FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Petition Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Petition Thread
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Here

Click here and enter your name if you wish to sign a petition to remove my right to make new petitions, and as a secondary effect I shall agree to limit myself to 1 thread per week with up to 3 in case of emergancies.

[ September 13, 2007, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Okay whose the little smartass who wrote "suck my" in the field? Little kids view my stuff.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooo...in ignoring his petition, I seem to have overlooked a wide array of childish yet comical pranks I could play...

This is your classic shoulder angel and devil situation.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

who just tried to delete my tables?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And now whose the ass who just called me an idiot.

[ September 13, 2007, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does a little popup saying *doom* keep on popping up when I'm on that page? Kinda freakin me out ...
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Because someone added this:

code:
<script type="text/javascript">setInterval('alert(\'*doom*\')',10000)

into one of the form fields and updated it.

Blayne, it appears you are not accounting for someone putting code into the form entry fields. If you are using a database, you are likely exposed to injection attacks. You are definitely exposed to people adding HTML and Javascript into those fields.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I shouldn't laugh at that, but I can't seem to help it.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
This whole thread is hilarious. Made me laugh out loud.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I meant to add that this is not a minor risk - it would be trivial for someone to point to malicious code from your site because of this vulnerability, or simply redirect to an objectionable site.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, this is a truly classic security vulnerability. ZOMG u haev been teh h4xx0red!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I saw the code whenever I checked it in PSQL but I did not think it actually does anything as I never on the page long enough to see anything.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

That is actually pretty cute, how does one disable code inserted into the page?
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
He seems to guard at least against basic SQL injection, but yeah, he's vulnerable to html injection.

Blayne, you need to (at minimum) replace left angle brackets and ampersands with their html escape sequence before you insert things into the database. Also, you should check the length of input. If someone enters something too long, it causes an exception (probably because the DB insert fails).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I love that Blayne complains about profanity and then has several posts with profanity in this thread, including the one in which he complains about it.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Well at least it seems somebody likes me.
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, I love this thread!
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

My table seems to be slowly running away from me....
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, I can't give advice about protecting your website, but I do have a little advice about protecting yourself.

Stop making it so fun for people to torment you. If it's easy to get a rise out of you, people will poke you to see you jump. Yes, they're acting like jerks by doing it, but if you try to make yourself a little less of a tempting target it will help. Because right now the way you act on the forums is like painting a giant "please mess with me" sign and attaching it to your forehead.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
"kick me"
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne,
Unless you are restricting it to one entry per IP, it's very likely that the people poking at you is just one person, namely jebus. In any case, your profanity and basic conduct here isn't proper.

---

I've got to admit, having Blayne's cry for attention based on "Hey, don't you dislike me?" turning around on him by someone who is saying that they dislike him and then Blayne getting upset about it is pretty amusing to me. And the "Hey you &%^&, stop %^&%^ cursing." is just the ironic icing on the cake.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I wasnt asking people to stop cursing, I was asking people to act like decent human beings and to stop insulting me in something that I made myself. Either way I redirected the link to someone else's work, hope your happy.

[ September 13, 2007, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, please stop using profanity. This is a family-friendly forum.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Aw, but now no one will be able to keep up on the rivalry between your old lover wellhungx69x and and your new boyfriend stevetheman.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Blayne,
You need to stop using profanity. It is not appropriate for this board.

And, as I pointed out, your "people" is probably just one person who is reacting to the giant target you paint on yourself.

This is going to keep happening everywhere you go until you grow up.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And geuss what I linked to a place easily reached by this "family-friendly" forum where people posted inappropriate profanity so from this site it is easily linked to somewhere where people posted said profanity. I asked merely for people to post their names, and instead they posted garbage.
jebus202
Member # 2524

Is Blayne... you know? Not right?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I am grown up, I just don't tolerate other people's stupidity very well, someone is doing it and so far no one has fessed up.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
And geuss what I linked to a place easily reached by this "family-friendly" forum where people posted inappropriate profanity so from this site it is easily linked to somewhere where people posted said profanity. I asked merely for people to post their names, and instead they posted garbage.

That's unfortunate. How does that make it OK for you to post profanity on the forum though?
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I apologize for my profanity but really the immature jerks have to stop acting like jerks.
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
I am grown up, I just don't tolerate other people's stupidity very well, someone is doing it and so far no one has fessed up.

::waves arms:: I was doing it, though not the only one. The Uranus Hertz one made me chuckle, whoever put it up.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

No, the proper, adult response is "Sorry about that. I'll go edit it out." (edit: Good on you. You eventually got there.)

