FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » wow...the Federation is so doomed. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: wow...the Federation is so doomed.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Palpatine wasn't defeated by Luke Skywalker, you know.

Not directly, but had Luke not been around, Vader would not have turned on him.

edit: and where did I say, "Luke defeated Palpatine?" I said Luke's successes were unforeseen.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Thus highlighting, once again, the importance of family. Vader in '08!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Empire *has* no Jedi.
Perhaps not "Jedi", but definitely a lot of force sensitive people. There was Mara, C'baoth, as well as countless clones of Palpatine and Thrawn. I'm not sure how the Federation would handle an endless supply of Sith Lords, and I'm sure the Empire would have plenty on hand if they were planning an invasion of another galaxy.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Who just happens to be, "the one who will bring balance to the force." Not to mention having the living ghost of his mentor there almost all the time, as well as being trained one of the most talented jedi masters in history.

You misunderstand the prophecy. For example, link, Anakin is the one that brings balance to the Force, not Skywalker, by finally wiping out the Sith. Skywalker is just there, plus he's expendable which is why when he leaves to confront Vader in TESB, Yoda says that there is another that could take his place, his sister.

camus: Starfleet wouldn't *have* to deal with an endless supply of Sith lords. The very nature of Sith lords makes them unable to work together, they would fight each other before fighting another. Remember how hard it was for Thrawn to control just Joruus? Even he would fear the thought of controlling an army of them, which is why his plans never went beyond creating one controllable clone of Joruus to replace him.
Thats also the whole reason the Master and Apprentice system was setup, the only stable number of Sith in the galaxy is two.

Also, Thrawn is not force sensitive and the clones of the Emperor die like harvested wheat in the EU. He's like the Kenny of the Star Wars Universe, "You killed the Emperor! You bastard!"

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
The Federation needs to recruit only one Force-sensitive person that's opposed to the Empire, and most of the Empire's advantages as it relates to Force usage disappear.

And I'm sure the Feds can find one *somewhere*... They can always find something like that in the matter of a 30 minute episode. When you find him/her, it'll probably be easy to convince them that they should be on the Fed's side. Throw a couple of Deltans at them or something.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

quote:
Starfleet wouldn't *have* to deal with an endless supply of Sith lords. The very nature of Sith lords makes them unable to work together, they would fight each other before fighting another. Remember how hard it was for Thrawn to control just Joruus?
I used Sith Lord as a shorthand for "force sensitive beings with the potential of being Sith Lords that have a knowledge of Sith teachings." And there are some pretty nasty Sith techniques that Kyp and Jacen were able to use despite not being Sith Lords.

And I wasn't really thinking of Thrawn controlling Joruus.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

quote:
The Federation needs to recruit only one Force-sensitive person that's opposed to the Empire, and most of the Empire's advantages as it relates to Force usage disappear.
I'm not sure why those disadvantages would disappear, unless that recruit happened to be a Skywalker. And I don't know where they'd find him [Edit: that is, any force-sensitive person that is opposed to the Empire], because I'm pretty sure the Empire wouldn't just be sending anyone in the invasion.

[ March 26, 2007, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: camus ]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if Luke Skywalker wasn't around, Leia wouldn't have been around, and Padme would not have had children...had she not had children, she wouldn't have been threatened by childbirth...and Palpatine would have lost by far his biggest hook.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I don't think the Force can be brought into the discussion. You'd have a great argument going if midi-chlorians hadn't entered the picture in the newer films. Knowing that a high concentration of simple microscopic organisms seperate force-users from the rest of the mob, those in the Star Trek universe would easily fashion some kind of malicious nano-bot or retrovirus to rid all force users of their power.

I'm sure with a captured Jedi (the films have never made them out to be wholly indestructable), the Star Trek folks would be able to figure out whatever the force is and block its effects over long distances.

