FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear Secret Santa... (Page 8)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Dear Secret Santa...
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
But it was such a nice gift, too. In my opinion it was worthy of a "Thank you".
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't know they're even online at all.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Secret Santa:

I just wanted to let you know I'm leaving town for the weekend tomorrow morning, and have put my mail on hold until Tuesday. So if my gift was sent via post and was going to arrive in the next couple of days, I will not receive it until then. If it was sent via some other method, a friend will be stopping by Saturday to check my house, and she will scoop it up and bring it inside for me where I will find it Sunday evening when I come home. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
It came today. Thank you Jay. I got a desk calendar with sports facts on it. It's one of those page a day calendars.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Actually, your nick was what prompted me. [Wink]

But, if you notice, I own Knife of Dreams.

In hardback.

(And I'm about two-thirds of the way through it and am enjoying it quite a bit, though I wish he would give more of the Egwene-in-the-White-Tower storyline, which I'm enjoying immensely, and less of the Mat-and-Tuon-riding-all-over-the-countryside-needling-each-other plotline, which isn't doing much for me. And I'm sad about Rand's hand.)

SPOILER WARNINGS, MAN!

I don't have the book yet. [Cry] Maybe for my birthday ... we'll see. I think need a printer more urgently than I need that book. Or several other things. But, someday, I'll read it. Besides, I need to read two or three of the previous books to refresh my memory first. [Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...it's reaching the end of the range the post office gave me for delivery of my gift, but my giftee hasn't posted since Dec. 11th. They're a college student, so perhaps they don't have regular internet access from home. Guess I'll have to wait till after the break to find out if they liked it *sigh*
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry--I've been vague enough that I don't think I've really given anything substantial away.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I just posted this in the wrong thread. My new mom brain just doesn't work right.

quote:
I'm so sorry I'm late with my thank you. Valentine014 sent 3 adorable onesies for Aerin, in my favorite pink from The Children's Place, one of my favorite stores. The best part is that they fit her now. Thank you Valentine014!

kq, I'm glad Emma likes the CDs. I would've liked to do something more elaborate and special, but I just didn't have the time. I did read that thread and I was so happy that I could at least send something I knew y'all didn't have and wanted.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry I didn't post about recieving my gifts, right after finals I went down to Mexico to help build 3 houses for poor families. (I'll post a link to all the pictures taken on the trip once they are online if anyone is interested.)

Anyways, THANK YOU Tante for the miniature Christmas tree and all the decorations. I haven't had time to decorate the tree, but I am currently listening to the cd you sent.

Jesse

P.S. KQ, I'm glad you liked the book and the marbles. I go to Mines and love the fact that the marbles have the same diameter in every direction even though they are not circular. I have my own set and love putting a book on top of them and rolling it across the table. (Yeah, that's my not so inner nerd talking.)

[ December 23, 2005, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Eisenoxyde ]

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
<---- wants to see a photo of the mine marbles. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go Karl: http://www.alumnifriends.mines.edu/Alumni/miners_pick/mines_marbles.htm
Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

Ah, three-dimensional Rouleaux triangles [Smile] That's what I thought they'd be. I did a paper on two-dimensional shapes of constant width for a math class a while back, but never really thought about them in three. Very cool!
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! I'm so glad that you liked it! (and received it -- I was worried) Enjoy, and may your Christmas be everything that you wish it to be.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have my own set and love putting a book on top of them and rolling it across the table. (Yeah, that's my not so inner nerd talking.)

That's so cool! I wish I could try it right now, but Emma just stole them all and won't tell me where she hid them. [Roll Eyes] So I'll have to find them first...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I went down to Mexico to help build 3 houses for poor families. (I'll post a link to all the pictures taken on the trip once they are online if anyone is interested.)
Yes, please!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eisenoxyde:
Here you go Karl: http://www.alumnifriends.mines.edu/Alumni/miners_pick/mines_marbles.htm

Those look really cool. I may have to order a set. Thanks for the link.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
They are really cool! *has reclaimed her marbles from babydom*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody,

Thank you so much for my gift! Goody hand-stitched a Christmas tree ornament for me. It is a Christmas tree. It is beautiful and very thoughtful. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Allegra

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this is the best Christmas EVER.

