FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone see Big Love (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Anyone see Big Love
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicki keeps lying all the time, plus it means Bill has to be bothered by that evil weasel faced father of hers. I hate that guy.
Though he has a cool guitar, he's such a JERK! Their extended family members serious scare me.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
It is the Mormon Mafia.
They are scarier than the Sopranos, they just sort of appear places.
Nicki's character is the most interesting for me. I do not like her one bit, but I think she is going to add some spice to things as time goes by.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't decide if Nikki is plain evil or just so insecure she attempts to manupulate people into liking her.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
She knows how to fix stuff, that's cool. And she's rather strong, but she still is just so frustrating. 60,000 DOLLARS? I wouldn't have a debt that high for credit cards. Is she NUTS?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, she's nuts when it comes to credit cards and that's Great Badness(tm) but I can't decide if her personality in general is Evil or Insecure.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
It was my understanding that Bill's first wife, Barb, became extremely ill (cancer?). Bill apparently was not the well off store owner that he is now, and had to borrow a large amount of money from Roman Grant in order to pay for Barb's medical bills. I believe it was an additional requirement of their deal that Bill would marry Nikki, Roman's daughter, who also assisted in taking care of Barb during her illness. Bill was obviously desperate, as he also let Roman work his way into getting a percentage of the profit from Bill's first store. At least this is what I've been able to glean from my viewing of the show, without doing any additional research into the matter.

As for Margene, who knows? Maybe the 2nd wife was a catalyst for Bill to embrace the lifestyle. I imagine we'll hear more about their courtship in future episodes.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are right on the money Fits, but who really knows. I have never watched a show where I know so little about the main characters. They spend all their time telling us what of going wrong and not letting us get to really know who they are and what motivates them. In their effort ot Out Desperate ABC's Sunday night show they are forgetting some basic tennets of story telling.

I'm getting bored with it.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I thught the scene where Ben lost his virginity was one of the saddest things I have ever seen.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I am enjoying it more and more.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Did anyone see the season finale?

/

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
I thught the scene where Ben lost his virginity was one of the saddest things I have ever seen.

It was. He didn't seem to enjoy it... Poor thing.

I haven't dled it yet. The season finale

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

well, dagnabit, get to it! So few people watch it, and I have no one to talk to about it!
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Ok. I'll dl it if my darn comp can stop blue screening for a few minutes...
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I watch it.

I cried when Margene got Baptized in the back yard. I don't even know why. I'm such a mess.

But, uh.... Yeah, I thought it was awfully weird how suddenly Wanda is running around ***SPOILER*** poisoning people.

They just sort of threw that storyline in there from out of nowhere.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Yeah, that part was rather sweet. I don't know why that other chick wants her kids raised by those creepy people... Gods, they annoy me. especially that weasle looking man.
Cannot stand him
But he has a guitar and that is cool.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

He has THE guitar!

Spoilers
:
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
TL, I was also surprised by that! I gues she poisoned the dad, too, then. I actually loved the scene.

The young sister-wife is So messedd-up.

And I cried when Barb was exposed. That was just so very sad.

What I like about the program is that it shows two different views of polygamy. One is the stereotypical, freaky, young exploited girl view, the more cultish side. The other is just a family who chooses this philosophy and makes it work no better or worse than any family makes their life work.

I really love this show.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Exposed?

As in

Credit card debt? That was just stupid of her. 60,000 dollars. Geez.

TL
Member # 8124

Exposed as in watch the episode already, exposed.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I put the spoiler semi-colons in for you, Syn, sheesh.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Ooops
You meant Barb.
I like her. She's my favourite wife.
I don't know why he just doesn't keep her and lose the other wives.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

well, I think she feels that way as well.
But then it wouldn't be the show it is!
In fact, i think HE feels the same way.

TL
Member # 8124

Who does? Now you're not making sense.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Bill. He loves Barb best too. I adore Barb. She's very smart and logical and leads well and is just quite classy.
TL
Member # 8124

Oh. I don't know. I don't actually think Bill likes any of them 'best' but I could be wrong about that. Barb is kind of selfish, at times. Well, I mean, just look at what happened... She never should have... Well, you know what I'm talking about.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

>.<
not until this finishes dling and between the blue screens and the pop ups I'll never know!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

tl,
I find Bill to be the selfish one.
Barb is pedantic.
Nicki is conniving.
Margene is naive, but much smarter than any of them think.

TL
Member # 8124

I think Bill's awesome. That speech he gave to Margene that one time, 'you are part of this family, and we are part of a line of ancestors stretching into the past, and into the future' or whatever it was he said.

He won me over with that speech.

With that speech he had me thinking, hey, Polygamy really *is* the way! Who knew?

TL
Member # 8124

Margene's probably my favorite.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Margene's adorable. I really like Barb too.

I think Nikki has potential. Yesh she's Evil/Scared/Insecure but if they let us see a little more of her pain maybe we can grow to love her.

Honestly, I think Bill is a minor character in the story next to the women. I love seeing them interact.

