FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Michael is a fraud. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Michael is a fraud.
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the key (or guideline) for me would be that you want to hold off on serious attachment until you are stable and at a point where you can start a relationship again fresh and not rush it too much. I think rebound dating tends to escalate quickly (because you want to get back to the level of intimacy that you just lost) but is generally not healthy in the long run (or short run for that matter)

Edit: I think it really boils down to you getting comfortable being single again. Cause our identity changes at least some as we get further and further into a relationship. so when that's no longer there to at least partly define us, we have to get settled back into being single before we can really start fresh with a new person.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
I think the key (or guideline) for me would be that you want to hold off on serious attachment until you are stable and at a point where you can start a relationship again fresh and not rush it too much. I think rebound dating tends to escalate quickly (because you want to get back to the level of intimacy that you just lost) but is generally not healthy in the long run (or short run for that matter)

So what you're saying is, you won't be my rebound rocket scientist? [Frown] Darn. [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
well, I think you'd have to give it some time anyway cause I'm on the other side of the country... but by the time you got out this way I could potentially be your rebound rocket scientist [Smile] and when I tell you I'm 25 I'm not lying [Smile]
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

*siiiiiiiiiidles over again* So....how YOU doin', rocket boy?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I know lots of single rocket scientists. But most of them are kinda weird, and all are awaaaay out her in California. So I don't think I'll introduce you. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I would keep a photocopy of that check he's supposed to be sending, BTW.

Okay, well I shouldn't, but think you should. Something along those lines.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

hey now kq... we need as much help as we can get [Smile]

and for the record I'm doing alright if a bit tired [Smile] and happy that you can definately still manage some cheerful banter amidst the justified anger pH [Smile]

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I know lots of single rocket scientists. But most of them are kinda weird, and all are awaaaay out her in California. So I don't think I'll introduce you. [Wink]

I'm in California [Blushing]

Oh, and I love space.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
How old are you? Most of the single ones I know well (not all, but most) are older... And still single for a reason...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And still single for a reason...
[Frown] I hate that phrase. It implies that if someone isn't married, then there must be something wrong with them. First, it encourages people to get married as soon as possible regardless of whether it's a good decision, and second, it's quite uncharitable.

Third, it implies that there getting married equals a stamp of approval. It isn't.

quote:

"You're like a serial killer in prison."
"Women marry them all the time!"

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
quote:
And still single for a reason...
[Frown] I hate that phrase. It implies that if someone isn't married, then there must be something wrong with them. First, it encourages people to get married as soon as possible regardless of whether it's a good decision, and second, it's quite uncharitable.

Third, it implies that there getting married equals a stamp of approval. It isn't.

quote:

"You're like a serial killer in prison."
"Women marry them all the time!"

My brother is not married, and there is nothing wrong with him. But he does not socialize enough to make friends. He won't get married until he does.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
And you're prescient now?
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think rushing into a marriage is a lot riskier than waiting to get married, even if waiting means you get stigmatized.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He won't get married until he does.
While I agree that 'still single for a reason' is an unkind thing to say, from a purely pragmatic standpoint not socializing enough to make friends does make one's chances of finding a suitable partner for marriage worse. If you don't socialize, what's left? Random chance meetings, and work?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Shy, introverted people do get married all the time.

To answer the question directly, how many couples here met on the internet?

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:

Is that not considered socializing?

I certainly consider it socializing - it helps me meet my quota. [Smile]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
eros beat me to it.

internet forums ARE social.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Forums are not the only way people meet on the internet.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Yes, but how many ways are there to meet people on the internet that you wouldn't consider social?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

*sigh* Don't split hairs.

I'm saying that you don't have to chat up every barista and go to dances in order to get married.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I think you're being overly defensive about this. I didn't suggest it was impossible to get into a good marriage if you don't 'chat up every barista...' just that insofar as such things can be tangibly guessed at, one's chances are not improved by not socializing.

You're less likely to draw the ace of hearts if you only rarely draw from the deck.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Sure - but that's certainly not reason enough for other to walk around passing out judgments.

Added: That also implies that everyone is waiting for the ace of hearts as opposed to something in the higher cards in a red suit.

[ November 06, 2007, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Sure - but that's certainly not reason enough for other to walk around passing out judgments.
quote:

Er.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

You'll have to spell out your objections directly, e.
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that I'm shy, quite, and I'm fairly defensive when people use the word "shy" in a negative way. Shy isn't bad. Shy isn't good or bad. It's just shy.

