FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note (Page 7)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad news on this week's ratings. They took a 30% dive for SG1 and 15% for SGA. The later reruns, that show later in the evening did a .8 and .9 respectively. Not good.

S4 is still being created, but I think unless we see a real upswing in ratings, a massive upswing in S4 ratings...or some root change in how the show is released (format related), I think Season 5 is in jeopardy. Personally I'd like to see the show go 7 years and then I'd be okay with an exit. What I'd really like to see is a fundamental shift in the third series to be. Atlantis is SG1 Reloaded and it is NOT working out over the long haul, despite the fact that the show has gotten better, I think it may have taken too long to click.

In other news, Michael Shanks has finished his "24" episodes and they will air starting next week. He has no immediate plans on what to do after the SG1 movies and "24." He says he will take jobs as they come to him, and that Chistopher Judge has a pilot written and the two of them may executive produce it together. But he doesn't want to stop acting.

Any rumors before about him being a lead character on the new SG series are beyond false. They haven't casted the show, but it's going to be all new, which I think means a total break from past SG teams. And I think if Shanks was going to be in it, he would have given at least some indication that a major portion of his acting time would be taken up.

One more little tidbit. When asked if the Asurans and/or Wraith would be defeated by the end of Season 4, Executive Producer Joe Mallozzi said "Hmmmmmm...." which I hope means "YES!!!"

He also said that we may get to see Ronon and Teal'c in a fight, which I would absolutely treasure forever. And I'm totally rooting for Ronon.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so frustrated right now that I was out the day Nielson knocked on my door in Dallas. *mutters*

The lady next door was home, so they became a Nielson family instead of me. I might have had an impact. [Cry]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He also said that we may get to see Ronon and Teal'c in a fight, which I would absolutely treasure forever. And I'm totally rooting for Ronon.
Blasphemy! [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupdate!

As previously stated, July 24th is the release date for the S10 of SG1, and it is now up for pre-order on Amazon for $34.99.

The guy who played Merlin in Part 2 of "The Quest" is up for a Leo Award for his role. I mean, he was good and all but, a Leo?

Really that's it, sorry if the thread title update made it seem like more, I'm just happy to have my Stargate News thread back! Shooting wraps for Ark of Truth on Tuesday, then begins for Continuum I believe. More news on SG Third Series and Atlantis to follow in the coming weeks.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads-up. Order placed. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Christopher Judge's new show "Rage of Angels" has been picked up by MGM for a pilot, and hopefully a production run after that. It will be directed by Brad Turner, of "24" fame, and will also star Michael Shanks as the bad guy, who plays literally the devil, while Chris Judge more or less plays the Archangel Gabriel. The gist I've understood so far is that Gabriel is sick of the rules of heaven not allowing him to interfere on Earth, so he is breaking them by going to Earth to search for the angel Michael, and the two of them together will battle Shanks' Lucifer.

Shanks' Lucifer is supposed to be a misunderstood bad guy with daddy issues. I'm hoping it's a comedy. I'm also hoping that Judge isn't Teal'c with wings and a sword in this show. My opinion of his acting isn't very high given he's played the same character with rather nil character growth for the last few years, so I'll be impressed if he can do something else. That could very well be the fault of the writers however for not giving him better material to work with.

Michael Shanks has also said of Stargate that it's time to "close the book" on that chapter of his life. He also said that MGM is talking to companies about airing the direct to DVD movies on TV, but Sci-FI is not part of those talks. So it looks like they are hoping to capitalize on robust DVD sales and just release them by themselves.

RoA sounds like it could be pretty good, and I'll post more information about it as it becomes available. I still consider it Stargate news considering the main actors [Smile]

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen the interviews with Shanks and Judge up on Skiffy? They're mildly entertaining. [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I read an interview with Shanks on...somewhere, but Judge wasn't there. Can you link me?
Carrie
Member # 394

Easily done [Big Grin]

Chris Judge

Michael Shanks

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well, Judge calls RoA "dark, sexy, violent." Which is...maybe a bit offputting. I was hoping for a comedy, or at least a serious show with comedic elements, because I know the two of them are so good at it.

And it was nice to know that Judge more or less agreed with me on the lack of Teal'c development. He thinks Teal'c peaked in Season 7 or 8, and didn't have much dialogue at all for four or five seasons.

Shanks makes the DVD movies sound pretty cool. I guess his character is going to have some new things happen in the second movie, which is refreshing given the second movie looked rather unappetizing to me. I mean another Ba'al time travel movie? Ugh! But he made it sound much better, and there were a couple sneak peak scenes from what looks like Ark of Truth that were neat.

