FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Petition Thread (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Petition Thread
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no clique. There are only individuals. Put away your unrighteous indignation and let it go. Really - you'll be so much happier. All is forgiven. You have good qualities - let them shine. Let all this nasty stuff go.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing is, Squick, I'd say you were in the clique. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
I'm not sure that we'd be using the same definition of clique, then.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I think we would. I think the only argument for your not being "in it" is your continual and tiresome complaints about not being in it. *grin*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
We actually prefer the term 'cabal'.

Not that the terminology should affect Squick's paranoia at all.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The only remedy Mr Squicky is to form your own clique; one that's more popular and more cool!

But in all seriousness I just have not seen the clique you are talking about but that does not in any way mean you are wrong. For what it's worth, I'd never willingly join such a group. Though we disagree on many things, and on occasion I've been genuinely annoyed at you, I still think you make the community a better place and enjoy your participation in it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
For what it's worth, I'd never willingly join such a group.
That is unnecessary. If you join, it will be without your knowledge or permission.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
For what it's worth, I'd never willingly join such a group.
That is unnecessary. If you join, it will be without your knowledge or permission.
Sounds like a pretty desperate group.

I refuse to join any group that would have me as a member! [Wink]

Also

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
I really don't think we're using the same definition of clique, Tom.

---

Thanks BB, that's nice to hear. I'd say much the same about you. There have been things you've done that I haven't been happy with, but I'm pretty sure you just about always mean well and you're good for Hatrack (and I think Hatrack has been good for you too).

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
The clique you are referring to does not exist.

However, if it did, it would hardly go like a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon. I've been in informal social groups before, and there are rarely constitutional congresses involved.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
I really don't think we're using the same definition of clique, Tom.
Oh, we are. I was merely speaking tongue-in-cheek to BB, because I find your whole "clique" thing immeasurably funny. [Wink]
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait-- is our story now that there is no clique?

How are we going to exclude Squicky *now*?

I mean...really. Someone should've sent me an email or something.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

I didn't know there was a clique... *lip wobbles*
Scott R
Member # 567

I thought you were in the clique-- you mean you weren't? I thought you were speaking from knowledge and...

Oh, crap. What if they don't like *me* anymore? What if I've secretly been voted out?

I need to go talk to Dagonee.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Have people been smiling at you oddly? The laughter at your jokes changed from raucous to polite? No longer getting calls at 4 am?

You, too, may be suffering Cabalaphiliasterism, the condition of being stranded when your clique has dissolved. Your mind refuses to accept that the tribe that gave you security and identity is gone. Victims of cabalaphiliasterism include Alan Thicke and that 23-year-old who still wears her high school chearleading uniform to parties.

[ September 27, 2007, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't had a good clique fight for a couple of years. Well, at least that I've been around to see.

I won't deny that there are some people I'm more strongly aligned with than others, and a couple of people I'm counter-aligned with. Imagine if I felt exactly the same towards everyone. Now some people can genuinely love everyone, but I'm afraid the best I could muster would be universal indifference or else paranoia.

I think Hatrack, like any group of a few hundred people, is a kaleidescope of cliques, and it's just a matter of which ones I care to be a part of.

P.S. Actually, I realize that one can't always just decide to be part of a clique. Or maybe one can, but one cannot decide one's role or rank within the clique. I might be the party animal of the linguistics clique, but in the party clique I'm the quiet religious guy who goes crazy.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
MrSquicky with all respects I have to warn you that it's a losing battle to attack 'cabals' and 'cliques' because it's like the dumbest way to handle and/or classify the unpopularity of your position or reputation.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there is anything as organized as a clique.

But, I do think that people who have had more congenial interactions - either on the forum or in person - are likely to be more sympathetic to each other. And that those sypmathies show. I also think that they make a difference to whether or not I will bother engaging in what is likely to be a less congenial on line interaction.

And there are people that I am not crazy about and who aren't crazy about me.

In those cases, I need more incentive to engage with them.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Samp,
I care very little for the unpopularity of my positions or reputations. I do care about fairness and about the health of the forum.

I don't care if people form cliques. I don't care if those groups don't like me. I do care that they seem to not do anything when one of their members acts poorly, unless someone points out this poor behavior, in which case they attack that person, often with lies, insults, and unjustified accusations.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

There is no clique. There are only individuals.

I feel like I'm the anti-Borg.