I hate parties, but I love the people in my life. I love solitude. I am energized by time alone and thinking, just the way (I understand) that extroverts are energized by interacting with people.

Don't be surprised when shy people are defensive. We hear things like "she'll never find a husband" or "she's so gifted, too bad she is backwards". There are books (written by unshy people) about how to help your child not be shy. Then if we are smart, we look at our lives, our very full lives with friends and happiness, and think about those poor people who have to go to party after party :-).

To be somewhat on topic, pH, I am sorry that this person was a scumbag and I'm glad that you found out. I hope for great happiness in the future for you.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Javert Hugo,

quote:

Added: That also implies that everyone is waiting for the ace of hearts as opposed to something in the higher cards in a red suit.

Well, of course it's not. I thought I already made it clear I thought it wasn't a good reason to pass judgement.

As for higher cards...heh, well, it depends on what game you're playing. An ace is either high card or low card...but in the games I most commonly play, it's the high card. In some games it's the high card OR the low card. Anyway, I didn't suggest that people waiting were waiting for the lowest.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are books (written by unshy people) about how to help your child not be shy.
That's because shyness is a mental disorder. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

I think my metaphor was muddled. I was saying that some people are waiting for the ace of hearts and only the ace of hearts and even if they meet the ace of diamonds then no good because that isn't the ace of hearts, and other people are a go when they meet someone who is anything from a 10 to an ace in either a diamond or a heart.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
As for higher cards...heh, well, it depends on what game you're playing. An ace is either high card or low card...but in the games I most commonly play, it's the high card. In some games it's the high card OR the low card. Anyway, I didn't suggest that people waiting were waiting for the lowest.
I'm pretty sure she was implying that not everyone is waiting for the best, but is willing to settle for (or is actively seeking) great, good or above average.

Edit: or she could post while I was posting, making my post useless!

Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
What if I'm looking for a set? Or a full house even (why not?)
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
There are books (written by unshy people) about how to help your child not be shy.
That's because shyness is a mental disorder. [Wink]
Pshaw. [Smile]
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I need to clarify that there are real reasons. Like commitment issues, abandonment issues, anger management issues, and a lot of other baggage these people would have to overcome before they would be in a relationship. Reasons. Reasons that meeting someone nice is not going to change, and reasons that have in fact broken several hearts.

I love these folk to be friends with them, but the ones I'm thinking of, I would not want to be in a relationship with, because I'm pretty sure I'd end up hurt.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
As would kpc, probably.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Javert: I doubt he will get married until he does, is that better?

Look being an introvert is not a bad thing in of itself. In the case of my brother he actually is not introverted. But he fails to empathize with others, and is very rigid in how he acts around people. Hence he is starting to withdraw from society.

Those behaviors DO lower his chances of finding a suitable partner for life, which is something HE desperatly wants.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
That's how I interpreted your post, kq. Not "They're not married, there must be a reason!" but "I know from experience that they have problems that would make it unlikely for them to be in a relationship."

I have a friend who feels lonely and wants a relationship. But I don't think that will happen until he addresses the problems he has. I'm not judging him because he's single -- I'd think the same things if he were in a relationship.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Exactly, Shig-- except when they're in a relationship it's two people hurting instead of one.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
As would kpc, probably.

I'd like to hope so. [Wink]
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

kq, I understand where you're coming from and it's why I phrased things that a lot of us are normal/decent guys (certainly not everyone) and I'd even be willing to grant that my field probably has a greater proportion than some others of people with let's call them "personality oddities" that don't lend so much towards good/stable relationships.

I'm just arguing that there's some of us who are single atm primarily because we don't have/take enough opportunities to get out there and meet others and/or meet other women (though I shouldn't complain since my work environment has proportionally a lot more women than many other areas within the industry). at least for me it's more of the "not as many cards drawn out of the deck" thing (to borrow an earlier analogy).

And that could launch me into a whole 'nother discussion (which has already been partly started) but I don't know that it's appropriate to derail pH's thread more than it already is [Smile]

Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
If I get a crush on someone, how do I know if I really like them, or if it's a "rebound?" I honestly don't know how to tell the difference. I don't really think I understand what a rebound is, either.

