FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Michael is a fraud. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Michael is a fraud.
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I'm so sorry pH, you have my hopes and so many hugs I wish I could give. I mean that sincerely.

Something similar has happened to a couple in their 30s who used to babysit me since I was 5. They were the closest adults to me outside my immediate family, so I think I know what you mean when you say surreal.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Remeber the Sex and the City episode where Samantha posted fliers all over the neighborhood about what a lying jerk her boyfriend Richard was? Best.

pH, I'm sorry that you had to go through that. One of the worst parts about these kinds of lies is that it goes back and infects all the good memories. It leaves you with nothing. I'm sorry for that, but I am also supremely glad that you just dodged an enormous bullet. And yes, our instincts are almost always, ALWAYS right. I am hard pressed to think of a single instance where I went against my instincts and it didn't come back and hit me in the face.

Here's for your health improving quickly, your heart and trust healing soon, and the right man finding and appreciating you. ((((pH))))

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
All friended/filtered.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Thankfully I was already registered. I don't know Ph's username though... unless it's PH?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
As curious as I am, I refuse to let this be the incident that finally drove me to register at LiveJournal. *grin*

Like I said, if someone else wants to explain it here, they're free to do so. I'm just so....bleh right now that I don't want to type the whole thing out.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
pH, what's your livejournal? Mine's erinelf88, if you'd like to friend me.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Really... some people are just horrible.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*

Oh, sweetie, I'm sorry.

Nothing as big or finding out as dreadful, but I dated a guy for two months once who was telling the same lie. He went to Thanksgiving out of state, I picked him up from the airport, and he mentioned that he was getting married to his fiance over Christmas break. !!!

First I heard about it. And then he was surprised because I wasn't interested in continuing to date.

So, not as big, but it turns out that happens quite a lot. And to the very best of women! [Smile]

(They got married that CHristmas and were divorced by the next Christmas. No big surprise there.)

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I must still be unfiltered after all these years. Dang.

Sorry this happened, Pearce. If you need someone to talk to, you know all the various ways you can reach me. My ears are open.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy oh boy.

Tom the story basically is an anonymous user posted a comment on another hatracker's LJ (as breyerchic said) insinuating that Michael was cheating on pH and also mentioned that he was 40.

pH didn't believe her at first (and was fairly creeped out by the whole thing) - she told Michael, who denied cheating on her. However, through some myspace contacts, pH found out that Michael might actually be 41, not 29 as she thought.

So she did some digging (with the help of internet ninjas) and found his birthdate (1966). [Eek!]

Ok, so pH is confused and upset - why on earth has this man been lying to her about his age for so long? In finding his birth date, she also found his parent's phone number (Note - pH never met Michael's parents, and this was an issue in their relationship. Turns out there was a reason Michael was keeping them apart!). So she rang Michael's parents, and spoke to his Dad who thought she must have got the wrong Michael, as his son (who was 41) was engaged and due to be married in 3 weeks.

pH knew she had the right Michael, because the address matched where she knew his parents lived.

So she rang Michael, he confessed all, cried and said he was sorry.

That's about it, I think. Obviously pH didn't accept the apology, and has changed her locks etc so Michael can't return.

Edit: I replaced some name calling. I think it's implicit anyway.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. What a bizarre situation.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't she have another boyfriend at some point in time, and that also ended badly, or was that this guy too?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
Didn't she have another boyfriend at some point in time, and that also ended badly, or was that this guy too?

Michael and I broke up for ~6 weeks during the summer because he hadn't introduced me to his parents, and he was spending too much time at his job (of course, who knows what kind of "job" he was doing). He got a new job working for Lockheed Martin (or at least that's what he told me), and promised to go to couples counseling and to introduce me to his parents, so I took him back.

Rest assured, he will not have such an opportunity ever again.

-pH

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say it, but it sounds like the job was the excuse for seeing the other girl.

Oh man, I'm sorry. [Frown]

I'll bet actual workaholics get a lot of suspicion because of guys like that.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, pH. I can't believe he lied to you for so long. What a horrible thing to do!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As curious as I am, I refuse to let this be the incident that finally drove me to register at LiveJournal. *grin*

And once again, I agree with Tom. Hell. Ice. [Eek!]

pH, I'm so sorry you're going through this. No one deserves crap like this. What a jerk!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, he must have been a really incredibly well-preserved 40-year-old. I'm 32, and I don't think I could pass for 29.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 39, and I regularly have people think I'm 25-28. Fahim's the same way. My sister, however, is only two years older than me, and looks *cough* her age. She hates it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, there are pictures you should be able to see on Facebook. He's blond. I'd believe 30.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Pearce, I am a friend but I don't appeared to be filtered (unfiltered?).