And I'm Jewish.

This morning, as I entered class (no snow this morning - but DAMN close!), I greeted my good friends with a "Merry Christmas" blessing, and they replied with "Happy Birthday" (long story, bottom line is I'm Jesus, a friend of mine is the fired Holy Ghost and Antichrist, and anothe friend is God). We had a test in theology, in which I heavily criticised the Kozari's opinions, and had a seminar in First Aid.

We finished school very early today because it's Hanukkah Eve, and came back home. After relaxing for a bit I got a notification that mail was sent to "Howard". I went down to the PO and found out that The Rabbit sent me a lovely book, "Where Rivers Change Direction", by Mark Spragg.

Coming back up the stairwell the light lit up, and a neighbour of mine gave me heaps of Jeans and shirts that her son (now in the army) never bothered to wear.

Plus, it's only 16:00, and I've got tutoring, not to mention more stuff that might happen this eve.

So THANK YOU, thank you everyone, thanks to all who made this day so great. In greatest particularity The Rabbit, for the book. Not only did my gift arrive at erosomniac's place two hours before he had to leave for the airport, but my gift arrived ON CHRISTMAS! And on the best time of it, too!

THANK YOU.
Jonathan

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Boris,

Thank you for the book! A friend borrowed my copy a few years ago and I never got it back. I'm so happy to have it again. You chose well- it's the best quilting reference book I've ever used before. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Allegra, I'm glad you liked it! And the original pattern was for "just" a tree, but my 8 year old insisted that it needed a star on top! [Smile]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eisenoxyde:

AW! I want those!!!!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my gift from Allegra yesterday. I got an adorbale card with happy children, Lindt truffles, a glowing computer goddess and a sabd castle in a box kit. I can't wait to try it out!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Jeni!

I got a dessert fondue pot shaped like a giant Hershey's Kiss, warmed by a tea candle, and full of Hershey's Kisses! How awesome! It even has recipes!

I've always wanted a fondue pot, but could never justify the actual purchase. It's something I've wanted but would never buy for myself! Thank you!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks kojabu!

I've got a couple of whoa-now-THAT'S-strong dark chocolate Ithaca art bars, and such appealingly random objects as a Mafia pencil, an ornate sword-shaped tie clip (which will be put to excellent use when I put on my clip-on tie to play a game show host), and something that looks like the head of a demented green chipmunk (for putting on my bulletin board).

Yay! Thanks!! [Cool]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by amira tharani:
LMA, I'm really pleased you liked it. [Big Grin] Let me know what you think of the CD, when you've listened to it. I'm glad it finally arrived - I was beginning to worry that it would never get there!

Amira...I finally got to listen to the CD last night. Been busy around here. Anyway, I love it. A lot of the songs seem like they have a very sixties vibe to them, which is wonderful. I don't have the CD right here in front of me to do a more detailed commentary, but I like all of the songs a lot. Now, I just have to find out more about the artists. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus !!! your snowmen's pictures are great !!! I still laugh now !!!! thanks for that !
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Plaid was it too dark for your tastes? I love the stuff personally, I suppose you could say I'm a dark chocolate snob.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Romany, I would really like to see what a computer goddess looks like.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

kojabu -- nah, it's fine, it's a bit stronger than I'm used to, so I've just been nibbling on it in smaller quantities than usual. (Lasts longer! [Big Grin] )
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

plaid, that's what I had to do when I got a bar of 70% dark chocolate...I'd gnaw off slivers until I'd ingested maybe an ounce, tops, and I'd be good for the rest of the day. It lasted forever!
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh... I don't think it's possible to get too dark for my taste. I don't particularly like milk chocolate... the darker the better!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(which will be put to excellent use when I put on my clip-on tie to play a game show host),
Now that's a story I want to hear about, plaid!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, I had an 85, that was like eating coccoa. Yuck.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been known to eat cocoa before... [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'll eat hot chocolate powder!
ElJay
Member # 6358

I love 85% chocolate. I haven't tried anything higher, yet, but 85% doesn't seem like it would be at the upper ends of my tolerance level.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I like 75%, with ginger in it prefferably, though some of the other options work quite well too.
ElJay
Member # 6358

It came it came it came! And it's from Anna!

