrell! I got a little history of the state of Arizona, along with some neat Arizona memorabilia. Cactusy keychains and this wacky letter opener with a copper bird standing on a copper cactus. Am I right in guessing that it is a representation of a road runner? The only ones I know are in the cartoons.

Do you have cacti just growing everywhere in Arizona, like in your yard? In New Jersey, we have pine trees, maple trees, sycamore trees, and cherry trees in the yard, but no cacti.

Thanks so much for the present and the local Arizona color!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I just got my present from Son of Shvester! Thanks, it's really cool. I came home to a very large flat box all taped together. Inside were an electronic dart board, which will be great for our game room, a peg jumping brain puzzle, which is going on my desk at work, and a very interesting looking music CD I haven't had a chance to play yet. The name is "Shaz Ezri" and the writing on the back is in Hebrew (right??). I can't wait to check it out.

Thanks again SoS! [Big Grin]

Oh, and the card had the NYC skyline on it, as seen from NJ, all dark against a sunset sky. Really neat. [Smile]

Shan
Member # 4550

Oh, lucky me!

I have toasty toes snugly encased in green, soft slipper socks (did you make those, Katy? they're awesome), a wonderful book (Artemis Fowl) to curl up with that I have not yet read (believe it or not!), and a real live "pen-pal" style letter! I'll be writing back very soon!

Thank you, Katy! What a wonderful gift! [Smile]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm so glad you like it Val! The silk scarf was one of my first, and it turned out so wonderful.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. . . the card had the NYC skyline on it, as seen from NJ, all dark against a sunset sky.
This doesn't sound possible . . . [Confused]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Neh, so maybe it's sunrise. [Dont Know]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

He's just so in love with it that, as the lines in "Fair and Tender Ladies" say, "You could make me believe with the fallin' of your arm/ that the sun rose in the west."
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Oh, and for anyone who wants to read it: AoD's thank-you thread to Tom Davidson.)
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I believe it's a Cactus Wren, which is the state bird. I'm glad you liked it.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
THe colors are beautiful. I love scarves. I just have to find a nice place to display it.

I have tons of pots, just haven't decided where to put the flowers yet. All we've got in my house are east-facing windows, and that's a little stronger light than I generally like to put plants in. I'll find someplace, though.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, cactus grow in the southern part of the state. Of corse, in Phoenix, the only cactus are in people's yards or in parks.

The northern part of the state has pine forests.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a picture of my lovely scarf from Breyerchic. I am not wearing it in the picture because I am not having a pretty day, but maybe tomorrow. Sorry about the dark spots in the corner, the shutter didn't open all of the way.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.