FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fun stuff on youtube today (Page 11)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Fun stuff on youtube today
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The Viva la Vida meets Love Story video is a new favorite around here. My daughter wants it played at her wedding and has said that now she would like to marry a musician because people who can arrange music and play it that well are very impressive. [Wink]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
The Viva la Vida meets Love Story video is a new favorite around here. My daughter wants it played at her wedding and has said that now she would like to marry a musician because people who can arrange music and play it that well are very impressive. [Wink]

::starts taking piano lessons::
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
All my girls have crushes on musicians...my 11 year old crushed big time on the guy who plays piano and teaches choir at our church. My oldest is 16, so you have plenty of time to learn piano before she would be ready to we. [Wink] She says piano is more impressive to her, but she loves to listen to the violin. Our church musicians on Sunday morning are a pianist, a violinist, and a cellist, and I absolutely love listening to them.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

I'm more of a singer myself. Though i AM teaching myself to play piano. But yea - i think that video is absolutely stunning.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
The best chair in the world... for sensitive genitals.

You had me at "try without underwear."

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Speed, I about wet myself. [ROFL]

No offense everyone, but I think I just found the coolest youtube video in this thread. Bruce Lee playing ping pong.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Giant Cupcakes

If you want 25x as much cake as you'd get in an ordinary cupcake, here's an idea: Bake a damn cake.

Who comes up with this crap?

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to post the we didn't start the flame war video in here, for posterity.

Here's some cool videos I've been watching recently(apologies if any of them are repeats):

The Piano - sad and sweet animation to "Comptine d'un autre été", a song from the Amelie soundtrack.

Bathtub IV - A very cool video done in a time lapse style mixed with a style of photography called " tilt shift". from wikipedia:

quote:
Tilt is used to control the orientation of the plane of focus (PoF), and hence the part of an image that appears sharp; it makes use of the Scheimpflug principle. Shift is used to change the line of sight while avoiding the convergence of parallel lines, as when photographing tall buildings.

In many cases, "tilt-shift photography" refers to the use of tilt and a large aperture to achieve a very shallow depth of field.

From what I understand the video uses that style and selective blurring of the image to achieve a miniature effect in the film.

wingsuit base jumping - this might be the coolest thing I've ever seen. could you imagine what it feels like to fly? well these guys can.

subprime - neat and really well done animation.

[ July 02, 2009, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't YouTube, but I thought this might be a good place to post it.

Link

It's sort of an animated web Rube Goldberg machine thing that's an ad in Dutch.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: You might surprised to know that Orson Scott Card linked to that very site in one of his Uncle Orson Reviews Everything column a few months ago.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Really? That's odd... I didn't think I'd missed any of his Uncle Orson columns. I must have flaked.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

i should probably edit the thread title to something like, "cool media on the internet today" or something like that. most of my links above were vimeo links. and there's lots of good stuff that comes out of collegehumor or sites like that as well.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Hugh Laurie Polaroid ad from the 80s. I was online trying to find the new Permaseal ad they have with House, but apparently it isn't available online. This was cute, though.
anonymous
Member # 486

- posted      Profile for anonymous           Edit/Delete Post 
The first of three songs about United Airlines breaking this artist's guitar: United Breaks Guitars
Posts: 54 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Tom Paxton did something like that to Republic Airlines back in 1992 (lyrics, mp3).
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
This guy, Mike Rayburn, actually came and performed at my highschool when I was a freshman or sophomore. A couple of weeks back I thought to look him up on Youtube. Some pretty awesome guitar-picking and vocal impersonation.

Saudi Arabian Bluegrass

Led Zeppelin sings Dr. Suess

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
How to Kill a Mockingbird

For real

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this has been posted in the past and I'm far too lazy to check, but this is probably my favorite video on youtube. It's an adorable tale of a growing boy...
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Not on YouTube itself, but...

