FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear Secret Santa... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Dear Secret Santa...
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thank you so much human_2.0!!!

I arrived home to find a box waiting for me - even addressed to ludosti!! My tinniest kitten was using all her kitty powers to tell me that there were styrofoam peanuts inside (something she is obsessed with). I probably had to take her off the table about 8 times before getting to actually open my box!!

Hehehe! [ROFL]

quote:
Inside I found a box of wonderful dark chocolates and a beautiful rain stick (with a very fun and colorful sun on it)!!! I've always wanted one because I love the sounds they make, so this was a perfect gift! I even had fun demonstrating it for the cats (since hubby is asleep) - one thinks it's wonderful, one is both afraid and intrigued, and the other is hiding so she hasn't heard it yet. Chocolate, of course, is always perfect, especially when it's dark [Big Grin]

*giant hug* Thanks so much for brightening my day!!!

I'm really glad you liked them! The chocolate is from a local chocolate specialty store. I got the rain stick at an American Indian gathering that they have here yearly, and this particular stick came from Peru. It bugged my cat too! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
So my brother in NJ mentioned that a package from Ithaca arrived there for me... he didn't mention who sent it, but from reading the Ithacon thread and the gift threads, I'm guessing it's from kojabu, so, thanks!! [Smile]

(I won't get to open it until I'm there next week though... [Grumble] )

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.T.
Member # 8665

- posted      Profile for K.T.   Email K.T.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have toasty toes snugly encased in green, soft slipper socks (did you make those, Katy? they're awesome)
Yes, Shan, I made them. I got some last year and I wear them all the time!! I hope you enjoy yours.

The book is great (in my humble opinion)...and if you like it, there are 3 more in the series! I love finding books that I like, and then finding it is only the beginning. [Smile]

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
AAA!! I didn't get home until 6:05 last night, and they had closed the office. *pout* Tomorrow, I swear, I can pick it up. [Smile]

I hope it's not a puppy.

(KT, I need to call you. Will also happen tonight. Most of the stresses in my life are taken care of right now.)

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hope it's not a puppy.
*gulp*

[Wink]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Good guessing plaid, hope you enjoy it! [Smile]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
What book is it?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.T.
Member # 8665

- posted      Profile for K.T.   Email K.T.         Edit/Delete Post 
Katie, call my on Ali's cell phone, I will be with her! [Smile]
Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

...I'm not sure I have that number anymore. *looks guilty* I kept calling it looking for you, and I think I annoyed...Mr. Ali. Could you e-mail it to me?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
How long does Priority mail take? I mailed my person's gift on Friday and no news. Why can't the mail be faster? *taps foot impatiently*
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It should have gotten there, but I think your person is pretty busy.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I shipped a flat-rate Priority envelope that should have gotten to Risuena in 3 days at most, according to their estimate, and it took 4. I think even Priority is a bit slow right now. Emma's package should get there tomorrow, but who knows if it will.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Monday was supposed to be the worst day of the year to send packages so Friday was probably slow too.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yummy.... but now it's all gone.

maui babe... thank you so much for the candies and the mongoose. I just received your package this morning. (My birthday, btw.) I ate the nummy dried mangos, my favorite dried fruit. The yummy chocolates will be shared with family. Hehehe... the mongoose with the ukelele is so cute. And don't worry, mongoose rhymes with moose so it works out. I love the postcard. Is that an example of a nearby landmark? I am so going to have to go to Hawaii some day.

{{{maui babe}}}

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, larisse!!! [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie - I got it at the Target in Nashua... the one on 101A near the Texas Roadhouse.

=)

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, breyerchic, you're right. She has her hands very full. But Xavier's person hasn't mentioned theirs either. I think I will just keep blaming the post.

[ December 15, 2005, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Son of Shvester and I mailed our presents at the same time, and his recipient has received, but no word from mine.

