FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fun stuff on youtube today (Page 19)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Fun stuff on youtube today
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My favorite is "Most people have an above average number of arms."
I used this in a Year 5 maths class to demonstrate why mean was not always the best way at finding a sensible average.

"But what about people who have THREE arms?!"
"Hardly anyone has three arms, if anyone at all."
"What about FOUR ARMED MUTANTS?"
"They don't exist."
"How do you KNOW?"
"For the purposes of this conversation, let's ignore them and their three-armed cousins."
"ARM-IST!"

etc.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
George Lucas Strikes Back.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
That was awesome Sa'eed. If only it were based on a true story!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Fight the Debt Limit

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
hahahahahahahahahaha

oh god, sinophobia marketed to conservatives as they desperately try to find a new fear issue to market themselves with

WELP better get used to it

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ain't ever been a fan of talent shows...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVflKxMN7wk
...but that's Onstage Presence

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:

I know, right? I was stunned. The guy has never performed in front of people, and he sounds and performs like the second coming of Frank Sinatra.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Some brilliant marionette work.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I missed that, but it was a real treat to have Sinatra back for a moment.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
First World Problems Rap
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Singer for the Dead

I wonder if she was inspired by OSC.

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Stretching the definition of "fun" there. Jesus, his mother, and his step-father.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheerful and oddly touching music video about two kids on an adventure.

I'm particularly captivated because it's essentially a recreation of a private fantasy I've imagined, down to the fact that the two kids are hispanic.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing that Raymond, brought back lots of memories from my own childhood adventures!

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you have the video starting 1:19 in?

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

When I click the link it starts at the beginning. Not sure what's up.
DSH
Member # 741

Hmmm, every time I click (well ok, the 3 times I clicked) it starts at 1:19.

Anyone else?

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Oh wait, this time it did happen. Huh.

Well, my guess is that I happened to be at 1:19 when I copied the url, and that somehow mattered. Or maybe that video just likes jumping to 1:19.

DSH
Member # 741

OK, I did some research (I happen to know you can link to a certain time in a video other then 0:00, I just didn't know how)

Your link ends with "#at=79". I think this is being interpreted by Youtube as a deep link to 79 seconds into the video (or 1:19).

It's not exactly the format Youtube asks for which is why it doesn't always work.

Or I could be completely wrong. It happens all the time. [Smile]

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
A fun song cover featuring a plastic cup.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The correct tag for a youtube video you want to start midway through the clip is,

#t=0m0s

Replace the 0s with the appropriate (m)inute and (s)econd.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU34pdvi07c&feature=topvideos_music

In Polish but awesome nevertheless

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

In case you wanted a ridiculously high production value parody music video
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
In case you wanted a ridiculously high production value parody music video

I actually did want something like that, and I shall watch it many times!
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
This is from the London comicon, and it makes me sad due to the fact that I don't live in San Diego.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Just reminds me that
"...the old trails have disappeared into neighborhoods
With streets named after what's gone for good..."

[ July 31, 2011, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Chatbots talking to each other.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

Nice work [Wink]
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

That's pretty awesome Syzmon.

Bizarre, creepy but unnecessarily well edited Cinderella/Frollo music video

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That's absolutely awesome Syzmon. I LOVE people who have too much time on their hands.

Raymond that was disturbing. Even more disturbing are that there are a whole series of them! Though I have to say, the editing is pretty impressive.

If we're doing remixes of classics, I much prefer Expialidocious and Bangarang

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I'm still on a bit of a disturbing kick, so here's Scary Mary. (It's less disturbing than the Cinderella/Frollo one for several reasons, not least of which is that I can actually follow the chain of logic that led to someone actually deciding to create it in the first place). I think I might have posted it here already, but it seemed relevant.
Szymon
Member # 7103

Oh, c'mon, sure it's stupid, but it's fun. It definitely requires some talent..
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Gomm "Passionflower"

[edit to add] My brother suggests it would have been better to listen without watching the video the first time, just to hear the music. The visual aspect can be added the second time through.

[ November 20, 2011, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Arnold ]

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow

Wow

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I just keep watching it over and over. My brother says he's got to have a savant kinda thing happening because human brains just don't work that way.

[edit to add] My brother is an accomplished guitarist, but his first comment was that he would not be attempting to play this song "in the near or distant future."

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I love that you can see the scars on his guitar so clearly. It's obvious he's spent a very long time working on this style.
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a second Marcel the Shell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta9K22D0o5Q&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I can't tell you how many times I've listened to this song this week:

Walk off the Earth covers Gotye "Somebody That I Used to Know" - 5 musicians, 1 guitar

The original song and video is also really beautiful: link

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Awesome song!
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Animusic
Strider
Member # 1807

Very cool Glenn!

This one is a bit older, but it was a really powerful video uploaded by a teen, who was struggling with being gay and being bullied, that's worth checking out if you missed it.

Not exactly a "fun" video, but still...

Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
Animusic

Check out the actual machine.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Speaking of Gotye, did you see their music video for Bronte?

The song with the video combined is beautiful. Every time I watch it I have to rethink whether I'm happy or sad at the end.

Strider -

Where'd you first find that video? A friend of mine just told me about Gotye and that video a few days ago. Reddit? It's a great video. The guitar thing is kind of neat, but really that's an impressive collection of singers in general.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

A friend linked to it on facebook Lyrhawn. This guy is up on this sort of stuff all the time, I saw on the first day when it was stuck at the magic 302. It was the first time I had heard of any of these people.

Then a few days later I noticed the actual Gotye video and I got sucked into that one.

That Bronte video is excellent. Reminded me of Miyazaki. All his videos are out there. He calls them "film clips".

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Bronte certainly has the quality of a film clip. It's practically a short film, with a very clearly defined plot and message. Miyazaki was my first thought as well.

I like the Walk Off the Earth version better, I think, just because I don't think Gotye's soft style is best for every song, though it's beautiful on Bronte.

Strider
Member # 1807

I think the walk of the earth version is really creative and interesting. And I like the added percussion and base in it. But the Gotye version really grew on me after I found it. I find the song to be more emotional and painful in his version. I gained an appreciation for the song that I don't think I could've gotten from the wote version.
EarlNMeyer-Flask
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for EarlNMeyer-Flask           Edit/Delete Post 
Good animation of apoptosis with brownian motion
Posts: 338 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
I think the walk of the earth version is really creative and interesting. And I like the added percussion and base in it. But the Gotye version really grew on me after I found it. I find the song to be more emotional and painful in his version. I gained an appreciation for the song that I don't think I could've gotten from the wote version.

After listening to it several times last night, I think I agree.
aspectre
Member # 2222

For real... Look! Up in the Sky! ...and it ain't Superman.
ZachC
Member # 12709

- posted      Profile for ZachC   Email ZachC         Edit/Delete Post 
USC band performing one of my favorite songs:
http://youtu.be/Hc8usPlAYbg

Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
For real... Look! Up in the Sky! ...and it ain't Superman.

Hopefully Chronicle doesn't end up being the huge disappointment that history suggests it will be.

Would have been neat if they'd done this around more people with more cameras to catch the reactions. But it was still clever.

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.