FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear Secret Santa... (Page 6)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Dear Secret Santa...
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh boogers guys. I've looked everywhere and talked to a few people and can't seem to find any aspartame-free li hing!!! My understanding is that it is a pretty key ingredient :/ Try it anyway...I promise it tastes nothing like other icky aspartame stuff!
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I received my package yesterday, but couldn't get on the computer until this morning.

aiua: Thanks and many thanks! I got a lovely tin full of cookies and a jar of homemade hot chocolate mix. I did try some of the hot chocolate and have to say that the flavor is ... intriguing. I've never tried it with cayenne pepper before. [Eek!] [Wink] It puts quite a kick in the hot chocolate. It's good to try new things, though.

Also, one of the items from my wish list: The Memory of Earth, by OSC. I've started reading the book and am kicking myself for not having read it before. Thanks again, aiua!

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you secret Santa. I just got my CoaCoa (Gormet, with Cinnimon). Just in time for Sunday breakfast.

But, who the @#$@#$ are you? All I have is Secret Santa and a Utah address. No note, no card, no name.

I will not go through the entire Hatrack people list looking to figure who all comes from that neck of the woods.

Well, not yet anyway.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It was me. [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Yeah, yeah, and if anyone out there got a really great present without a name on it, it was from me.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
*taps her foot waiting for her person to have her gift*
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

CoaCoa (Gormet, with Cinnimon)

If all these items really were labeled this way, Dan, I think your mystery Santa had to be Jon Boy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
From Anna
quote:
Me too... But i think we must be patient because of the distance. [Wink]
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CoaCoa (Gormet, with Cinnimon)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If all these items really were labeled this way, Dan, I think your mystery Santa had to be Jon Boy.

Close. But I don't remember labeling them that way. Dan, you were supposed to get an email to look inside your gift. Try opening the lid. [Wink]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay, I just opened the Vosges chocolate, and it's exactly what i have been craving. I am going to eat it in very small bites so it lasts ages. Thank you once again!
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

You're welcome. I'm going to go have a bite of the Vosges chocolate bar I've been working on, too, so we can have some chocolate together. Mine's a different flavor, though. [Big Grin]

Added: And I think you'll find the Dagoba bar less spicy than the Vosges, and the truffles quite spicy. The truffles are too much for me, but you said you liked dark chocolate with chilies, so I wanted to give you a variety. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anna:

Yeah. Me, too. According to the timetable given by the post office, it should have arrived yesterday (Saturday). Ah, well. I know how things get gummed up in the mail so close to Christmas.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my gift today, but I don't know who it's from... there is a name that I do not recognize and a California address.

Whoever you are, thanks so much for the book! It looks good, I'll start it sometime after Christmas is over. Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Oh wait! I just found the note inside the book [Big Grin] Thank you littlemissattitude! I like it even more now that I know the reasoning. [Smile]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Choobak, I think I remember reading earlier in this thread that your person had gotten your gift.

::officially envious of the people in this thread who are eating Vosges::

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Also, I have been wondering since this morning... does the USPS normally deliver packages on Sundays? I thought it was very strange to find it in my door today.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No, they don't.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeni:
Oh wait! I just found the note inside the book [Big Grin] Thank you littlemissattitude! I like it even more now that I know the reasoning. [Smile]

You're very welcome, Jeni. I thought and thought about what I could send from this area that would communicate the local flavor, but Fresno and the surrounding area isn't really known for that much. So I thought I'd look for a book. And as soon as I walked into the bookstore, I thought of this author. By the way, the farm the author writes about in the book is only about four or five miles from where I lived up until March and while I don't know him, I've seen him around quite a bit.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Doh.

I went through an entire box of newspaper clippings used to package the cocoa looking for the mysterious note. I didn't think about hiding underneath the plastic lid.

WOW!

50th issue of Leading Edge.

I won't mind waiting for it.

Thanks Brinestone

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*unlurk*

I think Eddie has lost some weight.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the first two stories in it, Dan, and they're both very good. The first one is excellent. The art bothers me, but that's okay. [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
You're very welcome.
"...intriguing" is exactly the way my friend described it. Right before breaking out in hives. -sigh-
I do hope it wasn't too much pepper, though. If it is, erk, sorry!

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that USPS does do some Sunday deliveries. I once got one, though my delivery wasn't good news.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, it depends on the area, having just done a search on their website. Areas that have Sunday delivery will also be recieving Christmas Day delivery.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
aiua: no hives, just not used to the flavor. I will probably try it in small amounts. And, I won't have to worry about my family drinking it all, the way they ate most of the cookies.

And, I've read the book! Now I've got to get the rest of the series. Thanks again! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
I got a package from Kewdale WA Australia.
Looks like a warm place I should visit sometime; Especially the beach.

This CD is awesome so far, and thanks for the chocolate Imogen.

It's nice to see foreign packaging, ENERGY: 410kJ.
Most of us silly Americans still can't figure out how to migrate to metric. (I do not fit in that most.)
Track 4 is fine, btw.

Thanks, Imogen!

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mikelle,

Thank you! The bath salts are a perfect way for me to relax after my first semester of grad school - and did you know that my favourite scent is actually cherry? Either way, excellent job! Woo!

::happy dances way to bathtub, forgetting she just took a shower literally five minutes ago::

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*nervous* I hope mine gets there today...
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I'm glad it arrived. [Smile]

I actually really like track 4, but I figured I should warn just in case.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Apparently, it depends on the area, having just done a search on their website. Areas that have Sunday delivery will also be recieving Christmas Day delivery.