I hope it didn't go astray. It should have arrived by now.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, mine from Son of Shvester actually arrived on Saturday. I just didn't see it in the door until I got home on Monday. (I don't use the front much since I park in the back. [Smile] )
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
In looking at what everyone is getting, I"m realizing the my gift is so lame. [Frown] I hope my person likes it, I did think about it...it just ended up looking like not much.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm sure it's wonderful. I know your giftee - they'll be delighted, I have no doubt. [Smile]
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the best part is just getting something in the mail from another hatracker. Personally, there's not much my person could get me that wouldn't make me jump with excitement. [Smile]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Larisse, I'm so glad you like it. The postcard is a picture of Twin Falls, a hiking trail on Maui's North Shore. I wanted to get something with a whale on it, but my daughter outvoted me. Did you like the dry powdery coating on the mango? It is call li hing, and it very popular here. You can buy many candies with it, mostly gummy bears and the like. I especially like it on fresh pineapple.

Happy Birthday! I wish I'd known it was close to your birthday... I'd have sent a card or something.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

My favorite part is the connection. It was so fun to have the oppportunity to send some joy to France and to receive some from New Jersey. This exchange has really captured the spirit of Christmas for me. It's sent threads of joy, kindness, and love around the world and tied us together a little tighter. (At least that's how I feel about it.) [Smile] Thanks guys!!!!
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Also, my daughter wanted to make sure that you knew that the "dancing flea" is the ukulele. The hawaiian word "uku" is used mostly for headlice, but can also be used for any tiny nuisance bug. I thought the little tag explained that pretty well, but just wanted to be sure.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Presents! I got mine! Thanks!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I'm happy you like the teddy bear, Brinestone ! He is made for baby, but i have to admit... I'd like to have the same for sleeping [Blushing]

Ask me, if you want french candies [Wink]

Bonsoir à tous et faites de beaux rêves !

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine! Thanks so much, Ryuko!

Ryuko sent me a bottle of maple syrup made in a town near where she lives. I don't make pancakes that often, but I'm gonna have to start! I opened it and snitched a spoonful, and it's wonderful stuff. The bottle is really pretty too, I'll definitely keep it after the syrup is gone. And that's a nifty little sketch on the note that was included, too--I had no idea you were so talented!

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Synth, I hope you like everything and that it all made it through the mail intact.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Yay! Presents! I got mine! Thanks!

So, what did you get?????????

quote:
Originally posted by Stray:
I don't make pancakes that often, but I'm gonna have to start!

Real maple syrup has some other uses, too. It can be a delicious glaze brushed on a baking turkey, ham, or chicken. It's a great marinade for salmon, too. You can use it to sweeten salad vinegar for a unique dressing for salads. You can use it to dip waffle sticks in. You can drizzle it over plain vanilla ice cream. You can make a peanut-butter-maple-syrup sandwich. You can mix it into plain cream cheese and make a fruit dip . . .

Mmmmmmmm. . . [/drool]

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Larisse, I'm so glad you like it. The postcard is a picture of Twin Falls, a hiking trail on Maui's North Shore. I wanted to get something with a whale on it, but my daughter outvoted me. Did you like the dry powdery coating on the mango? It is call li hing, and it very popular here. You can buy many candies with it, mostly gummy bears and the like. I especially like it on fresh pineapple.
[ROFL] You gave her li hing? Brave, brave soul.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Larisse!!! OMG, I got your gift this afternoon (Happy Birthday!!!) and it's so wonderful, thank you!! I can hardly say what my favorite part is, but I'm torn between the little wren figurine and the earrings and bracelet you made. They match what I'm wearing, so I'm going to put them on just after I post this. They're me to a T. Thank you SO much! And the stamp is totally up my alley as well. I'm really looking forward to using it. I don't have those scissors either, so they were a great choice. And I love the maps and brochures of your area -- that was a great choice. I'm looking forward to reading them. The stickers and paper were great too! I may use part of them in my present, which I'll be sending out tomorrow or Saturday. [Big Grin]

I'm so overwealmed and touched by your thoughfulness! Thank you, thank you! I hope your birthday has been a great one! It's certainly been a good one for ME.