Thanks for the links Carrie, good stuff.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I guess his character is going to have some new things happen in the second movie, which is refreshing given the second movie looked rather unappetizing to me.
Know what would be new for the character? If he DIDN'T die! [Razz]
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] kq

I liked Chris Judge in the episode where he thought he was a firefighter. He felt like a guy. I have no idea what kind of range he has, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he could play cool and angry but not Teal'c.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
I guess his character is going to have some new things happen in the second movie, which is refreshing given the second movie looked rather unappetizing to me.
Know what would be new for the character? If he DIDN'T die! [Razz]
Or if he stayed dead.
rivka
Member # 4859

For longer than a year, you mean? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Paul McGillion has been downsized from 3 back to 2 episodes for Season 4, his third episode is shelved for now.

Currently work is being done on "This Mortal Coil" and "Be All My Sins Remember'd," which Joe Mallozzi believes will win the "fan favorite" award next year for best episode.

Over the next week or so, if you guys want, I'll post some spoilers about what the plot is on some of these episodes. I've already posted at lease twice what the plots are for the first four or five episodes. I'll get to the others as I come across the information.

One big one here though, I don't remember if this was covered or not at the end of Season 3: Teyla is pregnant, and we find out who the father is part way through Season 4.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I don't remember if this was covered or not at the end of Season 3
O_O

NOT.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

We hear more about it in an episode in Season Four called "The Seer" when a blind man who can see things named Davos comes to Atlantis. He warns Atlantis of an impending Wraith Hive ship fleet, and he knows Teyla's secret. Probably episode seven, eight or nine, don't know the order yet.

Rachel Luttrel is pregnant. So it was either this, give her an eating disorder, or bump her off the show for the better part of a season. Sorry if you didn't want to hear that particular spoiler, but look on the bright side, we can spend the next three or four months positing crazy theories on who the father might be! [Smile] I'm guessing most people's odds on favorite will be Colonel Sheppard, but I think they're going to try and do something totally ridiculous like making it a Wraith child. In fact, that's my guess, it will be a Wraith child.

"This Mortal Coil" and "All My Sins Be Remembr'd" are a two-part episode at the mid-season. They're supposed to be a big one-two punch of group exposition for the whole team. The enthusiasnm of the production crew's blogs is starting to rub off on me. They really think this is going to be an awesome season.

PS. you think I should go back to more obvious and easier to see spoiler warnings, or are you okay with sticking with the spoiler-rama?

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm cool with spoilers as long as you don't ruin the ending on SG1's last season for me. DVD and Atlantis spoilers can only get me interested in stuff I'm not watching now.

I've decided part of the problem is just that I'm up too late for Atlantis alone. I'd stay up when I was waiting for BSG, but I haven't bothered to watch any Painkiller Jane. Basically, I watch SG1 and go to bed. Last night's "war game" episode seemed cool, just not cool enough to keep me up past my bedtime. If they move Atlantis to the 8pm slot next year, I might start watching it, especially with Carter there.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Rachel Luttrel is pregnant.

Come to think of it, I believe I had heard that. So no increasingly weird camera angles, a la Gates McFadden (among others), then? Good!

And I'm fine with the spoiler. It's a spoiler thread! I was just taken aback.

I happen to think Ronon is more likely than Sheppard. But I think you're right, and them making the baby Wraith is the most likely scenario.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
I'm cool with spoilers as long as you don't ruin the ending on SG1's last season for me. DVD and Atlantis spoilers can only get me interested in stuff I'm not watching now.

I've decided part of the problem is just that I'm up too late for Atlantis alone. I'd stay up when I was waiting for BSG, but I haven't bothered to watch any Painkiller Jane. Basically, I watch SG1 and go to bed. Last night's "war game" episode seemed cool, just not cool enough to keep me up past my bedtime. If they move Atlantis to the 8pm slot next year, I might start watching it, especially with Carter there.

I hope you skipped the last four pages of this thread then, as we've discussed the ending a lot here. But don't worry, while there are a couple BIG surprises at the end, it's still a cliffhanger.
Carrie
Member # 394

Not John! NO!!!!!
AvidReader
Member # 6007

I'm not sure when I jumped in the thread, but if I saw anything about the ending, I've blocked it out. [Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Little bits of news here:

Season 10 DVD cover art has been revealed. And it looks like a snazzy, much brighter than usual, effort.

Michael Shanks has started a new blog on TV.com. He has some bad things to say about "Bad Guys" which I thought was pretty funny. But apparently there was 22 minutes of the 44 minute episode cut out, so maybe we'll see a director's cut on the DVD. Supposedly, some of what was cut makes the episode as a whole make a lot more sense, which might explain Daniel's somewhat silly outburst on the hostages. Should be interesting.

Martin Gero, who is Joe Mallozzi's partner in crime for SGA, has said there are no filler episodes in the first ten of Season Four, they are all hits. Take that with a grain of salt, but considering he openly admit that much of S3 suffered from bad writing, it's a promising sign.