'Funky Cold Medina' and 'Wild Thing' are the Same Song

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
The second song in Dave Carroll's United Breaks Guitars set has been posted. While not as catchy as the first song it's still quite amusing.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't fun so much as it is frickin amazing. Excellent cover.

A capella cover of Ben Folds' "The Luckiest"

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

K, I know this is cheesy, but I'm gonna post it anyway. This is a clip from a tv show aired last summer, "High School Musical, Get in the Picture" - It has little to do with HSM.

I love this clip for what I think is a really cool interpretation (musically, and lyrically) of Jason Mraz's Remedy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ71QcxoUhM&feature=related

lem
Member # 6914

Because sometimes you have to remember how great it was.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
Not on YouTube itself, but...

'Funky Cold Medina' and 'Wild Thing' are the Same Song

Brilliant. This is how those songs were meant to be listened to.

I want to hear an overlay of all the hits by KC and the Sunshine Band, though. They're also all the same.

Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
Because sometimes you have to remember how great it was.

That Leroy Green is a chump. Jive talking wanna be master. He should be kissin my Converse.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff's Posse
Member # 3649

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff's Posse           Edit/Delete Post 
You tell em Sho!
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Link.

Um. It's like reading 10 pages of mindless Facebook updates.

But in a sort of good way.

Armoth
Member # 4752

Lisa. That was AMAZING.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Extreme Sticky Note Experiments. From the folks who brought you Diet Coke + Mentos.
Armoth
Member # 4752

Even Hitler thinks Kanye was outrageous to Taylor Swift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0PwqvwyG54

Lisa
Member # 8384

Comic Relief - Catherine Tate & David Tennant

Honest to God, I laughed so hard I had to rewind the thing several times to hear what I'd missed. That was superb.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Playing guitar without using hands
lem
Member # 6914

Sometimes the taste of my 5 year old and me overlaps.

Mario vs Goku
[Evil Laugh]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Playing guitar without using hands

Wow. Very cool.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Crazy Water Cat

I think this is the funniest video I have seen all year.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I think I'm getting old. All I could think watching that video was, "man, what a waste of water!"
Lisa
Member # 8384

So how long until someone dubs in some dialog?
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Horrible hijacks the Emmys!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Kermit goes punk
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing time-lapse and slow motion shots of the parade

Feeling rather mixed about it actually, but it looks nice.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Woe! The footage in that is lovely, but military parades always remind me too much of Nazi Germany. A military parade in Tianamen square really gave me the heebie-jeebies.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kermit goes punk

Used to listen to this in High School, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes are really fun to listen to.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
The Rabbit:

I know where you're coming from and cringed when the tanks came on, if I was in charge I would probably have skipped that.

However, Beijing is one of the ancient capitals of China and a military parade connotes to me more to the military assemblies of the past (as seen in Qin Shi Huang's mausoleum or in a modern incarnation, Zhang Yimou's films) rather than any foreign spectacle.

Also regardless of culture, I can't resist a good airshow so the planes were great.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I dunno that female brigade with their skirts and guns were kinda hot.
Armoth
Member # 4752

Yeah. That parade was awesome. I was watching it in class today and everybody who could see my screen demanded that I fwd them the link.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
A skier is buried in an avalanche for four and a half minutes before being rescued.

It's exactly as intense as it sounds.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I could hear a cellphone ringing, I wonder if that was the skiers friends calling in order to get a bead on his location.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered the same thing. It's really unlikely he would have been able to get to it though. :shudder:
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Japenese Tow Truck

I first saw these in still photos, and they didn't make much sense. The video explains a lot, even if the quality is terrible.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
Slap Chop dance remix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRyj5cHIQA

Love the way they messed with the pitch of his voice to make it sound like he was singing [Smile]

Seriously, if all infomercials were like that, I bet they'd sell more.
So... my roommate was watching JAG in the other room, and I heard this thing playing. They ACTUALLY played the rap chop dance remix on tv. The "dancing" bits were different, but it was the same song. I laughed so hard.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.