Oh, and I got all misty at Margene's baptism too =)

Pix

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if having polygamous ancestors changes the squick factor at all for watching this show.

I went to the conference for the Mormon History Association a few weeks ago, and I've been on a polygamy mini-kick ever since. For every historical picture of a lonely third wife neglected by her husband and condescended to by his "real" family, there is a picture of fiesty women such as Eliza R. Snow Smith Young or Emmeline B. Wells brawling in the streets of Salt Lake City with Susan B. Anthony, insisting that polygamy served the rights of women by freeing them from the ties to home and allowing them to go into the world and make a mark without leaving their children by the side of the road. In the days before birth control and when the only real security for a woman was to marry someone who would take care of them, it was a viable choice for a non-wealthy woman who wished for some practical freedom.

I think it might be like being unmarried. Some people find it liberating, and other people find it incredibly lonely.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I hereby promise to make all of my future wives feel loved and appreciated.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kat,
For me, this show has opened a whole new line of thought on the topic.
I guess I never thought of it as squicky, just not for me.
In a world where people had to band together to survive, it made sense. In a world where people had to get as many children to help them out, it made sense.
But in this world, now, i don't really see it as NOT making sense. I think the show does a really good job of showing the freakish compound life vs. the "normal" polygamist family life that Bill and his wives lead.
My heart broke for barb when she was exxposed.

I don;t know, I just think this is an excellent show, and I am seeing things in a new light.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Exposed?
I'm going to watch it soon because I am so CURIOUS.

I don't think I'd like to be polygamist. I want a person all to myself. Mine, mine mine. I'd have to chase those other hussies off with a stick.

*laughs* hussies

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Syn: What if they other Hussy(ies) were your wife too? Not Sister Wives like in the show but actual wives.

I don't think I'm cut out for that, but I can see the benefits. Especially for women like me and thee.

Pix

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

But it would be so annoying to have to share with them... TO be laying in bed missing that fellow because he's with someone else because polygamy is sadly not about rolling on pillows and oil like some would think it is.
It's about arguing and being jealous.
But, at least one would get help with stuff... I could force one of the other wives to clean so I don't have to....

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Maybe He's off with wife #2, but you're there with wife #3.

Seems rather blissful.

Except the whole jealousy and "OMG I love 2 of my spice but the other is just a total beeyotch" and "Who ate the hamburger I was going to make for tonights dinner" and the feeling of being left out because A loves B more than you and C only got in this thing because she loves D...

Ok... not so blissful...

Still, I see the upside.

Pix

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Wife # 3 eh?

But it's never like that... Wife #3 would be like ARE YOU OUT YOUR MIND!!!!!
Somethings are more fun to fantasize about I reckon than to live.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

That meddling woman
Why'd she have to do that in front of everyone?
Barb was so crushed
Poor her [Frown]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

So, it was the young wife of Romsn who "told?"

She is so creepy.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I thought it was that anti-polygamy chick... The one who earlier was scoffing at polygamists.
Yes, that's the one it was.

I don't like her. Poor Barb. She made her so sad.

Also Bill's family is nuts. If you shook a walnut tree they'd all fall out... Antifreeze

But... He was threatening the kid though.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, Syn, I think the other woman was THINKING about exposing Bill through Barb. She was there, but I do not think she did it. Roman made the call. I think the other woman(the secretary) decided not to, and felt really bad when she saw what happened.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I don't know. She sure did seem to be the one who did it. The younger wife just seemed to want to escape somehow and had no idea how to do that...
I don't think Roman made the call because he was too busy worrying about his son.

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
It was most definitely Roman who made the call. It shows him on the phone saying "Yes, I would like to talk to someone about this evening's ceremony." Not only that, but the woman who works for Bill looked surprised and somewhat sad about what happened.

Oh, and though the young wife didn't make the call, she was obviously the one who told Roman about the mother of the year ceremony. As he makes the call, she is shown looking on with a smug look of revenge-fed satisfaction.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, that's how I remember it.
i think the secretary's,plan was to "out" them afterwards, or maybe she changed her mind.

But I do think it was the little psycho who told Roman, because she was angry with Barb for letting her go back to the compound.

In a way, BArb is the most naive.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

That does make sense. I didn't even think of that...
Hmmm...
I reckon that poor Bill is screwed.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Many times!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sorry, moderators.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

On all sides.
Poor fellow. With those insane people in his family, Roman's son anti-freezed, who knows what will happen to him? And what about his business.
His life really sucks...
And I felt so bad for Barb because shse really is rather naive and I felt bad for Nikki when she freaked out.
She looked rather fetching in that dress.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, but here's the thing.
If I knew the owner of Home Depot in Springfield was a polygamist, I would not care.
So, I don;t really buy that as a terrible thing.
Is it because it is a Mormon town, and the Mormons will reject a polygamist-owned business?

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Probably. They will be like, you people give us a bad name and are relics so we will not support you or something.
I don't care as long as folks don't marry 14 or 15 year olds or teenages in general.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.