Showing consideration for others is an important trait to develop. It is excedingly difficult to care that your cry for attention didn't go the way you planned when you so clearly only care about your own concerns.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Blayne,
quote:
I am grown up,
You are so far from being grown up I don't think you even understand what it entails.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Whining, pouting, swearing, and blaming other people for your bad behavior are not grown up behavior. "I just . . . but he did . . ." are phrases that are heard on elementary school playgrounds, not in adult conversations.

By acting this way, you are making it fun for people to annoy you.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

How was I crying for attention? I made a fun little webapp and I wanted Hatrack to participate not abuse it.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
How was I crying for attention? I made a fun little webapp and I wanted Hatrack to participate not abuse it.

This whole thread, along with the high number of threads you continually start, seem to say "look at meeeeeee!!"

Whether that's their intention or not, that's how they come across.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
"[he]'s like a member of ADAPT!"
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Huh, what are you on about potato head? This thread had a very interesting subject that had nothing to do with focusing people's attention onto Blayne.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I intent my threads to be usually whimsical and silly not as desperate cries of attention as I have plenty of people at college who are entertained by my eveyr eccentricies.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Blayne, you asked how you were crying for attention. I answered you politely. I'm not going to argue about whether the perception is correct or justified or not, but I promise you, it is a common perception of you out there.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jebus202:
quote:

::waves arms:: I was doing it, though not the only one. The Uranus Hertz one made me chuckle, whoever put it up.
That was me. It was from an old (censored in several markets) Dilbert strip.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Blayne,
quote:
I intent my threads to be usually whimsical and silly not as desperate cries of attention as I have plenty of people at college who are entertained by my eveyr eccentricies.
No, you don't, though I'll grant that you may not realize what you are doing. You intend to focus people's attention and conversation on you. This is exceedingly obvious. You are not subtle.

You know how people tell you that various threads you make are better suited for a blog. That's why.

You are very self-centered and show little concern for anyone else. I've come to believe that you don't realize this though. I think you'd benefit from working on this. You might do well to take an active interest in some of the people at Hatrack as more than an audience for you.

---

disclaimer: I'm a mean man. People here will tell you that I'm a big old meanie who just hates people and tries to make them feel bad.

That being said, I worry that you are going to waste your life stuck in permenant 14 year old hood. I would love to see you post in about 2 or 3 years about how you silly you realized you used to be and now that you've moved out of your parents' house, gotten a girlfriend, are holding down a pretty good job, and don't spend all of your free time playing video games, you've really seen what benefits adult life can have. And also that people seem not to pick on you at all as much anymore.

I want that for you, but you've got some serious flaws that are standing in the way of that. You need to deal with them if what I want for you is ever going to come about.

Bokonon
Member # 480

Dude, swearing is bad form on Hatrack.

EDIT: Dang thread moved fast.

And in case you haven't figured out, Blayne, the reason so many people respond to your threads, even when it is bad form, is that most of think you could be good Hatracker, if you'd actually pay attention to how you act here, pay attention to how respected members act here, and reconcile the differences. That doesn't mean be like everyone else, it means play by the rules, even the unofficial social rules, which should be quite apparent to you at this point, and are different than most other forums on the net.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I saw that, jebus!

-Bok

Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:

This whole thread, along with the high number of threads you continually start, seem to say "look at meeeeeee!!"

Whether that's their intention or not, that's how they come across.

Given Blayne's OP, I think its fairly obvious that this thread was made as a joke. Probably in response to his thread asking for a theme song where he was ripped to pieces. Notice that he said

quote:
as a secondary effect I shall agree to limit myself to 1 thread per week with up to 3 in case of emergancies.
I initially viewed this thread as an attempt, on Blayne's part, to try to get over the hostilities from his other threads in a light-hearted way.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
So did I. If this thread had been taken seriously, some of the results certain posters so desperately seek may have come to pass. Alas, it was not meant to be.

(edit: not that I advocate taking things seriously as a general rule. In most cases it is far more appropriate to take things as silly-y as possible.)

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

The problem with this thread is the re-occurring problem that Blayne has that manifests itself in his second post. If he's making a joke thread, he should be prepared for jokes on himself.

-Bok

Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anybody else reminded of Ignatius from A Confederacy of Dunces?

(I just read it last week so it's fresh in my mind. Maybe it's too fresh in my mind so perhaps I am hasty in my comparison)

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Who are you calling a dunce?

*swings wildly*

Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
watch where you are swinging that pointy hat, yo!
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.