Apparently, every three episodes or so we're supposed to get a BIG episode, because with SG1 gone, their episode to episode budget has increased, allowing more massive episodes on a more regular basis. Gero says the end of S3 was a soft reset for the series, and they'll get back to equilibrium in S4.

That's all for now.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Atlantis will be a much better platform for a crazy mystical pregnancy than SG-1 would have, I have to admit, so I'm cool with them having the character be pregnant. (I did spot when Amanda Tapping was pregnant even though I didn't know it at the time and had to look it up afterwards to confirm my suspicions, but I'm betting that the majority of fans who didn't know that already probably did not notice. Mostly only pregnant women and women who have been pregnant a couple of times have preg-dar that acute, I think. I know Jeff didn't notice until I pointed it out. I thought they did an okay job of that, better than some other shows I've seen.)
rivka
Member # 4859

She stood behind a lot of stuff. [Razz]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and I really I hoped this day would never come, but, here it is:

From Gateworld
quote:
Indeed there is an idea for Davi's (he plays Acostus Kolya) return being bandied about the writer's room, GateWorld has learned. But "unfortunately, the episode in question had to be put on ice and possibly pushed to Season Five," executive producer Joseph Mallozzi told us.

The character was introduced in the first season two-parter "The Storm" and "The Eye," in which he led a Genii strike force to capture the city of Atlantis. He returned in "The Brotherhood" to thwart the team's efforts to acquire a valuable Zero Point Module, and again to torture Sheppard in this season's "Common Ground."

Many fans expressed dismay at the quick death of the favorite villain in "Irresponsible."

I mean, it's great that they bumped it back to S5 (if there is one), that'll make S4 better. But what the hell? I thought we had FINALLY gotten rid of this guy! He's the worst, most annoying villain in all of Stargate, and people COMPLAINED when he was offed? They're insane! That guarantees at least one wretched episode in S5, unless in the episode he declared the Genii are wrong and now want to be friends, except it's the Genii, who are genetically STUPID apparently, and it'd be a doublecross that'll get half of their team killed and leave Atlantis unscathed as a result. ::shakes head::
rivka
Member # 4859

I actually liked him initially. Him showing up a second time was ok. By the third time I was thoroughly sick of him, and relieved to see him dead. [Razz]

I agree that having him back AGAIN is an atrocious notion.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, I'm with rivka on this. He was okay as a villain at first, but he gets progressively more annoying.
School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope it is not another miraculous child who grows up extraordinarily quickly.

KQ - I am a little insulted. I have never been pregnant (except for one loss), and I have the best preg-dar of anyone I know. Ask Mary Cate. If she remembers who this screen name belongs to. By the way, I always do the same thing. Hmm. she is pregnant, and they are doing a terrible job of hiding it. I will check online just to be sure. My husband could not even tell Amanda Tapping was pregnant after I pointed it out to him.

Just for clarification, I have not seen Mary Cate or mph since February of 2002, so I have not had knowledge of her later pregnancies until she has announced them on Hatrack.

Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I said most, allowing for exceptions. [Smile] You obviously have acute preg-dar; some pregnant-at-the-time friends of mine didn't even spot her pregnancy without prior knowledge!
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn! You scared me with that title change. I thought you were going to announce something really bad like cancellation. Kolya coming back is bad, but not quite that bad.

Also, they did say that the actor was returning. Maybe he'll play someone else.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What, Kolya's twin no one knew he had? *winces*
Carrie
Member # 394

They may as well move the show to daytime - mysterious pregnancy, a long-lost twin... all they need is a bit of backstabbing amongst the main cast and they could SWEEP the Daytime Emmys. [Big Grin]

Kolya... yeah, don't care too much either way. You can bank on any Stargate series season having one extraordinarily bad episode - if we have to waste it on him, oh well.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Atlantis' writers are wackos. See: Floaty women.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Lyrhawn! You scared me with that title change. I thought you were going to announce something really bad like cancellation. Kolya coming back is bad, but not quite that bad.

Also, they did say that the actor was returning. Maybe he'll play someone else.

Sorry I didn't quote the whole article, but they specifically referred to Kolya.

And sorry Shig, I have a wicked sense of humor sometimes [Smile] But it IS a horrible thing.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Lyrhawn! You scared me with that title change. I thought you were going to announce something really bad like cancellation.

Yeah, me too.

Then I remembered: Nah, it's Lyr, and he's a tiny bit of a drama queen. [Wink]

*flees*

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
School4Ever -- I do remember you, and I just talked to Beverly, and she does confirm that you came up to her and said that she looked pregnant before we told anybody that she was.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Then I remembered: Nah, it's Lyr, and he's a tiny bit of a drama queen.
I prefer drama KING.