Thank you, Anna! I'm eating one of the candies right now, and it's quite yummy, and the bath beads and cubes smell delicious! I can't wait to try them! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

I didn't even look at the rest of my mail, I just wanted to open my package. [Big Grin] And I was so excited when I saw it was from you! Thank you so much. [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I read "I'm eating one of the candles right now" and did a quick double-take.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be a little chewey. [Eek!]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
quote:
(which will be put to excellent use when I put on my clip-on tie to play a game show host),
Now that's a story I want to hear about, plaid!
Um, not too much to tell. Back at East Wind, when we put on talent shows/coffeehouses, my own conribution would be to dress up like Alex Trebek and host our own version of "Jeopardy" ("I'll take 'Fires and Explosions' for $500, Alex!")

Anyway, I'm moving back to community soon (Acorn Community in Virginia), and next time I do a game show I wanna try to do "The Price is Right." (Which reminds me, while I'm here at my brother's and actually around a TV set, I should watch a couple episodes to refresh my memory of what the show's like...)

Icarus
Member # 3162

I tried some 80% chocolate from Germany last year and it was disgusting. On the other hand, that chocolate one of you brought to BobNDanaCon had a really high percent, but it was yummy. But, as I recall, it had other flavorings mixed into it, like port (which I love) and stuff.

So I stand by my contention that 80% pure chocolate with nothing added is inedible.

(I actually still have most of that year-old bar in the fridge.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

I had some 80% Italian dark chocolate and it was absolutely fabulous. It was so dark that you had to let it sit in your mouth and melt to get the flavor out and when it came, it was wonderful.

Ah Icky I was wondering if you were going to bring that bar up!

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Tastes like soap.

>_<

plaid
Member # 2393

Hmm, I looked at the Art Bar chocolate you gave me, kojabu, and it's 58%. I've had 70% chocolate before and liked it OK, but for some reason this 58% chocolate tastes stronger -- maybe the bar has less sugar than usual?

(I do like it though. kojabu, do you know if it's available outside of Ithaca?)

kojabu
Member # 8042

You can get it shipped from the website on the wrappers. I don't know it off the top of my head, but if you google Ithaca Fine Chocolates or Ithaca Art Bars it'll probably come up. I like the art that comes with them, I've gotten some cool works.

Edit: Yuppers, you can get them lots of places.
Linky!

[ December 28, 2005, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: kojabu ]

Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very lucky about chocolate : each time i go in Belgium to see my sweetheart, i can buy some of the best chocolate.

I love it (not more than my Delphine, but a lot [Smile] )

Actually, in my home, i have a delicious chocolate powder from switzerland (the other great country about chocolate) : Van Houten. Do you remember Katie ? It's the same i offer you for the breakfast when you came in Paris with your brother.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
so... plaid....

you don't actually get to watch TV while living in community, so you all make up your own shows? Actually sounds like fun!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Farmgirl --

Depends on the community. East Wind, where I was at, had a satellite dish (actually, TWO satellite dishes), and so TV was always available (not that I watched it much). At Acorn (and nearby Twin Oaks), in Virginia, folks have TVs, but they don't use them for watching commercial TV, but use them for watching videos/DVDs. (So, for example, folks wouldn't have watched Firefly back when it was airing on Fox... but once it was out on DVD, they might watch it, once they didn't have to put up with the @#$%&* commercials.)

But in general, while folks like watching movies once or twice a week, folks tend to entertain themselves a lot more (games, music, hiking/biking/canoeing, etc.)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.