More specifically, if you desire better relationships, I suggest treating people as individuals.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

boots,
A big part of my problem is that what people post have an effect on the forum which in turn effects me whether I am engaging them or not. When kat dishes out a nasty insult aimed at Blayne or responds to a newcomer's actually pretty reasonable post by saying that they are engaging in...what was it...space logic or something like that, she is making Hatrack worse and, oh yeah, hurting people. When people tolerate or even defend her nastiness, I think it also has a bad effect on the forum.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Squick, I really think you'll be happier when you let go of the grudge that you're holding against me.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I agree - I just don't have the energy to be the Hatrack police.

And I don't know that the resulting squabbles are an improvement.

Maybe a better method would be to support whoever was being attacked rather than directly engaging the attacker?

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

If you cared about Hatrack, you'd stop your campaigning.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
boots,
A big part of my problem is that what people post have an effect on the forum which in turn effects me whether I am engaging them or not. When kat dishes out a nasty insult aimed at Blayne or responds to a newcomer's actually pretty reasonable post by saying that they are engaging in...what was it...space logic or something like that, she is making Hatrack worse and, oh yeah, hurting people. When people tolerate or even defend her nastiness, I think it also has a bad effect on the forum.

For what it's worth, I agree. However, there's a point at which it makes more sense to adapt to a negative influence rather than try to eliminate it.

A long, drawn-out battle can be more disruptive than the initial nastiness that triggered it and if there's no realistic expectation of changing the negative behavior that you are responding to, then its not only distracting, but futile.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

"Better for the community" can be tricky. Is it worth "keeping the peace" at the cost of ignoring slights to some people? Maybe. It is hard on the folks that are being slighted, though.

I think that supporting the "victim" rather than directly attacking the attacker might be a good middle ground, depending on the egregiousness of the attack.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

I am part of Hatrack. I'm not going anywhere, and Squick is wrong in his interpretation of me.

It's better for everyone, but especially you, Squick, if you stop.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
what people post have an effect on the forum which in turn effects me whether I am engaging them or not.

I think that the damage your campaign causes to Hatrack greater than the good it could ever hope to accomplish.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I can see how letting things slide isn't better for the people who are treated unfairly. And they are also part of the community.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Squick is wrong in his interpretation of events. This years-long grudge he is holding would be better confined to the ether.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I am writing in generalities, not in specifics.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
A long, drawn-out battle can be more disruptive than the initial nastiness that triggered it and if there's no realistic expectation of changing the negative behavior that you are responding to, then its not only distracting, but futile.
To a certain extent, I agree with this. I have no expectation of changing kat's behavior by my reaction to her. But it's not her behavior that I am aiming to change.

Consider, even when I laid it out (and serveral other people requested that she take it down) that what she did (in the extremely unlikely case that she didn't intend to insult him) was going to hurt Blayne, she wouldn't take it down. It wasn't until Noemon asked her to that she did. She goes to some length to make it clear that's the reason she did it.

kat isn't going to listen to me, but she will listen to some other people, at least some of whom I do believe are honestly concerned about the forum and don't just define it as the people in their group. I don't want to be the one who calls kat out when she starts acting nasty. It's not something I particularly enjoy; it's something that is going to end up with people attacking and insulting me; it's also not going to do much good in the short term. And, as I've said many times before, I wouldn't feel that I had to do it if I wasn't generally the only person who will.

MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
Squick is wrong in his interpretation of events. This years-long grudge he is holding would be better confined to the ether.

I don't know what he's specifically referring to, but my impression is that you occasionally say something that seems deliberately mean, sarcastic, or rudely dismissive. I usually let it slide because I don't want to get into one of these types of dramatic exchanges and whether your intention is to be caustic or not, I don't expect anything I say is going to change your behavior.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

boots,
How would you suggest supporting people as an alternative method? It's not something I can see working.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Squick is wrong about me and his campaign is damaging to the forum and very, very personal. It's been going on for years. There is nothing good to be gained by it.

I will not be opening this thread again.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
I don't want to be the one who calls kat out when she starts acting nasty.
The rest of your post I buy. This sentence I do not. [Smile]
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
boots,
How would you suggest supporting people as an alternative method? It's not something I can see working.

