FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear Secret Santa... (Page 9)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Dear Secret Santa...
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, in my home, i have a delicious chocolate powder from switzerland (the other great country about chocolate) : Van Houten. Do you remember Katie ? It's the same i offer you for the breakfast when you came in Paris with your brother
I remember vividly. That stuff was incredible! I thought of it when I sadly bought Fat Free, Low Carb hot chocolate powder just before Christmas. It is just not the same - I miss that incredible powder.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad you had it, ElJay, I was starting to think it was lost [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm... A though goes through my head, Kate... I heard that Santa forgets some boxes in his bag... [Wink]

I may give him one or two advices...

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh my stars, if you are serious, that would be wonderful. *delighted*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Why not ? But I'm not sure if chocolate can get accross the customs... I'll see...
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I sent candies to ElJay, chocolate should go through, no problem. Van Houten... *drools*
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my package yesterday!

After battling Nathan for the box (he wanted to open it himself), I pulled out a rain stick.

...I love how the card inside said that it can be used for ambiance while looking at pictures of Seattle or for chasing Nathan around. This time, I think it was appropriate to chase Nathan. [Smile] Also some Seattle cookies, a package of soup that I'm interested in trying (I'm a new food weenie, so it's a challenge)...AND...

A book called The Lexicon of Stupidity. [Big Grin]

Many thanks, jeniwren. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No package yet. Two mailing days left in December. *taps foot impatiently*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate can pass through customs. When I came home from my mission, I brought an entire suitcase (no exaggeration) full of chocolates from Switzerland and France. Sadly, it only lasted a few months and then I had to go back and get more. That reminds me, I'm about due for another trip... maybe this summer..

Van Houten is divine.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, did you get Leading Edge? They said they mailed it December 18, so it should be to you by now, I think.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My person (not Tom) has not reported receiving their package yet, and has been online.

My understanding was that it should have gotten there early this week. *angst*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Menier, which I believe is from France. Technically, I guess it's a cooking chocolate, but unlike cooking chocolate made here, it's wonderful. Crumbly instead of waxy, and just a teeny bit salty. Many grocery stores around here sell it--which is good or bad, depending on your point of view. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka- yours might take a little longer to arrive than the post office estimated. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Tom- your gift is coming... it should be there any day now.

[Smile]

I've never heard of Menier. It sounds intriguing.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

yes ! Menier is well known but the company was rebought and now, i think its the property of Nestlé.
Menier is the first guy who manufactured chocolate tablette, into a golden paper during the XIXth century.
If you read french, you can learn more here.

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
My person also hasn't reported yet... but I haven't been online enough to see if my giftee has posted in other threads, so I'm not sure about that part.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't gotten mine yet, so I wonder if either rivka or Raia is my secret santa...

We'll see [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oops...
Member # 8981

- posted      Profile for Oops...   Email Oops...         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom_D, there is a thread for you about your present. I just got it back from the post office because the label somehow got wet and ran, so your present will be there in a few days. I am resending it today, as I just recieved it back last night.

Sorry about the wait, but I know it wasn't wet when I took it to the post office, it must have had another package leak on it of something.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, mac! I'm so glad you liked it! I had a wonderful time picking things out for you. [Smile] (That book made me laugh out loud, btw. I had to use the rain stick to keep my son from stealing it.)
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I see great things in that rain stick's future. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd...............

I have another Secret Santa !!!!!

In fact, Katharina send me a gift just for the pleasure, 'cause our Europcon in september. (thanks a lot !! I am touched in my heart !)

The secret santa for the gift exchange is another hatracker !!! C'est Noėl !!!! ouaiiiiiiiiii

So i recieve a wonderful box with lot of things :

Firstly : a coquillages "guiding" (you know, this suspended metal tubes who ring with the wind...)

Secondly, a beautiful decorative californian sun

Thirdly, a wonderful sea candle

and finally, the best : two packs of chocolates !! on with californian oranges, and the other with pineapple.