I must really be old. I remember the days when, during the Christmas mail season, we got two deliveries a day. That was in Southern California, by the way.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Huzzah!

Our Secret Santa gift arrived today -- thank you thank you Dan_Raven!

(weren't we lucky to have you again!)

Dan sent Strider and I a short story that he wrote -- it is *extremely* amusing Dan, it's great reading your work! And the book "October Sky" which i've heard good things about but neither Greg nor I have read. There's also a few candy canes and jujyfruits, and finally two drawing penned by Sasha! *grins* Where did Sasha get his inspiration, Dan? Tell him Greg and I both loved his picture. [Smile]

Thanks again! [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Shvester
Member # 8489

- posted      Profile for Son of Shvester   Email Son of Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Karl,
Sorry I didn't answer sooner but I have been tired lately. I have the translations (they may be slightly off but they are more or less accurate).

Heenay Mah Tov means "Here/This is what is good"
Yishmor means "Watcher or he who watches over us (referring to G-d).
Mekolot is referring to a scriptural passage and "mekolot" happens to be the 1st word
Poteach is a passage from our daily prayer and means "You open"
Ani is more commonly reffered to as "ani ma'amin" and the complete title translates to I believe (I am guessing "ani" is short for ani ma'amin and by itself ani is the hebrew word for I.
Ashrecha is the only word I do not know.
Ezri as a song is a the begining of a famous psalm (I am not sure exactly which one). The word Ezri means "My help or my salvation", and it comes from the hebrew root azar or "to help".
I hope you find my translation helpful

P.S. I just recieved 2 of your famous book thongs in the mail and appreciate you taking the time to make them for me and my mom. we were very happy to get them.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm ... Kettricken, thank you VERY much! I'm currently chowing down on some mmm mmm delicious chocolate ... my favorite was the pinkish colored one. Don't quite know what it was. But it was AMAZING. And I was just wondering what to do about getting another calendar ... problem solved! So yes, I am extraordinarily happy and now somewhat on a sugar high. Thank you very much and Merry Christmas!
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody had sent something for me. I received it yesterday in a buble pocket from the Texas. My first reaction was to burn it into fire to purify it from the Devil. After all, Bush is from Texas too [Razz]
But quickly, my open-minded personnality take advantage on my Old (and past) TV addict person.
I finally decided to take the mail and bring it in my home.

Great idea !! It was a mail from Kate with a delicious Real Texas Chili meal preparation !

Thank you Katie ! Now, with this preparation, i can impress my friends with a good Chili !

And thanks for the little word [Wink]

See ya !

P.S. : Can you explain the best way to prepare that ? I'm sure there is a better way than the one explained on the bag, no ?

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
SoS, I'm glad you got the book-thongs. Just wanted to send you a little "thankyou" for your gift. (And since Tante gets my vote as the brightest new star on the 'rack this year I wanted her to have one too. Tante, your posts always brighten my day. [Smile] )
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, shucks. Thank you so much, for your flattery (which I can never get enough of) and the really pretty book thong. Now my library book looks like it is wearing jewelry!

And I'm inspired to make some to gift to other people.

You are awfully sweet, Karl. Thanks. [Kiss]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I glad it arrived safe Leonide. We got a late start, but it was fine.

Although I like you guys a lot, I do hope that next year I get someone different, or I'll begin to believe that we are the only two people really on Hatrack, and that this is just a grand conspiracy for you to get my stuff.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, did you get them last year? *horrified*

I was afraid that would happen. I didn't keep any of the records from last year because I promised to keep everyone's information safe, so I didn't know if anyone was repeated. *facepalm*

I guess my brain really thinks that's a great matchup - it did it twice!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.T.
Member # 8665

- posted      Profile for K.T.   Email K.T.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*nervous* I hope mine gets there today...
IT DID!! IT DID!!! *tries to wipe off perma-grin*

Thank you Narnia!! I got home from a very long day at work and there it was, just waiting to be opened. I didn't have my lap-top at home so I couldn't post 'til this morning. It definately made my day. I LOVE the calendar! (Lighthouses...an odd shape...even better) I have not yet tried the fudge, although it looks delicious. [Big Grin]

Thank you, Thank you!!

K.T.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My person never acknowledged reciept of my present. And it was a really nice present, too. [Cry]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Aw...*goes to check*

Hmm..you had someone who is both a lurker and a college student. I'm guessing things are crazy and they are not near a computer. [Smile] I'll e-mail to make sure it got there. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Katie, I was just about to do the same, great minds think alike.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Do you want to do it, breyerchic? [Smile] You're much more diplomatic than I am.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Hmm..you had someone who is both a lurker and a college student.

According to my data, my giftee is in his/her late 20's.
katharina
Member # 827

Don't complain. [Smile] We'll do what we can, and no matter what, you can feel warm and fuzzy about giving a good present. [Smile]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I can, but you seem to be nicer, I just say it how it is, I guess that is diplomatic. [Wink]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

oh wow, I actually emailed him yesterday, and asked, so it's just that he/she hasn't replied to that either. Tante, s/he's probably offline
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
My person hasn't got my present yet, it seems. Overseas shipping might take a while, but since ElJay's to me was sent on the same day and got here days ago, I am slightly surprised...
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

could the customs be harder to get into the US? Or could it just be a fluke,
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Breyerchic, could you confirm that my person did receive my gift? I mailed it on the 9th (the same day that we mailed Boris's gift, and he got his ages ago).
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.