An idea:

In this case, instead of calling kat out on the allegedly/apparently mean comment, you could have just replied that you disagreed and reassured Blayne that you didn't think that opinion was representative of the members of the forum at large. In the cases where I feel attacked, it only takes a small "I'm with you buddy" to make me feel better.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Instead of this:

Poster A (the victim): I think x.

Poster B (the attacker): Snotty response

Poster C (the avenger): Poster B,it was really wrong of you to say snotty response to Poster A.

Try this:

Poster C (the advocate): Poster A, I think you are great and I agree or even if I don't agree, you are great for posting x.

That way, Poster B gets ignored instead of the thread becoming all about him or her.

MattP
Member # 10495

Even better.
pooka
Member # 5003

Has the animosity between kat a squick really been going on for years? I've only noticed it in the last six months or so. I mean, before that I didn't really think of them as aligned on very many subjects. But the real dance of anger is a pretty recent phenomenon.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's bad for the forum, because few people every play that card on themselves. It's always something someone else is doing that is bad for the forum, you'll notice. (This a non-particular use of "you").

I used to have a grudge against kat. It was weird because we had similar opinions on a lot of stuff but she just rubbed me wrong (as I saw it.) But the day came when I had to decide whether I was going to meet up with the Utah clump or continue to snub her. I'm glad that I chose to meet up with her. It's really fortunate since we both wound up moving east. I haven't seen her a lot, but I am glad I don't have to go through that struggle I did the first time.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I'm still in the clique.

This is because I am awesome, apparently.

Let's face it-- if you're not in the clique, you're less than stellar. I mean, you might even be pretty pathetic.

I feel pity for you, if you're not in the clique. Not enough to make me take you on as an adept, mind you-- who has the time really, to listen to your whining about not being popular? I'm sure someone does, but that's not me. No, I'll be over here, being Awesome.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I stick with the frame of mind I developed in high school. All those people not looking at me and not talking to me? It's 'cause they know how cool I am and don't want to embarass themselves by showing their unworthiness. Yeah. Too right.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I am too awesome for all your cliques. The sooner you come to grips with that fact, the better. Instead, you should just form a clique that does not include me, but which is devoted to admiring my awesomeness. That is the most healthy and productive use of your time.

You may commence your worship immediately.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

boots and Matt,
I have a couple of problems with your suggestions.

First, the types of things you are suggesting that I say wouldn't necessarily be honest. I very uncomfortable with the idea of using potentially false praise as some sort of counter-balance for someone being treated poorly.

Second, while it may help the individual attacked, it doesn't address the people reading and potentially using the displayed behavior as an indicator of what is and is not acceptible here. I'm not sure if either of you have read what I've written about what I call the two door problem, but I'm very committed to being that guy who will speak up first.

---

What I'm doing definitely has a negative effect on the halth of the forum. I am very aware of that.

Does it have a more negative effect than doing nothing? That I'm not so sure about. At her current rate, sure, but kat used to be nasty on a much more frequent basis in the past, before a couple of incidents ended with many people recognizing her behavior as being nasty and out of line.

If she stopped being nasty, I'd have no problem with her. If other people stepped in when she was, I would feel any need to. I don't think either of those two are unreasonable requests and, to me, are things I can live with much better than "Don't point it out when people (or at least popular people) do something wrong." If what I'm doing is having a negative effect, it is surely not happening in a vaccuum, unrelated to others actions or failures to act.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Squicky is a Lawful Good Paladin.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

It bugs me that this is seen as so out of the normal. If you don't see what I see, that's fine, but if you do (or are willing to grant that I honestly do), is acting the way I do really so out of the ordinary?
pooka
Member # 5003

I am not familiar with the two door thing, but I'll try searching.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
kat used to be nasty on a much more frequent basis in the past
And now you're nasty on a much more frequent basis than in the past.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

porter,
Where am I nasty?

---

Oh, that reminds me, Noemon, if you sent the email in the last couple of days, I never got it.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Sometimes, though, the attention gained from being nasty is a sort of reward. The attacker gets to be at the center of attention.

I don't know that this is a disincentive for being nasty. Negative attention can be more desirable than no attention.

I wouldn't suggest posting anything false to bolster the victim. Surely there is something good to say that wouldn't be a lie? This has the benefit of strengthening the victims social ties as well - giving them the kind of armour that the attacker may have.

And it sets a good example.

I do understand the impulse to shame wrongdoers, though, and, while it may be futile (sadly, especially from you because of the history) and may be damaging, I think you must do what you believe to be right.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.