My dear Rivka ! I love you so much for all of that !!! I give you a kiss from France by this Hatrack thread ! [Kiss]

I'm really happy !!!
Thank you sooooooooooo much !!!! [Hat]

rivka
Member # 4859

*greatly relieved* [Smile]

I'm so glad you like your taste of sunny Southern California! Enjoy!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh. Rivka, did you send him TJs orange and pinapple sticks? He's gonna get hooked. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I sure did. [Big Grin]
Choobak
Member # 7083

héhéhé I love it ! [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Choobak, you should have seen Ketchup Princess when rivka brought orange sticks to DallasCon and everyone was feeding them to her. That was one happy little face.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Ooooooohh, I can imagine ! [Big Grin]

It's so good !

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I think the first thing you listed was wind chimes, no?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
So speaking of chocolate... has anyone here had Ritter Sport chocolates? I had some when I was over in Germany; I've seen a few flavors of Ritter Sport over here in the U.S., but none of the liqueur flavors, and that's even with checking a few international food stores. Their "Truffle whisky" flavor is VERY nice.

I found an online source -- link -- though I'm not excited about the idea of having to pay shipping to get chocolate, so unless I can find some in a store, I'll probably wait to order some until next time I'm giving chocolate as a present...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Boon:
[Smile]

I think the first thing you listed was wind chimes, no?

Yes.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Can people post adn say if they have not gotten their gifts at all, I need to check lists a fourth time. [Wink]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, you assigned Tom to Bean Counter, didn't you? [Wink]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

She's making a list, checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty and nice... [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Trader Joe's carries some Ritter Sport chocolate, but I'm not sure what off the top of my head. I'll check next time I got there, plaid.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
plaid, I LOVE Ritter Sport. I became a junkie when I was in Germany last spring. The most amazing flavor I ran onto was the white chocolate grapefruit. *dies* Fantastic.

In fact, I'd pay a large sum of money for some right now.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
breyerchic: I just came back to France. No gift yet, either in Romania or here. (I think I gave my Romanian address too, didn't I?)
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Corwin, yours was sent, but as far as I remember (without digging through ten threads here) maybe a day or two late, so that I'm sure it's on it's way.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess its just that the postals are all backed up, I am waiting for a package from FedEx, it should've been here in the 31st, but it isn't.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Well, I'm in no hurry*, but I was just wondering if it was sent to France or to Romania.

*after all I think I'm the last one to send it, I'm in no place to comment on this. [Wink]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Trader Joe's carries some Ritter Sport chocolate, but I'm not sure what off the top of my head. I'll check next time I got there, plaid.

Thanks! [Smile] I've checked out a few more stores, and saw a rum-flavored bar in one store, but generally, it does seem like the liqueur-flavored ones just aren't sold in the US.
plaid
Member # 2393

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
plaid, I LOVE Ritter Sport. I became a junkie when I was in Germany last spring. The most amazing flavor I ran onto was the white chocolate grapefruit. *dies* Fantastic.

Ooh, sounds interesting. (I mean, I usually don't like, actually, HATE grapefruit... but that does sound interesting.)

Weirdly enough, Ritter Sport's own website doesn't list liqueur flavors nor the grapefruit flavor. Hmff.

katharina
Member # 827

Tom was NOT assigned to Bean Counter. [Razz] I don't think Bean Counter played.

While we were occasionally amused by how the pairings ended up, I think we tried to avoid flat out opportunities to break out the yoga breathing exercises.

Hmm...so everyone except the two who have posted (plus Tom) have received their present?

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
This would be why it's better to have y'all doing match-ups than, say, me. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*grin* You talk tough, but I doubt you would have done any that were any more evil than we did. Several possibilities would have been hilarious, but I can't picture you sacrificing someone's fun for them.
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Razz] Everyone has a much better opinion of me than is warrented, really.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The bar is set kind of low here. [Razz] Your mischevious reputation could still be intact.
ElJay
Member # 6358

*grin* Good.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
The bar is set kind of low here.

There's a bar? Where?

<wanders off to look for the bar>

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Kat, as far as I can tell only 4 have not posted that they recieved their gifts, and the extra one is the one who we don't believe has sent it.
Corwin
Member # 5705

I think my gift has just arrived... in Romania. Hmm, now I think I shouldn't have given that address, as I have no idea when's the next time I'll go home. Anyway, I hope my parents have no problems getting it for me! And then they'll probably find someone who'll come to Lyon in the near future...
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.