And I am so sorry. I hope you get better fast (so you have more energy to exact revenge).

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, he must have been a really incredibly well-preserved 40-year-old. I'm 32, and I don't think I could pass for 29.

I'm 23 and I don't think I could pass for anything below 25. Though when I shave my goatee off no one believes I'm older than 18.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
What a schmuck, good riddance I say! I'm sorry somebody you had so much emotion invested in turned out to be such a tool. [Frown]

Who knew being decent could be too advanced for a rocket scientist?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
This guy sounds eerily -- Eerily -- like the man my sister was seeing. Not the same, but I think it's worse to know there are multiple iterations of him in the world.

i'd like to read the story on your lj...it's turnthepage, but i'm pretty sure i don't have access to your top secret stuff [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Random question....

Does anyone know if they will let me bring my prescription cough syrup on the plane? I really need to have it with me; I don't know how else I will make it through the flight.

-pH

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You're 32?

To the random question- I would put doses of the syrup in small bottles of some kind and put them in my pockets.

Other option would be non-perscription cough meds in pill form to tide you over. Take your last dose of perscription before checking in, then midway take the non script. You'll probably be fine.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Travel Security Administration guidelines on carry-ons: specifically medications

quote:
You may bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes.
quote:
You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. BUT if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers at the checkpoint for further inspection.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Prescriptions are fine. Just bring a copy of the prescription, just in case.

I have declared kids' juice, diaper cream, etc. on the last few flights I've been on. They don't have a problem with it. You just tell them that it's there and put it through the x-ray with your other stuff.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, pH. *Hugs*

There are names for boys like that (no matter what their age, males who act like that are boys, not men). But since every one of them aside from "lying scum" are composed of language I can't use here, I'll simply say that the whole thing sucks and I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, curious would you have thought Tom was older or younger? I thought he was younger but not enough to matter (more I was stuck on 2005).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm so sorry, pearce

(((hugs)))

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's pretty crazy, I'm so sorry to hear that.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, pH. That is truly despicable of him.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry pH [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

My friend Karen got involved with a guy named Gary. Nice, hardworking guy. Six months later he disappeared, along with her car and a lot of her money.

She managed to track down Gary's sister, and when she explained who she was, Gary's sister said "Oh, not again." It turns out that Gary had abandoned his wife and kid, and for years had been doing the same thing to Karen and many other women.

Karen recovered the car, though not the money. After that, she took a vow of celibacy for a year. (And, eventually, got involved with a much better guy.)

It was disturbing -- most shady people, you can get a sense that they're shady. Gary was a sociopath -- he didn't give off any signals at all.

But knowing Gary was valuable in a way. I know a few folks who're suspicious types who're always speculating on whether someone is shady and claiming that they can tell when someone is... I like to tell them about Gary, because with someone like that, you really can't tell, and that being suspicious all the time is a waste of time because it still won't keep you safe. There's just going to be some jerks like Gary in the world, and being paranoid and mistrustful all the time wastes your time and keeps you from living your life.

Anyway... I hope you'll be able to learn what you can from this awful mess, and then put it behind you. Go ahead and have a real life, and leave Michael to the wreck he's made of his life.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I remember reading about your problems in the past, ph, though I didn't have much to say since I don'[t know you or anything.

I remember all that time you said he spent "at work."

You complained he was working an absurd amount of the time... yeah. I think we all now know what he was doing.

Well. As Tom said, you weren't being paranoid, things were bugging you for a very good reason. There really WAS something wrong! *hugs* At the very least, it's comforting to know you weren't being crazy or stupid. Not at all pleasant situation, but now things fall into place. I mean... wow.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... don't know what to say....
((((hugs))))

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's triple bad for using her past relationships to convince her that she was being paranoid and unreasonable. "I'm not like so-and-so." Jerk face.

There is at least one other girlfriend besides the wife-to-be, because she was the one who tipped her off, citing a code of 'chicks before dicks.' (I assume this the girl-power equivalent of Bros before Hos, and I certainly approve.)

I am not a violent person, but I wish someone would stomp his privates until they hear a popping sound.

