FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is your Deathly Hallows theory? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: What is your Deathly Hallows theory?
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Nostradamus has made his predictions.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
I read one theory about how Fortescue- the guy who had the Ice Cream parlor- has an ancestor who was a headmaster at Hogwarts. Because Fortescue is the name of the headmaster (has been mentioned in the books)

The physical description is red-headed and apparently is similar to that of the symbol of air, which according to somewhere is the element of Ravenclaw. THen they took that and mentioned the Goblin-made tiara )which Florean Fortescue knew a great deal about goblin rebellions) was seen in the Room of Requirement and might be another Horcrux.

Wow! Someone is paying a lot of attention to the details, aren't they? [Smile]

That's not bad, though.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

docmagik: I'm cracking up! That was a great link. I especially liked:

quote:
Dumbledore sighed. "Why couldn't the prophecy have referred to Hermione?"

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
"And the showdown at Hoggett's farm is amazing!" [ROFL]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine: trust me- I didn't think of that all by myself- I remembered it was said after I read the theory. I certainly don't have that level of observation.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what the big twist is going to be, but trust me, there is a big twist in book 7. There is no way it took Rowling 15 years to create the Potterverse just to have a mundane ending. I just hope the last book is not Chapter 1: Harry tracks down a horcrux. Chapter 2: Harry tracks down another horcrux. etc.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by otterk10:
I have no idea what the big twist is going to be, but trust me, there is a big twist in book 7. There is no way it took Rowling 15 years to create the Potterverse just to have a mundane ending. I just hope the last book is not Chapter 1: Harry tracks down a horcrux. Chapter 2: Harry tracks down another horcrux. etc.

Well, remember that there are only 4 Horcruxes to track down. If we compare that to book 4 which had 3 tri-wizard events, then she could probably lead up to the discovery of each one without boring us. I have a feeling that Hermione will be doing a lot of the brain work anyway, as she always has. That leaves Harry's POV clear for other things until it comes right down to getting the Horcrux.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
It may not be a matter of "tracking down" the horcruxes so much. If Dumbledore is right about Nagini, and readers are right about the locket, then two of them are accounted for. RAB might have collected others, in addition to the locket, and Kreacher could have squirrelled them all away in one place.

Also note: Rowling hasn't debunked the Harry as a Horcrux theory.

I'm really curious to see how Voldemort reacts when he discovers that several have been destroyed.

Also, a non-magical person using magic might not indicate that the person develops magical powers. Dudley could ride a broom, for example.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think for every horocrux harry destroys the more desperate and hurtful Voldemort's retaliations will be. I bet by the finale the build up will make many a reader want to pass out.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Blackblade that's brilliant. umm yeah.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Blackblade that's brilliant. umm yeah.

Is that awe or sarcasm? I honestly can hear both.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's breyer! One of the sweetest people in the world. I'm not sure she's even capable of being witheringly sarcastic.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh I love you kat.

I wasn't sarcastic, well a bit, it's just so incredibly obvious that that will happen, that I was suprised it wasn't on the first page, unless others were thinking that it was so obvious it didn't deserve a mention.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Heh I love you kat.

I wasn't sarcastic, well a bit, it's just so incredibly obvious that that will happen, that I was suprised it wasn't on the first page, unless others were thinking that it was so obvious it didn't deserve a mention.

Nice to know my sarcasmometer is so sensitive even if my sense of the obvious is taking a nap.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Sorry, no I didn't mean to be offensive.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things occured to me as I was finishing Goblet of Fire yesterday night (I'm on a forced march to finish in three weeks- yikes).

When Harry tells Dumbledore about how Voldemort took some of his blood and all that implies, Dumbledore has a fleeting look of triumph, but then sits down heavily. This suggests to me that the protections Harry transfered to Voldemort will be his undoing. Whether the subsequent reaction is due to Dumbledore knowing he will die or Harry will die, I don't know. I do think that while Voldemort can touch Harry, Voldemort cannot kill Harry, and if Harry is killed, Voldemort will have to die or live with the Dursleys forever [Wink] . (There was a reference to this in "The house of Black" in book 5- how harry would feel about being forced to live in the house he grew up in).

My view on things is a bit colored in that I've have read the chapter summaries at hp-lexicon.org. If Harry's protection is constituted in the love of his mother, and Lily is the love of Snape's life... I don't know, that whatever Snape's conscious feelings for Harry are, this will somehow play into the web of Harry's mortality. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens in Half Blood Prince.