:dancing smilie:

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

quote:
[ROFL] You gave her li hing? Brave, brave soul. [/QB]
It was a very small package...
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the post office today to mail [Blushing] my Secret Santa gift, and what do I find in my mailbox? A yellow slip saying I got a package. It's from WI. It's under the tree in all it's brown glory...all alone. [Big Grin] Who's it from? I don't remember who's from the land of cheese, and there's no name on the outside of the box, only an address. [Big Grin]

I can't *wait* 'til Christmas!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Emma got her package today! We picked it up from the P.O. while out running errands. Thank you so much, Mrs. M! (And Andrew and Aerin, as well. [Smile] ) I was thrilled when I saw what it was! You must have read this thread! We popped "No" in the cd player as soon as I managed to open it ( [Blushing] the only tool available was a pair of nail clippers...), and Emma was dancing from the first note! By the time we were done errand-ing, we had heard most of "Here Come the ABCs", too! Emma "sang along" with several songs, and we all got a kick out of them! *sings* Mostly cones for seeds, mostly needles for leaves, "C" is for conifer, my kind of tree... [Big Grin] Thank you thank you thank you! She will love them for years to come. [Smile]

We also got an envelope in the mail today. It was addressed to "The Ketchup Family", and I thought it might be about the exchange, but it wasn't. Inside was an unsigned card and a very, very generous gift. I didn't recognize the writing and I know too many people in the area it came from to know who did it. But if you're on Hatrack (I'm going to post this on Nauvoo, too, just in case), I want you to know that you brought tears to my eyes, as much for the love I could feel when I opened it as anything. Thank you very much, and I hope you know we really appreciate it.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Eddie!

Getting exactly one of those was on my list of things to do this weekend -- now I don't have to brave the stores. [Big Grin]

*greatly relieved*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What is it rivka?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Boon - I'd be the one from the land of the cheese. [Smile] (I promise the gift is NOT cheese.)

I must say that I am extremely impressed with the USPS right now. I sent it after 4pm on Monday and was told it would be a week. Glad to hear you got it... I hope you'll like it! [Smile]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Oh, also... if you unwrap the brown layer it will be able to sit there in even more (still fully wrapped) glory. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
What is it rivka?

One of these sets.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Xavier, thanks for the book! I've been meaning to check George R. R. Martin out.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I got some cool candie and stuff. Can't wait to taste it...
As long as this rabbit doesn't try to...
This caramel man is too cute to eat and I adore this little mug! That is awesome.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
This caramel man is too cute to eat
You'll be sad if he goes bad, though. One year during our annual sugar cookie decorating party, my sister (the artistic one) decorated a BEAUTIFUL angel just for me (I was about 7.) It had my eyes and hair and such and was "dressed" in my favorite color. I couldn't bring myself to eat it-- and it got moldy! [Frown] My mom threw it away. I would have been better off closing my eyes and biting its adorable head off, I missed out on a cookie.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I read a book that's whole premice was what you're describing KQ. That she didn't eat the chocolate horse, and it melted on her heater, so she couldn't eat it, and no longer had it to look at.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lesson in that. You can't have your chocolate horse and heat it too.

[ December 16, 2005, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I think that may have been in the book.
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Does hard caramel go bad? Because the Little Mexican Dude(tm) is hard caramel. And he is awesome isn't he?

And you really have to tell me what you think of the candies - I wasn't smart enough to get extras for my own enjoyment and I haven't tried those particular varieties yet.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Katie!!! Katie!!! I should feel honored that the lady organizing the shindig picked ME to give a present to. [Big Grin]

I just love the book you sent. (It's this one for those of you who are wondering.) I didn't even know such a thing existed and when I opened it, my sister gasped and snatched it out of my hands before I could even open it. It's going to be so fun to have that. I love the bath stuff too, it looks so luxurious.

Thank you for the thoughtful and perfect present! I feel so....known. [Smile] You're wonderful. *hugs*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
SYNESTHESIA--

SUDOKU, oh bless your heart. Thank you for 603 little sudokus for me to do while listening to this super CD that makes me want to be a femme fatale wearing a sexy/sleek outfit in my own movie. Maybe I'll just pretend in my room.

--JENNABEAN

Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and Maui babe... you ARE brave! I didn't send Li Hing Mui to my *giftee*. I went with Hurricane Popcorn...
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.