On the bright side, pH is feeling totally vindicated and un-crazy, which is good. I mean, so many break-ups are emotionally murky, but this isn't. He's a bad person, plain and simple. I can see why that has made this a bit easier for pH.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, pH. [Frown] I'm sorry this happened to you, what an asshole (sorry for the unfiltered profanity, but this is a situation that deserves it). Send me a message through the usual means if you need help with anything.

I hate when jerkwads sully the name Michael.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I swear, this makes me want to only date those to whom I am formerly introduced by trusted acquaintances who can vouch for his character.

Not that guarantees anything, but still.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
((Pearce))

I vote we organize a private-stomping mission. I'd be happy to help.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Loves and support to you pH!
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks pH. And here I thought we engineers were such nice guys.

My wife had a similar situation happen years ago. She was dating someone and they had discussed getting married. He found out that he had a son by his ex-girlfriend in California (he lived in Florida) and decided that he wanted to be a part of his son's life, so he convinced K to move to California with him so they could be near him. He went out first to get things settled and K was to follow in a few weeks with the rest of their things.

She got a call from his parents a few days after he got there to tell her that he had married his ex-girlfriend. They were very apologetic that their son had been such a jerk and told her to keep anything he left to sell and try and recoup some of the financial loss.

It turned out he planned it all along, but just couldn't tell her. It was much easier to just move and never have to see her again. I bet he's turned out to be a great role model for his son.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I swear, this makes me want to only date those to whom I am formerly introduced by trusted acquaintances who can vouch for his character.
There was an ad for a service like this at the bottom of the page until a few hours ago, at which point Google started pushing "Amazon Breakthrough Novel" awards.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Michael and I broke up for ~6 weeks during the summer because he hadn't introduced me to his parents, and he was spending too much time at his job (of course, who knows what kind of "job" he was doing). He got a new job working for Lockheed Martin (or at least that's what he told me) ...

Assuming that he lives in Louisiana (rather than actually being 107 yrs old and/or living in California), I'd hazard a guess that he is or has been working for a Campbell family business.

Sucks, pH. As MattP said, at least you weren't to the point of married yet, and as TomD said, at least you weren't paranoid or crazy. Small favors. [Frown]

But no more Ratfink Boy in your life! Yay! *shakes fist

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Michael and I broke up for ~6 weeks during the summer because he hadn't introduced me to his parents, and he was spending too much time at his job (of course, who knows what kind of "job" he was doing). He got a new job working for Lockheed Martin (or at least that's what he told me) ...

Assuming that he lives in Louisiana (rather than actually being 107 yrs old and/or living in California), I'd hazard a guess that he is or has been working for a Campbell family business.

Sucks, pH. As MattP said, at least you weren't to the point of married yet, and as TomD said, at least you weren't paranoid or crazy. Small favors. [Frown]

But no more Ratfink Boy in your life! Yay! *shakes fist

That first listing (Campbell Racing Systems, LLC) is his company. This I know for sure. Wow, it's crazy what you can find on the internet.

Edit: Are websites like that legit? Like, if I paid the $40, would they steal my credit card info, or would I actually get a whole bunch of good information?

-pH

MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are websites like that legit? Like, if I paid the $40, would they steal my credit card info, or would I actually get a whole bunch of good information?
I don't know if that particular site is legit, but there is a substantial economy in "background check" web sites. These companies subscribe to a number of government and private databases from which they can get employment histories, previous addresses, names and relationships of family members, real estate transaction info, etc.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
pH, I just caught the thread -- I'm really sorry about what happened, and really glad that you are safe.

Don't do crazy things and compromise your safety and wellness, okay?

Jerks like this guy could be far creepier and jerkier than you even want to suspect.

Take care and give yourself time to heal.

*gentle hug*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shan:
Don't do crazy things and compromise your safety and wellness, okay?

Exactly. The more you stay involved, the more chance he has to continue messing up your life, either directly or indirectly.

The worst damage you can do to him is remove your wonderful and lovely self from his life utterly. Do it. Anything else is attention, and any attention is good attention for people like this.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
... Aside from telling his other girlfriends.

Oh. And BTW. Private-stomping is good. I think OSC's idea of flaying and dipping in boiling oil is better, though.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't JT near you, and a strong dude? I imagine he'd be excited to go private-stomping.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Please avoid the private stomping. I think he deserves it, but it can't help, especially if it's been plotted out in public on the Internet.

The law can at times be somewhat forgiving of things done in response to such low behavior. Pre-meditation makes such legal forgiveness much harder to obtain.

More important, though, is what CT said.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I don't think anyone here is serious about any kind of physical violence toward Michael, Dag. [Smile]

-pH

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.