In fact, I think this argument has been made on this thread already. I don't think the force will be a deciding factor in a long, inter-galactic war.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

quote:
You'd have a great argument going if midi-chlorians hadn't entered the picture in the newer films
The prequels are nothing more than vicious lies. The real George Lucas would never have authorized such blasphemy. Thus, anything referred to in the prequels cannot be taken as SW canon. Although, if the Empire made a bunch of Jar-Jar clones and kept sending them to our galaxy, it might just drive the Federation into insanity, thus paving the way for an easy invasion.

quote:
I'm sure with a captured Jedi (the films have never made them out to be wholly indestructable), the Star Trek folks would be able to figure out whatever the force is and block its effects over long distances.
Why would a Jedi or Sith even need to enter the battle field? They could orchestrate the entire battle from a safe distance on the edge of the galaxy.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the question is actually pretty loaded anyway. If you put the Federation up against the Empire, you're basically pitting the entire ST canon into play against one small segment of the SW canon.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by camus:
quote:
Why would a Jedi or Sith even need to enter the battle field? They could orchestrate the entire battle from a safe distance on the edge of the galaxy.
You make an excellent point. However, both the books and films have shown both sides of the force can't seem to keep from jumping into the thick of it. Even Palpatine couldn't resist hanging out at the Death Star in ROTJ.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a valid point about the Sith. Palapatine's skills would best be used to coordinate the fleet, not to force choke Picard from a lightyear away. Palpatine's death is the reason they lost the Battle of Endor, despite a supremely overwhelming superiority in capital ships after the Death Star II was destroyed. He was controlling the fleet via the Force, and it is part of what made them such a deadly weapon of conquest.

It's something we saw used to great effect with Force melds in the NJO, but the Jedi would never go so far as to control the minds of fellow soldiers.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... this thread was beyond silly long ago... now it's just absolutely absurd.

We should make a Monty Python sketch out of this... it could work, almost verbatim.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I actually way prefer Trek to Wars (although the original trilogy holds a special place in my heart). And I'm still calling this one for the Empire. Because in the end, the Force is still the ultimate deus ex machina.
It's the reverse for me. I prefer the SWU, but think the STU would win.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If I absolutely had to pick, I'd probably pick Star Wars, but it's a decision I hope I never have to make.

It comes down to the characters. When I have to choose between the crews of the Enterprise/DS9 and Corran Horn with the rest of the Rogues, the Wraiths, all the original characters. There's so many great characters, it's really hard to choose. My love of SWU goes back much further, but there's a special place in my heart for both.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I know little about both universes compared to the infinite knowledge of the legions of nerds here, so what I am about to speculate on may not work: Wouldn't The Q just disable or destroy the Empire? They are partial to humans and the rest of the STU species, especially the (John DeLancey) Q we all know. Q might manipulate The Emperor himself. The Force is just a punchline to The Q, given their power.

Disable or destroy isn't exactly what I mean. I think that Q would probably enhance the Empire just to teach the Federation an important lesson about, well, something. Ultimately, I don't see Q falling for despicable people like Palpatine and Vader, even as he finds them fascinating enough to engage. The Q would be more likely to demolish the competing power of The Force.

With The Q, time travel, and far more science and military flexibility, I don't see how the Federation could lose.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
If you could trust him ... he's not a tame god, you know.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Q wouldnt help the Feds win their war, he warned them of the Borg but that was it.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that the entire STU universe was made solely so Q can mess with Picard, maybe we should consider how he would feel about this... I think he would laugh pretty hard if the feds lost, although he would not want to risk losing any of his favorite toys...

So he might let the feds lose the war, but keep the crew around to join the rebels and fight against the Empire and reclaim the Federation at a later date...

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Q wouldnt help the Feds win their war, he warned them of the Borg but that was it.

Well that's ONE way of looking at it. He INTRODUCED them to the Borg and vice versa. Without Q, there likely never would have been a Wolf 359 or First Contact.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.