I was really amazed by book 4, by the way. For the longest time as it dragged on I was wondering if this wasn't just a cheap mystery where the author hides things deliberately (since I had seen the movie) but the ending was really good and wise.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
In defense of BlackBlade, do we have any proof that Voldemort KNOWS when a Horcrux is destroyed?

One wonders why RAB would bother leaving a replacement behind if Voldemort knew ahead of time, unless RAB didn't destroy it, but either way it's a valid question.

I've seen nothing to prove he'll know when a Horcrux has been destroyed, so I don't know why his retributions would be so bad when Harry goes about destroying the others.

Personally I would be most satisfied if when Voldemort dies, it comes as a total and complete shock to him, and he dies slowly, realizing that his Horcruxes cannot save him. Even if I have to suffer through a horrible villain death speech, I think it'd be the best way for him to die.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC Dumbledore says that he doesn't think Voldemort will know automatically when a horcrux is destroyed. He may not even know that the diary has been destroyed. Malfoy would be pretty stupid to tell him.

I think that he'll discover that several of them have been destroyed at some point during the last book. I'm guessing it will be before he's down to his last one, and that we'll get to see his reaction to that news.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i think a surpirse like that is too bland. i think voldemort will know about the horcrux. i think it will almost seem like everything is going wrong and seem simpossible for hary to win. and the suprise will be how him and party get through it.

not sure if thats in the same obvious range as blackblade's statement, but i think the whole talk about suprising voldemort with his death after detroying the last horcrux seems way too simple. it doesnt really sound like a climactic way to go IMO.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I don't really think Voldemort will know when the Horcurxi are distroyed either but I do think that when harry finds, not nessecarily distroys a horcrux, voldemort and his guys will attack. Just as they did at the end of book six.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

When a horocrux is destroyed does Voldemort get that part of his soul back? Wouldn't destroying horocruxes then bring Voldemort back to his senses ever so slowly? Maybe Harry will destroy them all and find a tired sad man only too happy to pay for his crimes and end this terrible war.

Hows that for an annoying ending? [Wink]

PS: What if Voldemort simply makes more horocruxes every time one is destroyed and uses Harry's friends as the sacrificial victims every time [Evil Laugh]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dudley could ride a broom, for example.
Not without falling off or breaking the broom...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When a horocrux is destroyed does Voldemort get that part of his soul back?
I don't think so. I think that part of his soul is destroyed/moves on/whatever.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
i think snape is going to die destroying a horcrux after being entrusted by Voldemort to protect it once he realizes harry is destroying them all.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
Not without falling off or breaking the broom...
How about one of those illegally imported flying carpets?
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
New rumor. There is a spoiler warning in there so you can read the article even if you don't want to hear possible spoilers.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Voldemort already knows that at least one Horcrux (the diary) has been destroyed. If I recall correctly, it made him quite angry.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Gaal, that's not a new rumor.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider: unless Voldie is the most ineffective villain ever, he's not going to give a guy of questionable allegiances like Snape a piece of his SOUL. He's not going to give them to anyone! He's too confident in his own magics (like the island he set up that Dumbledore and
Harry went to)

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

According to Dumbledore- he thinks Voldemort think he's the only one who knows about the Horcruxes.

He prefers to operate alone remember? He's not giving to give a horcrux to Snape.

I think there will still be some information that Dumbledore passes Harry- maybe he wrote pre-death or something.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Hey does anyone remember whether it was conclusively said about whether Hogwarts will be open or not?
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Man, I really hope that the hacker is a hoax. I couldn't resist googling about the hacker and read about both characters that die [Wall Bash] and I really, really hope it's not true. Not because of who dies, but because it'll be the 2nd HP book I ruined for myself. In the 5th book I somehow managed to accidently read the one sentence that says explicity, and in capital letters because Harry is shouting IIRC, who dies before I started reading the book. It was the worst. I think I was flipping to the end to see how many pages there was or something like that and that one sentence just caught my eyes. [Grumble]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost certain it's a hoax. Rowling's too talented to present that plot.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Hey does anyone remember whether it was conclusively said about whether Hogwarts will be open or not?

I don't believe anything was said conclusively. Personally I think at least some of the book will take place at Hogwarts.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:

I don't believe anything was said conclusively. Personally I think at least some of the book will take place at Hogwarts.
I think the only conclusive info was that there isn't going to be any Quidditch in the last book.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I think Hogwarts will be closed- but events (I think the final absolute climax has to be there)
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I'm almost certain it's a hoax. Rowling's too talented to present that plot.