-pH

I know this input is out of nowhere but I just thought I'd say that for me, a rebound is someone who helps you get over the first person by helping with physical contact withdrawals. I always miss hugs and whatnot and rebounds are stand-ins until I'm in a better situation. I don't know if anyone else sees it this way, but if I only think about a person when I don't want to be alone, I think he/she might be a rebound. If I start thinking about them as far as what I like about their personality and notice I'd choose to hang out with them for a specific reason, then I think they're less of a rebound and more of a possibility.

Hope things get better for you, pH. Hugs.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I'm very sorry to hear that this happened to you Pearce.

As for knowing when to date again, I've had trouble with that too. I think Tom's advice is spot-on about timing. It's been almost a year since my fiancee passed away, and I'm starting to feel like I'm ready to go and date again. I feel like I should. I'm still young like you are, I'm 23, so we both have time. I'ts just hard being single after years of a long term relationship. I'm finding it very hard to determine whether feelings I have for one girl or another are the beginnings of a "rebound" relationship, and I honestly doubt if it's possible to tell.

I wish you the very best in finding a good and honest man, they are out there. I know everybody has said this, but my email is always open if you want to talk about it at all. [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know this input is out of nowhere but I just thought I'd say that for me, a rebound is someone who helps you get over the first person by helping with physical contact withdrawals. I always miss hugs and whatnot and rebounds are stand-ins until I'm in a better situation. I don't know if anyone else sees it this way, but if I only think about a person when I don't want to be alone, I think he/she might be a rebound. If I start thinking about them as far as what I like about their personality and notice I'd choose to hang out with them for a specific reason, then I think they're less of a rebound and more of a possibility.
I think this is about right. I can identify people I'm rebounding with because when I step back from the situation, I can tell that I'm "settling" for them, and I almost always have put up roadblocks in my head to having a serious relationship.

Also, I've noticed that if a man is a rebound and not a serious possibility, I continue to rehash the old relationship emotionally even while being with the other person physically. And if I feel like I'm starting to have serious feelings toward the new person, they're usually a shadow of the feelings I had for the person I just broke up with.

I know it's not a rebound when I'd rather think about the new person than the old.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Kasie H:

I know it's not a rebound when I'd rather think about the new person than the old.

I can see that. Although right now, I'm still occasionally struck with the angry-type-feelings...speaking of which...

You guys, I'm fairly certain he did get married. He gave my things back with a few weird items that weren't even mine, and in between asking him about them, I asked him several times if he'd gotten married. He answered the questions about the items, but he would never give me a simple yes or no about the marriage. And if he did get married, I feel obligated to tell his wife. Does this count as dwelling on it? At what point should I just let it go? It just makes me so angry that he might not have told her anything...or might have invented some weaselly lie that made her still okay with going through with the wedding. And I feel a little guilty that I couldn't contact her in time to prevent this from happening. At the same time, I know that dwelling on this is bad....but I really feel bad for her and want her to know the truth. I know that none of this is directly my fault, but I still feel kind of guilty for not...I'm not exactly sure what it is that makes me feel guilty.

-pH

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Presumably he is living with his wife. Call and leave a message.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I don't have a home phone number for him....ever. I have 2 cell phones. Although I suppose she probably changed her name, based on some things he told me in the past...perhaps I can find something that way.

-pH

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

You should ABSOLUTELY NOT feel guilty.

I know exactly what you mean. That brief period where I was made complicit in that one guy's cheating without knowing left ME feeling like I'd done something wrong.

This goes a long way towards explaing my absolute abhorence and disgust towards anyone who is cheating in just about any way. It's despicable and selfish, because it hurts everyone they have contact with.

For this...I don't know. If you think she doesn't know, then maybe...but you don't have to. It might be dwelling on it.

My feeling is that whoever told you also told her. My experience says that it isn't going to last regardless of what you do. The best thing for you is to burn his stuff and forget him completely. He's not worth a second more thought.

pH
Member # 1350

I'm taking his stuff to give to charity today, actually. Along with all the stuffed animals and things that he gave me. Maybe some kids will have a nice Christmas. [Smile]

-pH

Noemon
Member # 1115

Why don't you ask the person who told you about him if she also told his then fiancee?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Because the person who told me did so through anonymous Livejournal comments. I suppose I could reply to the comments again, but I doubt she's still reading them.

-pH

Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah, I see; I'd thought that at some point the two of you had taken the conversation to email.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, you could check wedding registries at the likely places and call some churches that they may have gotten married at (location and denomination should be easy to figure out). Whether they did get married or are planning to, the girl deserves to know.

And don't call him again, for any reason.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.