In fact, my best friend made me a mixed cd last year entitled "Songs For a Drama King."

Get it right or face my royal wrath. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

[Taunt]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Little bit of news:

S10 DVD -

The aforementioned 22 minutes of "Bad Guys" will be shown at least in part (I don't know how much of it) in the special features section of the DVD. It will not be spliced into the episode, and will be available for separate viewing. Better than nothing.

S4 News -

Michael, nobody's favorite Wraith villain, will be back in the back half of S4. Frankly I would rather see a return of the Wraith that worked with Sheppard last Season, the one who returned his life to him and gave us a bit of a more fleshed out take on the rather tired, boring Wraith.

Major Lorne and Dr. Zalenka will be getting some major face time this season. Zalenka, while not getting his own episode, will get to save the day, at least once. Lorne will get more exposure, a first name, and even some backstory.

Jason Momoa got a new tattoo and didn't tell anyone. The writer's belatedly decided to write it into the plot somehow.

More news in the coming days.

Carrie
Member # 394

Wait a second. Lorne's first name isn't "Major"?

Whoa.

I love Michael, FWIW. This is mostly because I love Trip, but I do enjoy seeing Connor Trinneer having a job.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
I love Michael, FWIW. This is mostly because I love Trip, but I do enjoy seeing Connor Trinneer having a job.

Ditto.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Okay campers, there's news afoot:

Sarah Strange will be in Ark of Truth, reprising her role as Morgan LeFay, who you may remember was whisked away Oma De Sala style in the SG1 episode where they went to Atlantis. It means she survived, and that we might see some cool glimpses of the ascended Ancients. We also now know that the actual Ark of Truth is an Ancient device invented long before the Ancients departed from the Ori galaxy. It's a device that you can program with your beliefs, and it will brainwash people into believing the same thing. This will inevitably lead to Daniel arguing against its use because it is unethical, and he will then be overruled by someone else. Morena Baccarin has been confirmed (it was only rumored before) as being in Ark of Truth as well.

Jacqueline Samuda will be back in Stargate Continuum to reprise her role as the Goauld Nirrti. Whooptie doo. And I don't remember if I confirmed this before or not, but RDA will be in a few scenes of Continuum.

Atlantis Season 3 DVD Release Date is September 18th, mark your calendars. It will have audio commentaries for every episode, and many featurettes, including one for "Sateda" which I'm looking forward to, as I thought that was one of the grittier, more enjoyable episodes.

Five and a half minute preview of S4 of Atlantis with the Execs and writers

David Hewlett won a Spacey Award (Canadian Sci-Fi awards of some sort) for favorite actor in a scifi, and Atlantis won for favorite show. The back half of S3 has yet to finish, so we still don't know whether or not there will be a S5, but we'll probably know by the Fall.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It has been confirmed that Miller's Crossing, a Season 4 episode will feature McKay's sister, Jeannie Miller.

It will be an Earth based episode, using the intergalactic bridge. Rather than bringing Mrs. Miller to Pegasus, they will go to her. It's slated to be the ninth episode of the season.

Joe Mallozzi has said that Season 4 will be the most plot arc oriented than any season thus far, which makes me happy. Arc episodes, largely, have always been my favorites. I love to see the story progress. Stand alones can be fun, but too many of them are just distractions, and aren't very good. Star Trek got awesome when they adopted plot arcs, just as most of the best SG1 episodes and Atlantis eps are the arc eps.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
It has been confirmed that Miller's Crossing, a Season 4 episode will feature McKay's sister, Jeannie Miller.

It will be an Earth based episode, using the intergalactic bridge. Rather than bringing Mrs. Miller to Pegasus, they will go to her. It's slated to be the ninth episode of the season.

[Party]
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, and it is now possible to preorder S3 on Amazon.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Are you sure? I just checked and all I could find was Preorder S10 of SG1, buy S1 and S2 of Atlantis, and the Companion Book for S3 for Atlantis, I couldn't find the preorder for the third season DVD.

Could you link me?

rivka
Member # 4859

Given that I ordered it last night and got a confirmation email, pretty sure. [Wink]

Here ya go. (Ignore the fact that somewhat at Amazon doesn't know which actors are on which series.)

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Thanks [Smile]

It's just weird that they both don't know the actors in the show, and that it didn't show up when I searched for it.

I'm still not sure if I'll be able to afford this when it comes out, but I do have S10 of SG1 preordered.

rivka
Member # 4859

I have had issues before on Amazon with finding the right thing to preorder when it first goes up, and with it having weird info. My guess is they have some kind of automated widget or feed or something that is buggy.

I've always ended up with the DVDs I wanted, though.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.