The only thing that makes me think it might be real is this:
quote:
Bloomsbury Publishing declined to comment on the hacker’s claims. Kyle Good, a spokesman for American distributor Scholastic Corporation, warned readers to be skeptical about any information they hear about the book’s plot prior to its release.
That sounds to me how a company would act if the hacker was real. If they knew it was fake I'd expect them to reassure us that nobody has stolen the copy of the book, etc. If the hack was real they can't lie to us and tell us it's not, because we'd know they lied to us after the book came out.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were in charge, I'd publicly react the exact same way whether it was real or not.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto! (And not just the pokemon :-))
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
*uses a smack attack on Phanto*
*Phanto transforms into a Flaming Toad on a Stick*
*Toad hits himself*

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I just finished rereading The Order of the Phoenix. The prophecy doesn't make sense. Ok, here it is:
quote:
The One with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies.... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...
Now Dumbledore explains that Voldemort's spy only heard the part about a boy being born to parents who have thrice defied him. I'm guessing the spy also heard that he will be the one with the power to vanquish the dark lord, otherwise he has no reason to even care about this boy. But how will Harry have the power that the dark lord knows not? He already knows that the boy has the power to vanquish him? What does it say in the prophecy that Harry will have that Voldemort didn't hear?

Then, Harry asks why Voldemort didn't wait until him and Neville were older to see who would be more dangerous. Dumbledore says that would have been a more practical course, but since he only heard the first part he wouldn't know that to attack Harry would he would risk transferring his power to him. What? [Confused] Even if Voldemort heard the whole prophecy he still wouldn't know that he might transfer his power to him. And I don't get why it'd be more practical to wait and see who is more dangerous before killing him. The one that he wants to kill will be harder to kill when he's older, Voldemort had the right idea trying to kill the kid when he's a baby. And why not just kill both babies? He's Voldemort.

Confusing stuff.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Didn't really get the chance to kill both babies. The first one sort of thwarted him, and at that point the prophecy was in motion.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

It's not that Voldemort knows that Harry can vanquish him. The power Harry has that Voldemort "knows not" is Love. Voldie has no experience with love, we spent the entire sixth book finding that out.

And Lyr is right on why he couldn't kill both, he was practically dead after he tried to kill one, it seems rather likely that he was going to try to kill Neville too. Do we know if Neville's parents were attacked before or after the Potter's died?

I think by practical Dumbledore means that it would have saved the life of one baby in case the second one was the problem. That one I am less sure on though.

Javert
Member # 3076

Gaal, I think the most important part of the prophecy is "he will mark him as his equal". Voldemort, I think, would immediately wonder if those words were literal. And, indeed, they were literal. So, if he had heard the whole prophecy he might very well have let Harry and Neville grow up a bit more to find out who the threat was.

Breyerchic, I believe that the Longbottoms were attacked after Voldemort's death. I think it is mentioned somewhere that they were looking for Voldemort, not convinced that he was actually gone, and that somehow Frank Longbottom (an auror high up in both the Order of the Pheonix and, presumably, the Ministry) would have knowledge of where he was.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Ok, that's what I was thinking, but I wasn't positive. If that is the case, it seems rather likely that Voldemort had planned to kill Neville after Harry.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question: I was rereading the first book, and it says James was head boy. Later we find out that the first step to being head boy is prefect, and that Remus, not James, was the prefect.

Am I missing something that makes this not contradictory (which is very possible)?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Quick question: I was rereading the first book, and it says James was head boy. Later we find out that the first step to being head boy is prefect, and that Remus, not James, was the prefect.

Am I missing something that makes this not contradictory (which is very possible)?

I think the question is whether "first step" is meant that you literally must be a prefect first, or that it just makes it easier/more likely.
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was under the impression that you didn't need to be a prefect in order to become head boy, it's just most common for the head boy to have been a prefect.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

quote:
It's not that Voldemort knows that Harry can vanquish him. The power Harry has that Voldemort "knows not" is Love. Voldie has no experience with love, we spent the entire sixth book finding that out.
But Voldemort heard the part about Harry having the power to vanquish him, right?

So Voldemort was planning on killing Neville too, but why would it have been more practical to wait until they were older if he would've heard the rest of the prophecy?

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.